- - - - -

3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

• Please log in to reply
1608 replies to this topic

#991 xGunCrazyx

xGunCrazyx

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

Trolling or stupid? :-k

None of the above. What he's saying is true.
I still fail to see why Sony even bothered releasing a new handheld personally. People didn't want the better graphics/console ports back with the PSP, dunno why things have changed now. (At least as far as sales are concerned).
Posted Image

#992 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

Gah, I've gone back and forth a couple times already with the idea of buying a 3ds this week, activating it online, and getting the money back from Best Buy.

On the one hand, I really want to play Ocarina of Time 3d and there are potentially tons of Gameboy Virtual Console games that I'd love to have. I need a 3ds to get/play them and if I bought it now/soon, I could get a bunch of games plus a decent price.

On the other hand, I don't really want to spend too much money on videogames heading into the holidays and Nintendo will very likely release an improved 3ds at some point within the next, I dunno, 18 months.

Right now I'm in the "I'm not buying one even with the ability to get 20 games and a price correction on August 12th". But when I woke up this morning, I was sure that I was going to hit up Best Buy at some point today to buy one.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#993 BobbyTastic

BobbyTastic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

Gah, I've gone back and forth a couple times already with the idea of buying a 3ds this week, activating it online, and getting the money back from Best Buy.

On the one hand, I really want to play Ocarina of Time 3d and there are potentially tons of Gameboy Virtual Console games that I'd love to have. I need a 3ds to get/play them and if I bought it now/soon, I could get a bunch of games plus a decent price.

On the other hand, I don't really want to spend too much money on videogames heading into the holidays and Nintendo will very likely release an improved 3ds at some point within the next, I dunno, 18 months.

Right now I'm in the "I'm not buying one even with the ability to get 20 games and a price correction on August 12th". But when I woke up this morning, I was sure that I was going to hit up Best Buy at some point today to buy one.

Glad I'm not the only one angsting, and I don't even have money in the budget for it, but yeah. This. ^

Official Hammerwatch Dispenser - $2 PayPal each

Well aren't the pandas going extinct?

You wouldn't be if you stopped being lazy and aggressively copulated.

Never have truer words been spoken.

#994 a_dirty_Shisno

a_dirty_Shisno

Thievius Cagcoonus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

Holy shit never thought of that, thanks ! :applause:

Who other than BB does price adjustments within 30 days? :bouncy:

You're welcome, but it actually has been mentioned several times throughout this thread, and for some reason I didn't even think about it myself until I read it here. Someone said that Target has a 14 day price match policy, and now you would be within it.

If you want to see some humorous and ridiculous message board posts, visit the GameFAQs 3DS forum. There's a few posters that are very adamant about people using the price match guarantee policy to get the games plus the discount and calling it "immoral". It's quite the clusterfuck.

*snip*

If you read through all of my banter, props to you. :D

Yup, those are the type of people I was referring to. I believe some people even posted similar in this thread. Either that or all my googling this has made me completely forget where I read what.

And I read it. My eyes hurt a little now, but I read it. :)

--- I am the Thievius Cagcoonus.
---What the hell happened there!  I started writing a serious post and suddenly I became an infomercial!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- US Government To Tackle Patent Trolls (whenever they get around to it).  Write your Senators and Congressmen (to make them get it done).

--- California Minimum Wage: $9/hr (July 2014), $10/hr (January 2016)

#995 Xenogears

Xenogears

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

Try it before you buy it.

If you like it for $170, get it. If not, dont. But seriously, with a product like this, you really should try it first.

The 3D is not for everyone. I hated it actually. I like 3D movies every once in awhile. Avatar IMAX 3D was amazing. But I don't know if its the glasses free 3D, or the smaller screen. But it looked like garbage to me. Combine that with barely better than PSP graphics "poppin out at you", and materials that felt cheasy and cheap, and I made up my mind on no sale.

I was fine with 3 hours of IMAX 3D avatar, but got a headache after 15 minutes of 3DS. I have yet to see anyone actually say they like the 3D effect of the system. Has anyone gone through a full game with it on? Without feeling weird, and actually enjoyed it?

#996 xGunCrazyx

xGunCrazyx

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

I'm buying a 3DS and not planning to use 3D at all... I'm sure a lot of folks are doing the same thing
You can still enjoy the games that are coming out without the effect, so I don't see why that should stop you from purchasing it.
Posted Image

#997 crzyjoeguy

crzyjoeguy

King of Beers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

I'm buying a 3DS and not planning to use 3D at all... I'm sure a lot of folks are doing the same thing
You can still enjoy the games that are coming out without the effect, so I don't see why that should stop you from purchasing it.

yeah thats what i figured because when i saw the 3d it kinda hurt my eyes. but i researched it and found out you have to hold it in a certain position, so i figured ill check it out when i get mine. plus i heard OoT has really good 3d so i figure ill check it out. but i imagine that most of my 3ds time will be without the 3d aspect.
Posted Image

#998 iforeverlovemyfamily

iforeverlovemyfamily

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:10 PM

I know it's a long shot but is anyone else here hoping and wishing that the 4 outta of 5 remaining unannounced GBA games as part of the 3DS Ambassadors 20 free games program are Sonic Advance 1-3 and Super Mario World aka Super Mario Advance 2?. man i would love to have those on the 3DS to play anywhere :drool:. :pray:.

#999 daminion

daminion

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

I know it's a long shot but is anyone else here hoping and wishing that the 4 outta of 5 remaining unannounced GBA games as part of the 3DS Ambassadors 20 free games program are Sonic Advance 1-3 and Super Mario World aka Super Mario Advance 2?. man i would love to have those on the 3DS to play anywhere :drool:. :pray:.

Sort of doubt any of the extra games will be non-Nintendo titles :)

#1000 iforeverlovemyfamily

iforeverlovemyfamily

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:40 PM

Sort of doubt any of the extra games will be non-Nintendo titles :)

Damn...

forgot about that part already :bomb:

I wish they could let this one slide and include those as non-nintendo published titles in this deal. i don't see why not since there are multiple games featuring Mario & Sonic together, Sega games released on nintendo gamecube and Wii VC/WiiWare, etc.

What else do you think we could possibly get if not those three Sonic Advance games?.

#1001 heybtbm

heybtbm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:43 PM

The price drop is tempting...but a 3 hour battery? I don't know.

#1002 spidey35

spidey35

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:51 PM

[quote name='chimpmeister']Actually a price drop of this scope, this soon into the life of a new console, is very unusual. Most people including industry analysts would not have predicted this. And Nintendo has traditionally been VERY slow to drop the prices of their hardware (software too for that matter, their greatest hits for Wii just finally game out a few moy a 3DS just for 20 old NES and GBA downloadable games.
I understand what you are saying and I totally agree that this is very unusual, but the fact of the matter is that this is happening and if it did'nt happen now it was probably going to happen when the Vita comes out.

#1003 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:56 PM

The price drop is tempting...but a 3 hour battery? I don't know.

I am not sure where this whole 3 hour battery crap is coming from. I fully charged my system yesterday after I bought it as youy are supposed to do for anything like a ds, cell phone, psp, etc. Once it was fully charged I did all my setup, played some games, updated the system, and watched Stan Helsing via netflix <while I played some COD black ops on my 360> and it did NOT kill my batter, and that was easily 5 hours of usage.

I honestly think alot of this battery issue comes from people not understanding how these types of devices and their battery charging are supposed to be done. Furthermore, If you really are concerned about the battery not lasting long enough for you, at Best Buy I saw the Nyko battery add-on kit, which has both the battery and charging dock for 14.99. Kind of odd since just the battery was 19.99, but still, thats a very viable option for anyone concerned.

So far I am happy with my 3ds. For what is going to be an eventual 170.00 purchase <once I get my refund in 2 weeks time that is;)> this has been a worthwhile purchase.
Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#1004 djricekcn

djricekcn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

It's 3 Hours if you use the 3D, the higher the more battery too. The sound volume portion doesn't really drain much more though.

#1005 TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin

Formerly Graff^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:49 AM

It's 3 Hours if you use the 3D, the higher the more battery too. The sound volume portion doesn't really drain much more though.

That's not true. The second part I mean. It doesn't matter if the 3D slider is at 10% or 100%, the battery drain is the same. If it's off it obviously makes a difference, but 3D on "a little" vs 3D on "a lot" makes no difference - the increased battery drain comes from the stronger backlighting needed and the extra GPU power to render every scene twice, it's not like you render the scene twiceer if you have the slider higher. Rendering twice is rendering twice, higher slider just means the rendered images are further apart.

