Battlefield 3 - FREE for PS+ Members starting July 2nd!

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
headerbf3.png

Battlefield 3 CAG Clan Sign-ups | CAG/PSN:

"CAG is a proficient assemblage of gamers from across the globe. Its diverse community is comprised of all ages, genders, ethnicities, nationalities, and social affiliations. Bound by affiliation, mutual interest, and cooperation, Cheap Ass Gamer's are looking to have fun and kick some ass."

LATEST NEWS:

Battlefield 1943 is going to be FREE! (as originally intended at E3, details below)

There have been some misunderstandings around Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield 3. To address this we are making Battlefield 1943 available free of charge to owners of Battlefield 3 on the PS3 beginning this month.

Battlefield 1943 PlayStation®3 vouchers will be available on the following dates:

• November 26th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony Europe
  • December 10th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony America
  • December 17th, 2011 for Battlefield 3 players on PlayStation®Network Sony Asia and Sony Japan
Please note that vouchers are region-specific. Sony Europe vouchers will only work in Europe and will not work in America, Asia, or Japan.

Source (Voucher Redemption page)

Last edited by a moderator:
OVERVIEW:
Battlefield 3 will include both a singleplayer & co-op campaign and multiplayer modes.

Its multiplayer will most likely feature similar gameplay to the classic Battlefield 2. It was announced that jets will make their return as usable vehicles, that prone will become an available stance and that the PC version will be able to support 64 players in a same multiplayer match. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions will be able to support up to 24 players in a multiplayer match. As seen in the Battlefield 3 gameplay trailer, it is confirmed that the player can now drag fallen soldiers and heal them from cover. However, it has also been confirmed that this gameplay feature will not carry over into the multiplayer aspects of the game. It will use a completely new engine, named Frostbite 2, which will be the successor to the Frostbite Engine used in the Bad Company series.

With the help of the Frostbite 2 engine, Destruction 3.0 will be introduced into the game. An improvement over Bad Company 2's Destruction 2.0, Destruction 3.0 allows for a much larger range of destructible objects alongside buildings and more realistic destruction. For example, when the player fires their AT4 on the hotel in the Fault Line Series Episode II: Good Effect On Target trailer, they can see the entire façade of the building being completely ripped apart. In the earthquake prone city of Sulaymaniyah, players will experience tremors and earthquakes that will display the capabilities of Destruction 3.0.

Audio is another focus for the game. There will be audio cues that, for example, will let the player know if a tank is moving towards or away from them, or if it is having trouble climbing a slope. The developers have recorded real life sounds of vehicles and weapons from a military training exercise; their goal being to create "cleaner and brighter audio." Voice acting will also be extremely varied. As stated by Thomas Danko, voice over producer at DICE: "No FPS ever had this large amount of VO variations for Multi Play, not even close. Over 300 for the "Man down" event alone."

Several sources confirm that console versions of the game will get smaller multiplayer maps than the PC version, though there will be little to no change in the graphics of the different versions.

Lead weapon designer for Battlefield 3 Alan Kertz stated in an EA PWNED interview (see video section):

"We're going for a really authentic feel in Battlefield 3. So the big thing that we're looking at is what guns are actually being used by armies, and obviously we have the Marines in Battlefield, so first thing we did is go in and look for the Marine weapons, but we also want that little bit extra special, because fun is still something really important in Battlefield. So, we went ahead and looked at other forces and said: "What sticks out? What looks cool? What is unique? What fills a role that we don't have?" And we went and we picked those guns and brought those into Battlefield, as well."

Source: Battlefield Wiki

Developer: EA Digital Illusions CE
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Engine: Frostbite 2
Release date:
  • NA October 25, 2011
  • AUS October 27, 2011
  • EU October 28, 2011

FREE:

PATCHES:
  • Patch 1.02 Changelog Nov. 30th 2011
    General fixes

• Significant improvements to the Squad Join interface, full details in this earlier blog post
    • Removed FIND ME A SQUAD option
    • Allow players to join empty Squads alone, thus having 1/4 Squad members
    • Change order of options to LEAVE SQUAD, INV A FRIEND, SWITCH TEAM
    • Disable Privacy flag when 1 man Squad
    • Reset Privacy flag from Private to Public when Squad drops to 1 player
    • All occupied Squads will now show up colored blue on the Squad selection screen
    • Players who choose not to join Squads will also show up as Blue in the "Not in a Squad” line
    • Squads that are currently empty will display as white -- if you wish to join an empty Squad, you can choose the first one marked with white text
    • Added round duration and ticket summary at end of round screen
    • Fixed sound for when climbing ladders
    • Fixed and issue with some weapons' sounds in first person view
    • Fixed a swim sound loop error
    • You should no longer be able to damage a friendly vehicle when sitting in an open position
    • Grenades now drop to ground if you get killed while attempting to throw it
    • Spawn protection now should work in Conquest so you no longer should spawn too close to enemies
    • You should no longer spawn too close to enemies in TDM and SQDM
    • Fix for missing input restriction during intro movie, causing players to potentially fall and die while watching movie if moving controller (or having a controller with a bad stick zone)
    • Combat areas on Kharg Island in Rush mode tweaked in order to disallow defenders to access the carrier ship after first base is taken and being able to enter the AA gun
    • Fixed a problem with revived players not being able to get suppressed
    • Fixed a problem with the camera when being revived in co-op
    • Spotting VO now plays when spotting from MAV/EOD bot
    • Fixed several issues regarding the kill card, including showing wrong weapons used for the kill
    • Fixed that sometimes you would be stuck on a black screen when kicked from server
    • Fixed so when a team captures two flags at the same time, the UI does not show wrong owner of the flag
    • Fixed a problem where the capture progress bar was shown as friendly when the enemy was capturing
    • Fixed a problem with the bipod deploy sound
    • Fixed a problem that you could be spawned in with no weapons after being killed while using the EOD bot
    • Fixed problems with health bars not displaying health properly when using EOD bots
    • Fixed a problem with flickering name tags
    • Fixed a problem where you could damage friendly helicopters
    • Fixed a problem where you could get stuck in the co-op menu when attempting to join the session twice
    • You should now be able to spot explosives
    • You should no longer spawn in home base if your selected spawn point is disabled while waiting to spawn (e.g. if your teammate dies right before you are about to spawn)
    • Damage from bullets will now continue to cause damage even after the firing user is dead
    • Fixed several client crashes
    • Fixed a problem where players could get stuck in the join queue
    • Fixed the repair icon on the minimap
    • Fixed a problem with changing camera on certain vehicles
    • Fixed a problem with the grenade indicator when in guided missile mode
    • Fixed a problem where the machine could hard lock when joining a public coop game
    • Fixed a problem where the headset attached icon would not show up in the UI
    • Fixed a problem with the falling antenna on Caspian Border. It should now more instantly kill anyone in its falling path
    • Fixed a problem where tank turrets would turn too slow
    • Fixed a bug on co-op mission "Exfiltration" where you could end up outside the vehicle and not being able to enter it again, thus blocking the mission
    • Fixed a problem where a user can become invulnerable after being resurrected
    • Fixed a problem with the M60 reload sound
    • Fixed a hang in terrain streaming, causing the user to get stuck on black screen under special circumstances in single player
    • Fixed a problem where the enemy would not be able to get a road kill on a user that was using the SOFLAM
    • Fixed soldiers disappearing in the mortar kill cam
    • Fix for Type88 and MG36 zoom in animation offset when in supported shooting mode (using bipods)

Balance changes

• Increased the damage of helicopter miniguns, AA guns, and jet cannons against infantry
    • Increased the damage of helicopter miniguns against jeeps
    • Reduced the physics impact of AA guns and jet cannons so players under attack from these weapons no longer should lose control
    • Increased the damage of the 44 Magnum slightly
    • Increased the range and minimum damage of the .357 Round from the MP412 Rex
    • Increased the range of all .45cal and 9mm weapons
    • Slightly increased the range of the P90 and MP7 and PDW-R
    • Slightly increased the range of the 5.56mm PDW-R and decreased the minimum damage at long range
    • Slightly increased the minimum range of the Mk11, SVD, and M39 EMR 7.62mm rifles
    • Decreased the maximum damage and maximum range of the G3 and SCAR-H 7.62mm weapons
    • Reduced the damage from FIM-92 and SA-18 IGLA missiles against aircraft
    • Increased the damage and range of the 40mm BUCK rounds
    • Reduced the damage .50cal weapons do against helicopters
    • Updated T90 canister shell tweaks to match Abrams canister shells
VIDEOS:

