Dragon Age II (PC-Download) $10.16 After Coupon at Direct2Drive

Picked up DA2. For $11 it seems worth it. I just will go into the game expecting it to be nowhere near as good as DA1 and hopefully I will not be disappointed.

What I have read from people is the game is more disappointing as a sequel to an amazing game rather than being a BAD game.

Registered it on my Origin account no problem.

[quote name='brettsp']Not sure it's worth it even at this price. Heard really bad things about DAII[/QUOTE]

it isn't. Anything over 5 is an utter waste.

[quote name='terb73']it isn't. Anything over 5 is an utter waste.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I think you might be selling it short. It had a decent story, but very repetitive environments. I played all the way through it and for the most part enjoyed it. That said, I would not recommend anyone pay more than 20 for it, but its certainly a serviceable RPG with good voice acting.

Don't get it. Words fail to express the level of disappointment that is the second half of Dragon Age II.

It's worse than not playing it at all because the first half builds expectations so high.

I'm tempted to pick up Homefront at that price, but between Deus Ex, Dead Island soon, the upcoming onslaught of releases, and the backlog I already have, I know I won't end up playing it until it's on sale for $5 somewhere.

DA2 is not a perfect game and parts of it feel rushed, but as far as storytelling and characters, it's classic Bioware quality.

[quote name='Daykain']Also Homefront is being price matched with Gamersgate so is $12.73 with CHEAPASS15 promo code.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, is Homefront worth $13? Does it have a decent online community still?

[quote name='avwjase']Hmm, is Homefront worth $13? Does it have a decent online community still?[/QUOTE]

It's still playable but I seem to remember 800 or so online last time I played. Which is kinda sad for a game that released earlier this year.

Saying it's not worth $5 is extreme exaggeration. As a video game, it's fine. As a Dragon Age game it didn't live up to the first, but that's no reason to write it off as trash. It's a great game for $10 if anyone is interested in buying it. I enjoyed it greatly, despite its flaws.

[quote name='cheapbrokegamer']I'll paypal $5 for anyone who lets me register the code through EA Origins. Can this be done? IDK, but I do it with my EA games I buy through steam[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you are asking is generally condoned on this site. In this case someone would be giving you their CD key so that you could both be essentially playing the same copy while only purchasing it once. I'm not even sure that it will work, so if anyone is thinking about this, you may want to research it.

[quote name='mrniceguy8']Saying it's not worth $5 is extreme exaggeration. As a video game, it's fine. As a Dragon Age game it didn't live up to the first, but that's no reason to write it off as trash. It's a great game for $10 if anyone is interested in buying it. I enjoyed it greatly, despite its flaws.[/QUOTE]

I just want to know if it will destroy the warm afterglow feeling I had with DA:O... the demo kind of killed my want of finishing the 2nd play through of O... but I heard some story elements were piss poor about blood mages and another group (not going into spoilers). Don't want a Matrix R/R experience.

[quote name='Nesrie']I just want to know if it will destroy the warm afterglow feeling I had with DA:O... the demo kind of killed my want of finishing the 2nd play through of O... but I heard some story elements were piss poor about blood mages and another group (not going into spoilers). Don't want a Matrix R/R experience.[/QUOTE]

I played through the first one several times. I think that the second Dragon Age is almost like a side story with some of the same characters. The end really depends on some of the choices you make, so just like the first one your enjoyment may be based on what choices you make throughout the game.

I have put many hours into the first one, and I absolutely feel that the second is worth playing and did not ruin the story. In fact, it really helped expand one character and some of the choices towards the end were very interesting to me. Just don't expect it to be as good as the first, because in most ways, it is not.

[quote name='mrniceguy8']Saying it's not worth $5 is extreme exaggeration. As a video game, it's fine. As a Dragon Age game it didn't live up to the first, but that's no reason to write it off as trash. It's a great game for $10 if anyone is interested in buying it. I enjoyed it greatly, despite its flaws.[/QUOTE]

Agreed w/ that.
I thought it was worth the $30 or so I spent on it, actually.

But, yeah - DA2 is definitely nowhere as great as DAO.
DA2 is easily worth the $12 or so D2D is asking for it.

[quote name='MysterD']Agreed w/ that.
I thought it was worth the $30 or so I spent on it, actually.

But, yeah - DA2 is definitely nowhere as great as DAO.
DA2 is easily worth the $12 or so D2D is asking for it.[/QUOTE]

I would go as far as saying that Dragon Age 2 isn't even worth the time it takes to play it.

[quote name='terb73']I would go as far as saying that Dragon Age 2 isn't even worth the time it takes to play it.[/QUOTE]

You have now posted twice about this, would you care to elaborate? I've played 100's of hours of both games and I'm interested to hear the other side of it.

[quote name='mkaliaz']Picked up DA2. For $11 it seems worth it. I just will go into the game expecting it to be nowhere near as good as DA1 and hopefully I will not be disappointed.

What I have read from people is the game is more disappointing as a sequel to an amazing game rather than being a BAD game.

