Gamer mom/dad thread

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#31 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

I lock the kids in the closet while I'm wasting punks in COD.

GAMERDAD REPRASENT.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

I honestly don't want her to play games when she gets older. As a gamer I know what a giant waste of time it is.

I get your point (I don't think kids should spend excessive amounts of time playing games and not being exposed to other activities), but how is it any more of a waste of time than any other hobby? I always laugh when people say that to me and then tell me about their 2-3 hours worth of reality TV they watch each night. Or what about people who just love tinkering around with their car for no reason? For that matter, you could easily say fishing is a waste of time too.

Honestly, even reading books isn't THAT much more "noble" of a hobby. If it's something somebody enjoys, who cares? I'd never argue that playing video games should get in the way of leading a productive life, but if we're talking free time, I see no reason why they're any less valid than the million other things people "waste" their time doing.

#33 Rabidmuskrat

Rabidmuskrat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:44 PM

Cloth diapers are cheaper in the long run. Albeit more work dealing with poopies. Can't believe I'm the only one here who uses them.

We use cloth diapers. They're really not that much harder to use than disposable honestly. Though the cloth diapers that are easier to use are also a bit pricier up front. Still substantially cheaper in the long run than disposable.

#34 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

Cloth diapers are cheaper in the long run. Albeit more work dealing with poopies. Can't believe I'm the only one here who uses them.

I don't have kids, but I have friends/people I know with kids and a lot of them do use cloth diapers. It is rising back in popularity.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#35 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

Yeah, because of the shitty economy.

#36 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:21 PM

Yeah, my best friend uses them and they're piss poor.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#37 metaphysicalstyles

metaphysicalstyles

Boo this man.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

Our daughter is now two... and I'm now able to devote considerable more time to gaming (once she's in bed). I have a general rule that I follow... if she's awake, I don't play. I'd rather play with or entertain her.
Posted Imagehttp://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/neuroned%27Posted Image

#38 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

I think people dealt with the significant inconvenience of having to scrub turd out of cloth diapers, realizing they were saving money in the long run, but when it was determined that all things considered, the environmental impact of cloth diapers was on par with that of plastic diapers, those on the fence about it went to plastic. As an infant when the poop is all watery, that's one thing (although I'm not crazy about the idea of a bunch of poopie diapers in the same washing machine that my work clothes would be in), but when they start eating solids, and they're pooping human-esque turds? No thanks. I'll gladly pay a premium if it saves me and my wife an hour a week of scrubbing poop out of a handful of cloth diapers.

You're being over dramatic. The human sized turds usually plop right out. And for the worse ones, yoiu get a little bidet/sprayer thing to the side of your toilet to spray them off. You always do a seperate load of laundry for the cloth diapers of course.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#39 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

Posted Image

I used to get a bunch of playing time when the kids were younger, as I could get them to fall asleep on me while I played. Now, I get about 10 hours in a typical weekend with almost no time during the week. My five-year-old loves everything Kirby related and has put over 100 hours (usually in less-than-an-hour-per-day increments) into Kirby's Epic Yarn. My son loves to watch, but thus far hasn't shown any interest in playing with the exception of the occasional Wii Sports Resort.

#40 Wet Ninja

Wet Ninja

Cheaping from the shadows

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:44 PM

I have a two month old at home. For the first month and a half, I think I was able to play a game once, with the exception of the week I had paternity leave when she was first born. Now that we have her on more of a routine, we put her to bed around 10:30.

She sleeps in a little bed in our bed, between us. She'll wake up if one of us isn't in the bed beside her, so my wife and I take turns getting ready for bed, then we sit on our laptops or watch TV. I've been able to play a bit on the laptop, fortunately. The only problem is that it's four or five years old, so it won't run too many games. I have been able to play Plants vs. Zombies, though, which has been great. It's pretty convenient, too, because it can be played in short sports and can be easily paused and resumed.

We're using cloth diapers. We just retired some that were too small for her and ordered 10 more to replace them. We bought a new washer and dryer back in December to prepare for doing laundry all the time. With the rate at which she's using them, we wash them every other day. So far, it's not too bad, but she's just on breast milk for now, so all we have to do is throw them into the washer. We have the sprayer that attaches to the toilet for later.

It's a bit more of an upfront investment, but it'll be cheaper in the long run, especially since we'll reuse them for later children. We also bought most of them used from a friend of ours, so that saved a lot of money.

#41 csidegamer

csidegamer

What problem w/ Dwarves?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

Just sent my youngest off to college :)
And as he is the third, and all three are at four year schools, we are broke most of the time.

