Photo
- - - - -

Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

• Please log in to reply
990 replies to this topic

#121 danddman

danddman

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

Right now you can buy a 3DS on Amazon for $215. If the Walmart deal doesn't carry through, this might be a good bet.
I wonder when the deal will go "live". If I show up at Walmart Tuesday at 12:01 am will that work? Anyone here with any insight?

#122 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

Right now you can buy a 3DS on Amazon for $215. If the Walmart deal doesn't carry through, this might be a good bet.
I wonder when the deal will go "live". If I show up at Walmart Tuesday at 12:01 am will that work? Anyone here with any insight?

How on earth is $215 a good deal?

#123 danddman

danddman

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

What I meant is that if you want to 20 free games and Walmart doesn't follow through, you could order a 3DS on Amazon and get it before the July 12th deadline. Maybe you don't think it is a good deal, but I'm just trying to contribute.

#124 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:08 PM

What I meant is that if you want to 20 free games and Walmart doesn't follow through, you could order a 3DS on Amazon and get it before the July 12th deadline. Maybe you don't think it is a good deal, but I'm just trying to contribute.

Why not just buy it at best buy and get and adjustment??

#125 exaznkid

exaznkid

Spare Some Change

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

Awesome...so people can have a 170 dollar useless brick that gives you eye strain for the hour it has batteries instead of a 250 dollar one. Make sure you all jump on this deal pronto! Lol

Ay! if you're gonna try to troll someone at least try to make some sense.

#126 pandanese90

pandanese90

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:14 AM

ok so i figured, no one knows when the flare red version of the 3ds will come out, but watching an unboxing, they said the buttons click more crisp and the original black and aqua has plastic cheap press on them. I know it doesnt matter much, but is it true? (crappy buttons?) i have a psp go and the button press are smooth as jesus's cross.
u think they'll update them for the black one? i really that one =] and for the deals, im gonna try to go to walmart and see if i can get it , but im sure the employees will be very dumbfounded about the deal.. -__-
also, if not the walmart deal, do u think the following week will release butt loads of deals with the 3ds and i'll fall into regret?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just want pokemon white and super scribblenauts whens i get my 3ds.

#127 pandanese90

pandanese90

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:15 AM

ok so i figured, no one knows when the flare red version of the 3ds will come out, but watching an unboxing, they said the buttons click more crisp and the original black and aqua has plastic cheap press on them. I know it doesnt matter much, but is it true? (crappy buttons?) i have a psp go and the button press are smooth as jesus's cross.
u think they'll update them for the black one? i really that one =] and for the deals, im gonna try to go to walmart and see if i can get it , but im sure the employees will be very dumbfounded about the deal.. -__-
also, if not the walmart deal, do u think the following week will release butt loads of deals with the 3ds and i'll fall into regret?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just want pokemon white and super scribblenauts whens i get my 3ds.

#128 shadow1w2

shadow1w2

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:15 AM

Well, I was planning on buying a 3DS after the price cut when a game I might like is cheap enough or when unofficial homebrew support appears.

Though if I can pay 170 now and get the 20 free games I might as well buy it now.

Hopefully one of my local Wal-Marts will have the price drop early morning and there won't be too many people who caught onto the deal right away.
Two Wal-Marts to try so maybe I'll get lucky.

Price cut and a chance to get the special free game deal has me sold.

Especially since I won't be buying any games till they get dirt cheap.

Might get Zelda though, knowing that game they'll never lower its price five years from now >.<

#129 KnightPaladin

KnightPaladin

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:29 AM

planning to go out and buy a 3DS tomorrow at target.

If I do buy it tomorrow at $250 and come back on the 12th, will target adjust the price?

thanks for any advice. I wanted to get one at launch but couldn't justify the huge price tag.

#130 steveliv

steveliv

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:22 AM

planning to go out and buy a 3DS tomorrow at target.

If I do buy it tomorrow at $250 and come back on the 12th, will target adjust the price?

thanks for any advice. I wanted to get one at launch but couldn't justify the huge price tag.

I just picked one up earlier today and the Best Buy associate already knew about this and reminded me to come back after the 12th to get a price adjustment. Target shouldn't give you any trouble either. There is not going to be a different SKU, so no issues there.

Target's price adjust period is the current week of purchase or the week after.

Best Buy will adjust within the "Exchange and Return Period" which is 30 days normally, and 45 days for Premier Silver members.

I would suggest you do it sooner rather than later.

Good luck everyone!

#131 KnightPaladin

KnightPaladin

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:39 AM

[quote name='steveliv']

Thanks for the info Steveliv,

Good to see bestbuy tells their customers to come back to adjust the price.

#132 Yuckmouth

Yuckmouth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:52 AM

[quote name='KnightPaladin'][quote name='steveliv']

Thanks for the info Steveliv,

Good to see bestbuy tells their customers to come back to adjust the price.[/QUOTE]

Hold up on Target. I went there tonight and asked and they said they wouldn't because it wasn't an "advertised sale price". If you look at the wording of their adjustment policy it does actually refer to advertised prices. The best part? They told me that best buy was allowing the price adjustment!!!! So I went to BB, talked to the (a?) store manager and he said they certainly would do the price adjustment.

I'm not completely sure I believe Target, it sounded like a canned response from the guy I talked to and he did know about the price drop coming up. The wording of the policy is a little different online than on the wall in the store by customer service.

I would have preferred to get mine at Target because with my redcard I save 5% and I can just walk to the service counter and pay the balance off before I leave the store. I am buying two, so that would almost completely wipe out the tax. Oh well, I'll pay the tax to get 20 free games for my kids on each system.

#133 hero2_the_rescue

hero2_the_rescue

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:19 AM

I just looked at the ad and the 3DS was not mentioned in there. I guess we'll just have to wait until Tuesday to find out.

#134 Dacoops3

Dacoops3

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:29 AM

Does anyone know what Walmart's price guarantee policy is? Can I just go in on Monday and get one and then get the updated price match later in the week?

#135 steveliv

steveliv

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:35 AM

The price drop will not involve a new SKU so Target is still a go. All you do is bring your receipt to customer service and say that the price dropped. They will scan the receipt, they will scan the item, and the computer will figure the difference. You'll get it back the way you paid. I did this back when the BTTF bluray set dropped in price. They didn't ask to see an ad.

Wal-Marts policy is unclear. Best Buy is going to be your best bet if you want a sure thing.

#136 AirMcLaren

AirMcLaren

Trophy Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:37 AM

I bought a 3DS at Walmart yesterday. The manager of the electronics section assured me that if I brought back the box unopened they would do a price adjustment, which he confirmed was happening Tuesday. The catch was that the box has to be unopened, as he claimed that the price drop on the 3DS was a "rollback," meaning, a temporary sale. I tried explaining to him that to my knowledge it was permanent, but he seemed convinced otherwise. Either way, I now have a black 3DS that I'll be keeping in the box go bring in Tuesday to get the price adjustment.

#137 e3man01

e3man01

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

Best Buy offers a 30 day price guarantee, verified thru their stores and Cust Service.

Target has a 14 day price adjust, so buy it before 8/12/11 and get the difference back, plus the free games.

I bought one back in June when Target offered a $25 GC w/purchase of the 3DS. Luckily, I had no time to open it before so it went back and I'll be purchasing another one this week before 8/12/11 & I'll get the free games. It's not the free games I care about, The $70 price difference IS.

It's a loop hole and not an immoral one either. Retailers offer price guarantees and we, the Consumers benefit from that. Nintendo, BTW, should know this and make the adjustment. So the REAL early adopters get the benefit and not the Johnny-Come-Latelys, like myself.

#138 steveliv

steveliv

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

I bought a 3DS at Walmart yesterday. The manager of the electronics section assured me that if I brought back the box unopened they would do a price adjustment, which he confirmed was happening Tuesday. The catch was that the box has to be unopened, as he claimed that the price drop on the 3DS was a "rollback," meaning, a temporary sale. I tried explaining to him that to my knowledge it was permanent, but he seemed convinced otherwise. Either way, I now have a black 3DS that I'll be keeping in the box go bring in Tuesday to get the price adjustment.

If you didn't want the 20 free games, you could have just waited to buy it on the 12th (the 3ds is in no danger of being out of stock). If you do want the 20 free games then you will need to connect to the eshop before the 12th. If that is the case, you should return the 3DS to walmart, and purchase it at a store like target or best buy that don't care if you have opened the system, as they only require you to bring the receipt to do the pricematch.

#139 a_dirty_Shisno

a_dirty_Shisno

Thievius Cagcoonus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

If you didn't want the 20 free games, you could have just waited to buy it on the 12th (the 3ds is in no danger of being out of stock). If you do want the 20 free games then you will need to connect to the eshop before the 12th. If that is the case, you should return the 3DS to walmart, and purchase it at a store like target or best buy that don't care if you have opened the system, as they only require you to bring the receipt to do the pricematch.

Except he confirmed the price drop would happen the 9th (Tuesday). Obviously he purchased it now to ensure he would have one on the 9th. I'm sure he'd be kicking himself if he waited to buy it and then found that his Walmart sold out before he could return.

After he receives the price drop I'm also sure he has every intention to open it before the 12th, update the system, and connect to the eShop to become an Ambassador.

--- I am the Thievius Cagcoonus.
---What the hell happened there!  I started writing a serious post and suddenly I became an infomercial!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- US Government To Tackle Patent Trolls (whenever they get around to it).  Write your Senators and Congressmen (to make them get it done).

--- California Minimum Wage: $9/hr (July 2014), $10/hr (January 2016)

#140 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

^^ A useless brick that plays Ocarina of Time perfectly on the go.

<3 my 3DS

First portable since the GBA I actually am excited for and preordered. I'm tempted to buy another and do the price match and let friends borrow it to play games with.

#141 Nintendonly

Nintendonly

feck this shat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

Does anyone know what Walmart's price guarantee policy is? Can I just go in on Monday and get one and then get the updated price match later in the week?

1. Price adjustment policy = 7 days

2. Return/exchange policy = 15 days

You can us #2 for your same 3DS.

#142 Nintendonly

Nintendonly

feck this shat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

Err, I don't know what that guy is smoking, but Rollbacks are permanent price drops.

#143 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

Err, I don't know what that guy is smoking, but Rollbacks are permanent price drops.

Technically... no.

A good majority of the time (especially in the Video Games category), Rollbacks are permanent. However, at the end of the standard Rollback period (90 days), the price may go back up (something you see more often in consumables).
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#144 donssword

donssword

Gaming longer than u

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

Walmart may have it as a rollback in their system for this SKU, which is a number in a spreadsheet, and not a handheld game console.

There will likely be a new SKU for the price dropped ones, after the official announcement. This may be the only way they can reconcile it with their system, and the fact that Nintendo probably does not let retailers drop prices like that--that would be an anti-competittive pricing strategy and against the big-N's pricing policies.

Fact is, the associate in the store is not privvy to corp decisions, and corp knows they can move a Fuck load of 3DS that have been sucking up warehouse and shelf space, so they get place another huge order in prep for Xmas. Walmart moves a fuckload of 3DS, orders more from the distributor, and maintains their market dominance and marketing strategy partnership with Nintendo. This puts more 3DS in the hands of happy Walmart customers, keeps Nintendo fans happy, and makes the customer think Walmart may be the place for Nintendo deals, so they will check out the games section at Walmart next time they are there, and skip the trip to Gamestop. And while your in Walmart checking out the games, you will be buying something else. Walmart's brand perception improves, they sell more merch, the stock goes up, the Execs get a raise, and everyone is happy.

--
My first console: the Teletype 33.

DonsSword.png

#145 karyadi

karyadi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

Where do they get these asshat managers anyways? They seem to have IQs of a turtle, no disrespect towards the turtle community though. Seems like most managers need some major relearning. Even if he considers it to be a "rollback", the price won't go back up since it's a price drop. You're still in the clear, and he just earned another douchebag patch.

#146 strait edge follower

strait edge follower

Cult of personality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hey guys, any tips on how to set up the 3d slider settings ?
Currently playing
:ps4: watch dogs, contrast, resogun, assassins creed black flag

games recently beaten: :ps4: infamous second son, call of duty ghosts, killzone shadowfall, knack :ps3: kingdom hearts hd :vita: final fantasy x hd, :wiiu: donkey kong tropical freeze

#147 Envel

Envel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

I paid half gift card half credit card. If Best Buy tries to just give me back my gift card I'll just do a return/rebuy.

#148 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hey guys, any tips on how to set up the 3d slider settings ?

Up is 3D, down is 2D. ;)

Seriously, unless you are talking about something other than the slider on the side of the screen, it's that simple. Just adjust it until it is "comfortable" for your viewing pleasure.
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#149 An Orange Cat

An Orange Cat

Pet My Fur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

I have some grocery shopping to do at Walmart today. I'll swing by electronics and ask about the Tuesday drop as well as scope out the supply in the case. Online it says Aqua Blue is "limited supply" at my local store while black says "in stock".

#150 steveliv

steveliv

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

As far as we know, there will be no SKU change.that makes sense since this was not a price drop that seemed to have been planned far in advance.