Photo
- - - - -

Wii Redesign Inbound (Not coming to NA?)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:25 AM

Yeah, I'm surprised too.

http://www.officialn...fore-christmas/

- It's designed to sit horizontally

EDIT: Yup, no GameCube Backwards Compatibility
http://www.eurogamer...k-compatibility

EDIT 2: Europe Only?
http://www.destructo...ca-209130.phtml

Edited by KingBroly, 17 August 2011 - 06:29 PM.

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:42 AM

Interesting.

You would think that with the removal of GC support they would give the slimmed Wii another price cut.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#3 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

From the pictures it looks like they cut 3 inches off of it from the back.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#4 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

Posted Image

In case anyone was interested.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#5 RealDeals

RealDeals

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

This and that PSP with no wifi announced in the same day.... Damn I feel bad for you Europe :booty:

#6 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

This and that PSP with no wifi announced in the same day.... Damn I feel bad for you Europe :booty:

The difference between this and that is that there's no point for the PSP to lose wifi because it can interact with the PS Store and download some PSP games.

The thing out of this that I can't understand is WHY they're putting Wii Sports back in the box. Truly, truly baffling.

EDIT:
Also just found out they're going to release Wii Fit Plus with a Black Balance Board. I am confused as ever.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#7 RealDeals

RealDeals

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

The difference between this and that is that there's no point for the PSP to lose wifi because it can interact with the PS Store and download some PSP games.

The thing out of this that I can't understand is WHY they're putting Wii Sports back in the box. Truly, truly baffling.

EDIT:
Also just found out they're going to release Wii Fit Plus with a Black Balance Board. I am confused as ever.

This is actually worse than the wifi-less PSP. You can still connect to PSN through a PS3. The BC was a really cool feature on the Wii. No longer had to carry that purple lunchbox around to play GC games :lol:

#8 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

This is actually worse than the wifi-less PSP. You can still connect to PSN through a PS3. The BC was a really cool feature on the Wii. No longer had to carry that purple lunchbox around to play GC games :lol:

Wii still has wi-fi. The new PSP will have to rely on a secondary device in order to download games if people want them. Not everyone has a PS3, so you can't count on them to be able to download games that way, especially when some games can now only be gotten that way.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#9 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

White only? No price drop? No Japanese model confirmed?

Pass for now. I kept buying and selling Wii; did it three times. If I can snag a J-model of this in black for like $150-ish or a white for $100-ish I will bite. As of right now I was planning on WiiU being my last home console and was planning on playing nothing but Wii titles until the library picked up a bit but...I am getting antsy about Skyward Sword.

Closing thought: Fuck Wii Sports but I'll gladly snag all the Wii Sports Resorts stamps again.

edit: Any word on if this will reduce power consumption?

Edited by cochesecochese, 17 August 2011 - 04:14 PM.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#10 TimPV3

TimPV3

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

Wii still has wi-fi. The new PSP will have to rely on a secondary device in order to download games if people want them. Not everyone has a PS3, so you can't count on them to be able to download games that way, especially when some games can now only be gotten that way.

My first thought with the new PSP was the lack of multiplayer. It's going to be frustrating for some kid trying to turn on the wifi switch when there isn't one.

#11 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

Removing features, how Sony-ish.

#12 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

is there a price point for this?

Kamagii.png

#13 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:29 PM

Apparently it's not coming out in North America, which I find hard to believe.

CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#14 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:42 PM

Apparently it's not coming out in North America, which I find hard to believe.

Sounds like Nintendo gave a standard PR answer and destructoid took it as news

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#15 ebilcanival

ebilcanival

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

I don't understand what the big deal about it not coming to North America if the Wii U is coming soon and this one has less features then a standard Wii.

#16 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

I think it's PR speak. Notice they say 'Bundle' and not 'System' meaning we'll probably get an entirely new bundle that's not that.

Then again, NOA's PR just plain sucks, and has since Cammie left.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#17 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:25 AM

Did they really need to do a wii slim? And wtf...no gamecube support? No gamecube CONTROLLER support? I guess Nintendo is pissed off that they sold so many copies of Smash Bros Brawl, and would like people to stop buying them.
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#18 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:05 AM

Sure, why not? They're probably gonna sell another 10+ million for the console's life time so they might as well take out components that the majority of people really don't use and reduce production/shipping costs.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#19 david12795

david12795

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:11 AM

ill stick with my red wii :D
Tradelist
Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: 5155-4755-9214

#20 EdgeOfThorns

EdgeOfThorns

God of RPGs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

Yea no GC BC would be a killer for me, ill stick with my little white wii :p

#21 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

http://www.vooks.net...Australia-.html

Not coming to Australia, either. I. really don't get this now.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#22 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:06 PM

US is second tier now. This sucks.

#23 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

I think it's coming out everywhere, because I don't see the point in Nintendo have 2 production lines for Wii. My guess is the bundles will be different and there will be a silent change/announcement closer to launch.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#24 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

What is so special about this redesign? I can't tell from the pictures except what people here are saying that it is slimmer than the original Wii.

I'm still leaning towards the current Mario Kart Wii bundle at $135. Although, I feel that Wii Sports should be given away with every console since I've heard that it is just a tech demo of what the Wii can do. I don't think it is worth $20 new as a Nintendo Select or $10 used. Especially, when there are games like Zelda:Twilight Princess and Animal Crossing as part of the same Nintendo Select line up.

I have Fire Emblem on the Gamecube, there is supposedly a few extras from transferring save data from the Gamecube version to the Wii version of Fire Emblem via a Gamecube memory card.

I'm guessing this newer model will/should cost the same, $129.XX-$135.XX. If there are no significant improvements except for aesthetics/space saving, then I'll get the older model with Mario Kart.

#25 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Wii Sports is more than a tech demo and it is actually a very good game. In fact in Japan it was sold separately. If you want a tech demo look at Kinect Adventure

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#26 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:01 PM

Wii Sports is indeed a very good game. While the base content is very shallow, you'll play everything multiple times because it is somewhat addicting.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#27 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

What is so special about this redesign?

It's going to save Nintendo a lot of money. There was a lot of speculation on GAF that it will enable Nintendo to drop the Wii's price to less than $100 by the end of 2013 and keep it on store shelves along with WiiU. This would kind of be like how PS2 has stayed on shelves for years after PS3 released.

#28 Droenixjpn

Droenixjpn

The Waiting Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

It's going to save Nintendo a lot of money. There was a lot of speculation on GAF that it will enable Nintendo to drop the Wii's price to less than $100 by the end of 2013 and keep it on store shelves along with WiiU. This would kind of be like how PS2 has stayed on shelves for years after PS3 released.

So, could this mean that the WiiU won't be able to play Wii games? Or could Nintendo pull a Sony and make the PS3 not backwards compatible to play PS2 games after a couple of years?

I don't really see why anyone would want this, it loses features, just to be smaller and more cost-effective for Nintendo. Consumer loses again?

#29 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

No, because they've already said that Wii accessories (controllers) will be a main part of Wii U games, so they have to stay pretty much.

Also, Wii games are regular size unlike Gamecube games, which is a big cost component for the Wii.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#30 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

As soon as a company says something is not going to happen then it means its going to happen. I expect this system to be announced for the US by the holidays. Its an obvious push to get people to buy this before the Wii U comes out, by which time this console will be totally useless since Wii U is backwards compatible. I don't know why anyone would buy a downgraded system though unless the price was cut to like $50.