Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Battlefield 3 - FREE for PS+ Members starting July 2nd!

Battlefield 3 BF3

• Please log in to reply
943 replies to this topic

Poll: Preferred days/times for CAG Night?

Preferred days/times for CAG Night?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:21 AM

If they keep the exact same squad system, I will cross this off my list.

My biggest gripes with Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor was that DICE doesn't know how to properly implement explosive splash damage. For all their fanciness, I could launch an anti-tank rocket into a bunch of trees where a sniper is hiding and do jack unless I hit 'em dead on. This followed into Medal of Honor where the splash damage was non-existent. For this game to be a contender, I'm hoping they fixed the glaring issues they have with the previous incarnations.

BF3 has such potential, hope they don't screw it up.

You mean the 4 man squad? Or the spawning or what?

They have covered spawning somewhat. There is newer info then this but I didn't dig to much:

You can still "spawn on set places, bases and such"; however, you can't squad spawn, as in BFBC 2, unless your squad leader is alive. This means that the team leader will be the focal point of the way you go about attacking and defending, and reviving squad leaders will be paramount. To keep it fair, the squad leader won't be "one fixed person" throughout the game, but Daniel didn't get into too much detail about how the squad leader role is assigned.

2ic4l5j.jpg

#62 Mad39er

Mad39er

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:44 AM

You mean the 4 man squad? Or the spawning or what?

They have covered spawning somewhat. There is newer info then this but I didn't dig to much:

4 Man squad and not being able to communicate openly between squads. It made playing with the guys from MW2 pointless as we had on average 3 squads of people but no way to keep everybody in the same game or chat with each other beyond our squad.
Gran Turismo 5 B-Spec Primer - Now with colors!
"When I started racing my father told me, ‘Cristiano, nobody has three balls but some people have two very good ones'." – Cristiano Da Matta

"Any drunk can fall off a bar stool. It takes a real man to ride it all the way to the ground."

Referal for Dusk 514:

#63 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:39 AM

4 Man squad and not being able to communicate openly between squads. It made playing with the guys from MW2 pointless as we had on average 3 squads of people but no way to keep everybody in the same game or chat with each other beyond our squad.

Here is some updated info:

DICE stated recently that there will be team wide VOIP which would enable squad leaders to communicate with others. Bad Company 2 didn’t have this feature (On PC) making it difficult for squads to work together in some grand plan. IF Battlefield 3 does indeed bring back the order system, hopefully there will be a way for Squad Leaders to see other squads orders so that they can coordinate attacks accordingly. Without the Commander, measures to tie the team together need to be used.

You can set objectives as a squad leader. Attack here, move this way, hold this position, disarm, repair this. things like that. All that without VOIP.

Didn't MAG have leadership channel for the squad leaders there?

Hopefully, like they mentioned, they can make it so that squad leaders can see what other squad leaders have as their objectives so they work more strategically.

2ic4l5j.jpg

#64 enufs8d

enufs8d

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:41 AM

Didn't MAG have leadership channel for the squad leaders there?

Hopefully, like they mentioned, they can make it so that squad leaders can see what other squad leaders have as their objectives so they work more strategically.

mag had several leadership channels: squad leaders to squad leaders, SL to squad, Sl to everyone, Sl to command leader, SL to platoon leader, PL to PLs, command leader (top down) etc.

mad, in bfbc2, if you werent on a squad, then you were on the open channel. so a workaround for more than 4 people would have everyone not be in a squad. you lose the squad benefits but you could chat to each other.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#65 Mad39er

Mad39er

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

It's just wait and see for me, I've been burned by EA and DICE already. Glad to see you guys are hyped. The last time that happened the game was called Medal of Honor.
"When I started racing my father told me, ‘Cristiano, nobody has three balls but some people have two very good ones'." – Cristiano Da Matta

"Any drunk can fall off a bar stool. It takes a real man to ride it all the way to the ground."

