Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
782 replies to this topic

#631 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

FYI the current problem with PVP gear, and hilariously creates the opposite of PVE players playing PVE for gear, is that expertise has a bad diminishing returns curve, so that BIS PVP gear is a mix of Battlemaster and Rakata. The PVP gear rebalance should fix the issue of having to do raids to optimize PVP gear as well. It's good for everyone!

BiS is matrix cube and either 2pc rakata (which pieces will vary per class pending the armoring) or crafted belt & bracer (not rakata BTW) with main stat augments. Once you can pull the barrel/hilt from a T3 weapon, an orange craft with an augment slot will also be BiS. I've already min/maxed the hell out of my char and consistently get the 5k dmg medal in warzones, even on full BM players.

The rebalance will do nothing for the situation of needing to raid because of the set bonuses, though.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#632 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Is there a thread on CAG for people wanting invites to the 7-day friends trial? I have a few invites to give away.

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#633 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Finally hit level 50. Operative spec'd to healing was a great idea for warzones. Had my 1000/1000 commendations ready to go, so even though I just hit 50 I was able to stay in the game and earn highest healer.

Now it is time to hit up those cubes and HM FP.

#634 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

I see a ton of OP healers now because they're so broken in PvP. No healing class should be allowed the mobility they have and outheal two dps beating on them. They can literally just keep running in circles and keep instant heals going without ever dying. My second BM is an OP and I've just enjoyed stabbing people since it takes no skill and gets tons of rage tells. It's sad how easily I kill people on the OP, yet playing an arsenal merc takes so much more skill to be effective. I can open up on players for 10k easily in the span of the knockdown by pressing two buttons, yet the BH is lucky to get 3k in the same time and could be interrupted.

I'm ranting, but this game has a long way to go before it will be taken seriously by the PvP community. Our server has had a sharp dropoff of elite PvPers and I'm probably done next week unless my guys want to stay. The TORtanic is sinking fast. . .

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#635 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

The only problem with the OP healing is the inability deal decent nuke heals. If me or my teammates are at 60% HP and higher I can be effective, but if people are smart and concentrate fire onto one person, I can at most just prolong their death. Healing over time is only effective for so long.

Granted that this is my first MMO so things are still pretty new, but it seems stupid easy to lock-down a team and vice-versa.

Powertech DPS looks to be fun, so I have that to be my second character. Overall I am still enjoying the game with my buddies, though it will be another few more days before everyone is at level 50.

#636 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

So I downloaded the trial to give it a try. I am impressed. So far it feels like a single player only game instead of an MMORPG.

I don't think it's worth 60 though.

#637 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

So I downloaded the trial to give it a try. I am impressed. So far it feels like a single player only game instead of an MMORPG.

I don't think it's worth 60 though.

Yeah, once you hit 50 the honeymoon is over. Some of the storylines really suck, like Agent, but others are really well done like BH.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#638 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

Yeah, once you hit 50 the honeymoon is over. Some of the storylines really suck, like Agent, but others are really well done like BH.

Haven't played an agent yet, but I was under the impression popular consensus put it as the best story.

So, different strokes I guess.
Posted Image

#639 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:52 AM

Well I am (forget the level) a bounty hunter, doing all these little side quests and those hutt missions. I am on a standard server but see very few other real players. I do feel like I am playing a single player game. The Story is nice so far, but I want to explore the galaxy like I did with SWG...I might just end up subscribing to the game when I get paid.

#640 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:15 AM

I didn't finish my Agent but the story was awesome until level 35-40, then it got real weird and I stopped caring what was happening.

#641 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

I got 2 50's and I got bored of the game about a month ago. I might subscribe for a little while around 1.2. My 2 accounts are actually still going was hoping they would last till 1.2 on the prepaid cards I had added.

#642 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hmm....I guess the reports about TOR causing PC problems is true...my machine is slowing to a crawl and now getting weird pop up errors.

#643 woodcan

woodcan

TX Regional CAG VP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

I've got far from a "new" PC and SWTOR hasn't caused any issues with my machine.
Spoiler

#644 TwelveVolt

TwelveVolt

Nobody from Nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hmm....I guess the reports about TOR causing PC problems is true...my machine is slowing to a crawl and now getting weird pop up errors.

What "reports" are you speaking of? I haven't heard anything, and it runs just fine on both of my machines.

#645 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

I have a trial.. I just can not get into this game. Cut scenes for collecting items in a quest? I don't know. It's pretty and essentially has a cool factor, but this didn't feel like an MMO. Just a glorified single player game.

Not saying it's bad. Just saying.. it's really not for me.

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#646 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

What "reports" are you speaking of? I haven't heard anything, and it runs just fine on both of my machines.

I read it somewhere several weeks ago.

I have a trial.. I just can not get into this game. Cut scenes for collecting items in a quest? I don't know. It's pretty and essentially has a cool factor, but this didn't feel like an MMO. Just a glorified single player game.

Not saying it's bad. Just saying.. it's really not for me.

To be honest, I agree with you.. It feels very single player like....granted I was only on that one starter planet during the weekend, but I didn't see many people on.

I will wait for a price drop to around 30.

#647 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

To be honest, I agree with you.. It feels very single player like....granted I was only on that one starter planet during the weekend, but I didn't see many people on.

Even if there were a lot of people on you wouldn't see them thanks to their instancing. Though on your factions space station you'll see a lot more people as I believe instancing is a little bit different there than everywhere else.

#648 lt_homer

lt_homer

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

I read it somewhere several weeks ago.

I will wait for a price drop to around 30.

