n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

BioWare lays off staff on Star Wars: The Old Republic
Posted ImagePosted Image

#722 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

Anyone notice in the EA presentation they announced a higher level cap? Haha, they haven't even balanced the game properly for 50 and now they want to add the extra stress on their devs of a new plateau? Nevermind the fact they're barely six months out the gate. These guys are trying to move way too fast and it will come back to haunt them.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#723 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

My foot itches..must be athlete's foot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hey guys! So I picked up the game for 20 the other day when was a deal of the day at best buy. I've read that it's going to be F2P up to level 15 in July. Here is my question.
Lets say I wait for the F2P to hit..play the game up to level 15..activate my subscription, level up as much as I can within 29 days then cancel my subscription. Will the game still be able to be F2P and allow me to keep my level 50 some character?

#724 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hey guys! So I picked up the game for 20 the other day when was a deal of the day at best buy. I've read that it's going to be F2P up to level 15 in July. Here is my question.
Lets say I wait for the F2P to hit..play the game up to level 15..activate my subscription, level up as much as I can within 29 days then cancel my subscription. Will the game still be able to be F2P and allow me to keep my level 50 some character?

No it would not be F2P, it's only
F2P up to level 15.

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#725 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:52 AM

What have I done? Resubbed because it's star wars! Hello The Bastion.

#726 woodcan

woodcan

TX Regional CAG VP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

What have I done? Resubbed because it's star wars! Hello The Bastion.

I'm still having a great time with it. Server transfers have also really boosted population.

I'm also really looking forward to the 1.3 Allies update going live today!
Spoiler

#727 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

IT'S F2P NOW!

http://www.pcgamer.c...#comment-261426

Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!

http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

It's free or Fuck it!

#728 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Not really. Still sub-based after level 15, so it's just an automated trial at this point; no more weekend invites.

Also, they've given us veterans a week of free play (ending 7/17) to try out their latest patch. I couldn't care less as I'm enthralled with Dragon's Dogma atm.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#729 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Still Free 2 Play for all. No money down and you can play around. That's good for enough for me...besides this is the first step to full on F2P :)

Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!

http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

It's free or Fuck it!

#730 swift fix

swift fix

first person gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

I loaded the game last night and began playing around with a human smuggler. The story stuff seems fun, but the combat is already feeling pretty tired.

It's also a shame that you can't chat with other players without subscribing.

#731 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

It's also a shame that you can't chat with other players without subscribing.

No it's not. Keeps gold spam down.
Posted Image

#732 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

I loaded the game last night and began playing around with a human smuggler. The story stuff seems fun, but the combat is already feeling pretty tired.

That is because you have only about 4 or 5 skills. I have 4+1 (cover action bar) skill bars filled. The game offers a lot of depth to how you want to play your character when you start placing points into the skill tree.

Though story PvE combat is a bore sometimes, FP and Operations require more attention.

#733 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

they are re-releasing kotor 1 and 2 for $20. it comes out next week, not sure if it will be patched good for windows 7, but the sith lords restored contect mod is supposed to be good. if it was 10 bucks for both games instead of 20, that would be easier to swallow esp if it is just a straight re release without actually fixing the game.
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#734 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

I think a game journalist could field a really interesting multi-article feature on SWTOR. In the right hands, an overview of the conception, development, release, and decline of this game would be interesting both in terms of MMORPGs (in context of gaming itself) and the value of IP/branding (in context of the industry). I'm still surprised at how this played out for EA/Bioware. It's been very interesting to follow (even though I haven't played a minute of the game).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#735 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

In terms of WoW killer, yes it flopped in the numbers department. In terms of it still having an active community? People are still playing and enough of them are playing to prevent this game from becoming F2P.

Currently on The Bastion west coast PvP and the game is thriving. Current guild has 18-20 people to run ranked PvP with every night and PvE is a breeze to get groups with now. At launch the were issues, but as of 1.3 a lot of those have been addressed. Certainly not good for EA that they released the game without some key features, but PvP right now is certainly entertaining in the correct way.

MMORPGs are tough for most people to get into. For one, the learning curve and grind is there for a reason (money! okay a joke) but it is there to teach the player what it takes to keep up with the end game content.

#736 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Its value as a pvp experience or active (though not thriving) community is immaterial. I can't think of another example of an IP this big and that much development money and prestige being used on a game. They didn't set out to make an okay game that might struggle and eventually go F2P; they set out to establish a cash cow out of the gate. And they failed.

