Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS) $19.99 New / $17.99 Pre-Owned @ GameStop

I bought this for $35 when all the proceeds were going to Japanese tsunami relief. Haven't played it yet and never pay full price but in this case I don't regret it at all, obviously.

[quote name='shipwreck']Buy it.[/QUOTE]
This. It's very story heavy but it is hands down my favorite DS game and one of my favorites of all time for any system.

If you just got a 3DS and dont have a DS for whatever reason it's also a great game to tide you over until something good releases. What's the best game for 3DS? 999.

I cannot recommend this game enough. The puzzles were a perfect balance between complex, but not exhaustingly difficult. Love love love this game and so does every person I've recommended it to.

It's pretty slow in the beginning, but picks up after about 2 hours or so. Like a good book, it's hard to put down after that point.

I remember when everyone was saying that was going to be rare and expensive a few months after release. Oh well, I'll grab it when the next b2g1 sale hits.

I played it for about an hour. Music is really cool, and the story is interesting, I just have a hard time getting into adventure games.

I picked this up because of all of the hype around it, but after an hour I turned it off and haven't played it since. The characters were just too stupid. I couldn't take any of them seriously. And since the whole first hour was pretty much dialog, it didn't show anything at all that would make me want to sit through the rest.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I remember when everyone was saying that was going to be rare and expensive a few months after release. Oh well, I'll grab it when the next b2g1 sale hits.[/QUOTE]

The initial run sold out so there was at least one reprint of the game.

If you can get past the first 2 hours of slow gaming, it's a really enjoyable game. I loved all the characters and the story. I bought mine used during the summer sale and haven't had a problem. There's only 1 save slot, so just delete that game before you start.

I almost quit after the first hour, i was so dumb i couldn't figure it out, after that it was really good :D

its a must buy at that price

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I remember when everyone was saying that was going to be rare and expensive a few months after release. Oh well, I'll grab it when the next b2g1 sale hits.[/QUOTE]

Almost nothing ends up being rare and expensive anymore. I think there is a lot more online discussion about games that are good that maybe didn't get much marketing and as a result there are a lot less "hidden gems" these days. I can't think of many current gen games (outside of collector's editions) that actually became rare and expensive.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Almost nothing ends up being rare and expensive anymore. I think there is a lot more online discussion about games that are good that maybe didn't get much marketing and as a result there are a lot less "hidden gems" these days. I can't think of many current gen games (outside of collector's editions) that actually became rare and expensive.[/QUOTE]

The pre-order bonus 999 watch is actually rare/expensive. It's worth about 4x more than the game lol. Most collector's editions don't end up being worth much either.

I highly recommend this game if you enjoyed games like Hotel Dusk and other point/click adventures. I just finished this game a couple of days ago with the bad ending and have to say this game is so worth it, especially at this new price.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Almost nothing ends up being rare and expensive anymore. I think there is a lot more online discussion about games that are good that maybe didn't get much marketing and as a result there are a lot less "hidden gems" these days. I can't think of many current gen games (outside of collector's editions) that actually became rare and expensive.[/QUOTE]

Infinite Space for the DS is rare, came out around the same time.

[quote name='sunghost']The pre-order bonus 999 watch is actually rare/expensive. It's worth about 4x more than the game lol.[/QUOTE]

Aww man, I didn't even realize there was such a thing. Now I want one.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I just finished this game a couple of days ago with the bad ending and have to say this game is so worth it, especially at this new price. [/QUOTE]

Be sure you get all the endings, including the best - which you can only get once you've seen all the others... which amazingly actually makes sense in the context of the story.

Like everybody else has said, incredible game, great price, just buy it.

[quote name='morrodox']incredible game, great price, just buy it.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to pay $20 new but not $20 Gamestop new. If Amazon is willing to pricematch, I'll pay the full $20. Otherwise, I may have to go used.

I remember trying to find this game awhile back but it was sold out everywhere. There were a few copies from 3rd party sellers that were marked way up. I had no clue they reprinted it. I'll have to pick this up.

I wonder if every gamestop has copies? or is it hit and miss?

Anyone who owns a DS should buy this game at $20. The characters are fantastic, the puzzles are genuine, the story is engrossing, and all the different endings kept me playing through finals week when I should have been studying. Dropping letter grades was never more worth it.

this game sounds awesome! for those of us w/out a DS of any flavor :cry:, what are our options? pls don't say 'duh, buy a DS'.
have a wii, psp, and ps3: any ports of this game planned? any type of 'virtual' game or emulation possible on any of these consoles? TIA

Thanks OP! Just went out an picked it up new. Got Ys Seven Premium for $30 new while I was at it. Unfortunately, I can't play this until my DSi XL arrives in the mail. I just sold my old DS lite and upgraded to the XL. Can't wait to see how this and Radiant Historia look on those gorgeous screens.

This is one of the few occasions I'd recommend buying the game new instead of used to support the developer, especially if you want a sequel to be made. Also, the game didn't start out slow to me like some people felt. I was completely captivated the first second I started playing it, until I finished it and got all of the endings. Couldn't stop thinking about the game's story even after finishing it for like a week.

[quote name='Backlash']Is there any issue with buying it used? Is it easy to delete anything that's been unlocked or save games or whatever?[/QUOTE]
The biggest issue with buying it used from Gamestop is that you will get just the cartridge and nothing else.
At least all of my local stores have switched to the "GBA" storage method.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']The biggest issue with buying it used from Gamestop is that you will get just the cartridge and nothing else.
At least all of my local stores have switched to the "GBA" storage method.[/QUOTE]

Well crap. I haven't gotten anything from Gamestop in several months. Guess I'll just call and ask them.

[quote name='Backlash']Is there any issue with buying it used? Is it easy to delete anything that's been unlocked or save games or whatever?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can delete everything that's been unlocked without issue. And I suggest you do that too. There's a feature that will actually lead you through the correct dialogue after a specific playthrough. And after each, you're given the ability to skip the text of ones you already went to.

Sent to Amazon for pricematch.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']

Sent to Amazon for pricematch.[/QUOTE]

Amazon only had 11 copies when I looked earlier today so I doubt we get a price match. Unless their stock counter is incorrect.

My closest GS has it both new and used, so I'll had over there after work (like now) and see if it comes with a case and instructions used. If not, I'll get it new. Thanks everyone.

[quote name='joshrocker']Amazon only had 11 copies when I looked earlier today so I doubt we get a price match. Unless their stock counter is incorrect.[/QUOTE]
The first listed seller is 3rd party fulfilled by Amazon. I was able to put 999 copies in my cart when I added the Amazon listing. Seems like a good PM candidate to me.:)

Grabbed one from my GS just a bit ago. It was an "opened" new copy. :whistle2:/ Normally I'd decline, but it was the only copy in a 50 mile radius. And everything looked good as new.

Also got Gods Eater Burst for $19.99 from Best Buy.

Good day for my handhelds.

Picked up a GameStop "New" copy in store today so I don't miss it as I'm ready to play it. Made sure they put a "new seal" on it so there is no trouble when I return it for an Amazon PM.

My GS did end up having used and new copies, but I got a new one anyway. For $3 or so I figured I might as well. Lots of text in the beginning (after the first puzzle at least) but so far so good, and if it picks up from here then I think it'll be great.

bread's done
Back