$100 16gig HP tablet sale at BestBuy and Futureshop

dancrane212

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
A friend texted me a hour or two ago with this. Looks like it's best to try an instore pickup seeing as they are apparently flying out of the stores.

16 gig $100

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=24aa74e36d1cba4ce76fdd5a9f3298cfen02
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=24aa74e36d1cba4ce76fdd5a9f3298cfen02

There is also a 32 gig model for $50 more

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=829d6cee4d5f97f84985cc701b4fc4c9en02
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=ae9808ef28470c2c58068674931981dfen02

I haven't seen any in depths reviews and looking at the clock I don't really have time to go dancing around (work at 7) looking for any. :drool: It has some positive buzz on the Futureshop page though.

Thanks OP. That's $300+ worth of hardware for $100. You can barely get a black and white e-reader for that price.

Picked one up for the wife. Surfs the web, plays video better than my iPod Touch and has a nifty Facebook app. Has a kindle beta app too.

Well, well worth $100 IMHO.

Oh my! Thanks for the tip! I hope I can find one tomorrow. I'm going on vacation in October and I want to bring a netbook or tablet with me. I have been eyeing ASUS Transformer, but since it's been revealed that Transformer 2 was delayed from August to October (or beyond), I'll just get this thing while I wait for Transformer 2.

What kind of software do these things support? Someone said the OS is called WebOS, never heard of it. I'd want to run a freeware comic reader on it that's made for Windows, probably not possible right?

I'm using one right now, picked it up from FS after reading about it at RFD... They only had the 32GB left, as the employees proudly declared scooping all the 16GB for themselves. Same with BB & The Source, they were very pleased with themselves about snatching up all the stock.

Typing this post up is a bit awkward on this thing.... Maybe I'll figure it out..

What kind of software can it run, or can you only use the built in features? I'm seeing a few FS stores saying it's in stock, outside of the city though.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']What kind of software do these things support? Someone said the OS is called WebOS, never heard of it. I'd want to run a freeware comic reader on it that's made for Windows, probably not possible right?[/QUOTE]

Windows 7 is not possible. You can't update the software, and the specs are not enough to have it running optimally. What you get is what you get. There will be no support for bugs or issues. It's a dead product.

WebOS is like Linux.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Eeh, ignore my comments, have decided to pass on the Touchpad.[/QUOTE]

Same here. At first I thought it was the HP Slate and I was like what!?

But it's slow, clunky, and sometimes unresponsive. Some of this could be easily corrected with a firmware update, but this now won't happen. Worthless.

[quote name='collector42']Thanks OP. That's $300+ worth of hardware for $100. You can barely get a black and white e-reader for that price.

Picked one up for the wife. Surfs the web, plays video better than my iPod Touch and has a nifty Facebook app. Has a kindle beta app too.

Well, well worth $100 IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Well, if someone finds value...

Most of this could be achieved with a regular desktop, laptop, or smartphone. It's not even 3G which makes on the go e-mail worthless. If you're using this at home, then it's pointless.

WebOS = no thank you. That's just the new version of PalmOS, which stopped being relevant years ago. Great as an eReader I'm sure, especially for that price. Don't expect much more though.

Just waiting for the Blackberry Playbook to drop in price, pretty soon RIM will realize it's overpriced compared to everything else out there.

People don't look at what they're actually buying these days. They're more concerned with "getting a deal" than actually getting a product they want.

[quote name='AftComet']Well, if someone finds value...

Most of this could be achieved with a regular desktop, laptop, or smartphone. It's not even 3G which makes on the go e-mail worthless. If you're using this at home, then it's pointless.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with the examples you've provided. You're comparing apples to oranges. It's like saying you don't need a cell phone because you can make calls from your desktop using voip. Ummm. Yah, I guess you could, but these product classes serve different purposes.

And as for price--show me a $100 desktop. Or a $100 laptop. Or even a $100 (non contract subsidized) smartphone.

LG Optimus One maybe? I've got one. Love it for all that it is. Active community of developers for it, but the screen is...bad. Unresponsive, low res and small.

You can't buy a Nook Color for this price!

If all you're looking to do with it is email and surf the web (I'm seldom outside the boundaries of an accessible wi-fi network) then this is a great deal--as evidenced by the fact it sold out in many locations in literally five minutes.

I'm not trying to convince you that there's value to be had--I can completely understand why someone *wouldn't* want one; I just wanted to share why I see value in it. Good luck to any of you who are trying to track one down!

:)

I managed to pick up a 32GB at Best Buy this morning. They were sold out in minutes.

It would be nice if down the road someone managed to get another OS to run on these tablets, but at worst this is a nice portable portfolio for me. :)

[quote name='collector42']I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with the examples you've provided. You're comparing apples to oranges. It's like saying you don't need a cell phone because you can make calls from your desktop using voip. Ummm. Yah, I guess you could, but these product classes serve different purposes.

And as for price--show me a $100 desktop. Or a $100 laptop. Or even a $100 (non contract subsidized) smartphone.

LG Optimus One maybe? I've got one. Love it for all that it is. Active community of developers for it, but the screen is...bad. Unresponsive, low res and small.

