Photo
- - - - -

XBLA - Sonic CD - 400 Points - Now Available!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

It does not, but I think it's fair to say it isn't confirmed the American soundtrack isn't included-- hopefully an oversight in the press release. Still you'd think they'd mention it if dual soundtracks if it was going to be a feature... I'm still crossing my fingers. PAX is going on this weekend so we will get speedy confirmation on Sonic Retro I think.
My name there is FriendofSonic, or it has spaces like it does here. Can't remember. Good luck with Chris! I think he will agree-- he seems pretty down to earth. The only thing preventing it I'd see is that he may be in some sort of NDA that won't allow him to talk about the engine he most likely has no ownership of anymore.

Edited by Friend of Sonic, 26 August 2011 - 05:17 PM.

You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#32 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

I'll be disappointed if it's Japanese soundtrack only.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#33 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Yeah... same here. The thing is, one really isn't any better than the other. They're both really odd soundtracks that don't really fit Sonic games from that era, so I pretty much like them both equally. But it's been years and years since I've listened to the JP tracks, so I'll be excited to have that for my playthrough.

#34 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

One is the soundtrack that the people who made the game thought fit it best. The other is the new music that somebody who didn't make the game and didn't like techno came up with. It's like dubbing the film into a new language - the new dub doesn't become the proper, original track. Both soundtracks would definitely be the best way to please everybody, but if they're only going with one, it needs to be the original IMO.

Edited by eastx, 27 August 2011 - 03:16 AM.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#35 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:27 AM

Oh, I completely understand that-- it's fantastic that we're actually getting a release of Sonic CD with the 'proper' soundtrack.
In fact, in the final prototype of the game, 920, the US version was still using the Japanese soundtrack. It was really a last minute decision to have Spencer Nielsen compose the soundtrack. I definitely understand your point, but I was just making a critical assessment of both soundtracks-- neither of them are particularly the better and most fitting soundtrack, IMO, which is always why is confuses me when people rage about the US soundtrack. I guess the fact the original soundtrack got replace is enough of a reason to complain, I suppose. But I digress.

An Early report from a few Sonic Retro-ers at PAX say the demo is fantastic. Still waiting on more details.

#36 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:10 AM

Someone from Pax reported:
-Japanese soundtrack only because of licensing issues. But they know the fans would love it, so they're looking at solutions.
- Taxman told to shut his mouth about features, namely the Sonic 2 spindash/physics because it could be removed if it's found to break the game at all
- Sega is retconning Sonic CD to take place immediately after Sonic 3 and Knuckles, because the developers originally never set a specific time for Sonic CD's events. So, truly a "prequel" to Sonic 4.

#37 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:45 AM

Someone from Pax reported:
-Japanese soundtrack only because of licensing issues. But they know the fans would love it, so they're looking at solutions.
- Taxman told to shut his mouth about features, namely the Sonic 2 spindash/physics because it could be removed if it's found to break the game at all
- Sega is retconning Sonic CD to take place immediately after Sonic 3 and Knuckles, because the developers originally never set a specific time for Sonic CD's events. So, truly a "prequel" to Sonic 4.

Very interesting about the reconning stuff. I wondered wth they meant in the trailer about "how it all began" or whatever. I'm like...just release the friggin game, don't dick around with it and whatever they do, don't mess with a second of that opening trailer. I gotta hear some Sonic Boooooooooom!
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~

#38 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:53 AM

Very interesting about the reconning stuff. I wondered wth they meant in the trailer about "how it all began" or whatever. I'm like...just release the friggin game, don't dick around with it and whatever they do, don't mess with a second of that opening trailer. I gotta hear some Sonic Boooooooooom!

Yep, they plan on doing a trailer for Episode II that ties Sonic CD into it.

Haha yeah, that opening cinematic is one of the high points of my Sonic memories of when I was a kid. I wish we had more Sonic anime from the 90s, because I love how it was styled.

#39 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:42 AM

A PAX interview with Ken Balough from Sega:

TWGJpl_xheI

Long and could have used some editing, but it does explain their thinking about the game's place in the timeline and how it ties in to Sonic 4.

P.S. I loved the Sonic anime OVA. Metal Sonic was rad in that.