[youtube]Q7GVSx7yMaA[/youtube] [youtube]e8fDhvuMzEY[/youtube]
[youtube]FRqfFfuVuNE[/youtube] [youtube]XbAl5NIFRGQ[/youtube]

OLDER VIDEOS:

Battlefield 3 / Jay-Z -- "99 Problems" Full-Length Gameplay TV Ad
Battlefield 3 Operation Guillotine Gameplay Trailer [HD]
Battlefield 3: Focussing on Innovation
Battlefield 3 Physical Warfare Pack Gameplay Trailer
Battlefield 3 | Caspian Border Gameplay

I will pass on COD MW3 this year for Battlefield 3. I'm excited to try out the demo though.

[quote name='harleymandvdson']How do you get into the beta? I might actually buy this over MW3.[/QUOTE]

Pre-order on EA's "Origin", or own a copy of Medal of Honor LE (first runs...can still be bought cheap actually).

[quote name='JG5253']I will pass on COD MW3 this year for Battlefield 3. I'm excited to try out the demo though.[/QUOTE]

Same here. It's a shame the console version isn't good to be as massive as PC but that's understandable and okay with me.

Who wants to start up the CAG Clan? I was going to use the second post for it but might as well have a separate thread.

Battlefield 3 gets ready to rock GamesCom!

As Producer Patrick Liu puts the final touches to the setup in one of our booths, we are counting down the hours to a great week of gaming.

Battlefield 3 is live at the GamesCom show in Cologne, and we're here to follow the success of GDC with the Fault Line mission and E3 this July, when we let gamers experience first-hand the ever-changing multiplayer map Operation Métro.

Tomorrow (August 16), we kickstart one of the largest game shows in the world with an action-packed EA press conference that is sure to please any fans of Battlefield. After that, five glorious days of gaming ensue. Starting Wednesday at 09:00AM, the floodgates open and our fans will be able to play Battlefield 3 in one of the largest setups we have ever taken to the road.

Be sure to check back here on the Battlefield blog for daily updates, photos, video summaries of the bustle from the show floor, and more. And for the very latest in everything Battlefield, remember to follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

Game on!

Apparently the trailer DICE just showed off was amazing. Everyone on Twitter is freaking out about how awesome it is...will have a trailer up as soon as possible. If you find it on youtube, please post the link :D

EDIT:

[youtube]NDDfPxF3EFE[/youtube]

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I am looking forward to checking this one out for sure, but as far as I know the beta is only available for PC players?[/QUOTE]

theres a console beta. theres a beta if you bought medal of honor (or have a code from there) and my friend overheard a gamestop employee talking about a beta when you preorder, but i havent seen anywhere that thats confirmed yet.

The glare off the cockpit was amazing; really adds some authenticity to how you can lose someone in the sun. Also, LOL at that little UAV rover. I can't imagine that being used to disarm bombsites, but it would be fucking hilarious if you can.

[quote name='Jodou']The glare off the cockpit was amazing; really adds some authenticity to how you can lose someone in the sun. Also, LOL at that little UAV rover. I can't imagine that being used to disarm bombsites, but it would be fucking hilarious if you can.[/QUOTE]

I totally got a WALL-E moment with the little rover. Really hope we can use that in MP but overall, this game just went from can't wait to CAN'T fuckING WAIT! :) What was that other game that's a shooter and is coming out this fall? Meh, can't remember ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, Co-op mode has been CONFIRMED :)

Looks incredible to say the least but of course we all need to see how the game is balanced and how the maps are laid out. Will seemingly awesome things like jets and tanks throw off the balance? Looking good though.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Looks incredible to say the least but of course we all need
to see how the game is balanced and how the maps are laid out. Will seemingly awesome things like jets and tanks throw off the balance? Looking good though.[/QUOTE]

Jets were in previous games in the battlefield series. What I like about this is that every thing had a counter to it. Anti air stations (can see some flak cannons it seems in video, anti air rpg load out, other jets.

A good tank commander like me can break the game until everyone on the other side goes engineer. Jets never were never really a problem in BF2, but helis were. Most people just aren't skilled enough to kill people efficiently in jets.

