Valkyria Chronicles 2 Amazon DotD $19.99

2DMention

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Bear with me, this is my first deal thread. I did a search and didn't find anything.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is the Amazon Deal of the day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1309042182&pf_rd_i=468642

Is this worth it? I'm kind of hoarding/collecting PSP games, especially RPGs because the Vita comes out next year and it's getting near the end of the PSP's life.

I played the demo of the first game and thought it had potential to be difficult. Has anybody played this and can comment? Do you need to play the first one on the PS3 to appreciate/understand what's going on in this game? Does it have a tutorial?

[quote name='2DMention']Bear with me, this is my first deal thread. I did a search and didn't find anything.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is the Amazon Deal of the day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1309042182&pf_rd_i=468642

Is this worth it? I'm kind of hoarding/collecting PSP games, especially RPGs because the Vita comes out next year and it's getting near the end of the PSP's life.

I played the demo of the first game and thought it had potential to be difficult. Has anybody played this and can comment? Do you need to play the first one on the PS3 to appreciate/understand what's going on in this game? Does it have a tutorial?[/QUOTE]

On an unrelated note is this game rare or special? Was their a version that was? I was skimming eBay and saw games listed at $50+. I know you'll always have a seller or too that tries to prey on uninformed buyers but their were have a dozen that had this listed at $30 over retail.

The game is overall great -- if anything, it's too easy, particularly if you cheese the tank customization. There are full tutorials, and you don't need to have played the original at all (note that one large-ish late game spoiler in VC1 is way out in the open right at the start of VC2). It's a great spin on tactical RPGs.

A caveat: I'm talking in terms of gameplay and mechanics. The story and writing are a freaking train wreck, a horrible mash-up of anime and video game cliches that will have you ignoring pretty much everything that doesn't involve shooting someone in the face.

Other than that, my main qualm with the game is the random nature of class changes; you can only move to a new upgraded class by earning certain credits (sort of medals for actions in battle), but they're handed out completely at random, so trying to get a specific character a specific credit is migraine-inducing. Overall, though, it's a great strategy game, and the whole system is so novel that it holds up even in the face of brain-melting writing and characterization.

Good information to know. Thanks everybody.

I don't know... I have a feeling this is going to be rare down the line if ebay prices are $30. And it's Sega and a niche title.

I really shouldn't right now 'cuz money's tight, but I pulled the trigger and will put up with JRPG/anime cliches. I really did enjoy the demo of the first game.

I find myself on the road alot and need something to occupy my time during travel.

Keep the impressions coming!

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Thanks OP, jumped on a copy. I just finished up the first one a few weeks ago and have a hard time finding a new one around this price.[/QUOTE]

No problem. I'm always happy to help and contribute to the community anyway I can.

[quote name='2DMention']Good information to know. Thanks everybody.

I don't know... I have a feeling this is going to be rare down the line if ebay prices are $30. And it's Sega and a niche title.

I really shouldn't right now 'cuz money's tight, but I pulled the trigger and will put up with JRPG/anime cliches. I really did enjoy the demo of the first game.

Keep the impressions coming![/QUOTE]

If it it becomes "rare", it'll be way on down the line. The first one had whispers of it becoming rare a few years back, but you can find it just about anywhere now. In other words, don't buy this game because you think it will be rare, but rather because it actually is a great series(though this one if definitely weaker than the first).

Great game. Yeah, the high school silliness can be off-putting if you loved the original, but otherwise the VC awesomeness is intact.

[quote name='Mixer236']If it it becomes "rare", it'll be way on down the line. The first one had whispers of it becoming rare a few years back, but you can find it just about anywhere now. In other words, don't buy this game because you think it will be rare, but rather because it actually is a great series(though this one if definitely weaker than the first).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advise, but I plan to play this eventually. And if and when I start my store in 10-15 years, it might become uncommon during that span. You don't see it sold at Target or Walmart or anywhere else that sells PSP games, only gamestop and online.

[quote name='2DMention']Thanks for the advise, but I plan to play this eventually. And if and when I start my store in 10-15 years, it might become uncommon during that span. You don't see it sold at Target or Walmart or anywhere else that sells PSP games, only gamestop and online.[/QUOTE]

It very well could wind up becoming a somewhat rare title in that span of time, I won't say it can't as I don't know everything. :) However, one reason you won't see it at Target is because they clearance everything out. As for Walmart, I stay away from their gaming area altogether unless I happen to be looking for something that really has become rare. :lol:

This franchise should have stayed on the PS3! I have not played this game or will I play the 3rd because I have never owned a PSP. Why take one of the the best games of the generation and put in on the PSP ,of all things, exclusively?! Hopefully somebody has the good sense to bring this back to the PS3!

[quote name='Commander0Zero']This franchise should have stayed on the PS3! I have not played this game or will I play the 3rd because I have never owned a PSP. Why take one of the the best games of the generation and put in on the PSP ,of all things, exclusively?! Hopefully somebody has the good sense to bring this back to the PS3![/QUOTE]

The gameplay actually lends itself much better to portable play--I've enjoyed playing the PSP version much more than the PS3 one.

For those of you on the fence about the PSP version: the learning curve is much more gradual, the difficulty is less, and the controls work perfectly. Also, there's an incredible amount of content to partake in, so $20 is a damned good value. As other have mentioned, the plot is definitely more immature compared to the original one on the PS3, but it's not so bad that it ruins the experience.

