Photo
- - - - -

Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

• Please log in to reply
990 replies to this topic

#781 nexes

nexes

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

I called around to just about every Walmart in the Albany, NY region yesterday. The one off Washington Ave Extension had three in the morning and one when I called a few hours later, so presumably they're gone.

I called another six or so stores and all were out except for a few which had a couple of the blue 3DS. The exception is the location on Altamont Ave in Schenectady. They had probably 8 or so of both colors (full shelf), so I grabbed a black one from there. The new price is clearly marked on the display.

That's probably your best bet in the area, unless another store gets a shipment today/tomorrow.

#782 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

I feel guilty as a CAG spending so much money lately.. A 2nd Wii, a 2nd 3DS, but I'll deal with the financial fallout later... I still have to update my first 3DS... I still haven't played with the AR Cards.
Posted Image

#783 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

Face raiders is high Larry us! :lol:

#784 8bitogre

8bitogre

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

I think it's funny how people on Craigslist are still selling for $200+ for used units, not including games. Even when I informed them (they emailed me after picking up my unit) that the price had dropped, they basically didn't care.

#785 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

I think it's funny how people on Craigslist are still selling for $200+ for used units, not including games. Even when I informed them (they emailed me after picking up my unit) that the price had dropped, they basically didn't care.

Well to be fair some people will still buy them and be unaware of the earlier drop. I mean 200 + 10 free games + 10 more down the road > 160

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#786 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

I dont know if this has been posted but there will be a red 3DS soon

http://kotaku.com/58...ow-comes-in-red

87688.png

Playing: :xb1: Wolfenstein  :ps4: Octodad   :360:    :ps3: Used for a 3D player now   :3ds:-Pokémon X, Zelda:ALBW (3DS FC: 0447-7073-4536)

http://www.looksneat.com/topic/Gaming/

#787 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

Just stumbled across this thread which has some sweet shopped 3DS colors. http://3dsforums.com...s-made-me-5851/

#788 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

My two cents, this price drop and 20 free retro downloadable games (no future value) has turned a lot of decent cags into regular consumers. Great ploy by nintendo. I guess if we could go back and they did this for the virtual boy or sega cd, you'd all be lapping that up. Not to say this is as horrible as those but when a company flat out admits price point defeat so early, it's suspicious. No one does that. Hell sony stood by the ps3 which came out at like $4,000 at launch.

I just don't like it. As a CAG an informed gamer/consumer. But enjoy yours!

This is what I've been thinking, too. It's like, Nintendo tells you this thing is flopping hard, so they drop the price before six months is up and suddenly you guys are like, "Wow, that system I didn't want because it didn't have any games is priced a bit lower! I MUST HAVE IT!"

Perhaps they were right to price it high before so they could drop its price now. Otherwise, people might not been so happy to have it at $170 as they are now. Because if it had started out at $170, think of how low they'd have had to drop it to get your attention like they are now...

Price really wasn't the primary problem with the console. At least, not the price of the system itself. The games are overpriced, ports, it plays like something out of 2006 (stylus, nub, only one nub, 320x240 stylus-based screen), but now that it's $80 cheaper, it's a deal?

Eh. New MSRP's are not deals. Unless of course you're just aching to play Super Mario Brothers 1 and Donkey Kong in 2d again.

I'm all for people loving their system and all for people loving the 3DS if they love it, but calling this a deal and flooding the CAG forums with every store that prices this thing at its new MSRP does not in any way make this a deal or cheap.

This is MSRP-Ass Gamer. CAG becomes MAG.

#789 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

I'm all for people loving their system and all for people loving the 3DS if they love it, but calling this a deal and flooding the CAG forums with every store that prices this thing at its new MSRP does not in any way make this a deal or cheap.

Witty. And on that note, Joystiq reported Target dropped the price today.

http://www.joystiq.c...-those-20-free/
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#790 whatsinaname

whatsinaname

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

This is what I've been thinking, too. It's like, Nintendo tells you this thing is flopping hard, so they drop the price before six months is up and suddenly you guys are like, "Wow, that system I didn't want because it didn't have any games is priced a bit lower! I MUST HAVE IT!"

Perhaps they were right to price it high before so they could drop its price now. Otherwise, people might not been so happy to have it at $170 as they are now. Because if it had started out at $170, think of how low they'd have had to drop it to get your attention like they are now...

