• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Endangered

Endangered

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:59 AM

Well, my tastes have certainly changed.

Im 28, in the ps1 era I loved JRPGs, now I can hardly stand them, mostly its because the story lines have not changed much. So everytime I try one it quickly becomes been here and done that. The only one ive played this gen is Lost Odyssey, which I loved.

I also hated strategy games when I was younger, I used to watch my cousin play RoTTK and Genghis Khan on the NES and I didnt understand the enjoyment. Now I love to kick back and enjoy a tactics or strat game.

Between the ages of 16 and 24 I was hardcore into MMOs, its all I played. Now I cant stand even having a conversation about them.

That all said I still have a wide taste in games and still play stuff from every genre aside from MMO. My favorites this gen are Borderlands, Fallout, Deus Ex 3, League of Legends, and Bioshock. I guess you could say my favorite genre now is FPS/RPG hybrids.

||| Currently Playing: random everything
||| GT: QuinnFTW |||
http://opinionoutpost.com/join/9760418
ach.png

#32 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

Gaming is changing, not our tastes. Games these days are mostly 3rd rate movies with 2nd rate game play. Cut scenes get more priority then the actual craft of the game.

PaulManda.png

#33 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

I can't agree with that. The cutscene craze was much worse on the PS1 and even last gen than now IMO.

Or maybe it's just that mainly play FPS and WRPG games and neither of those tend to have super long cut scenes. I mean there's a lot of story in a lot of WRPGs, but there's a ton of gameplay so it's not like one of the Metal Gear games or anything.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#34 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

Gaming is changing, not our tastes. Games these days are mostly 3rd rate movies with 2nd rate game play. Cut scenes get more priority then the actual craft of the game.

Gameplay is better then ever but I do kinda agree on the plots of games.

People give game plots way more lattitude then they would give a movie. Frankly, most game plots completely suck - it's time people started demanding more.

#35 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

I do agree that game plots need a great deal of improving. No reason they can't have plots on par with those in good movies and books. I get that the interactive nature--and move away from linear games/story telling--complicates things. But that's no excuse for how boring and cliche most stories are even in story driven games like WRPGs.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#36 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

Gameplay is better then ever but I do kinda agree on the plots of games.

People give game plots way more lattitude then they would give a movie. Frankly, most game plots completely suck - it's time people started demanding more.

To be honest, I think some people give too much latitude to plots in movies, considering what does well and what doesn't do well.

Games and movies have one thing in common: as long as the viewer is entertained, a lot can be forgiven.
Posted Image

#37 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

And I want something I can get through quickly. At only playing an hour or so a night it takes me nearly month to get through a standard 10-20 hour game. (I dont play the same game every night). This means I maybe finish one to two games a month, if I'm lucky.

Add to the fact that there's usually at least one game out each month that I DO want, and I'm never getting anywhere in the old backlog.

Sometimes playing games I just wish they'd be over and I could move on the next thing. (I'm looking at you Infamous and Dragon Age).

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#38 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

I generally only play one single player game at a time, and one online game like Call of Duty.

I finish less then one game a month on average--I've averaged around 7 games a year the past 3 years or so. There's just not that much that interests me these days. I'll play a few major FPS games like Halo, Call of Duty, Bioshock etc. Maybe one or two 2nd tier shooters like Bulletstorm. And then a couple of WRPGs or the occasionally action/adventure game like Assassin's Creed etc.

Well, that's excluding playing maybe 2 or 3 XBLA games a year. With those I guess I play about 10 games a year.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#39 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

I used to play a plethora of different genres and games, but lately I seem to be stuck in the sandbox game rut. I play GTA and nothing but GTA whenever I'm on.

Last game I finished(besides a GTA or clone) was Limbo. Before that was......I really don't remember.

I really have to either trade in my copies of GTA IV and Episodes or just give them to my one buddy to play around with so I can finish part of my 40+ game backlog.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#40 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

I do agree that game plots need a great deal of improving. No reason they can't have plots on par with those in good movies and books. I get that the interactive nature--and move away from linear games/story telling--complicates things. But that's no excuse for how boring and cliche most stories are even in story driven games like WRPGs.

I appreciate it when gameplay mechanics are woven into the story, I feel that Bioshock did this pretty well. The vita-chambers, the plasmid vending machines, it all felt more organic then the typical menus full of skill trees and different flavors of EXP

I think it comes down to hiring good writers - most companies don't want to spend the coin for a good plot because they believe it won't be a big selling point - unfortunately I think they're mostly right. For example, as far as videogames go Enslaved had an interesting plot written by an A-list author, but I wonder how many gamers cared...

To be honest, I think some people give too much latitude to plots in movies, considering what does well and what doesn't do well.

Games and movies have one thing in common: as long as the viewer is entertained, a lot can be forgiven.

Maybe, but people still give crappy movies like Green Lantern hell and there is not a reviewer that would blink if that movie's plot was used in a game.

I thought this was an entertaining read: http://www.fuhnny.co...deo-game-plots/

#41 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

Since I have limited time to play games now, maybe a few hours at night, I need something I can get enjoyment out of in short bursts. So if something doesn't 100% grab me in the first few hours I'll most likely stop playing. I just don't have the time to get into something only to quit halfway through.