Posted ImagePosted Image

-Paul Acevedo

#40 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

#41 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

I never played it, so if the price is right, I'm in. For me the right price would b 400 points (or less).

Crunchewy.png

#42 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

I'm 99% sure it will be 800 points.

Also, I've set up an interview the game's producer which will be running at the end of October. I'll keep you guys posted.

-Paul Acevedo

#43 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Darn. Well, there's always a future sale. But who knows. Maybe I'll splurge....

Crunchewy.png

#44 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

New articles:

Posted Image
A flying fox joins the cast of Sonic CD

Sonic CD trailer shows its roots

Yes, this is looking to be an amazingly good remake/port.

-Paul Acevedo

#45 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

I love that they're having Tails be playable. It'd be neat if Knuckles is in there too, and it just hasn't been revealed.

I'm really curious about the sprite for Tails they'll be using-- they will have to remake a sprite for the special stage, along with some animations in the game. I'm most interested in seeing how that plays out.

#46 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

For 800 I'll buy day 1, at 1200 it'll be wait for a sale.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#47 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:34 AM

Hey, eastx, whatever happened to that interview?

#48 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

Here you go! Please leave comments on the article itself, as that helps the developer know readers are interested in their stuff.

Xbox Live Developer Interview: SEGA, makers of Sonic CD

-Paul Acevedo

#49 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:35 AM

Great article/interview, EastX!

I don't know if it's just hype from Sonic Generations (which I still don't own....shame on me!) or if it's that my son (3 1/2) is starting to get into the Sonic games, but I am really excited for Sonic CD. This was always my favorite of the series and I'm hoping nostalgia won't let me down.
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~

#50 R_Fated_Circle

R_Fated_Circle

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:47 AM

I will be buying this day one I even owned the original sega cd version back in the day, also I prefer the US soundtrack to the Japanese one.

#51 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

Major Nelson just posted on Twitter the list of upcoming games (a link to it). Sonic CD will be 400 points and out tomorrow!

http://majornelson.c...etplace-dec-13/

For that price I'll be in for sure.

Crunchewy.png

#52 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

That's awesome news! Hope the 400 MS Point price is correct.

I posted this article today:

Sonic CD Developer Diary reveals amazing behind-the-scenes artwork

It really is a great video, showcasing not only tons of art but also lots of footage of the remake.

-Paul Acevedo

#53 ddhex27

ddhex27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

In the dashboard there isnt a link to download the game yet, but you can add it to your queue through xbox.com.

Not sure how typical this type of thing is, but hopefully its not a new trend with this updated dashboard.

#54 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

I got the demo. Love the personalized menu system as well. Lots of interesting options in there as well:

- US/JP Music (doesn't seem to affect the Intro video)
- Choice of Filter
- Choice of Spin-Dash (Sonic CD or Sonic 2)

It doesn't seem like there's a 'load state' feature, either. I liked th

Also, the game seems to be native 16:9. I don't know how he managed that, but oh well.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#55 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

I queued up the demo and am looking forward to trying it out tonight.

Crunchewy.png

#56 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

Awesome deal, 400 points ???, when did you suddenly get cool MS ?

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#57 looploop

looploop

Camera-shy Supernova

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

So I just picked up an actual Sega CD recently... Would I be better or playing this in the original format or getting the XBLA port? I already know it'd be cheaper going with the latter.

「Im Himmel fehlen alle interessanten Leute.

Posted Image

#58 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

So I just picked up an actual Sega CD recently... Would I be better or playing this in the original format or getting the XBLA port? I already know it'd be cheaper going with the latter.

The XBLA game has tons of improvements, including proper widescreen support, visual filter, US and Japanese soundtracks, the ability to unlock Tails as a playable character, the option of using the Sonic 2 spindash, and Achievements. Also the music loops properly and load times are quicker. Come on now, you really have to ask?

-Paul Acevedo

#59 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Does that mean you've played it eastx? Anyone?

Crunchewy.png

#60 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Sigh... My girlfriend locked up both of my 360s in a cabinet to keep my son from playing them (don't ask), and I can't ask her for the combination because she's at work. But I'm playing it tonight!

-Paul Acevedo