Referal for Dusk 514:

#66 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

Beta comes out 9/27 for early access players, 9/29 for everyone else :) It's going to be a long week...

http://www.battlefie...lefield3/1/beta

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#67 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

Beta comes out 9/27 for early access players, 9/29 for everyone else :) It's going to be a long week...

http://www.battlefie...lefield3/1/beta

Figures they'd wait until a week before Dark Souls. Guess I'll try to manage playing a bit of this in between ICO collection.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#68 rusty

rusty

Broke because of CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

I wish they woulda done beta before Gears 3. Im not gonna want to put that down next week :(

Xbox One | Titanfall

Homebrew PC | CS:S | CS:GO | Skyrim

#69 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

No interest in Gears3. And no other games coming out until Battlefield 3 and House of the Dead for PS3 on Oct. 25th. Needless-to-say, I'm really looking forward to this. Too bad I didn't get Medal of Honor, otherwise I'd be playing this on the 27th.

#70 enufs8d

enufs8d

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

It's just wait and see for me, I've been burned by EA and DICE already. Glad to see you guys are hyped. The last time that happened the game was called Medal of Honor.

I understand complete. I preorderd MoH but decided not to pick it up after the bad reviews here on cag. But I remember reading that DICE was shoehorned into the multi aspect of MoH at the last minute. Thus, I thought that was why it was a half ass job. Whereas, bf3 feels like a true sequel, maybe even going beyond one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#71 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

I understand complete. I preorderd MoH but decided not to pick it up after the bad reviews here on cag. But I remember reading that DICE was shoehorned into the multi aspect of MoH at the last minute. Thus, I thought that was why it was a half ass job. Whereas, bf3 feels like a true sequel, maybe even going beyond one.

A lot of the reviews were mixed on MoH's multiplayer, but were quick to point out that DICE was brought in to work on it, separately from the sp devs, which is just retarded. And from the sound of things, MoH's multiplayer seemed like a combination of BF2 and BC2...but it was clearly rushed.

Thankfully, Battlefield 3 has been in the making for years, so I have no doubt that they'll improve upon BC2 in every way possible. This makes me a happy panda :D

#72 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

But that’s not all for our PlayStation fans! You’ll be happy to know that beginning with our first expansion pack Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand (to be released later this year), all full-blown upcoming expansion packs for the game will appear one week early exclusively on PS3, brought to you by Sony!

As you may or may not have heard, Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand is a themed expansion pack containing four of the most loved maps from Battlefield 2, boldly reimagined in the Frostbite 2 engine. It also features new weapons and vehicles, unique in-game dog tags, new persistence, as well as new Trophies.

http://blog.us.plays...eta-on-psn-929/

#73 8bitArtist

8bitArtist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

timed exclusive map packs are dumb

EightBitArtist.png

#74 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

timed exclusive map packs are dumb

I thought they learned their lesson with BC2. Guess not.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#75 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

Either way, we are getting the DLC first...

#76 8bitArtist

8bitArtist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

true, but im sure it cost sony money and thats money that could be used somewhere else much more effectively

EightBitArtist.png

#77 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

true, but im sure it cost sony money and thats money that could be used somewhere else much more effectively

Sony gets a cut for every DLC sold on PSN I believe...and considering there are over 1.25 million pre-orders for BF3, plus week 1 sales (and there after)...that's a lot of potential income, and it looks good for their console.

#78 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

Sony gets a cut for every DLC sold on PSN I believe...and considering there are over 1.25 million pre-orders for BF3, plus week 1 sales (and there after)...that's a lot of potential income, and it looks good for their console.

I sincerely hope DICE is not going back on their word that they will never charge for map packs. There would be nothing for Sony to gain from this.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#79 Trakan

Trakan

Mark IV Style Motherfucker!

• Super Moderators

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

Makes zero sense to have exclusivity for a map pack that is free. They will no doubt charge for them.

#80 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

Makes zero sense to have exclusivity for a map pack that is free. They will no doubt charge for them.

I guess maybe they're going back to what they did with BF2, adding single maps with special conditions/items meant to be a standalone expansion. At least they're not being retarded and slowly releasing the same maps for the different modes again. Either way, I won't be buying any DLC for it.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#81 Mad39er

Mad39er

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

Since MoH EA and DICE seem to have preferred the PS3 vs Xbox. It's not really anything new as Sony will green flag anything to compete with the 360 in terms of availability, regardless of if it's of actual value or not.

Referal for Dusk 514:

#82 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

Although it is nice that we get map packs a week early, I don't think it is a big deal in the grand sceme of things. Getting this day 1. Have $50 in GS credit towards it so it will cost me very little!

I need a new signature.

