[dead] Amazon DotD: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (DS) $20.99

highly recommend this game for the awesome fucking story. your mind will explode. only downside is the s-l-o-w t-e-x-t

Can you guys help me out?
I ordered ea mma lightning deal last night. Is there any way to add this to that order to bring the total to over $25 (free shipping)?

[quote name='unforeseen']My friend bought it at GS but the new copy was gutted. YMMV on a sealed "new" copy from GS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess if you want to keep it sealed its worth just going to Amazon.

Is this the type of game that may not drop significantly lower in price and may go out of production instead? I always have problems identifying which titles may become rare.

I highly recommend this! I paid full price and I rarely pay full price for a DS game. Get this game.

If you enjoyed games like Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk like me, then you won't be disappointed by 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.

I just finished this game and I can't believe I almost passed this game up. I want a sequel and/or a prequel as soon as possible. I just want more of this, currently trying to find the soundtrack.

[quote name='bruceg']Is this the type of game that may not drop significantly lower in price and may go out of production instead? I always have problems identifying which titles may become rare.[/QUOTE]
Like The World Ends With You, this game actually was rare and expensive for a short time after release, but seems to have been reprinted since, and the price has steadily gone down again. I wouldn't worry about it going anywhere.

I got the worst ending imaginable in the game and still loved it. A little slow but easily one of the most interesting game stories ever. Just prepare to be left with more questions than answers.

[quote name='Fatbot3']I got the worst ending imaginable in the game and still loved it. A little slow but easily one of the most interesting game stories ever. Just prepare to be left with more questions than answers.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you're expected to play through the game taking different paths to unlock further information and divergent endings. The "true ending" can't even be gotten on the first playthrough, I think it requires at least three... But the game actually uses the multiple trips through the game conceit in a very, very interesting way. Plus on subsequent plays you can fast-forward the text that you've seen previously, making it much quicker.

Overwhelming amount of positive CAG feedback in the Gamestop thread had me wanting to buy it. Driving to a Gamestop for a gutted copy prevented me. No tax means this actually comes out a little cheaper for me anyway. In for 1.

Depending on where you live, this could be cheaper than Gamestop when you take sales tax into account.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I think they should have called this game TL;DR[/QUOTE]

This game is an interactive novel. If you don't like reading, it isn't for you.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I want a sequel and/or a prequel as soon as possible. I just want more of this, currently trying to find the soundtrack.[/QUOTE]

The team behind this game just announced a new game that will, like this one, be a combination of escape puzzles and interactive novel, which roughly translates as Good People Die. We don't know anything about the story. Could be a sequel, could be a new game entirely. My guess is secret sequel, where it has its own story, but in the end, you find out they're related.

[quote name='Graff^']Actually, you're expected to play through the game taking different paths to unlock further information and divergent endings. The "true ending" can't even be gotten on the first playthrough, I think it requires at least three... But the game actually uses the multiple trips through the game conceit in a very, very interesting way. Plus on subsequent plays you can fast-forward the text that you've seen previously, making it much quicker.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']highly recommend this game for the awesome fucking story. your mind will explode. only downside is the s-l-o-w t-e-x-t[/QUOTE]

I'm usually really bothered by slow text, but it wasn't so bad in this game. It goes a lot slower than I can read, but about as fast as the characters would be talking. The fact that you can entirely skip text that you've already seen makes it fine.

[quote name='roymustang']Ironically, I would only buy this game if it were $9.99.[/QUOTE]

I was about to ask "ironic in the Alanis sense?," except this isn't even that. Unless it was intentionally, and I just fell for it?

