Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
782 replies to this topic

#181 testisbest

testisbest

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

So what do you guys think are the best crafting skills? I know, a very annoying question. But here's how I see it:

Armormech, Armstech, Artifice, and Synthweaving all have their benefits depending on which class you are. However, say you choose Synthweaving for your Sith Inquisitor. In most MMOs the top end game gear is not going to come from crafting. So then eventually the usefulness of any of the skills listed above will come to an end.

However, if you go with crafting skills like biochem or cybertech which craft consumables, there really is no point where you won't need these items anymore. And especially in PVP situations, these skills may be more beneficial.

What do you all think?

#182 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

So what do you guys think are the best crafting skills? I know, a very annoying question. But here's how I see it:

Armormech, Armstech, Artifice, and Synthweaving all have their benefits depending on which class you are. However, say you choose Synthweaving for your Sith Inquisitor. In most MMOs the top end game gear is not going to come from crafting. So then eventually the usefulness of any of the skills listed above will come to an end.

However, if you go with crafting skills like biochem or cybertech which craft consumables, there really is no point where you won't need these items anymore. And especially in PVP situations, these skills may be more beneficial.

What do you all think?

My favorite crafting skill in WoW is Engineering, and Cybertech seems like the closest to that in TOR, so I'm probably going to opt for that.
Posted Image

#183 AK85

AK85

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:39 PM

Regardless of where you purchase your copy, it has been confirmed that the beta client can be updated and patched to the retail version.

I just received an email from Bioware today saying that removal of the game testing client is needed before the install of the launch client can happen. Just a little something for everyone to keep in mind.

Posted Image

#184 halfbent

halfbent

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:28 AM

I just received an email from Bioware today saying that removal of the game testing client is needed before the install of the launch client can happen. Just a little something for everyone to keep in mind.

If you participated in the Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 25th and on) this is NOT true. You can keep your client for release.

http://www.swtor.com...89#edit11786689

#185 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:54 AM

Hopefully they'll put up the client a few days earlier than the early access period. I'd hate to spend the first day downloading and installing the game.
Posted Image

#186 AK85

AK85

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:01 AM

If you participated in the Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 25th and on) this is NOT true. You can keep your client for release.

http://www.swtor.com...89#edit11786689

Cool, I didn't want to have to download all the data again for that beta weekend after being in the weekend event 2 weeks before.

Posted Image

#187 steveinneed

steveinneed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

Anyone else preorder the collectors edition?
Posted Image

#188 Big St3ph3n

Big St3ph3n

Strange MUSIC!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

I had it preorded, prob gonna regret not keeping my preorder
Posted Image
NINTENDO ID: Bigst3ph3n
Part of THE MEDIOCRE NATION: THE MEDIOCRE SHOW
Twitter: @bigst3ph3n -- RIP 2pac, BIG and Sega Dreamcast.

#189 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

Had my collectors edition preordered from day 1, also have a regular edition I preordered a few weeks ago.

#190 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

I preordered the CE day 1 as well. Amazon didn't have release day shipping on it yet at that time, so I'm thinking about calling them to see if they can upgrade my order to it, but I'm worried they'll try cancelling the order and then re-placing it with that shipping option, only to discover they can't re-order it.

Perhaps it's just my paranoia, but I'm worried I'll get to play for 5 days, then have to stop until my copy arrives in the mail (Amazon estimates December 28th or something stupid like that right now).
Posted Image

#191 steveinneed

steveinneed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:23 AM

I preordered the CE day 1 as well. Amazon didn't have release day shipping on it yet at that time, so I'm thinking about calling them to see if they can upgrade my order to it, but I'm worried they'll try cancelling the order and then re-placing it with that shipping option, only to discover they can't re-order it.

Perhaps it's just my paranoia, but I'm worried I'll get to play for 5 days, then have to stop until my copy arrives in the mail (Amazon estimates December 28th or something stupid like that right now).

I canceled at Amazon for that reason. Immediately after canceling it was sold out and the only place that wasn't sold out was Walmart. So I have it coming Walmart but it won't be delivered till the 29th it says. If it is even delivered at all.

Got a scare when Walmart sent out cancelation notices for everyone only to find out it was a system error.
Posted Image

#192 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:53 AM

Don't know about yall but mine updated to release day delivery a long time ago, I do have Prime though.

#193 Big St3ph3n

Big St3ph3n

Strange MUSIC!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

So if i preorder on Origin, will i get charged the full price or will i just get charged the 5 dollars now?
Posted Image
NINTENDO ID: Bigst3ph3n
Part of THE MEDIOCRE NATION: THE MEDIOCRE SHOW
Twitter: @bigst3ph3n -- RIP 2pac, BIG and Sega Dreamcast.

#194 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

So is there any details on early game access? the client is about 20gb I think
Buying 2.5 Sata HDD and Amazon Gift Cards!
Posted Image

#195 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

You guys realize that pre-order codes will include a grace period to enter your key, right? Usually it's about a week before they cut you off because they realize that many orders are being shipped and not picked up at retail. Now, take this with a grain of salt because they've announced nothing official yet (AFAIK) but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#196 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

Wasn't it whoever reserved it first, gets to play early access first? I read it in swtor.com forums.
Buying 2.5 Sata HDD and Amazon Gift Cards!
Posted Image

#197 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

Wasn't it whoever reserved it first, gets to play early access first? I read it in swtor.com forums.

