• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 Donutkid2222

Donutkid2222

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

http://www.amazon.co...12045626&sr=8-1
I pre ordered mine, for $65, I think it's a great value for PS3 gamers.

EDIT: Many of you are asking, what is simulated surround sound? How do they compare to the Tritton AX's, Turtle Beach?
Simulated is like a soundbar, the sound is projected to simulate it's coming from a directional location. How do they compare to the Tritton AX 180, Turtle Beach PX 21. When comparing a $65 product right now instead of the $99.99 price tag to the 180, PX21, the sony headsets would of course better. However, a Tritton 720, or PX5 would be better then this Sony Headset. Please remember for the price when comparing these you can only gain features, it's wireless, and simulated stereo compared to regular stereo from TB, and Tritton's.
Also, I don't know if the USB receiver is the one that transmits the sound because the PS3 does not do sound from a USB port only chat audio and power to the device.
Why don't they work with Blu ray's?
Because the HDMI group has put new restrictions on devices, no composite audio and video for movies. As the new PS3 coming this fall will have this feature, games are ok but movies require HDMI.

Edited by Donutkid2222, 30 July 2011 - 09:20 PM.

#2 cscream1

cscream1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

interesting.....had it pre-ordered but locking in the new price

#3 dcaoko

dcaoko

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

this is a really sweet deal. thanks

#4 gage006

gage006

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

Wow, sweet deal. Picked one up.

#5 xGunCrazyx

xGunCrazyx

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:17 PM

That has to be one of the ugliest headsets I have ever seen. If they work well, that's a pretty sweet price for them though.
Posted Image

#6 Wario64

Wario64

Will tweet for @videogamedeals

• Forum Moderator

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

fyi, there's no surround sound for blu-ray playback

"* Surround sound on the PS3™ requires system software version 3.70 or later. Surround Sound does not work with Blu-ray Disc movies"

http://us.playstatio...eadset-ps3.html

#7 rbanez

rbanez

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

Pre-ordered 1. Dumb question... If i did not like its audio quality I can return it to amazon and they will still accept it, right?

#8 xGunCrazyx

xGunCrazyx

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

They will charge you a restocking fee if you don't say it is broken.
Posted Image

#9 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

Or if you plead your case. If you just don't like it/changed your mind that isn't their fault. But if the headset is a POS and the sound quality is horrible you can plead your case and more then likely get the fees waved. Also, I do not think amazon charges restocking fee, they just make you pay return shipping.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#10 wilflare

wilflare

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

awesome, locking in the price

Green Man Gaming: Get both of us $2 Credit by signing an account through my referral link HERE and spend $2! :D
Amazon Prime for Students: Sign up HERE

#11 Thunder Cat 1

Thunder Cat 1

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

ordered one

#12 djricekcn

djricekcn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

at the price of these headsets, I personally probably won't be satisfied with the audio quality. Not a hardcore audiophile but pickier than the average person

#13 Boty_27

Boty_27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

Whats the real release date for this headset ? October 1 or September 6 ,thats how Gamestop has it.

#14 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

I wonder if this will work for computers? I know it uses a USB dongle so that makes me wonder if it will work, but I can't find any official word on the matter.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#15 hero913

hero913

MAZZAFAKKA

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

THANKS OP!!!!

Just ordered one for myself.

aznhero913.png
lzanagi, on 08 Oct 2013 - 1:42 PM, said:

No, the dumbest people on CAG have a username that starts with "C", ends with "s", and has "onfoosiou" in the middle. Can you guess who they are?

#16 djricekcn

djricekcn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

It will probably work on a PC once someone makes a driver, which shouldn't take too long

#17 bdb2m

bdb2m

No Backseat Mods!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

I wonder if this will work for computers? I know it uses a USB dongle so that makes me wonder if it will work, but I can't find any official word on the matter.

One of the features on the item page on Amazon says that it works for PC and Mac. I would say it works, but just in case take a screenshot of that section if you decide to preorder. If the headset ends up not working, you should be able to return it without any hassle or restocking fees if you send the screenshot to customer service.

#18 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

Wow ordered! I was going to wait for reviews before I bite but for $65 I'm willing to try them myself.

I was a bit turned off after I found out it doesn't work for Blu-ray movies, but I still like the look of these and for a wireless pair, this is a pretty solid value.

#19 takotchi

takotchi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

Whats the real release date for this headset ? October 1 or September 6 ,thats how Gamestop has it.

PSN blog announced it for September, back at E3 I believe. Hopefully that's still the case.

#20 lllGurulll

lllGurulll

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

If it doesn't support surround sound for movies it seems like a waste. I play a few games but I watch a lot of movies.

EDIT
Why didn't they just make it BT compatible?
PSWii60 FTW!!!

#21 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

Is there any particular reason why it doesn't work with BD movies? Like a hardware/software issue? It doesn't really make sense to me

#22 takotchi

takotchi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

Is there any particular reason why it doesn't work with BD movies? Like a hardware/software issue? It doesn't really make sense to me

I wouldn't be surprised if this is some DRM/HDCP issue.

#23 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

What's a relatively cheap set that is good and does work with Blu Ray?

#24 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this is some DRM/HDCP issue.

That's what I was thinking, though I still don't see why a headset would be an issue.

Do other 3rd party headsets (e.g. Turtlebeach) support 7.1 for BD movies?

#25 JG5253

JG5253

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

Damn I just ordered the Turtle Beach DSS like two months ago but for $65 dollars I'll try these out

#26 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

$65 is a helluva price for a surround sound headhpone with a mic. I bought my X21's with the DSS accessory last year for $120 I think.

Now playing:

:ps4: Last of Us: Remastered
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: Gears of War 3

#27 ryanhaggan

ryanhaggan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

From the pics on amazon, it seems like the audio is transmitted via USB... makes me wonder why the LOgitech USB wireless can't work... One of the reasons i got a PS3 was because of how open a system it was. Also, the audio output via sub is a good thing, cuz now you wouldn't need to run wires to an external device as well as picking up an extra outlet.

The headset is sooooo ugly howver, that I can't see myself purchasing it... but I really do want something exactly like this... what to do...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

Is it common for people to want to listen to movies through headsets? I understand gaming, especially with FPS because the repititve noises are awful annoying but I don't think I've ever seen anyone listen to a movie by means of a headset...

unless grandma has a problem with all the noise radiating from her basement...

I kid..

but seriously

#29 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

Is it common for people to want to listen to movies through headsets? I understand gaming, especially with FPS because the repititve noises are awful annoying but I don't think I've ever seen anyone listen to a movie by means of a headset...

unless grandman has a problem with all the noise radiating from her basement...

I kid..

but seriously

The only reason I'd want to is to get a surround sound experience. I have my PS3 hooked up to my computer monitor in my room and I don't have any receivers , or other surround sound setup ((no space or money for that)), just a pair of 2.1 speakers so I think having a 7.1 headset (albeit virtual) would improve that experience.

#30 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

The only reason I'd want to is to get a surround sound experience. I have my PS3 hooked up to my computer monitor in my room and I don't have any receivers, or other SS setup, just a pair of 2.1 speakers so I think having a 7.1 headset (albeit virtual) would improve the experience.

True.. that makes sense; especially for college students and dorm rooms. I was just picture someone sitting infront of a 55" + TV in a living room trying to listen to their blu rays through a headset and thought that kind of went against the concept of having a home theatre...

but for PS3 --> PC monitor builds and smaller rooms that makes sense