NFL Sunday Ticket Back for 2012 - Free for NFL STM Subs, $299.99 for Everybody Else

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/17/directv-and-playstation-bring-nfl-sunday-ticket-to-ps3/
Hello PlayStation Nation!

Are you ready for some football!

We are excited to announce that PlayStation has partnered with DIRECTV to bring its popular sports subscription service, NFL SUNDAY TICKET, to the PlayStation 3 game console. PlayStation owners across the country will now have the opportunity to watch every out-of-market Sunday game on their PS3.

How do you get in the game? At the start of the season, viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV will be able to subscribe to NFL SUNDAY TICKET at the season price of $339.95. Existing DIRECTV customers can access the service on their PS3 for an additional $50 and use the PS3 as an additional receiver for your home.

NFL SUNDAY TICKET is a DIRECTV-exclusive sports package that offers:

• Up to 14 NFL games every Sunday
  • Full HD for every football game
  • DIRECTV’s Red Zone Channel
We know that PlayStation fans are huge sports enthusiasts, so adding NFL SUNDAY TICKET is the perfect complement to the PS3’s rapidly growing lineup of sports entertainment, including MLB.TV and NHL GameCenter. We’ll have more info, including a video tutorial and sign up information on the blog shortly. I hope you’re as excited for the football season as we are.
I have to wonder how many people to put the $340 down for this when comparatively, the MLB service offers a ton more games for one-third of the cost.

340/16=$21.25.

Yeah I can spend less then each time that I go to a sports bar to see all the Eagles games. (not even counting taking out the nationally televised ones)

I don't have DirectTV and don't plan on paying almost $350 to watch the games. I cancelled my cable recently and switched to Hulu/Netflix/Antenna so this would have been nice had the option been much cheaper. Oh well.

Honestly, I would pay $21 per game rather than going to a sports bar. Wonder if this is a flat fee or monthly?

[quote name='lombarvm']Honestly, I would pay $21 per game rather than going to a sports bar. Wonder if this is a flat fee or monthly?[/QUOTE]
Read the OP:
How do you get in the game? At the start of the season, viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV will be able to subscribe to NFL SUNDAY TICKET at the season price of $339.95. Existing DIRECTV customers can access the service on their PS3 for an additional $50 and use the PS3 as an additional receiver for your home.

[quote name='vherub']Could be gameshared, or no?
so $68 a season is pretty reasonable[/QUOTE]

This what I want to know. It would be could if I could at least at halves with family member at a different household

[quote name='vherub']Could be gameshared, or no?
so $68 a season is pretty reasonable[/QUOTE]

Man gamesharing would be sweet but doubtful. $340 bucks is not a cheapassgamers price ;).

[quote name='thomas10451']Man gamesharing would be sweet but doubtful. $340 bucks is not a cheapassgamers price ;).[/QUOTE]

I have a crapload of gamestop credit that I could easily convert to psn cards if that were how this is going to be purchased. But I have a feeling the you will have to sign up through direct tv and just login on the ps3, similar to Netflix and Hulu.

Only the NFL could get away with charging 340 for a season pass. Football is after all the most popular sport in America. I'd never pay that much though. Just about all the games I'd ever want to see are played in my market (with the exception of 3-4 match ups). In any case, I could watch these games a few hrs later on the NFL network.

arkham city, battlefield 3 and uncharted 3 all come out during football season. i can safely say i wont be watching big dudes play smear the queer on my sundays.

[quote name='Sk']Only the NFL could get away with charging 340 for a season pass. Football is after all the most popular sport in America. I'd never pay that much though. Just about all the games I'd ever want to see are played in my market (with the exception of 3-4 match ups). In any case, I could watch these games a few hrs later on the NFL network.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think its the NFL that is charging that much. I think its more Direct TV charging all that money since they are the ones have the exclusive deal with the NFL Sunday Ticket

sunday ticket is at least becoming more accessible. I live in my team's home market now so no longer need it, but I would rather pay 350 bucks and keep cable then have to switch to direct tv(which used to be the only option).