[quote name='Graff^']Actually, you're expected to play through the game taking different paths to unlock further information and divergent endings. The "true ending" can't even be gotten on the first playthrough, I think it requires at least three... But the game actually uses the multiple trips through the game conceit in a very, very interesting way. Plus on subsequent plays you can fast-forward the text that you've seen previously, making it much quicker.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to take your word for it. I loved this game during the first two or so playthroughs. I just finished the third -- another bad ending -- and at this point I'd just like the real ending. By now, you've seen all of the rooms from the branching paths up to the bad endings, and although each playthrough offers more story and a better sense of characters' motives, you're stuck having to 'seek a way out' through the same puzzles and right-button through, what, over a half hour of text at least, before learning if your choice combination changed anything.

I finally checked a barebones spoiler list to learn which choices are significant, because if I spend another hour just to get a repeat ending, it's not going to be worth the time investment.

(granted your old choices are greyed out on subsequent playthroughs, but by the fourth, everything is grey.)

Bought a GameStop "New" copy to be sure I got one at $20 3 weeks ago. I was hoping for an Amazon price match at the time. This is close enough. I hate how they sell gutted as new, so now I can return it and get a sealed copy for less after tax.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I think they should have called this game TL;DR[/QUOTE]

This. Reading on the low-res DS screen was tiresome.

I bought this at GS also but had a $10 off preowned so as much as I would have supported the game maker (that usually doesn't happen) my inner CAG won over and got the used for $7.

This game is a great game if you like great story and don't mind reading. Kinda like a saw game, but with an actual plot and a good one at that.

I was really just making a joke, as I genuinely have enjoyed the game thus far (2 bad endings, was working toward a entirely different story when I shut off my DS and forgot to save my progress. Haven't played since). I even started a flowchart of paths.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I was really just making a joke, as I genuinely have enjoyed the game thus far (2 bad endings, was working toward a entirely different story when I shut off my DS and forgot to save my progress. Haven't played since). I even started a flowchart of paths.[/QUOTE]

Someone has been watching to much heroes and flashforward...

For balance, I'd like to say that I didn't much care for it. It was interesting the first and maybe second time through, but eventually it just got really annoying to replay. That, and I didn't feel like I had much control over what happened, which seems contradictory to the game's premise. Through in some mediocre writing and you have a game that is novel, perhaps captivating at times, but overall just isn't very good.

A sequel was just announced?! Now I just need to save up enough money for a 3DS/Vita. Also, I so hope for a soundtrack/artbook is made for 999.

I have a B2G1 coupon for GS and was going to pick this up but after reading about the Deus Ex Onlive scandal fuck them! I love Amazon (fuck OnSale too)

Im playing it on my first now. Makes me sad I have to replay it that much to get the better endings, but the writing is good. If you want to read it easy, play it on a DSi XL like me. No problems! XD

Having laborious lousy kojima esque dialog is not a flaw that can be so easily scrubbed by the magic incantation "It's a VN."

use a guide to see which room numbers you need to go through for a specific ending(there's a chart for it on gfaqs. no spoilers, just room numbers for the endings). you dont HAVE to get all of them. I only got two endings, one that was required to get the true ending and the true ending.

I also have to chime in and say that I really enjoyed this game... bought it on Amazon about a month ago for about the same price and I'd say it's well worth it!

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']use a guide to see which room numbers you need to go through for a specific ending(there's a chart for it on gfaqs. no spoilers, just room numbers for the endings). you dont HAVE to get all of them. I only got two endings, one that was required to get the true ending and the true ending.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Ill remember that! I'm already well into my first playthrough. Freakin' crazy.

Okay, if the price dropped to $21, might that indicate that Amazon
is trying to clear their stock? I'm not sure how to interpret
such a price drop.

GameStop.com is out of stock.

What I'm trying to figure out is should I wait for the price to go
down, or should I jump on it?

^Get it while you still can. It is an amazing game and I have a feeling it is a title that probably won't get a reprint given genre.

Although, Hotel Dusk got reprinted, but the its sequel Last Window never made it to the U.S. region. :(

This is such a good game. If you recognize that it's a novel and you aren't averse to reading you can really enjoy it. I found myself using a guide in order to get all the endings and get through the final true path though.

bread's done
Back