#42 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

My interests haven't changed much, but I've gotten much more selective quality-wise, which is why, more often than not, you'll hear me bitch about a game on here instead of saying I like something. :lol:
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#43 Vampire_Zio

Vampire_Zio

Death Lord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:35 AM

I have been playing video games since 1988

-NES
-Commadore 64
- Old school Mac
-PC
-Game Boy orig
-Sega Gen
-N64
-PSX
-PS2
-PS3

I have always loved RPGS, Phantasy Star 1,2,4, Chrono Trigger / Cross, FF7, FF6 and even some of the newer RPG's. But my taste have changed slightly.., games being released all seem to be using the same formula...so yes I would be playing a different game but it would still feel like I have done it all before and really what is the point...to even finish it.

Now I have been drawn to games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout Vegas, Fallout 3, From Dust, Deus EX

Games that have some action to them without a ton of cut scenes and people chatting about their lost pet or a legendary sword. Guess I want a game that will take more than 10 hours to play but does not require me to spend those 10 hours confined to my chair for the duration.

#44 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:55 AM

I've been gaming since I was about 5 or 6 (1980 - 82) and I'm having more fun since the SNES. I don't have as much time, but I do stay up later than all my friends gaming. I get bored of the casual games. I can play them for a while, but I lose interest in them very fast (which is why I guess I prefer dedicated gaming handhelds, i.e., PS Vita, over an iPhone or iPad).

I did find though that certain grindy JRPGs lose my attention. I tried to play FF3 on the DS a few years ago, and just couldn't even force myself to finish it. Overall though, I don't get as angry with games anymore, and I find that when I go back and play Atari games, I can get a lot further then I could when I was a kid (Bruce Lee is one example--I could never get past like the 4th or so level before, but I think I actually got to the last guy the last time I played).
Posted Image Posted Image

#45 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

I can't play RPGs anymore. I just finished Mass Effect 2, but that game isn't that long. (for 1 play through) ME2 is more of an action game imo. But games like Demon Souls, and Final Fantasy, I don't have time for. I started Demon souls, and I spend some long nights wandering around, with nothing really accomplished.. I just don't have time for that. As an adult, I'm really enjoying the 5-8 hour games. Also, I'm trying to get away from a lot of the online shooter stuff. I enjoy the competition that those games bring, but the countless hours of online multiplayer takes away from the time that I could have spent with some great single player games.
Posted Image

#46 VAL@CAG

VAL@CAG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

I have been playing video games since 1988

-NES
-Commadore 64
- Old school Mac
-PC
-Game Boy orig
-Sega Gen
-N64
-PSX
-PS2
-PS3

Now I have been drawn to games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout Vegas, Fallout 3, From Dust, Deus EX

Games that have some action to them without a ton of cut scenes and people chatting about their lost pet or a legendary sword. Guess I want a game that will take more than 10 hours to play but does not require me to spend those 10 hours confined to my chair for the duration.

Ditto, Ditto and Ditto! I almost don't even need to write my own response after reading yours!

Anyways, gaming has most definitely changed over the years - the NES was my first system also followed by the Commadore 64 and then some straight-up PC-gaming for years to follow along with the Sega Genesis and then Nintendo 64 in that mix a little later. I got big in PC-gaming again for a while before dropping it completely once the Playstation and later Xbox hit the gaming scenes in a big fashion. Then once Xbox LIVE was introduced later followed by the PSNetwork there was no looking back at PC-gaming anymore for me - I never thought that would happen - but times obviously change - both for games themselves and for US as GAMERS. Games adapt and so have we. And I love every bit of it...
Enough blah blah blah, I love FPS's and Racing games a whole bunch. But I also love many other genres - like some RPGs like Oblivion - even though I may not spend as much time playing too many of those titles. I love a good story - it's like watching a movie or reading a good book, I love to get completely immersed in a good story. But I do love the tough games as long as it keeps my interest.
I will continue to play games I think until I can't physically or mentally handle it anymore, I make time to play and thankfully my loved ones understand my addicti- I mean 'hobby' : ) and I'm able to play as I please.

I simply LOVE to play GAMES...

#47 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:48 AM

I think I'm falling into the trap of sitting around message boards talking about games, and not playing them so much.

I hate to become "one of those guys" :baby:
Posted Image

#48 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:37 AM

I think I'm falling into the trap of sitting around message boards talking about games, and not playing them so much.

I hate to become "one of those guys" :baby:

I'm a little guilty of this sometimes. Only because I'm stuck at work wanting to play games, so forums are my outlet.

#49 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

My gaming sessions have definitely shortened and my attention span for games has lessed on the whole. I used to be able to play for 5 or 6 hours straight but now I play for a little bit, pause it and go do something else and come back or I just play for a hour and turn it off. Rare exceptions like fallout 3 aside where I can still play for long periods of time still come around but they are few and far between.

Agreed. I can't sit for more than a few hours at a time playing games now, if even an hour. The only exception is Dragon Quest. I dread to think of all the time I'll waste on the MMO whenever it comes out in the US *Shudder*
Posted Image

#50 VAL@CAG

VAL@CAG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

I have been LOVING some GOW3! Like a kid in a candy store I am on cloud 9 - it's nice to have a game like this get me back into one if those 'immersed' states again.

I'm playing with all the kids! Don't you just LOVE all the trash-talking online?! Hmm... Not really...