3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a big price drop for something that's only a couple months old. Really screws with the early adopters too.

Now then, what're people's bets on why they're doing this? PS Vita breathing down their necks? Relatively lackluster sales? Clearing stock for a 3DSLite? Get to conspiracy'n, people.

Unrelated but I have a feeling Megaman Legends 3 is going to come back after this. I just got the feeling that it got canceled because they didn't think they'd make much. Good thing the 3DS is dropping though. I want one for DOA but the original $250 was too much. Have a feeling alot of people are going to buy them now.

[quote name='Kaiser499']3DS has been doomed to fail since it launched.[/QUOTE]

If they didnt saturate the market with 10 billion differint ds's which were all basicly the same thing then the 3ds would be doing better right now. Not to mention that their lauch line up has been worse then the ps3's launch lineup. Sony must be loving this. That Being said, i think the 3ds will rebound with this drop and it will sit side by side with my launch vita

[quote name='Phrozenx']idk, to be honest this looks kinda fake lol.[/QUOTE]
It's not even a good fake. There are mistakes all over it and it doesn't even almost sound official.

That's like $200 in Japan, not $150. Check your exchange rates next time. Also, mark countries, because it's only been specified for Japan.

Well, the main URL is legit ... so who knows? That price would have me consider picking one up - on special through Amazon, when they throw in a little credit or a game to boot. Still waiting for something compelling that isn't a remake, though.

At that price the console has got some of my interest. Although the poor battery life is a huge turnoff.

Console needs more games.

All trolling aside, this is quite a shock if true. I was expecting $200 at the very least, but this price just makes too much sense, especially given the Vita's incoming arrival.

Not saying it isn't worth its current price, hell bought mine day one and love it to bits, but it's just when you look at what the vita brings to the table for the same price, it becomes a little more than comparing apples and oranges.

I was looking at picking up a DS in the next few months for Pokemon (got that craving again), so it looks like I'll just wait for this.

[quote name='KingBroly']That's like $200 in Japan, not $150. Check your exchange rates next time. Also, mark countries, because it's only been specified for Japan.[/QUOTE]

Given that the 3DS retailed in Japan for 25k yen and $250 in the US, assuming a 15k yen price point correlates to a $150 US price isn't outside the realm of reason.

Either way, a cheaper 3DS is still a cheaper 3DS. Damn do I love it when people really compete for my money.

For Japan, if you buy before august 11, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Free VC NES games for 3DS:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Free VC gameboy advance games for 3DS:

Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
+ 5 more

[quote name='Salamando3000']Given that the 3DS retailed in Japan for 25k yen and $250 in the US, assuming a 15k yen price point correlates to a $150 US price isn't outside the realm of reason.

Either way, a cheaper 3DS is still a cheaper 3DS. Damn do I love it when people really compete for my money.[/QUOTE]

But it was like $300 Japan to $250 US. Plus, early adopters are getting A LOT of games it seems, including GBA games, for free.

It's not guaranteed to be $150 in US yet. They've only announced the japanese price.

If we've learned anything lately it's that Nintendo of America is fully and completely incompetent and probably will go with $200.

Love my 3DS. Haters just hate, but i've had a lot of fun with that system since launch.

That said probably could have waited or the price drop.

Good job to all the gamers who did not fall for this overpriced insult. Even Nintendo was forced to react after the awful sales of the 3DS. This system should have never have been more than $200. Hopefully this will lead to more 3rd party support.

Nintendo's financial report must have been fucking bad

markmacd Mark MacDonald
And the U.S. drop: RT @CTZ HOLY SHIT! Nintendo just dropped the price of the 3DS to $169.99. Just got PR, going up on Dtoid in a bit

that extra $20 is the Nintendo of America tax

Last edited:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438813

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.
A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.
The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

[quote name='Hiei69']Good job to all the gamers who did not fall for this overpriced insult. Even Nintendo was forced to react after the awful sales of the 3DS. This system should have never have been more than $200. Hopefully this will lead to more 3rd party support.