I think NBA and MLB season tv passes are like 200 bucks, so there is a nice little price to pay for the exclusive agreement. Although, NFL is more popular then the other 2, so it would probably be a little more expensive anyways.

[quote name='caltab']sunday ticket is at least becoming more accessible. I live in my team's home market now so no longer need it, but I would rather pay 350 bucks and keep cable then have to switch to direct tv(which used to be the only option).

I think NBA and MLB season tv passes are like 200 bucks, so there is a nice little price to pay for the exclusive agreement. Although, NFL is more popular then the other 2, so it would probably be a little more expensive anyways.[/QUOTE]

Same here, Sunday Ticket is the same price even if you have a Direct TV subscription already so it's tempting since it wasn't previously available as I want to keep my cable. We love watching tons of games on Sundays and this may be worth it to my wife and I. I may be a cheapassgamer, but I don't have to be a cheapass when it comes to sports. MLB.TV costs $120/year and it's well worth it as we watch more games across the league than our home teams.

Going through a season of watching quality football and having the option to watch any other game besides a Raiders/Niners game on a Sunday morning/afternoon may well be worth the $340/season.

ya, I am surprised they are doing this. It's a real shift in strategy, I always thought their main goal for sunday ticket was to force people to get Direct TV. It seems like they are now viewing Sunday Ticket as a way to profit as its own product. They must feel like they've got about as many people as they could to switch over to direct tv using their old tactic and now just want to get as much cash as possible out of their exclusive contract. Maybe Direct TV will decide they no longer want to pay the price for exclusivity next time their renewal is up.

Hell No... I don't give a damn how that 340 looks divided up... 340 is too damn much. Its like they're penalizing customers for not being DTV subscribers. What this deal does, is at least make people think about subscribing to DTV so that they can get the package for 50 dollars and then have the PS3 as an extra receiver. Its a good time to switch if you think of it like that. The 340 price is rediculous; but again, I believe its designed that way, in order to get people to switch. imo

Makes me wonder if Sony had this to announce since E3 but couldn't because of the lockout. I imagine it's significant enough that it would get good press there

And no one should blame Sony for the $340 price. That is all DirectTV's doing.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Makes me wonder if Sony had this to announce since E3 but couldn't because of the lockout. I imagine it's significant enough that it would get good press there

And no one should blame Sony for the $340 price. That is all DirectTV's doing.[/QUOTE]

This. I can't wait till there deal with the NFL is over. I just hope the NFL doesn't renew with Direct TV again

[quote name='Thomas96']Hell No... I don't give a damn how that 340 looks divided up... 340 is too damn much. Its like they're penalizing customers for not being DTV subscribers. What this deal does, is at least make people think about subscribing to DTV so that they can get the package for 50 dollars and then have the PS3 as an extra receiver. Its a good time to switch if you think of it like that. The 340 price is rediculous; but again, I believe its designed that way, in order to get people to switch. imo[/QUOTE]

If you are an existing direct tv customer it costs 335 for sunday ticket. The 50 dollar price for existing customers is in addition to whatever they already pay for Sunday Ticket-all the Ps3 will do for people who already have direct TV is give them an additional box to watch it from.

IF you arent and existing customer they always have deals, but those deals are temporary. Right now, new customers can get sunday ticket for free, but I am not sure if that is for longer then the first year. Unlike cable, Direct TV requires a contract, I think 2 years, so the temporary deals aren't so great over the long haul.

Sure 340 bucks is a lot, but I would rather pay that price and keep cable and not get locked into a long term contract with a service I do not want. This is a very positive move for NFL fans IMO. I believe its the first time we have access to sunday ticket without having to switch to satellite. As I said earlier, I am really surprised Direct TV is no longer chaining sunday ticket to their long term satellite contracts.

Why can't they just make a package for one team? Paying 300+ for 32 teams where you'll probably won't even watch half of them is stupid.