I don't know that their intent was "WoW killer," but they certainly recognized that there was an opportunity in all of those WoW monthly subscriptions. If the numbers released, this thread, and other resources are a decent measure, then they didn't retain those subs beyond a few months after release. The analogy I'd use (which may not be accurate) is that EA wanted to create a Pepsi to Activision's Coke. And again, they failed.

The story IMO isn't compelling because a reader might hate Bioware, or EA, or Star Wars, it's just interesting given the time taken, the resources used, the visibility of the project, the value of the IP, and the challenges faced. From start to finish, it's a good one.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#737 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

The saddest part of this tale is it was the game that killed SWG simply because they didn't want two competing SW MMOs. I bet money that SWG would still be around right now if not for TOR and it's sad SWG was the better game, even after the NGE and eight years.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#738 woodcan

woodcan

TX Regional CAG VP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

I never played SWG but everyone I talk to said it became pure crap near the end and they enjoy SWTOR much more. There were a few ideas they liked about SWG but on the whole enjoy SWTOR much more.

I'm still thoroughly enjoying SWTOR and with the server transfers the 12 main servers have been remaining well populated.
Spoiler

#739 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

My foot itches..must be athlete's foot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:00 AM

You know I still haven't opened up my copy from the BB DOTD sale back in June. Should I just go ahead and return it?

#740 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:52 AM

You know I still haven't opened up my copy from the BB DOTD sale back in June. Should I just go ahead and return it?

I'd try to sell it. The $20 price you spent is less than it goes for right now, could prolly make $10 by selling it.

Unless you wanna play the game soon.
Posted Image

#741 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

That will change fast when the market shifts in a month for GW2. The game will be reeling when pandas comes out, though.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#742 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

It's going completely free to play this fall.

http://www.forbes.co...play-this-fall/

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#743 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

I'm not happy about it but at least they're following LOTRO's FTP model. So I can still sub to the game if I choose to.

I'll wait for more details before I decide if I'm done with this game or not.

EDIT: Just looked at the FTP page http://www.swtor.com/free

I'm getting 2000 coins for their in game store right outta the bat because of my prior sub time and the CE. Gotta say that's a great way to retain goodwill among older players, I might keep my sub after all.
Posted Image

#744 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

It's going completely free to play this fall.

http://www.forbes.co...play-this-fall/

They must be in real dire straits then, moreso than even I thought. I thought for sure it would settle down into a 500k sub groove for a few years before finally shutting down or going fully F2P. I'm actually rather shocked, but the writing was on the wall after they kept losing players rapidly.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#745 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

Good decision to extend the games life, but this just doesn't bode well with me as a subscriber. The whole point of being apart of an MMO is the fact that everyone is dropping the same money on the game. The better player is only based on time spent/rotation.

As long as the GTN doesn't include the use of real money, then I might be content with the game still. Though it would be fun to waste on some chumps come this fall.

#746 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Good decision to extend the games life, but this just doesn't bode well with me as a subscriber. The whole point of being apart of an MMO is the fact that everyone is dropping the same money on the game. The better player is only based on time spent/rotation.

As long as the GTN doesn't include the use of real money, then I might be content with the game still. Though it would be fun to waste on some chumps come this fall.

It looks like the stuff in the FTP store is gonna be convenience/cosmetic items. If the game becomes pay-to-win it will fail, and I'm pretty sure they aren't stupid enough to go in that direction.
Posted Image

#747 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

It looks like the stuff in the FTP store is gonna be convenience/cosmetic items. If the game becomes pay-to-win it will fail, and I'm pretty sure they aren't stupid enough to go in that direction.

Hahahah, I don't know. They were stupid enough to sink $200 million on voice acting.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#748 j-cart

j-cart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

The voice acting was an attempt to get non-MMO players into a MMO game. This freemium model that opens this fall might bring in those that are usual MMO players.

Either way, I just want details on what changes are going to be made in PvP.

#749 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

The voice acting was an attempt to get non-MMO players into a MMO game. This freemium model that opens this fall might bring in those that are usual MMO players.

Either way, I just want details on what changes are going to be made in PvP.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

You'll have a limit on your matches per week if you're a free player.
Posted Image

#750 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

You'll have a limit on your matches per week if you're a free player.

Now that's interesting. It could force people to do actual PvP in the world. Bah, who am I kidding: they'll quit or sub before getting ganked in world PvP.

As for endgame, if you're not paying, you're not playing. What a joke.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg