El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron

I chose Catherine over this...would love to get both but I just don't have the money. Will DEFINITELY be getting this when the price drops or there's a B2G1 deal (or better, B1G1).

worthy to note this was made by some of the dudes who worked on Okami, game is getting great reviews. Hoping to finish up my plat on Catherine before 16th of next month but we shall see.

After playing the demo, I was confused more than anything.. the game was STUNNING to view but completely "WTF?" in terms of gameplay and story.

Reviews are starting to come in:

9/10 - Game Informer
9/10 - PlayStation: The Official Magazine
9.5/10 - GameFan Magazine
A+ - Sci Fi Magazine
9/10 - Eurogamer
8/10 - EDGE Magazine

Out next Tuesday, just in time to trade in Catherine and get this for cheap.

[quote name='benmonkey']Reviews are starting to come in:

9/10 - Game Informer
9/10 - PlayStation: The Official Magazine
9.5/10 - GameFan Magazine
A+ - Sci Fi Magazine
9/10 - Eurogamer
8/10 - EDGE Magazine

Out next Tuesday, just in time to trade in Catherine and get this for cheap.[/QUOTE]

Wow is the game drastically different than the demo, I wonder? There was certainly nothing special except the style.

Well according to the trailer it represents the best of Japanese gaming that Westerners are too afraid to attempt.

I might get it, I'm concerned the game isn't great though and it's just the case of reviewers thinking they're better than everyone for liking something that's artsy.

[quote name='Cerebral_One']From what I've read the low point to this game is the game play.[/QUOTE]

Interested to see how the other reviews pan out.

I enjoyed the demo. I decided to wait for a price drop or good enough sale. Too much to play and I'm gaming a little less as of late (in favor of anime).

The only thing is the length, i got a feeling the length may be what holds me back since i heard its not to long. But im very glad to see it accepted amongst reviewers, not that i let that stop me ever but its a good thing to see. I thought the games art style and feel was pretty good tbh.

[quote name='EdgeOfThorns']The only thing is the length, i got a feeling the length may be what holds me back since i heard its not to long. But im very glad to see it accepted amongst reviewers, not that i let that stop me ever but its a good thing to see. I thought the games art style and feel was pretty good tbh.[/QUOTE]I could more about enjoyment than length. Castlevania: LoD taught me that having length alone is not a good thing (because I got tired of it).

In my situation with the backlog I have (along with working all the time), the last thing I want are long games.

[quote name='EdgeOfThorns']The only thing is the length, i got a feeling the length may be what holds me back since i heard its not to long.[/QUOTE]

that's what she said (to you)

The demo was totally boring to me. Art style didnt catch me on fire either. The backgrounds do look like something out of a :ps2: SMT game. (good catch)

A case of when excellent reviews don't do squat for a game's sales.

I'll be picking it up eventually, but it's only worth around $20 (to me) seems like a nice niche title that unfortunately had no interest from the majority of the community, dunno how they coulda fixed that... =/

has anyone seen this (probably no one looking) but the only place in my town that has it is Gamestop and they only have 2 copies. It seems like Majin I could never find that in town and had to order it. then months later it is 15$

I got it yesterday from Gamefly and played through a couple of hours last night. Gotta say that I'm blown away at the level of polish that the game has. It's been a rock-solid 60 fps the entire time I've played it and the combat is really satisfying. Can't wait to play some more tonight!

[quote name='uncle5555']A case of when excellent reviews don't do squat for a game's sales.
[/QUOTE]

Excellent reviews? IGN gave it a 5/10. LO-fucking-L.

Well-deserved based on the demo.

[quote name='Brainberry']I got this today, used at gamestop so I can return it for a full refund on Tuesday when I pick up Deus Ex.[/QUOTE]

wow any chance you would travel to my gamestop so I could do the same the following week lol

[quote name='bjstucker']wow any chance you would travel to my gamestop so I could do the same the following week lol[/QUOTE]

I would if I could man, anything to 1 up gamestop im ok with.

I literally have 3 gamestops around me lol.

I go there buy a used game 5 days before a game I'm gonna buy comes out and just play it and return it.

btw, the game isn't that great. 3 hours into it and its pretty repetitive. I don't understand the high reviews. Only 1 attack button, but you have to press the button in different speeds to trigger different attack sequences.

Its fun, but def. not worth 60 bucks.

Looks pretty cool. I'd like to play it just to see the art, but not until it's around $20 or so. So maybe after the Fall rush of games (like Jan or Feb, maybe).

[quote name='uncle5555']Most places rated it a "tad" higher....and IGNorant can't be spelled without IGN remember? ;)

And this is a little more, how shall we say "balanced" than picking the (one and) only review under a 75 on the list. :lol: Try harder next time. :applause:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron/critic-reviews[/QUOTE]

So you're telling me the demo isn't representative of the game at all? Considering the reviews I've read, even the positive ones, I find that hard to believe.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So you're telling me the demo isn't representative of the game at all? Considering the reviews I've read, even the positive ones, I find that hard to believe.[/QUOTE]

Apparently not, I think what the general consensus I've seen is that the game itself while gameplay gets repetitive is worthwhile because of the art direction, story and how well the package is put together, they just say don't come expecting non-redundant combat.

And I'll have to agree, it is rinse repeat, but the other points (from what I've seen) show that what you see is what you'll get a action platformer with pretty gfx and a nice story to back it up, coupled with uninspired gameplay. (That's why the one reviewer said he wished he could have played through without playing it. :lol: ) It has a deep combat system based on timed button presses, it just doesn't spell it out to you while your playing.