Price really wasn't the primary problem with the console. At least, not the price of the system itself. The games are overpriced, ports, it plays like something out of 2006 (stylus, nub, only one nub, 320x240 stylus-based screen), but now that it's $80 cheaper, it's a deal?

Eh. New MSRP's are not deals. Unless of course you're just aching to play Super Mario Brothers 1 and Donkey Kong in 2d again.

Not quite. A lot of us would have definitely bought a 3DS once our favourite game came out. (I would have bought the 3DS even at $250 once Mario 3DS and Paper Mario released). The deal here is that I get those 20 free games for purchasing a product early. So it is

a) Purchase 3DS at $170 in November and buy Paper Mario

OR

b) Purchase 3DS at $170 now and buy Paper Mario in November and get 20 free games (A few of which I would have bought on the eShop).

#791 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

Not quite. A lot of us would have definitely bought a 3DS once our favourite game came out. (I would have bought the 3DS even at $250 once Mario 3DS and Paper Mario released). The deal here is that I get those 20 free games for purchasing a product early. So it is

a) Purchase 3DS at $170 in November and buy Paper Mario

OR

b) Purchase 3DS at $170 now and buy Paper Mario in November and get 20 free games (A few of which I would have bought on the eShop).

I would add in like I keep saying... buying a 3DS right now should be worth over 600 coins on club nintendo giving you platinum status.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#792 heavy liquid

heavy liquid

tastes like burning

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

My two cents, this price drop and 20 free retro downloadable games (no future value) has turned a lot of decent cags into regular consumers. Great ploy by nintendo. I guess if we could go back and they did this for the virtual boy or sega cd, you'd all be lapping that up. Not to say this is as horrible as those but when a company flat out admits price point defeat so early, it's suspicious. No one does that. Hell sony stood by the ps3 which came out at like $4,000 at launch.

You don't think it's a deal because the free games are not physical media?

My 2 cents: If anyone planned on buying a 3DS in the future as well as any of the downloadable games... it's a deal. The more games you would have bought, the better the deal.

I personally buy a lot of games online (though I too, prefer physical media), so I could easily see myself buying 7-10 of the games, bringing the price of the 3DS under $100 if you factor that in. Pretty good deal, in my books.

#793 karyadi

karyadi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

I think it's douchey that the red 3DS is coming out after the program ends. It's been out in Europe for ages. I prefer the red to the black/blue one anyways.

#794 illennium

illennium

Systems Analyst

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

I think it's douchey that the red 3DS is coming out after the program ends. It's been out in Europe for ages. I prefer the red to the black/blue one anyways.

I hear they're giving them out for free in London.

#795 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Target is now selling 3DS for $169, probably in response to Walmart dropping early.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#796 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

I agree completely. Seems like a lot of CAGs here have caught MSRP-fever with the 20 free old downloadable games, most of which would probably not sell for more than a buck on iOS/Android market. Nintendo's "retail prices" for their downloadable games is laughably high; NES and GB games should be a dollar max, GBA maybe a couple bucks max. The 20 free games wouldn't suddenly tip me to buy the 3DS, but then again I wasn't impressed with the system in the first place. Basing a handheld system on 3D as the big selling aspect is contradictory; as you move the system around during play, it messes with the 3D viewing sweet spot. Plus the overall specs for the system are way underpowered for a 2011-release console.

However it will be interesting to see how things play out for the 3DS this holiday season . . . really a make or break for the system, IMO. Since the Vita is delayed in Europe/North America until early 2012, the 3DS will get a chance to garner holiday sales, and it might help.

As for the games, nothing of interest for me on it. I wish they had put their effort into a single (larger) screen handheld, with much more power than the 3DS has, but unfortunately it looks like they just stuck with a slightly upgraded DS, adding the 3D feature to reel people in.

#797 j.m.ratkos

j.m.ratkos

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

you must be a visitor from the future, and if so can you give me some stock tips as well?

the flare (or flame) red system has only officially been released in japan. noa announced (this week) that the color will be making its u.s. debut on 09 sep, but no uk date has been announced by noe for this colour system yet

#798 hostyl1

hostyl1

Rejoice commoners!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

I agree completely. Seems like a lot of CAGs here have caught MSRP-fever with the 20 free old downloadable games, most of which would probably not sell for more than a buck on iOS/Android market. Nintendo's "retail prices" for their downloadable games is laughably high; NES and GB games should be a dollar max, GBA maybe a couple bucks max. The 20 free games wouldn't suddenly tip me to buy the 3DS, but then again I wasn't impressed with the system in the first place. Basing a handheld system on 3D as the big selling aspect is contradictory; as you move the system around during play, it messes with the 3D viewing sweet spot. Plus the overall specs for the system are way underpowered for a 2011-release console.

So, even taking your valuation, a system @MSRP with (at least) $20 worth of games is *not* a deal in your eyes?

I understand that you may not personally be persuaded by this (I certainly am not), but I think, even based on your given valuations it passes the smell test as "a deal".

It just happens to be a deal you have no interest in, and that's cool too.
Posted Image

#799 tadrow

tadrow

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

I hear they're giving them out for free in London.

Nice.

#800 cRodz

cRodz

Lead Chimp Ass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

Nice.

http://www.worldstar...47xpmM9Hb2KJZ9A

The Chav with the hat scored a Black 3DS

#801 chriscolbert

chriscolbert

Push Me, Pull Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:11 PM

To whoever it was crying about this being a MSRP "deal" - I thought it was pretty obvious that the reason this is considered a deal was solely to double dip on the free games and the new price. After August 12th this definitely won't be a deal, but for approximately $80 worth of downloadable games to just be handed to you for buying the system before the 12th, that's most certainly a deal for anyone interested in at least some of those games.
Posted Image “Jeter always gives me a pound after every inning,” Sabathia explained.

#802 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

So, even taking your valuation, a system @MSRP with (at least) $20 worth of games is *not* a deal in your eyes?

I understand that you may not personally be persuaded by this (I certainly am not), but I think, even based on your given valuations it passes the smell test as "a deal".

It just happens to be a deal you have no interest in, and that's cool too.

I understand what you're saying, and obviously for many people this is a "deal", and that's fine; but if there isn't a compelling reason to actually own the system (for me there isn't), then it doesn't matter. There aren't any 3DS games out right now that would make me want one anyway, and the older eShop games are not going to make that happen either (would rather have a DSL/DSi/XL for those, due to the odd 3DS upper screen resolution which doesn't work well for those games), soooooo . . . its an easy pass. I'm patient and I have a huge backlog on many platforms to play right now anyway, no big rush. If Nintendo sorts things out and improves the 3DS (particularly with a revised console, which many people are doubtful they'd release anytime in the near future), I might consider it.

#803 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

Are we really arguing if this is a "deal" when it was posted by the guy who owns the site?

Geesh...
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#804 frpilot

frpilot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

not sure to pick one up or not. i will probably never use it, but 20 old games and price drop seems enticing, but battery life and i rather have a 3ds light (if they even make one).

there's nothing i want to play on it anyways, i think i just want it just to have it. i shouldn't waste money. i hope i can last 2 more days without buying one.

#805 pippin

pippin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

Newsflash: You don't have to enter threads and discuss deals that you don't believe are real "deals" and/or have no interest in.

You can do what normal people do and just ignore threads that don't interest you.

#806 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

This thread is around two weeks old and people are still arguing lmao
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png

#807 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

This thread is around two weeks old and people are still arguing lmao

While I agree that it's ridiculous... five days = ~2 weeks? :D :D :D
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#808 xRemnant

xRemnant

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

Target and Walmart both have the new low price. So for people who bough it at Best Buy prior to this new pricing, are you able to Price match AND Price adjust without hassle?

#809 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

While I agree that it's ridiculous... five days = ~2 weeks? :D :D :D

Yea I got it mixed up with the other one lol (that one is just as bad anyway)
Currently playing
:ps4: infamous first light, fez, strider, blacklight retribution, mlb 14, the transistor, assassins creed black flag :wiiu: new super mario bros u, zelda ww hd

games recently beaten: :ps4: lego marvel, contrast, watch dogs, infamous second son, killzone shadowfall, murdered soul suspect

690739.png

#810 chriscolbert

chriscolbert

Push Me, Pull Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

Target and Walmart both have the new low price. So for people who bough it at Best Buy prior to this new pricing, are you able to Price match AND Price adjust without hassle?

I'm waiting until Friday just because I don't see the rush. It's much easier for them to price match their own system than to call to verify an unadvertised price.
Posted Image “Jeter always gives me a pound after every inning,” Sabathia explained.