Nope, whoever entered their codes first will. I suspect they're sorting everyone out now and next week we'll get our start dates/client downloads.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#198 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

Yes, early access with be granted to players in waves working it's way from the first day of preorders to the current date.

#199 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

You guys realize that pre-order codes will include a grace period to enter your key, right? Usually it's about a week before they cut you off because they realize that many orders are being shipped and not picked up at retail. Now, take this with a grain of salt because they've announced nothing official yet (AFAIK) but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't.

This is what I believe as well. For some reason I feel like they eluded to this, but I don't think they came out and said it plainly. And I agree, if they don't do this then they're being really stupid and showing they don't give a shit about people who preordered physical copies.

#200 TwelveVolt

TwelveVolt

Nobody from Nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

You can download the client now from http://www.swtor.com/download

#201 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

Downloading it now. I'll probably contact customer support to see about the grace period as well. If I don't need to upgrade the shipping on my order, I'd prefer not to.

I also totally didn't expect early access to start on the 13th. 5 days (Hopefully) until I play!
Posted Image

#202 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

Fuck. They said previously it begins on the 15th and before they said that I was assuming the 13th. Now it's being retold as the 13th and I can't get out of my plans for the 13th and 14th. Bastards. I know I'll get in on the 13th because I preordered in the first hour available (Happened to wake up and notice it after preorders went live).

Edited by Draekon, 07 December 2011 - 11:58 PM.

#203 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:28 AM

Ya wish it would have been on the 15th as my finals are over on the 14th, hope this doesnt interfere with studying too much.

#204 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

Fuck. They said previously it begins on the 15th and before they said that I was assuming the 13th. Now it's being retold as the 13th and I can't get out of my plans for the 13th and 14th. Bastards. I know I'll get in on the 13th because I preordered in the first hour available (Happened to wake up and notice it after preorders went live).

I'm in the exact same boat. Way to give us a whopping six days advance notice FailWare. At first I thought it was a typo, but no -- they mention specifically up to seven days in the disclaimer. Do these droolers not realize people make plans for this?

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#205 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

It's not a big deal or anything, but definitely disappointing. I had requested taking off Christmas week before I even knew about early access or the release date. So I grabbed the two extra days since I have like three weeks of vacation piled up. I like beating the crowd in these games because of how ungodly terrible it can be starting at the same time as the crowd. It's like the B&M Black Friday of the online world. Terrible.

#206 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

It's not a big deal or anything, but definitely disappointing. I had requested taking off Christmas week before I even knew about early access or the release date. So I grabbed the two extra days since I have like three weeks of vacation piled up. I like beating the crowd in these games because of how ungodly terrible it can be starting at the same time as the crowd. It's like the B&M Black Friday of the online world. Terrible.

Our guild is hardcore though and if I lose even a day it will mean I'm behind on the grind. Hell, with seven days early access we could probably all be max level before the game officially starts. That's my goal anyway.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#207 TwelveVolt

TwelveVolt

Nobody from Nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

The thing that bugs me the most is that they originally said there would be a grace period for pre-orders. They backtracked on that and now if you don't input your key on the 20th, you will be cut off until you get the game.

I pre-ordered from Amazon, and their release-day delivery doesn't have the best track record.

#208 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

The thing that bugs me the most is that they originally said there would be a grace period for pre-orders. They backtracked on that and now if you don't input your key on the 20th, you will be cut off until you get the game.

I pre-ordered from Amazon, and their release-day delivery doesn't have the best track record.

OK, you're the second person I've heard say this but I can't find any source. They're going to have a shitstorm on their hands if they think this will fly.

Ah, I think I see it now. Their website is down for maintenance so much it's hard to get anything official from them.

There will be no ‘grace period’ post launch in which those who are in Early Game Access will be able to continue to play the game. In order to continue playing past the Early Game Access period, you will need to enter a valid launch game code and payment method.

Well, they'll have to handle the backlash from paying customers who can't play because it's in the mail. If you think about it, there's no possible way for people ordering online to not have downtime even with RDD. At least give people the entire day to redeem FFS. Very dumb move; hope this isn't an indication of things to come. . .

Edited by Jodou, 08 December 2011 - 06:53 PM.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#209 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

I have always gotten my games on release day, so I am not worried about it. I just won't be able to play for part of the day on Tuesday.

#210 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

OK, you're the second person I've heard say this but I can't find any source. They're going to have a shitstorm on their hands if they think this will fly.

Ah, I think I see it now. Their website is down for maintenance so much it's hard to get anything official from them.
Well, they'll have to handle the backlash from paying customers who can't play because it's in the mail. If you think about it, there's no possible way for people ordering online to not have downtime even with RDD. At least give people the entire day to redeem FFS. Very dumb move; hope this isn't an indication of things to come. . .

Yeah there was a post on the official forums where they said they were going to have a grace period but were looking into the details of how long they could make it and would get back to us. Since this is Christmas season and UPS doesn't like to drop shit off early to me anymore... I doubt I'll have it before 6PM that day. I had already planned ahead though as even though it's during my vacation, I'm doing an on-site visit to a client that day unless it gets rescheduled. I figure the servers will likely choke for 24 hours, so I don't want to sit there and do next to nothing. Granted it might not effect me depending on how much I play in the early access period.