Registered it on my Origin account no problem.[/QUOTE]

It's a really good game. Really really good game. Like, just beat it and going to definetly play through again. It's not perfect, it didn't revolutionize the world of video games, but it's probably in my top 20-30 games of all time, and I've played a ton of video games back from the 1980's. Yes, I'm old.

[quote name='terb73']I would go as far as saying that Dragon Age 2 isn't even worth the time it takes to play it.[/QUOTE]

Well.. I suppose that is an opinion. But few games of this caliber exist, and fewer exist that allow you to continue the story from the previous game that you customized. End of Halo is the same for pretty much everyone - which is fine, awesome game, but it's a different type of game.

For the cost of less than most XBLA games, you can have an amazing experience for well over 100 hours if you play it through a couple of times. My next playthrough is going to be as a magic hating blood mage.

So if I never played any of the DAOs and don't have more than 10-20 hours total to pour into a game, what would be a better experience, I or II?

[quote name='uricmu']So if I never played any of the DAOs and don't have more than 10-20 hours total to pour into a game, what would be a better experience, I or II?[/QUOTE]

Neither. You probably should avoid RPGs in general if you dont have more than 10-20 hours.

[quote name='uricmu']So if I never played any of the DAOs and don't have more than 10-20 hours total to pour into a game, what would be a better experience, I or II?[/QUOTE]

10-20 hours? Dragon Age 2

[quote name='friedram']10-20 hours? Dragon Age 2[/QUOTE]

I wonder if playing a third or half or whatever of DA:O might not still be a more fulfilling use of his time than playing all of DA2...

[quote name='CGlade']Can I re-download Amazon.com games "forever"?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Also, you can add the serial code to Origin and download it there "forever" too.

Might pick up DA2 and add it to Origin. I kind of hopped on the Origin bandwagon since it doesn't have to run WITH the games once they are installed, so it's not like it's competing with my Steam love affair really.

This is one of the worst sequels that I have ever played. I don't understand the point of it. It seems like I just keep going in circles. I advise against getting this game. Like someone said, it isn't worth $5.

I can't even bring myself to pull the trigger at about 10 bucks. This makes me weep for the DA series. To think I was going to pre-order this until I actually heard what they were going to do with this game.

[quote name='Nesrie']I can't even bring myself to pull the trigger at about 10 bucks. This makes me weep for the DA series. To think I was going to pre-order this until I actually heard what they were going to do with this game.[/QUOTE]

What did they do that was so bad exactly? Besides some recycling of environments, I don't recall anything about the game that was really all that egregious compared to the first one. I think a lot of people were expecting more from the game, but some of you are talking about it like it's unplayable garbage. It is not as good as the first one, but it's better than a lot of other crap RPGs that are out there. If you actually liked the first one, I have no idea why you wouldn't buy this for 20-30 bucks much less the paltry 10 dollars its being sold for.

[quote name='bdb2m']What did they do that was so bad exactly? Besides some recycling of environments, I don't recall anything about the game that was really all that egregious compared to the first one. I think a lot of people were expecting more from the game, but some of you are talking about it like it's unplayable garbage. It is not as good as the first one, but it's better than a lot of other crap RPGs that are out there. If you actually liked the first one, I have no idea why you wouldn't buy this for 20-30 bucks much less the paltry 10 dollars its being sold for.[/QUOTE]

Repeat maps, human only, waves that pop out of nowhere, restricted inventory for companions, a bland story centered around one city, quest that have you buy an interest in a mine that provide no actual results, conversation wheel, small world, fast combat instead of stategic... I mean I can go on. I get that you like this game, and that's fine. It's not about price. Games I think I will like marginally I will pay less for... but all the reasons that had me reject this game at release... still hold true and surprisingly don't make me feel too different at 10 dollars. I also think you have an idea why some people would choose not to buy this game at said prices, you just don't agree which, again, is fine.

I should also mention I almost bought it based on your feedback, but then I realized if the words Dragon Age were not in the title... I wouldn't be interested at all which means the game doesn't interest me but the world does, and I can wait for DA 3 to see if they address issues as they said they would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Origin? No thanks. :p That and I'll wait for the DLC to get added in and it to all hit that price ala Fallout 3 GOTY did. I'm a patient cheapass.

[quote name='Nesrie']Repeat maps, human only, waves that pop out of nowhere, restricted inventory for companions, a bland story centered around one city, quest that have you buy an interest in a mine that provide no actual results, conversation wheel, small world, fast combat instead of stategic... I mean I can go on. I get that you like this game, and that's fine. It's not about price. Games I think I will like marginally I will pay less for... but all the reasons that had me reject this game at release... still hold true and surprisingly don't make me feel too different at 10 dollars. I also think you have an idea why some people would choose not to buy this game at said prices, you just don't agree which, again, is fine.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100% on all counts. Dragon Age 2 is by far one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. I've beaten every Bioware RPG (not counting the Sonic DS game) since the first Baldur's Gate and I only got about 15 hours into the game before I finally uninstalled the game in disgust. And for about but the first 2 or 3 hours I was literally forcing myself to keep going, hoping that it was better. I was so wrong.

Dragon Age 2 isn't even worth playing if you get it for free.

bread's done
Back