Frisky, do you know if the $50 is for all DirectTV customers? As in people who don't subscribe to Sunday Ticket already could get it on their PS3 for $50? Some in the VG deals section are saying that's on top of the subscription to Sunday Ticket, but that doesn't make sense when Sony goes on to say that existing Sunday Ticket members can access it for no additional charge.

edit: Okay the current interpreation I'm getting is the $50 is just to use the PS3 as an additional receiver and has nothing at all to do with Sunday Ticket specifically. Sunday Ticket subscribers can access the games through the PS3 but cannot use the PS3 as a DVR receiver, unless they pay the $50 fee. It's written pretty vaguely on the Blog so it's causing a lot of confusion on various forums/news sites I go to. Sony has also removed the $50 wording from the main article (you can see it in the preview still from the main blog page)

Last edited by a moderator:
Common sense and the "additional $50" wording tells me that you need a sub to NFL Sunday Ticket first if you're already a DirecTV subscriber and the $50 lets you watch those games on the PS3.

I don't know why there would be a deal thread for this since it's not a deal. This is full price and the deals forum isn't for news.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Common sense and the "additional $50" wording tells me that you need a sub to NFL Sunday Ticket first if you're already a DirecTV subscriber and the $50 lets you watch those games on the PS3.

I don't know why there would be a deal thread for this since it's not a deal. This is full price and the deals forum isn't for news.[/QUOTE]

I would say in addition to Sunday Ticket too as I'd be surprised if they gave all DirecTV customers access for just $50, BUT they edited the blog post after you made this thread to add:

"Existing DIRECTV customers who already have NFL SUNDAY TICKET and NFL SUNDAY TICKET To-Go through DIRECTV can access the service on their PS3 for no additional charge."

So the $50 isn't just for existing Ticket members to access the games since that's apparently free. They've also removed the $50 part from the main article btw. A deal thread wasn't made about this, it's in the PS3 price drop thread currently.

The $50 part is still there. I don't see how they'd offer NFL Sunday Ticket to DirecTV customers for $50 while those that forked over the $335 before this was announced get screwed over.

It does say "AND NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go," which is apparently a service that lets its subscribers stream games on the PC and phones. So the free part is an extension of NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go. If you don't have that but do have the normal season sub, it's $50 to enable streaming on the PS3, which seems to be the cost of To-Go anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nfl_sunday_ticket#Extra_features

[quote name='caltab']If you are an existing direct tv customer it costs 335 for sunday ticket. The 50 dollar price for existing customers is in addition to whatever they already pay for Sunday Ticket-all the Ps3 will do for people who already have direct TV is give them an additional box to watch it from.

IF you arent and existing customer they always have deals, but those deals are temporary. Right now, new customers can get sunday ticket for free, but I am not sure if that is for longer then the first year. Unlike cable, Direct TV requires a contract, I think 2 years, so the temporary deals aren't so great over the long haul.

Sure 340 bucks is a lot, but I would rather pay that price and keep cable and not get locked into a long term contract with a service I do not want. This is a very positive move for NFL fans IMO. I believe its the first time we have access to sunday ticket without having to switch to satellite. As I said earlier, I am really surprised Direct TV is no longer chaining sunday ticket to their long term satellite contracts.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. I had no idea that the Sunday Ticket was so expensive. For me 340 is too steep. But if you want that service then hell yeah, this is a great opportunity because like you mentioned, you don't have to swtich over to DTV just to get the ticket. This is good for DTV because I'm sure there's a lot of NFL fans who would love to have that NFL ticket, but don't want to switch to satellite. But you know DTV has a lot of customers who might want to opt out of their packages if they only signed up for the NFL Sunday Ticket service, now that its available outside of DTV.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']Why can't they just make a package for one team? Paying 300+ for 32 teams where you'll probably won't even watch half of them is stupid.[/QUOTE]

That's what I want, a 1 team package.

I don't understand paying for all the games when they pretty much are all on at the same time anyways. It would be different if it was 2 games a day 7 days a week and you could watch them all.