You can't buy a Nook Color for this price!

If all you're looking to do with it is email and surf the web (I'm seldom outside the boundaries of an accessible wi-fi network) then this is a great deal--as evidenced by the fact it sold out in many locations in literally five minutes.

I'm not trying to convince you that there's value to be had--I can completely understand why someone *wouldn't* want one; I just wanted to share why I see value in it. Good luck to any of you who are trying to track one down!

:)[/QUOTE]

Well to each his own I suppose. I'm rarely near an open WiFi unless I'm at home so it doesn't make sense to me. But I'm glad that you find it useful.

Here's hoping someone hacks it be able to run Android. That would make it 10x better.

[quote name='AftComet']Here's hoping someone hacks it be able to run Android. That would make it 10x better.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! :)

I 2nd darkandlongs request for myself (in Edmonton).

For the price this would be perfect for my wife since she wouldn't use it beyond it's base features. I noticed that entire pallets of these vanished overnight (like at Costco).
Some stores in Edmonton claimed to have stock last night at 1 am only to see that same stock vanish overnight before the stores even opened.

Well reading around I found at at the NCIX forums that retailers are sending their stock back to HP. So it's not just selling out it's being pulled and returned.

Any chance of that stock selling directly from HP's website....doubtful. It will all end up in a landfill in China.

pretty sure hp is going to be selling them from website on monday as you can see from link above price hasnt changed in cart on them yet, I went looking today and it was sold out super early i live in a pretty small city too so was surprised when i went in first store at 8am to find other people looking for them and to find stock at store opening at a few stores gone before the doors even opened...

must have been my compulisve side as i really dont need one of these as i have 3 computers already but travel a fair amount so it would take up less room in my luggage for surfing web and checking emails in hotels/camps.

if the numbers are right from different web sources there should be a ton available to buy nevermind models they havent even released yet...just gotta wait if can only get from hp or a restock to suppliers that seem to have employees hoard them all where i live anyway.

It just feels like a "dirty gentlemen's agreement" where major retailers like Best Buy don't *want* to sell the Touchpad cheap, to flood & damage the market would hurt all sellers as well as the tablet makers. I'm not sure what hp gets out of just dumping their product, though... You'd think they'd find some discount wholesaler to get something back. Maybe there'll be a flood of them at Costcos in 6 months?

[quote name='AftComet']They're not selling it.[/QUOTE]

They will still let you buy the 32GB at full price--most likely to be adjusted on monday.

Just a heads up for anyone interested; WebOS has an app called ComicShelf that lets you read .cbr and .cbz files to read comic books. I just put 80 issues of The Walking Dead on mine and they look fantastic. I believe the developer is from Winnipeg, in fact.
I'm loving my 32GB. It's terrific for web browsing, reading comics and books, and it's got a nice display for art and video. As far as I'm concerned, this thing is a steal if you can find one, providing you don't have your heart set on piles of great apps (particularly games, although Angry Birds HD is free).

[quote name='Aquablak']Just a heads up for anyone interested; WebOS has an app called ComicShelf that lets you read .cbr and .cbz files to read comic books. I just put 80 issues of The Walking Dead on mine and they look fantastic. I believe the developer is from Winnipeg, in fact.
I'm loving my 32GB. It's terrific for web browsing, reading comics and books, and it's got a nice display for art and video. As far as I'm concerned, this thing is a steal if you can find one, providing you don't have your heart set on piles of great apps (particularly games, although Angry Birds HD is free).[/QUOTE]

Okay NOW I'm interested.

[quote name='collector42']They will still let you buy the 32GB at full price--most likely to be adjusted on monday.[/QUOTE]

Ordered one. Hope they price match.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Ooh man the reason I would have bought one is for comics. Too late now I guess.[/QUOTE]

You don't know that. Perhaps you can still buy from them direct, as collector42 suggests, and AftComet has done. It's worth a shot.

I wonder if you can return them if the price doesn't go down and the device remains unopened... Surely by the time you receive it you'll have an idea of what they're doing with their stock and prices.

Yay! I picked up a 32 GB model from Future Shop in Guelph this morning They had 6 of them. An employee snagged one, and the other 5 went to the 5 of us in line as the store opened.

I checked the online stock checker a few times this morning and everywhere was out of stock, and then the status changed around 9:30 AM showing as 'in-stock' at my local Future Shop. Keep checking! Maybe they will still get more in around the country over the next little while.

I clicked on "Buy now from HP" but it's not loading, just says Connecting. I'm concerned about ordering online and getting a dead pixel or something, don't know if they would replace it.

Hmm, thought about it some more. I would buy the 16GB one if I could get the page to load and knew it wouldn't have any screen defects, but I can't do either so will pass on it. So tempting at that price! Good luck to everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the page to load on the HP website, but it's showing the old prices. I tried adding to cart to see if that would do anything, but got the server too busy again. Hooray!

After failing to find one at retail on Friday, I've been going crazy trying to find a couple of these today online.

I think I'm getting near the "I give up" point.

I personally hadn't, no. I haven't been in a position where I'd be able to be on hold for as long as some folks have reported.

bread's done
Back