TheSporkWithin.png
Trade List 3DS Friend Code: 0731-4785-9484

#1006 djricekcn

djricekcn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:54 AM

Well, I tried my own test. I wasn't idle at one single portion so that may have done it but with Tales of the Abyss, 3D all the way up was about 3 hours for me while slightly up was about 4ish hours.

Like I said, I wasn't idle at one place so not sure if that's the case.

#1007 GaveUpTomorrow

GaveUpTomorrow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:56 AM

I am not sure where this whole 3 hour battery crap is coming from. I fully charged my system yesterday after I bought it as youy are supposed to do for anything like a ds, cell phone, psp, etc. Once it was fully charged I did all my setup, played some games, updated the system, and watched Stan Helsing via netflix <while I played some COD black ops on my 360> and it did NOT kill my batter, and that was easily 5 hours of usage.

I honestly think alot of this battery issue comes from people not understanding how these types of devices and their battery charging are supposed to be done. Furthermore, If you really are concerned about the battery not lasting long enough for you, at Best Buy I saw the Nyko battery add-on kit, which has both the battery and charging dock for 14.99. Kind of odd since just the battery was 19.99, but still, thats a very viable option for anyone concerned.

So far I am happy with my 3ds. For what is going to be an eventual 170.00 purchase <once I get my refund in 2 weeks time that is;)> this has been a worthwhile purchase.

The whole 3-hour battery life comes from...oh I don't know, the 3 hour battery life of the system? It has nothing to do with how people charge the batteries. If you use the system purely for gaming and use the 3D effect, you get about 3 hours of gametime. Taking my 3DS with me to E3 had the battery fully drained after about 5 hours of playing a regular DS game (on the second highest brightness). Yea, if you jump around a bunch of the other functions that are less demanding, the battery does last longer. But if you use gaming alone, at a high brightness level, expect 3-5 hours max of game time.

#1008 UNC5052

UNC5052

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:23 AM

I bought a blue 3DS today at Best Buy, and I am enjoying it. I like the 3D effect, and it hasn't hurt my eyes any. The Best Buy salesperson confirmed to me that I will be able to do a price match and if for some reason I can't, I can just bring the system back as long as it is in good shape.

#1009 kevlar51

kevlar51

eats babies

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:32 AM

I'd like that, but in reality it'd be kind of silly for them to release a GBA port of an SNES game when they should just release the SNES game.

#1010 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:49 AM

Well, I tried my own test. I wasn't idle at one single portion so that may have done it but with Tales of the Abyss, 3D all the way up was about 3 hours for me while slightly up was about 4ish hours.

Like I said, I wasn't idle at one place so not sure if that's the case.

Tales of the Abyss is a 3ds game now?
Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#1011 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:56 AM

I'd like that, but in reality it'd be kind of silly for them to release a GBA port of an SNES game when they should just release the SNES game.

The GBA version got new levels. Just wish they would use the SNES control setting

Tales of the Abyss is a 3ds game now?

yup

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#1012 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:57 AM

GameFaqs is hilarious right now.

#1013 Lemarfanz

Lemarfanz

Video Games Are Art!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:07 AM

^ why?
I LOVE INDIE GAMES!

I SUPPORT THEM WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

#1014 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

So I told my wife all about this deal where people are buying the system at full-price now and getting a refund in 2 weeks and she wants us to buy a 3DS despite the fact that we have two DS Lites right now that get occasional playtime. My wife is just excited about having new technology.

I guess my hesitation is that Nintendo will either abandon the 3DS or release a much better version of it sometime next year. The battery life concerns me as does the current library of games. But I'm a sucker for new technology and the thought of getting 20 free games is pretty enticing. Right now I'm looking into selling my two DS Lites. I can trade in my Metallic Rose one for $50 on Amazon (which is probably the most I'd get for the system but I wouldn't be able to do the Best Buy price adjustment deal). The other one I would just sell on eBay.

So I'm looking at possibly upgrading from DS Lite to a 3DS and I'm wondering is it worth it. If the 3DS library doesn't pan out, I'll just be using it for its online capabilities (shop, Netflix, etc.) and playing regular DS games. Do people think it's a worthwhile gamble to upgrade?