[quote name='Thomas96']That makes sense. I had no idea that the Sunday Ticket was so expensive. For me 340 is too steep. But if you want that service then hell yeah, this is a great opportunity because like you mentioned, you don't have to swtich over to DTV just to get the ticket. This is good for DTV because I'm sure there's a lot of NFL fans who would love to have that NFL ticket, but don't want to switch to satellite. But you know DTV has a lot of customers who might want to opt out of their packages if they only signed up for the NFL Sunday Ticket service, now that its available outside of DTV.[/QUOTE]
Which is better for them in the long run because they just get paid for the stream, which is low maintenance for the most part. They won't have to deal with sending out workers and hardware to customers and all of the costs associated with that part of the business.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Which is better for them in the long run because they just get paid for the stream, which is low maintenance for the most part. They won't have to deal with sending out workers and hardware to customers and all of the costs associated with that part of the business.[/QUOTE]

Direct tv pays 1 billion a year for the exclusive rights to NFL. 340 bucks is a drop in the bucket compared to forcing you into a 2 year satellite contract worth a few thousand dollars(and will likely keep you as a customer for years to come). There is absolutely no way it is better for them in the long run for you to opt for the ps3 deal over signing a satellite contract. But I guess they are realizing NFL Sunday ticket isn't enough to convert some people over to satellite and are trying to get whatever money they can out of Sunday ticket.

Have we figured out if we can pay for this with PSN points? I mean, you can find those for 10-20% off sometimes, plus being able to use GS credit to pay for this would make it seem cheaper.

Trapped in St. Louis for another NFL season would make it more bearable if I could get an out of market game, but 350 bucks for what would amount to watching 1 extra game on probably 6 or 7 sundays is not worth it unless I can pay with PSN points.

This is really only for hardcore NFL fans not homers that only watch games for one team. For the true fans of the game this is a good price.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Makes me wonder if Sony had this to announce since E3 but couldn't because of the lockout. I imagine it's significant enough that it would get good press there

And no one should blame Sony for the $340 price. That is all DirectTV's doing.[/QUOTE]

The NFL sold the exclusive rights to DirectTv for like $1B a year, and I believe we are currently in the 2nd exclusive contract with DirectTV. So the NFL knows exactly what DirectTV is doing and encourages it, because they get $1B a year so they don't care what the customer is charged.

[quote name='caltab']sunday ticket is at least becoming more accessible. I live in my team's home market now so no longer need it, but I would rather pay 350 bucks and keep cable then have to switch to direct tv(which used to be the only option).

I think NBA and MLB season tv passes are like 200 bucks, so there is a nice little price to pay for the exclusive agreement. Although, NFL is more popular then the other 2, so it would probably be a little more expensive anyways.[/QUOTE]

It is not becoming more accessible. Read the fine print.

"viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV"

So you do not have the option to keep cable and buy Sunday Ticket for $340, UNLESS you can prove that DirectTV is not an option for you. If you can get a DTV signal at your house, you must become a subscriber to get Sunday Ticket. I know because the mobile to go language is similar and I can't get that.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']It is not becoming more accessible. Read the fine print.

"viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV"

So you do not have the option to keep cable and buy Sunday Ticket for $340, UNLESS you can prove that DirectTV is not an option for you. If you can get a DTV signal at your house, you must become a subscriber to get Sunday Ticket. I know because the mobile to go language is similar and I can't get that.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, you are right. I didn't read the actual announcement just 3rd party coverage of it and they all didn't pick up on that(and its not even in the fine print, it's stated in the announcement). I also have experience with the mobile to go one that uses the same language. So basically there is nothing to see here. In order to be eligible for this you have to be in an area that cannot get direct tv, which are few and faw between seeing as it is satellite. You seem to be the only person, including multiple media sources, to spot this. The announcement is subtle about this, but it is the exact same language they use for the Internet version, so I am pretty sure you are right.

[quote name='caltab']Direct tv pays 1 billion a year for the exclusive rights to NFL. 340 bucks is a drop in the bucket compared to forcing you into a 2 year satellite contract worth a few thousand dollars(and will likely keep you as a customer for years to come). There is absolutely no way it is better for them in the long run for you to opt for the ps3 deal over signing a satellite contract. But I guess they are realizing NFL Sunday ticket isn't enough to convert some people over to satellite and are trying to get whatever money they can out of Sunday ticket.[/QUOTE]
They'll get plenty of subs from people that would never sign up for DirecTV, which is why it's much, much better for them to open up the service to non-subscribers and get some money out of them then nothing. Having next to no costs associated with those that sign up for NFL ST on the PS3 beyond just the streaming itself is big for them financially and Sony.