Nintendo's financial report must have been fucking bad[/QUOTE]

This. After sony's vita price announcment i lmao'd the 3ds price even more

Yeah more than anything this is a response to the Vita price.

Nintendo hoped 3D would be the big selling point, it wasn't. They made money on the million or so people willing to jump in early, now for the holiday they push a really strong lineup of games at almost $100 less than Vita.

I don't see how it's a bad thing for Nintendo..

[quote name='jer7583']It's not guaranteed to be $150 in US yet. They've only announced the japanese price.

If we've learned anything lately it's that Nintendo of America is fully and completely incompetent and probably will go with $200.

Love my 3DS. Haters just hate, but i've had a lot of fun with that system since launch.

That said probably could have waited or the price drop.[/QUOTE]

This has actually been my favorite Nintendo portable system, but I definitely think it was overpriced. Anywho, all the free games for early adopters will be nice.

What?! I cannot believe this. Nintendo dropping the price by almost $100 is just absurd. I'm still having trouble believing this is real. This is Nintendo basically admitting the things a complete failure.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Alright guys over/under how many 3ds's will be sold in the us from now till the 12'th, i say 1,500[/QUOTE]

if you're smart you'd buy one at best buy less than a month before the drop and then get a price adjustment, and get the free NES/GBA games.

[quote name='Celsius']
Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what to make of the bolded part. On one hand, exclusive content to early adopters is cool, I guess. On the other, they have no plans to make Metroid Fusion or Mario Kart Super Circuit available to everyone else? Pretty lame.

As someone who already owns a 3DS, the big news from this announcement is the expansion of 3DS' Virtual Console to include GBA games! ...And I guess non-updated NES games means potential for other home console support. Hopefully they don't make you rebuy anything you already bought on the Wii.

[quote name='Salamando3000']I don't know what to make of the bolded part. On one hand, exclusive content to early adopters is cool, I guess. On the other, they have no plans to make Metroid Fusion or Mario Kart Super Circuit available to everyone else? Pretty lame.[/QUOTE]

I think those games will be available, at a later date

[quote name='crazydom2']What?! I cannot believe this. Nintendo dropping the price by almost $100 is just absurd. I'm still having trouble believing this is real. This is Nintendo basically admitting the things a complete failure.[/QUOTE]

Its smart to react to the market. It's smart to profit the most off early adopters.

[quote name='jer7583']if you're smart you'd buy one at best buy less than a month before the drop and then get a price adjustment, and get the free NES/GBA games.[/QUOTE]

That was actually my first thought upon reading the article about the free games. :p

[quote name='KingBroly']10 Free NES games, 10 free GBA games. fuck yes.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have a voucher for a full retail 3DS game-- or about $100 back.

[quote name='jer7583']if you're smart you'd buy one at best buy less than a month before the drop and then get a price adjustment, and get the free NES/GBA games.[/QUOTE]

The free games are great but im not interested in those snes/gba games at the moment. However for that price ajustment, do they do that with consoles ?

[quote name='62t']I think those games will be available, at a later date[/QUOTE]

Nah, it seemed pretty clear they don't intend to, at least not currently..."Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future."

[quote name='Salamando3000']I don't know what to make of the bolded part. On one hand, exclusive content to early adopters is cool, I guess. On the other, they have no plans to make Metroid Fusion or Mario Kart Super Circuit available to everyone else? Pretty lame.[/QUOTE]

Probably just a PR way of avoiding confirming or denying the existence of a NES/GBA/SNES/etc Virtual Console and all the details that would need to be given along with that.

Expect it at a later date, there's no reason for them not to.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Nah, it seemed pretty clear they don't intend to, at least not currently..."Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future."[/QUOTE]

Aka they don't want to officially announce it yet. They're just announcing it for the ambassadors right now to appease the fury of the price drop happening this quick.

bread's done
Back