Also, what are people's opinions about a possible 3DS Black Friday deal? I doubt that the price will drop any further, but I'm debating waiting until that time to purchase one hoping to score a free game or two with the system. Right now the only games that interest me are Zelda and LEGO Pirates.
Posted Image

#1015 iforeverlovemyfamily

iforeverlovemyfamily

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:10 AM

No port will ever beat the original SNES version but i'd definatly take the GBA version if it was the only way i could play this game on the go ;).

#1016 An Orange Cat

An Orange Cat

Pet My Fur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:18 AM

Anyone else notice Amazon has different ASIN numbers for the original 3ds and the lower price one? I wonder if that will prevent stores from having to do a price guarantee for returns. Maybe the UPC is different. I could see Nintendo sending fresh supplies to stores and getting the old UPC models back for repackaging.

#1017 iforeverlovemyfamily

iforeverlovemyfamily

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:22 AM

So I told my wife all about this deal where people are buying the system at full-price now and getting a refund in 2 weeks and she wants us to buy a 3DS despite the fact that we have two DS Lites right now that get occasional playtime. My wife is just excited about having new technology.

I guess my hesitation is that Nintendo will either abandon the 3DS or release a much better version of it sometime next year. The battery life concerns me as does the current library of games. But I'm a sucker for new technology and the thought of getting 20 free games is pretty enticing. Right now I'm looking into selling my two DS Lites. I can trade in my Metallic Rose one for $50 on Amazon (which is probably the most I'd get for the system but I wouldn't be able to do the Best Buy price adjustment deal). The other one I would just sell on eBay.

So I'm looking at possibly upgrading from DS Lite to a 3DS and I'm wondering is it worth it. If the 3DS library doesn't pan out, I'll just be using it for its online capabilities (shop, Netflix, etc.) and playing regular DS games. Do people think it's a worthwhile gamble to upgrade?

Also, what are people's opinions about a possible 3DS Black Friday deal? I doubt that the price will drop any further, but I'm debating waiting until that time to purchase one hoping to score a free game or two with the system. Right now the only games that interest me are Zelda and LEGO Pirates.

Yes and definatly Yes @ $169.99 w/20 free games ;).

IMO i definatly see a Black Friday deal. no way there won't be one lol. i also heard news that the Flare Red 3DS has been confirmed for release sometime in november 2011 here in the US, along with the possibly of a Flare Red 3DS/Mario Kart 7 3D or Flare Red 3DS/Super Mario Land 3D bundle. so many sites are saying it's confirmed so i would'nt be surprised to actually see this happen.

If you don't care for the 20 free games offer i'd personally wait until Black Friday for the Flare Red model with (possibly) Mario Kart 7 3D or Super Mario Land 3D bundle. that red one looks amazing :D.

#1018 iforeverlovemyfamily

iforeverlovemyfamily

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:29 AM

Anyone else notice Amazon has different ASIN numbers for the original 3ds and the lower price one? I wonder if that will prevent stores from having to do a price guarantee for returns. Maybe the UPC is different. I could see Nintendo sending fresh supplies to stores and getting the old UPC models back for repackaging.

Doubt it will make a difference at this point since many people here that just went out and bought their 3DS's this week said that the sales associates at their Best Buy stores told them they'd have absolutly no problems getting the price adjustments come august 12th. things could change between now and then but i doubt anything will happen and they'll more than likely get their price matches as planned.

#1019 Kadin

Kadin

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:31 AM

I've read that even the existing models which are still likely to be in stores on the 12th will also get dropped in price - if there is in fact a new SKU. I started thinking the other day about Nintendo maybe doing something like taking out the SD card or something along with dropping the price. Unless there needs to be one included for it to work as it does today...

#1020 iforeverlovemyfamily

iforeverlovemyfamily

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:37 AM

I've read that even the existing models which are still likely to be in stores on the 12th will also get dropped in price - if there is in fact a new SKU. I started thinking the other day about Nintendo maybe doing something like taking out the SD card or something along with dropping the price. Unless there needs to be one included for it to work as it does today...

Not going to happen until the next model as far as any changes go. the SD card is necessary so that will never be taken out of 3DS's, this model or future ones. this is simply a price drop. everything will be there. no worries ;).