^as smallshark just pointed out, the ability to get ps3 Sunday ticket without already being a direct tv subscriber is only available to people who are in an area of the country that cannot get direct tv. There are very very few areas that you cannot get direct tv. I believe New York City is one market where this applies because there are issues with satellite signals there. Other than that, I don't know of any other place that would qualify. Very few people will be able to use this feature without already paying for direct TV.

I would LOVE this, but I basically get the LIONS every Sunday anyways with normal cable. They tend to sell out everygame anyways, if with the past performance.

Does Sunday ticket have any BLACKOUT issues? I know MLB will blackout games with the MLB package (I think)

That would be a bad business decision that makes the entire announcement very questionable if it only applies to current DirecTV subscribers, though my interpretation was that that meant anybody not currently subscribed with them. There's no reason to even offer the $340 option if nobody can do that, so this would just be a NFL ST To-Go offer.

[quote name='doubledown']I would LOVE this, but I basically get the LIONS every Sunday anyways with normal cable. They tend to sell out everygame anyways, if with the past performance.

Does Sunday ticket have any BLACKOUT issues? I know MLB will blackout games with the MLB package (I think)[/QUOTE]
The Wikipedia article I linked to earlier explains that part of the service:

If a game the viewer wishes to watch is blacked out in their home market because it's not sold out, the game remains blacked out on NFL Sunday Ticket. Any other game televised locally is also blacked out. (viewers must watch them instead on their local FOX or CBS affiliates)[8] Games joined or switched away from in progress usually have their blackout status altered immediately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nfl_sunday_ticket#Blackouts

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That would be a bad business decision that makes the entire announcement very questionable if it only applies to current DirecTV subscribers, though my interpretation was that that meant anybody not currently subscribed with them. There's no reason to even offer the $340 option if nobody can do that, so this would just be a NFL ST To-Go offer.[/QUOTE]

The language, "viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV" is the exact same language that they used for their internet offering. In order to get the internet version without direct tv you had to prove to them you were in an area that did not have access to direct tv. Like smallshark, I actually tried getting the mobile version in the past and was told I was not eligible without subscribing to direct tv because of my location. I believe the press release has widely been misreported and is actually consistent with their old policies. I would love to be wrong though.

[quote name='caltab']The language, "viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV" is the exact same language that they used for their internet offering. In order to get the internet version without direct tv you had to prove to them you were in an area that did not have access to direct tv. Like smallshark, I actually tried getting the mobile version in the past and was told I was not eligible without subscribing to direct tv because of my location. I believe the press release has widely been misreported and is actually consistent with their old policies. I would love to be wrong though.[/QUOTE]
Misreported because it's not explained well at all in the announcement. If you need to have deep knowledge of their policies to understand their particular meaning with those phrases, most of the people excited by the $340 option would have no clue that it's a worthless option. Being obsessed with having everybody that's interested in just the NFL ST service become a DirecTV subscriber sounds like the big issue with the entire service when it could've been a big revenue stream that they didn't have before.

[quote name='caltab']The language, "viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV" is the exact same language that they used for their internet offering. In order to get the internet version without direct tv you had to prove to them you were in an area that did not have access to direct tv. Like smallshark, I actually tried getting the mobile version in the past and was told I was not eligible without subscribing to direct tv because of my location. I believe the press release has widely been misreported and is actually consistent with their old policies. I would love to be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

I would say that I don't have access to it because I don't have a dish. Having access to something is different than having it available. You could argue if you live in an apartment, rent a house, have trees that would block the dish or any number of things to prevent access. Sure it may be available in your area but it's not accessible to you.

Their core business is selling satellite service, not sunday ticket. Sunday ticket has always been one of their biggest ways to get people to sign up for direct tv. If they made sunday ticket widely available independent of direct tv they could lose a ton of current and potential customers.