I think it's worth $20 too, so I'll be picking it up eventually, and yes I was as underwhelmed as you were about the demo (I played it was was like whaa....US & JPN versions both, which other than language were exactly the same)

It's a case of good game with a bad demo, shockingly enough, just know what you're going into and you won't be disappointed if you expected something different is all. ;)

Been playing if for a couple days now, its growing on me. I've also gotten about 30+ messages from friends that say "WTF r u playing", "Praise Allah" etc.....

I didn't even realize this game had a physical release. I played the demo back in June and it felt like a (really well polished) PSN game.

I hope it isn't against the rules to bump this so please be lenient on me if I ask. I see that Amazon has it on sale for $29.99 right now and I was wondering if anyone thinks it is worth it for even that price? I played the demo but I'm not sure if I should bite... I really liked the art style and I enjoyed games like Bayonetta & Yakuza 4 so I was wondering if this game is kind of like those.

Ehh I found it for 10 and that is its sweet spot for me. Its a VERY hard game unless you have superb reflexes as for some enemies only way to kill them is with counter attacks.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So you're telling me the demo isn't representative of the game at all? Considering the reviews I've read, even the positive ones, I find that hard to believe.[/QUOTE]

I finally ended up buying it the other day for $30 (I got Catherine new and sealed off of Ebay for $20 too, so that's why I bit) and played some last night and honestly, I was shocked at how cool it is...(note I'm only about 4 hours in close to finishing off
Ezekiel's
level)

Other than the mechanics of the fact it IS A BEAT'EM UP at its core, but it is a beat'em up that is very....complex. Timed button presses (button mash or varying your timing result in VERY different attacks), how long you hold the button, combos, there are a lot of differences for only using 4 buttons total for the game.

But the gfx, I'll tell you now you'll NEVER play a game that looks like this, I can only think of a small handful that have attempted the variety of looks they tried with this game (Stretch Panic is actually the only one that comes to mind at the moment) the path to the
tower
astounded me, sure its all
black and white
but the way it looks, just wow...

The music score is nothing shy of...awesomeness. I have to say that the music pulls you into the game, I've been meaning to look the composer up to see who did it, I'm that impressed.

A few issues, I hate not having the option to drop weapons, nor more than 3 choices (as far as I can tell), the story is very disconjoined (maybe it'll all make sense later, I dunno, the beginning is very trippy, but cool to how things start out) so far I'm left wondering what the heck some things mean (they skip
300 years
in a very memorable
and playable
opening credit sequence, speaking of that if you
die in one section of the game you actually get to play the end credits in a "bad ending"
) and that's the only issues I have to say about it at the moment.

But honestly, it transcends what the demo was (which was the start of level 3), even though that is hard to believe, there's also secrets to find, lots of mini-boss battles to fight, lots of colorful and lush scenery to explore. Shame that the developers were disbanded before the project was released, there is a lot of talent there that could have made for another Team Ico-esque slow burner type of game (like Ico was when it was first released, this game is already over looked so what else can you say about it).

If you can look past its one trick pony show of a beat'em up, I'll assure you, you'll find enough to like in the rest of the game to appreciate what it tried and accomplished, so if it was on your radar and your still debating, go ahead and pick it up. $30 isn't a bad price, $20 is a no brainer and if you don't pick it up then, then shame on you.

This game deserves to be experienced at least one time, so give it a shot, regardless.... ;)

Thanks for the review. $20 is my sweet spot partially because I have a 6 game backlog, but I'm constantly re-evaluating that low price point. I should just jump on $30 shouldn't I...heh.

I enjoyed the demo,not sure why many people hated it.One of the things I loved about it was that your couldn't just rush the enemies since you would get countered most of the time so you couldn't really button mash.Do plan to get it soon.

[quote name='dohdough']Thanks for the review. $20 is my sweet spot partially because I have a 6 game backlog, but I'm constantly re-evaluating that low price point. I should just jump on $30 shouldn't I...heh.[/QUOTE]

Wait till Friday and see what happens, I'd think it'll go down to $20 at some point, most everything does, but for $30 I don't think you'll have any major regrets at that price either. ;)

I was smoking some dmt and tripping out. I tried BeatMasterUltra and holy shit that was gonna get me overload. so I loaded this up. dude. the colors and backgrounds and everything are so trippy as hell. i love that every level is different too. beat it, woot!

[quote name='Velo214']blah, blah, blah...:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Just cause I thought you might have something of value to say you came off of the ignore list for a brief moment, :roll:, man this post only re-affirms why you won't ever leave my list ever again (and why you got put there in the first place). :no:

Hope anyone who wanted the game grabbed it, played the intro again last night to show my nephew and he thought it was neat, really underrated game, and as you can see from the post above, supposedly really cool if you're high too :roll:, but don't take my word for it...

finally playing this game, bought it from a newegg sale a few weeks ago.

Gorgeous game. Pretty difficult, since you dont just stomp on all the enemies...

Picked up a copy at Best Buy when it had dropped to $20. It had gotten a middling critical appraisal, but I wanted to make sure to add it to my collection for its incredible visual style.

Still haven't played it yet. (story of my backlog) I really ought to throw it in over the weekend, but recently I've been playing through the second Professor Layton game.

bread's done
Back