EA sent out a four page Battlefield 3 multiplayer fact sheet, which has a list of all the weapons, weapon accessories, solider equipment, solider specializations, vehicles and vehicle specializations. The fact sheet also says there will be 9 multiplayer maps. The only two revealed right now are Caspian Border and o Operation Métro.
Planet Battlefield

One of advantages PC gamers have had over consoles was the ability to pick and chose the multiplayer servers they played on. Now EA has confirmed that the server browser feature will be available for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Battlefield 3. This makes Battlefield 3 one of the few multiplayer games on consoles that offers a server browser, where players are given more choice in terms of where to play, what maps to play on, game settings, game modes, and much more.

A server browser for consoles was a requested feature from many Battlefield fans, and it finally looks like consoles will be getting some more love from DICE. Hopefully we’ll see more PC features added to consoles, like the recently announced Commo Rose communications interface.
BF3blog

Server browser? My god, is it possible to marry this game? Seriously...I was questioning my decision to not pick up MW3, but after the last 24 hours Battlefield 3 has completely sold me :D

[quote name='pbnate88']Preordering. Whered you guys get yours? Amazon?[/QUOTE]

The pre order bonuses are a bit lacking, so if amazon offers a credit I'll go with them. If not game stop to get it faster.

[quote name='Frank Deluded']Have they released any info on how to get into the beta?[/QUOTE]

So far all we know is that people who bought Medal of Honor new when it came out will be able to get into the beta. No details on consoles but the PC beta should be ready to go soon.

[quote name='SynGamer']So far all we know is that people who bought Medal of Honor new when it came out will be able to get into the beta. No details on consoles but the PC beta should be ready to go soon.[/QUOTE]
The upcoming Beta is an Open Beta on all platforms.

Those who bought MOH:LE will get 48hrs early access. Nothing more.

BTW People who pre-ordered the PC copy over Origin are also eligible for the early access.

And I read somewhere that the people who participated in the Alpha testing are also eligible for the early access.

I've never played battlefield before but I am looking forward to raping people in this game. It multiplayer looks way more fun than what they call of duty or resistance 3. This game doesn't have aim assist does it? (looks like missle lock on jets though) :fridge:

[quote name='Mr. 420']I've never played battlefield before but I am looking forward to raping people in this game. It multiplayer looks way more fun than what they call of duty or resistance 3. This game doesn't have aim assist does it? (looks like missle lock on jets though) :fridge:[/QUOTE]
if you never played a battlefield game before, youll most likely be the one getting raped.

BF3 looks absolutely amazing. Was originally just getting it for PC but now that more of my console friends are getting it I guess I'm preordering it twice. As if all the AAA games weren't making me poor enough already.

Anyone know if the MOH disc will be needed for the 48 hour early beta? I got rid of the disc but still have the codes from the in case booklet, or is it tied to your EA account that registers with the MOH activation code? Figured it probably won't matter though. The gameplay and trailers that I've seen so far look phenomenal. October can't come soon enough.

If like bf2 jets will have machine guns, then missles or bombs depending on what type of plane it is. Then they will have counter measures for the in coming missles.

Put $5 on it at BB. Hoping there are some nice preorder goodies there. If not my $5 will go where the deals are. The maps are going to be huge if there are jets.

Has all of the footage shown so far been off of a PC? I'm curious how well, or poorly, the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions will look and perform.

If anyone has videos of the game running on either console, can you link it?

Definitely getting this before MW3!
[quote name='SynGamer']So far all we know is that people who bought Medal of Honor new when it came out will be able to get into the beta. No details on consoles but the PC beta should be ready to go soon.[/QUOTE]

What if you owned the LE but sold it later on? Will you still be able to get into the beta?

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Has all of the footage shown so far been off of a PC? I'm curious how well, or poorly, the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions will look and perform.

If anyone has videos of the game running on either console, can you link it?[/QUOTE]

A Senior Engineer from DICE released a presentation regarding SPU optimization yesterday...

http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/spubased-deferred-shading-in-battlefield-3-for-playstation-3

I can only imagine the PS3 version will look/perform better than the 360. Obviously the PC version will be the best looking version, but reports indicate the PS3 version looks and performs quite well. Will look for some videos.

Out of sheer curiosity...when you play online, do other players see your PSN ID or your EA Master ID? I guess this could apply to all EA games, but I haven't played an EA game online since before the whole Master ID thing was around.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Out of sheer curiosity...when you play online, do other players see your PSN ID or your EA Master ID? I guess this could apply to all EA games, but I haven't played an EA game online since before the whole Master ID thing was around.[/QUOTE]

psn id on ps3.

Some gameplay footage mixed in with explanations as to why DICE doesn't lock the game at 60 and instead chooses 30 FPS.

[youtube]JYe7hDbJ6tQ[/youtube]

EA: Battlefield 3 has 1.25 million pre-orders

We’ve previously toyed around with the idea of Battlefield 3 pre-orders topping 1 million units before launch, but it’s always hard to tell when there are no official numbers. Well, now there are, as EA CFO Eric Brown revealed during the Citi Tech Conference. Brown said that Battlefield 3 so far has been pre-ordered 1.25 million times, which is above all expectations, and certainly more than any other Battlefield game.

Brown also said that EA has a head start on Modern Warfare 3, something they plan on taking advantage of. Brown said:

“We have the advantage of a two-and-a-half week early launch window versus our competitor, and we intend to use that.”​

On top of that, Brown revealed that the marketing campaign for Battlefield 3 is bigger than that of the upcoming and much anticipated MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic.

It was previously reported, but unconfirmed, that Battlefield 3 pre-orders had surpassed 700,000 units, a number which was 10 times that of the previous Battlefield game, Bad Company 2. If you still haven’t pre-ordered, check out our list of pre-order deals currently available.

Also: No mounted machine guns in Battlefield 3

"Long standing classic Battlefield game modes Conquest and Rush are back in Battlefield 3, together with interesting new additions to make this our broadest and deepest Battlefield yet. From the close quarters infantry combat of Team Deathmatch and Squad Deathmatch to objective driven all-out vehicle warfare – Battlefield 3 has it all. All of the 9 huge multiplayer maps in Battlefield 3 adapt to all 5 game modes, effectively giving you 45 distinctly different multiplayer experiences to choose between. Without further ado, here are the five available multiplayer modes at launch in detail. What they are, what their respective goals are, and how they play."

So many details...I HIGHLY suggest you hit the link and check it out :D

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...ield-3-multiplayer-game-mode-explained.aspx##

no new game modes, if you played bfbc2. im sad that I can't blow up mcoms with my mines anymore (or tank shells). i noticed that I have almost have more mine kills (560+) than dogtags (590+). yikes!

-------------------------
If you are familiar with this game mode from Battlefield: Bad Company 2, you might want to know we are refining it for Battlefield 3 in a number of ways, based on player feedback. Some of the gameplay tweaks we are bringing to Rush are:
* You cannot use explosives or shoot at the M-COM to take it out. Only arm and disarm.
* If the attacking team arms the M-COM but runs out of tickets, the match will continue until the M-COM detonates or defenders disarm it
* If the defenders start disarming an M-COM just before it’s about to blow, the explosion is prevented until the disarm is accomplished. If the defender gets killed during the disarm process, the M-COM will instantly blow
-------------------------

Aww, but I liked going 30-0 by blowing up mcoms with a tank. So funny when defenders would rush to disarm the bomb because I would cause it to flash from shelling lol.

[quote name='Jodou']Aww, but I liked going 30-0 by blowing up mcoms with a tank. So funny when defenders would rush to disarm the bomb because I would cause it to flash from shelling lol.[/QUOTE]

For which I'm thankful they made the above changes :p Really can't wait for this. Yes, COD has that fast-paced, no skill, just react type of gameplay that is fun at first...but I want a deeper online multiplayer experience.

[quote name='SynGamer']For which I'm thankful they made the above changes :p Really can't wait for this. Yes, COD has that fast-paced, no skill, just react type of gameplay that is fun at first...but I want a deeper online multiplayer experience.[/QUOTE]

So, as someone who has never played any Battlefield games before, what is it supposedly that makes this game better or deeper than COD's online multiplayer experience?

I'm not opposed to the idea of getting both games. I'd prefer to rent B3 first to try it out before I just buy into the hype, but since EA requires an Online Pass, that pretty much hoses that idea.

Has the Open Multiplayer Beta been dated yet?

bread's done
Back