Also, I direct tv was just sued by comcast over the way they advertise Sunday ticket as "Free".

[quote name='iwannadie']I would say that I don't have access to it because I don't have a dish. Having access to something is different than having it available. You could argue if you live in an apartment, rent a house, have trees that would block the dish or any number of things to prevent access. Sure it may be available in your area but it's not accessible to you.[/QUOTE]

Hey man, I'd love for it to be as simple as not having a satellite dish, but I am telling you that has not been their policy in the past. I don't know about the apartment argument, I think that actually might work.

Their core business is selling satellite service, not sunday ticket. Sunday ticket has always been one of their biggest ways to get people to sign up for direct tv. If they made sunday ticket widely available independent of direct tv they could lose a ton of current and potential customers that sign hefty contracts that are worth far more then the price of sunday ticket.

Also, I direct tv was just sued by comcast over the way they advertise Sunday ticket as Free.

[quote name='caltab']Hey man, I'd love for it to be as simple as not having a satellite dish, but I am telling you that has not been their policy in the past. I don't know about the apartment argument, I think that actually might work.

Their core business is selling satellite service, not sunday ticket. Sunday ticket has always been one of their biggest ways to get people to sign up for direct tv. If they made sunday ticket widely available independent of direct tv they could lose a ton of current and potential customers that sign hefty contracts that are worth far more then the price of sunday ticket.

Also, I direct tv was just sued by comcast over the way they advertise Sunday ticket as Free.[/QUOTE]

The apartment/rental home argument could work. But a landlord cannot ban a dish from a lessee they can only limit where a dish is placed. This is a FCC rule to allow Satellite companies to compete with cable better. So my guess is they will want you to have in writing where you are legally allowed to put a dish, then they will come out and see if they can get a signal. If they can, you'll be out of luck with that argument. I could see them forgoing this in a place like New York where they know they can't get a signal because your on the 3rd floor surrounded by skyscrapers.

The tree one could work as well, but I think that one would be much harder. DTV will mount their dishes on your house, on poles, and can use tons of cabling from the dish to get your signal to your house. So again, I think they would want to come out and literally if they can find a signal from anywhere on your property (regardless if you wanted the dish there) I'd think they would say you can access it.

I had DTV at one point so I'm pretty sure I'm excluded :). But they utilize things like the Sunday Ticket to jack their prices. After the initial year period at both DTV and Dish (what I have now) I'm saving $15 a month with Dish and the packages are very similar in content. I got DTV thinking I could get Sunday Ticket since I'm dislocated from my teams viewing area but could never justify the cost of getting it. Plus their one year discounts are pretty good deals. It's just too bad their price increases so much after the "new customer" period.

Side note, I saw all these people online claiming they talked DTV down on Sunday Ticket to $190 or less. So I'm out of contract and threatening to leave and we are in game 8 of the season. I'm thinking I can use this as leverage to get a good deal on Sunday Ticket and keep DTV for a while. LOL big time. They wouldn't give it to me for less than $230, so I said goodbye. Their whole argument was that the people that paid $329 (I think) for 17 weeks or $19.35 a game were going to get a better deal than me because they got on the subscription early and that was their "best price" offer. So $230/9 games or $25.56 was as good as they could do for me. This is a reasonable argument, until you look at the fact that the last person in always gets the best satellite deal. All of their deals are for "new customers", not existing customers. Just thought it was ironic. Just like all their loyal Sunday Ticket subscribers are paying $329 for Sunday Ticket, while all new customers get it for free. Yep, those people that got in early and support your business definitely get the best deal.

The Sunday Ticket for Free is misleading as well. The fine print clearly says it is free for one year, they should say that in the ads they are running. Not surprised Comcast is suing since they are probably losing customers, but I could see this as a class action suit later as well. Probably tons of people signing up because Sunday Ticket is "Free" with DTV subscribership (or so the ads say) and come year two they have to fork over a bunch of cash to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...what if I have a friend with DirecTV & the NFL Ticket - can I pay the $50 to authorize my PS3 through his account?

bread's done
Back