Nintendo Investors want Mario on iPhone & Android

smiley241275

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I thought this was interesting and wanted to share. From the investor's perspective, it totally makes sense not to want exclusivity. I think it's inevitable that we'll eventually see almost everything go cross-platform. The question remains how long that will take, though. What do you guys think?

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/73817810/

I think that the LAST thing Nintendo needs to do is get mixed up in all the 99 cent garbage games that are flooding the smartphone markets.

[quote name='pippin']I think that the LAST thing Nintendo needs to do is get mixed up in all the 99 cent garbage games that are flooding the smartphone markets.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, then they couldn't charge $30 for shovelware on Wii. ZING!

Excellent idea. Devalue IP to the point that it competes with garbage like angry birds and gets lost in the 99 cent shit show. That will definitely make revenue soar.

[quote name='pippin']I think that the LAST thing Nintendo needs to do is get mixed up in all the 99 cent garbage games that are flooding the smartphone markets.[/QUOTE]

So nintendo making garbage already for 30-50 bucks now is ok? But selling it for 1 dollar isnt ok?

Honestly my love afair with nintendo ended a long time ago. They havent had a original idea in decades. Its the same old franchises done over and over and over and over again. Everyone hates activision for using the same old games but they love for nintendo pinch off a big steaming turd of pokemon or the new new new new new new super mario brothers in their gaping mouths.

For years now nintendo has only been making 1 dollar games, they just charge a premium for it.

The less said about the overwhelming amounts of pure shitware they let anyway with a royalty payment check in hand make for their systems the better.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Excellent idea. Devalue IP to the point that it competes with garbage like angry birds and gets lost in the 99 cent shit show. That will definitely make revenue soar.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Also, last I checked the iPhone does not have a d-pad or buttons and every single game that does those things with virtual controls sucks balls. Even though I kind of agree with gargus about Nintendo making the same games over and over again I hope they NEVER go multiplatform. Let them do their own thing.

I don't see why this is consider such a stretch... Nintendo relies heavily on re-releases, ports, and remakes and a lot of their Wii software (Wii Sports, Wii Play) could easily be split up into multiple pieces and sold on iOS/Android for 99 cents each.

This is precisely why I feel like mobile gaming is ruining the gaming industry. Investors and executives see an "untapped potential" in the mobile market but in reality these games end up being pretty crappy and don't sell. See Metal Gear Solid Touch, Madden, Mass Effect, etc. All had mobile spin-offs which more or less bombed because of crappy quality. Exactly like cochese mentioned, they just end up devaluing the franchises instead of bringing a new take on them.

People need to realize that not every mobile game is successful nor will every mobile game go gangbusters like Angry Birds.

I think the problem Nintendo has to contend with is the mindset of the consumers. The reality is, as some have said, that there are a lot of shovel-ware titles out there and everyone knows it. This goes for about any game system. Couple that with the fact that there is an ever-growing abundance of gaming options to choose from, along with a bad economy, and one has to at least consider changing their business strategy. It may not happen soon, but I think the market will eventually head that way. It's inevitable. People like choices and all in one devices.

We have seen it with the iPhone and Android (not entirely related to gaming, I agree). Nonetheless, one can't deny that appearing on multiple platforms increases the potential for sales. Of course, the additional problem is how much of a competitive advantage Nintendo loses in the long run for doing it.

It's not that I don't want more mario games, I just don't want to play mario games on the iPod. I am sorry but playing 99.9% of games for me on the iPod is horrible unresponsive and just fucking terrible to play. I NEED a d-pad and buttons.

Nintendo doesn't need to release fucking terrible ass games on the iPod. Hell any company should stop making dumbed down ports of bad games for the iPod.

Even if it's "Mario", I'm not sure how many sales Nintendo would get on iPhone for $34.99. Too many people's mentality would be that they can get over 35 quickie, casual games for that price. And "real" gamers already have Nintendo's game devices.

[quote name='Thomas96']I think it's a good idea. Nothing wrong with having virtual console games on other mobile hardwares.[/QUOTE]

except that they usually suck

[quote name='2DMention']I think it's a good idea and will save Nintendo. If they just stick to the 3DS, that isn't competitive.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand how Nintendo needs "saving"... They sold over a 100 mil. Wiis and the DS is on track to be the best selling system PERIOD. People act like they went bankrupt because the 3DS had a rough launch window. If Nintendo survived two gens of being last place, they can survive this. If worst came to worst, Nintendo would probably go Sega and start developing exclusive/perhaps multi-platform games for Sony or MS. Atleast then the games would be playable :lol:

I hope Nintendo doesn't turn out like Sega and just become a third party. The quality of Mario games will be like Sonic games then. :drool::hot:

That could happen if the investors push them to go multi-platform.

I don't understand how Nintendo needs "saving"... *snip*

*ahem* Game sales dropped recently when sales everywhere else on everything else is up. 3DS price drop, etc. etc.

bread's done
Back