#83 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

coOHjF4_apI

#84 hetz15

hetz15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:45 AM

So, I got a few questions about BF3. I've only played Battlefield 1942 and 1943, never tried the rest of them. Apart from the squad count on one of the modes and graphic, what are the other differences between ps3 and pc version? Also, is the multiplayer going to be similar with MoH (the most recent one)? still undecided between this and mw3, although I may end up buying both.
My buy/sell/trade page, please check it out :D (mainly PS3 games) :

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=291931

#85 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:06 AM

So, I got a few questions about BF3. I've only played Battlefield 1942 and 1943, never tried the rest of them. Apart from the squad count on one of the modes and graphic, what are the other differences between ps3 and pc version? Also, is the multiplayer going to be similar with MoH (the most recent one)? still undecided between this and mw3, although I may end up buying both.

Pc = Up to 32 V 32 = 64 player matches.
Consoles = 12 V 12 = 24 player matches. *think that is right..

I think both will have Battlelog integration, but the PC version will let you play around on their website (sort of a social network) and launch into matches and what not via web browser.

Also it has been a while since I played any of MOH... But Battlefield has always had something over a lot of titles which is good vehicle combat. Jets, helicopters, tanks, and other land vehicles are what you can pilot this time around. So if your looking for something with a broader scale then BF3 might be for you.

2ic4l5j.jpg

#86 hetz15

hetz15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

Pc = Up to 32 V 32 = 64 player matches.
Consoles = 12 V 12 = 24 player matches. *think that is right..

I think both will have Battlelog integration, but the PC version will let you play around on their website (sort of a social network) and launch into matches and what not via web browser.

Also it has been a while since I played any of MOH... But Battlefield has always had something over a lot of titles which is good vehicle combat. Jets, helicopters, tanks, and other land vehicles are what you can pilot this time around. So if your looking for something with a broader scale then BF3 might be for you.

oh ok, thanks man. I was afraid that the console version will be a "gimped" version (less maps or weapons or something). I assume that there will be some team-based modes as well, like 4-players on each squad or so.

I was afraid at first that DICE would cut the vehicle battle, since I heard that console version will have "smaller" maps than the pc one. Good thing I was wrong.

#87 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:39 AM

Yeah all the game modes will be the same throughout the versions, just the number of players changes.

Beyond that they will balance things a bit. I don't think they will reduce the map sizes, but they might limit the number of vehicles. Something like that.

Say if there were enough vehicles for 10% of the team on PC, they might remove a few to keep the number same for consoles so that EVERYONE doesn't end up in a tank. So 2 jets per side instead of 3 or 4. Something like that might happen.

BF also has destructible environments as a key game feature. Can destroy trees (cover), blow holes in walls, or even destroy whole buildings in some cases.

Unlocks(weapon,abilities)/Ribbons/Badges are big draw too.

Here is some fresh videos from the beta with some commentary that I think helps highlight the games features and gameplay.

2ic4l5j.jpg

#88 eliter1

eliter1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:29 AM

The animation for getting killed is kinda weird... But the game looks AMAZING! Can't wait for the Beta!
Posted Image

#89 hetz15

hetz15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:35 AM

Yeah all the game modes will be the same throughout the versions, just the number of players changes.

Beyond that they will balance things a bit. I don't think they will reduce the map sizes, but they might limit the number of vehicles. Something like that.

Say if there were enough vehicles for 10% of the team on PC, they might remove a few to keep the number same for consoles so that EVERYONE doesn't end up in a tank. So 2 jets per side instead of 3 or 4. Something like that might happen.

BF also has destructible environments as a key game feature. Can destroy trees (cover), blow holes in walls, or even destroy whole buildings in some cases.

Unlocks(weapon,abilities)/Ribbons/Badges are big draw too.

Here is some fresh videos from the beta with some commentary that I think helps highlight the games features and gameplay.

thanks for the link. the game does look awesome. Do you also know if the limited edition is for preorder only, or for 1st run copies (like dead space 2 and MoH)?

#90 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

Quite pleased with the PS3 graphics and framerate in those videos. No early access for me (didn't buy MoH), so I'll be playing on Thursday.

EDIT: 720p screenshot (jpg). Found it on videogameszone.de

Posted Image

I was honestly expecting much worse considering all the talk about how much better the PC version looks (naturally). It looks like there's no AA or anything enabled for the screenshot, and judging by the videos of the beta, the game looks much smoother in action. Color me excited :D