Last night my wife started on her masters. I sat down to play for the first time in months, only to find that my kids had taken all my xbox 360 controllers with them. :(

Once they get old enough to hold a controller, go for it.
Playing against / with them is extremely fun, especially when they get older/better.
fs_overall.pngs2741431x15a.png

#42 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

You're being over dramatic. The human sized turds usually plop right out. And for the worse ones, yoiu get a little bidet/sprayer thing to the side of your toilet to spray them off. You always do a seperate load of laundry for the cloth diapers of course.

I dunno. My daughter is 2 and she's migrating to the potty, but the animal that comes out of her ass isn't plopping out, and it's not getting sprayed off. Maybe my kids just have a weird diet or something, but the amount of smush and mush that was in one of their loaded diapers would make cloth an absolute disaster for us.

I get that you do separate loads for diapers and clothes, but still, the idea that pee and poop soaked cloth is going into our home washing machine, followed by a load of shirts and pants isn't appealing. Cloth diapers are definitely not for us for multiple reasons.

#43 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

I get your point (I don't think kids should spend excessive amounts of time playing games and not being exposed to other activities), but how is it any more of a waste of time than any other hobby? I always laugh when people say that to me and then tell me about their 2-3 hours worth of reality TV they watch each night. Or what about people who just love tinkering around with their car for no reason? For that matter, you could easily say fishing is a waste of time too.

Honestly, even reading books isn't THAT much more "noble" of a hobby. If it's something somebody enjoys, who cares? I'd never argue that playing video games should get in the way of leading a productive life, but if we're talking free time, I see no reason why they're any less valid than the million other things people "waste" their time doing.

I'm sure she'll play games, I don't have a problem with that, but I don't want her to be exposed too much. I just hate those parents that let their kids glue their hands to a 360 or PS3 controller. But she's a girl so chances are I probably don't have to worry much.

We used a mix of coth and paper diapers for a while. While she was around the house it was cloth, and paper if we went out. But when she started squirming too much we went with paper exclusively. Sorry if that's bad for the planet but at least I tried a little.

Edited by Rodimus, 04 September 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#44 MidnightMarauder74

MidnightMarauder74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

Great thread! I enjoyed reading the earlier posts. I can relate to many of them. My son is turning one this month. I can't wait until he's old enough when we can game together. Anyways, once we established a routine where he would go to bed around 8:30 pm, I would try gaming around 9 pm or 10 pm. Sometimes I'm just too tired to game and fall asleep in front of the TV before I can catch some gaming in. I haven't put in a lot of gaming time since my son was born. Part of it is that I like RPGs like Fallout, Oblivion, and Mass Effect that need a considerable time invested. So I've been playing handheld games that I can play in short spurts like Plants vs. Zombies. Now that my son is on a sleeping schedule, I'm hoping to get back into RPGs. However, that is unlikely come next year because I'm planning to pursue my doctorate. In the meantime, I'll regularly check CAG for great deals and add them to my backlog in the hopes that I'll get to them someday! LOL.

Regarding the diapers, since Pampers work the best, we buy them from Sam's Club.

#45 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

I was on a "staycation" last week since my wife had meetings all week for the start of school. I actually got to play through the entire Back to the Future series, which was really good by the way!

The one bad thing about shopping at Amazon is forgetting to plan ahead. We ran out of diapers last night and I had to 'gasp' by diapers from CVS...

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#46 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

I might as well post here since I can't tell anyone I know yet but I just found out last night that I'm going to be a dad - again! I'm so excited - we had been trying for a while and it is good to know my boys can still swim. She is only 4 weeks along and I'm going to be nervous the entire time but nevertheless this is really awesome news for us. I just pray everything goes OK.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#47 cdeener

cdeener

Love Those Price Drops!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

I might as well post here since I can't tell anyone I know yet but I just found out last night that I'm going to be a dad - again! I'm so excited - we had been trying for a while and it is good to know my boys can still swim. She is only 4 weeks along and I'm going to be nervous the entire time but nevertheless this is really awesome news for us. I just pray everything goes OK.

Congrats, my good sir. I just found out my cousin who should not have children at all is about to have her second one. I already spend too much time helping her with the first one so this is going to be interesting.

#48 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

That's awesome, congrats!

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#49 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

Thanks guys. I'm pretty nervous - we lost one to a miscarriage between my two kids and my youngest is 4 already - we've been trying for about a year with no luck. Lots of fun - but no luck. I was really worried that stress at my job really taking a toll on me plus the fact that my wife is 36 makes it that much harder. I've got my fingers crossed for an uneventful, easy-going pregnancy though.

#50 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thats great news Javery, I hope all works out for the best.