ITs 40 on amazon today. I used some credit I had and got it for 20

#649 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Trust me, I'd be a happy motherfucker if the game really was single-player.

/pout

Posted Image

#650 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Trust me, I'd be a happy motherfucker if the game really was single-player.

/pout

Even if there were a lot of people on you wouldn't see them thanks to their instancing. Though on your factions space station you'll see a lot more people as I believe instancing is a little bit different there than everywhere else.

Now this is what is worrying me.... I don't want to drop 40-50 dollars on a game then pay 15 bucks a month to play what feels like a single player game and not met new people and so on.

#651 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

Depending on the server, this simply isn't true. Yes there's lots of instancing but rarely is it used outside of class quests. On my server, every area was bustling throughout the three characters I leveled to 50. Either they rolled on a dead server or things are beginning to slow down since many subs expired this week. Server mergers should be a priority at this point, but they never developed the tools prior to launch (and due to the complexity of the legacy system, the game might die before they're able).

Here's a general census of PvP servers during prime time as of March 1st:
Spoiler

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#652 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

Depending on the server, this simply isn't true. Yes there's lots of instancing but rarely is it used outside of class quests. On my server, every area was bustling throughout the three characters I leveled to 50. Either they rolled on a dead server or things are beginning to slow down since many subs expired this week. Server mergers should be a priority at this point, but they never developed the tools prior to launch (and due to the complexity of the legacy system, the game might die before they're able).

Here's a general census of PvP servers during prime time as of March 1st:

Spoiler

I think what you're thinking of is different than what I'm thinking of. While it's essentially the same thing, they're used in entirely different situations. I'm talking about load balancing instancing of zones that separates the population and causes you to see less than what's actually in the zone.

I still remember that time I was stuck on Illos 2 by myself... The joy of being told to "Get to X point to complete your daily, I'm waiting!" only to arrive and realize there's nothing happening and you're off in your own zone wide instance.

#653 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

I think what you're thinking of is different than what I'm thinking of. While it's essentially the same thing, they're used in entirely different situations. I'm talking about load balancing instancing of zones that separates the population and causes you to see less than what's actually in the zone.

I still remember that time I was stuck on Illos 2 by myself... The joy of being told to "Get to X point to complete your daily, I'm waiting!" only to arrive and realize there's nothing happening and you're off in your own zone wide instance.

I haven't seen instances of world zones since the first month of release (except for Ilum but never more than two instances), and that's on The Fatman (#1 populated server). Even with the free weekend, it's highly unlikely the zones were that overloaded.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#654 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Well if they toned it down/removed it, then that's good. I couldn't say for certain because sometimes the planet wide whois wouldn't show which instance you were in. One patch you would see "Illos" on everybody and the next you would see "Illos 1" and "Illos 2".

#655 woodcan

woodcan

TX Regional CAG VP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

I made the difficult decision to start from scratch on one of the more populated servers because I couldn't find anybody to raid with and my guild cancelled all future raids on Bondar Crystal. At most there were typically about 40-50 people on the fleet in the evenings. New server had 3 times that on just the starting planet and last night there were over 200 people on the fleet and another 170 on the planet I was questing. I hope that eventually I can migrate my lvl 50 GS and Sage over to merge with my new toon.

On the note of subs/server pop comparison, I tried WoW again over Spring Break and during peak hours I found a handful of servers with Standard load (none higher) but most were Light. I found 1 person in my starting area twice from levels 1-10 and one of them was the friend who urged me to try it again looking for me.
Spoiler

#656 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

I made the difficult decision to start from scratch on one of the more populated servers because I couldn't find anybody to raid with and my guild cancelled all future raids on Bondar Crystal. At most there were typically about 40-50 people on the fleet in the evenings. New server had 3 times that on just the starting planet and last night there were over 200 people on the fleet and another 170 on the planet I was questing. I hope that eventually I can migrate my lvl 50 GS and Sage over to merge with my new toon.

On the note of subs/server pop comparison, I tried WoW again over Spring Break and during peak hours I found a handful of servers with Standard load (none higher) but most were Light. I found 1 person in my starting area twice from levels 1-10 and one of them was the friend who urged me to try it again looking for me.

Yours is a typical sob-story that is posted daily on the general forums. They overestimated the success of the game with roughly half the servers WoW currently has and ~1/10th the population. As for WoW, it's in a lull state until MoP which happens every expansion. Once you hit the ceiling, there's no reason to keep playing. TOR just happens to get there way too fast and the nerfs coming in 1.2 have already driven tons of people away.

They should have spent six years balancing and fine-tuning their MMO, not recording VO.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#657 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Free trial weekend for anyone who cares. You have to create a new account, but no CC is required and level cap is 15. Seems they're desperate to attract new customers given the string of free trial weekends.

Has anyone seen the numbers for March? That's a question, not a statement because they've been (unsurprisingly) quiet.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#658 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Seriously, Nadd's Sarcophagus (WC PvP) is barely hitting 40 people during peak hours in the fleet.

The game has things to like (ie. Star Wars stuff) but EA needs to back off and let Bioware/Mythic do their thing. 1.2 will not bring people back, lack of people= lack of PvP game, which means it takes even longer for me to get my BM gear. I don't want to wait 40 minutes just to play one game of warzone where everyone quits once they are down by a few points.

#659 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Damn I wish they'd take the level caps off the free weekends.

Posted Image

#660 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

They are trying to give you a taste of their drug, the sad part is their drug only starts when you get off the first world. Then it fades away quickly after getting close to end game. For some it fades almost immediately.