• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:10 AM

UPDATE:
Sorry to bump this thread after so long, but I'm finally making progress on getting this PS3 fixed (I've managed to find the T10 screwdriver needed to open up the PS3!)

Now my question is: How do I tell if it's just the blu-ray Laser Lens that needs to be replaced, or if the entire blu-ray drive is faulty?

The PS3 no longer recognizes any disc-based media (DVDs, Blu-Rays, :ps3: games, etc.), but running demos/games/videos from the hard drive works fine. Thanks!

Edited by ragingst0rm6, 05 September 2011 - 12:24 AM.

Spoiler

#2 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

Sounds like what happened to me. Sometimes a bluray disc would start (game or movie) but it would freeze soon after, but PS2/DVD's worked fine.

I replaced mine and it solved the problem. Definitely get the brown clip version, even if it costs you a little more.

And there's no need for thermal paste if you're replacing the laser. It's really not hard to change out the laser, just follow a video on youtube. That's what I did.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#3 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

Complete 60gb PS3 laser assembly($79.95): http://store.richsps...l3laaskeke.html

Shipping is FREE from them.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#4 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:55 AM

thanks! I'm debating whether or not I should go for a "new" one from a non-eBay site (but not knowing whether I'll get a "white clip" or a "brown clip" or a "made-in-China chip"), or if I should go for a "manufacturer refurbished" one off eBay.

Also looking into SquareTrade Warranty info.

Spoiler

#5 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:59 AM

The white clips are a hassle. I would say get it from wherever can guarantee you that you'll get a brown clip. I didn't bother, which I regret. My first white clip one worked for a day or so before breaking, and then the second one wouldn't only read things on a bluray disc.

#6 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:20 AM

Sorry to bump this thread after so long, but I'm finally making progress on getting this PS3 fixed (I've managed to find the T10 screwdriver needed to open up the PS3!)

Now my question is: How do I tell if it's just the blu-ray Laser Lens that needs to be replaced, or if the entire blu-ray drive is faulty? Thanks!

Spoiler

#7 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:25 AM

Sounds like it's just the laser.

And you could have opened that screw with a flathead screwdriver if you found one the right size ;)

#8 Sindroam

Sindroam

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:37 AM

I have a very similar issue. PS2 games can be read without a problem. DVD's were played fine up until about last month. I was able to get one to work though, but I'm not sure if it's back to being normal, in regards to DVD's. PS3 games first started having trouble last year, Februrary, being read. I'm going to a local gameshop to fix it, with parts and labor, it'll be $120. They're replacing the entire lens or something. I don't want to risk trying to fix it myself.