[quote name='heyheyhey11']no free shipping. still no words on vc3 coming to the states[/QUOTE]

VC3 is not coming

[quote name='62t']VC3 is not coming[/QUOTE]

Where did you read that?

I was hoping they would put VC3 in their PSP remastered games for the PS3 like Monster Hunter. We haven't gotten Monster Hunter Portable 3rd either, but I'm thinking we will be getting the remastered PS3 version. I forgot where I read it, but Capcom said the US will be getting more Monster Hunter, but not in the form we think. I took that as we will be getting the remastered version instead.

[quote name='barrit']Where did you read that?

I was hoping they would put VC3 in their PSP remastered games for the PS3 like Monster Hunter. We haven't gotten Monster Hunter Portable 3rd either, but I'm thinking we will be getting the remastered PS3 version. I forgot where I read it, but Capcom said the US will be getting more Monster Hunter, but not in the form we think. I took that as we will be getting the remastered version instead.[/QUOTE]

The last sentence may give you hope, but I highly doubt it'll ever come stateside.

http://hcoregamer00photography.blogspot.com/2011/06/valkyria-chronicles-3-will-not-see-usa.html

Today, I bring some sad news, the 3rd Valkyria Chronicles game will never see the light of day in the United States. It was first asked on Sega on Twitter, and they responded saying that Valkyria Chronicles 3 will not be at E3 and that there has been no announcement for a stateside release. A fan of Phantasy Star Online Portable asked Sega if they will release the game in the United States and here is his paraphrase of Sega's response:
"As much as I would love to see an English release of Infinity, SEGA West is currently not looking at further PSP development. Games like PSPo2 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 did not sell nearly as well as we had hoped that they would. Also, we all have to take into account the heavy amount of piracy that plagues the West. It may happen at some point, but there are currently no plans for it. " (Link)

[quote name='barrit']Where did you read that?

I was hoping they would put VC3 in their PSP remastered games for the PS3 like Monster Hunter. We haven't gotten Monster Hunter Portable 3rd either, but I'm thinking we will be getting the remastered PS3 version. I forgot where I read it, but Capcom said the US will be getting more Monster Hunter, but not in the form we think. I took that as we will be getting the remastered version instead.[/QUOTE]

Don't have a link right now but Sega confirmed that they are done with PSP at a Phantasy Star site. I think it is pretty clear at this point companies like Sega, Konami, and Capcom are done with the PSP in the USA.

As for Monster Hunter Protable 3rd all we got so far is Capcom is pushing for it on PS3, but a lot of it is on Sony's end.

[quote name='62t']Don't have a link right now but Sega confirmed that they are done with PSP at a Phantasy Star site. I think it is pretty clear at this point companies like Sega, Konami, and Capcom are done with the PSP in the USA.

As for Monster Hunter Protable 3rd all we got so far is Capcom is pushing for it on PS3, but a lot of it is on Sony's end.[/QUOTE]

The guy above you provided a link.. what a bummer.

I'm not sure what you meant by the sentence about Monster Hunter. The PS3 HD version is being released in Japan this month, so I think it's likely we get that version instead. http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/01/mhp3rd_bravia/

I guess all we can do is just be hopeful they do something like this for VC3.

[quote name='barrit']The guy above you provided a link.. what a bummer.

I'm not sure what you meant by the sentence about Monster Hunter. The PS3 HD version is being released in Japan this month, so I think it's likely we get that version instead. http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/01/mhp3rd_bravia/

I guess all we can do is just be hopeful they do something like this for VC3.[/QUOTE]

http://www.psu.com/Svensson--Capcom-USA-is-pushing-for-PSP-Remasters-series--a012158-p0.php

It is still up to Sony America.

i can't believe valkyria chronicles didnt do well in the US, everyone is bumming over how there are no good JRPGS ever since FFXIII but apparently nobody even bought Valkyria Chronicles. This is one of the most solid JRPGs i've played in my entire life.

[quote name='exaznkid']i can't believe valkyria chronicles didnt do well in the US, everyone is bumming over how there are no good JRPGS ever since FFXIII but apparently nobody even bought Valkyria Chronicles. This is one of the most solid JRPGs i've played in my entire life.[/QUOTE]

The first game did okay, it is the second game that didnt do well

[quote name='62t']The first game did okay, it is the second game that didnt do well[/QUOTE]

Even the first didn't do that well. I remember articles back in 2008 showing how poorly it sold when it launched (just 33K copies). I don't think sales really gained steam until they dropped the price.

According to vgchartz (which you can take with a grain of salt) the game hasn't even sold a million copies yet. It's sold about 640K in the US. Compared with the 2nd I guess you can say it did good though.

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals...sole=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total

[quote name='ssjmichael']Even the first didn't do that well. I remember articles back in 2008 showing how poorly it sold when it launched (just 33K copies). I don't think sales really gained steam until they dropped the price.

According to vgchartz (which you can take with a grain of salt) the game hasn't even sold a million copies yet. It's sold about 640K in the US. Compared with the 2nd I guess you can say it did good though.

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals...sole=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total[/QUOTE]

They actually sold as many copies after the price drop as launch, which is pretty unusual for a niche title.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5279.html

It they did sold 640k (or even 300k) it would be a huge success as no one outside of Square Enix sold a million copies of any RPG. (Persona 3 and fes together sold 225k copies and it was a huge success for Atlus)

bread's done
Back