#51 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

Congrats Javery! :applause:

I've enjoyed reading this thread. It's nice always to know that there are others out there who feel your pain.
I adore my 19 month old son. He can turn a crappy day into the best day ever in a matter of seconds.
I play a little when he's around but mostly things like Super Stardust HD, Plants vs Zombies or racing games.
I keep the blood and guts to zero. Of course he mainly thinks the PS3 is a Yo Gabba Gabba machine (Netflix streaming), which is fine.
Side-note: Gabba is one of the more bearable kid shows IMHO; def. written with the adults in mind, for those curious.
Once he's in bed around 830, I game anywhere from 830/9 to 11-ish. My wife is very understanding when it comes to my gaming habit.
I feel pretty lucky in that respect but I do want/try to do things with her so I only end up gaming about 2 or 3 nights during the week.

As far as diapers go, we use disposable Huggies. We use coupons like nobody's business. I also cruise the baby clearance aisle in Target. Just a couple of weeks ago, I picked up 60 Huggies jean diapers for $11 after being clearanced and using a $2 off coupon.
Using cloth diapers sounds cool but I'm not sure how'd that work since he goes to daycare during the week or how we'd manage to get anything done. My son already goes through a ton of clothes during the week (he's a messy eater...hand feeding himself yogurt...you get the picture, plus he's a boy...they're supposed to be dirty).
Posted Image
Posted Image
TV?
Spoiler

Spoiler

Fist bump?

#52 jbuck138

jbuck138

Wario for President!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:44 PM

Congrats Javery! We had it confirmed by the doctors office last week that we are having a second child. 6 weeks so far! We're going by the don't tell others for 12 weeks. My wife broke down and told her mom, but I'm trying to be good. Because, once told to one; everyone will know.

#53 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

Amazon has the best deal for wipes, formula and diapers. Costco is pretty sweet, too, though. Get with the Subscribe and Save plans for diapers on Amazon.

I'm still a year or two away from my son having any interest in games. He does love some tv, though!

He busted me to my wife over the weekend, though. My nephew and I were playing Zombies in Black Ops, and my son ran upstairs and told our wives that we were "playing a game with shooters" and "killing people". I didn't think he was watching us.

I actually got to play and finish Bulletstorm over Labor Day (the family went to Michigan). I stayed home to work on some "projects".

I miss the 2-3 hour naps, when I'd get some serious game time in. Lucky to have an hour a night now. You can't finish Fallout: New Vegas with so little time.

#54 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

Congratz Javery. I have my third due in December. (And final child I hope)

Nothing more fun than a three year old little girl who spends the day crying because:
1. Her sock is missing! (You took it off, it's right there)
2. The top dishwasher rack is empty. (?)
3. She can't have "anober cooookie".

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#55 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

Congrats, Javery.
Just reading this thread now as we are starting to try and have our first kid. No luck yet and it's been 2 months. I'm not worried yet, but it's driving my wife crazy. This is the most stressed she's been in a long time.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#56 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:42 PM

Thanks everyone! Congrats to jbuck and eldergamer too! Babies rule!

Just reading this thread now as we are starting to try and have our first kid. No luck yet and it's been 2 months. I'm not worried yet, but it's driving my wife crazy. This is the most stressed she's been in a long time.

Trying is like 50% of the fun so just keep at it. OK, I'm lying - it's 100% of the fun for us. I have to remind myself that the 9 months are on her and they aren't easy. I swear with the first 3 pregnancies (2 kids) we knocked that shit out on the first try (boo!). This time it was hard and frustrating and stressful but damn we were doing it all the time... so I had that going for me, which was nice.

#57 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:02 PM

The operative word is "had".

Top 3 shows in our house:

1) Fresh Beat Band
2) Bubble Guppies
3) Yo Gabba Gabba (looking for a DJ Lance costume for Halloween)

#58 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

My inlaws record a Japanese show called Okasan to Isho (With Mother) and send it to us on Blu Ray. My daughter loves it and it's a great way to expose her to Japanese. It has some really good songs.

I'm just starting to appreciate the differance between good kid shows and crappy kid shows. I was watching some show called "The Wiggles" and wow is that bad.

#59 scsg75

scsg75

Completely Exhausted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

Nice thread.

We have a 13 month old and a 6 week old. The 13 month old just started walking and is a ball of pure energy so there is little to no time for gaming. My PS3 has become a really expensive CD player and Baby Sign Language DVD player (which is really cool by the way. Evie knows about 30 signs and can communicate with us basic needs already at only 13 months).

I can count the number of times I have sat down and played a game this year on 3 fingers. But it's all worth it. They are amazing kids and seeing the 13 month old start to become a little person is beyond cool.

Evie is the 13 month old. Lila is the 6 weeker:

Posted Image Posted Image

#60 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

Posted Image

Seriously though, huge congrats. Also, I can't believe your youngest is 4 already. I remember when you were posting about him just being born and shit. Man, time flies.

Edit: Shit, just read through the rest of the thread and everyone else is having kids too! WTF
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi