Gamer mom/dad thread

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#181 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

I'm joining the club in the end of May and I already picked out the baby seat that matches my BRZ. :D

0088285499107_500X500.jpg

Congrats man!  The nice thing is you don't have to take the car seat out for the autocross :lol:

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#182 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Congrats man!  The nice thing is you don't have to take the car seat out for the autocross :lol:

Thanks!

"Baby, tell mommy that we're going for a little ride..."
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#183 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:09 AM

Congrats man.  It will change your life.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#184 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:37 AM

Congrats man.  It will change your life.

Thanks, dude. Hopefully for the better! :lol:
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

#185 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

A friend of mine has a 1 year old and I asked him to help me kill a boss in Dark Souls one evening. While in chat I hear his kid in the background and he's talking to his wife. I didn't say anything but I would never play a game like Dark Souls infront of my kid. Similarlly my brother would often play Call of Duty in front of his daughter. Also my wife would kill me if I played a violent game in front of our daughter.

I never play "my" games around her, but I did start playing a little Kingdom Hearts 1.5. Not many action parts and it's only for maybe 20 - 30 minutes. Mainly cutscenes with characters she knows and the Winnie the Pooh missions. My wife doesn't mind (she is not a gamer) but I was curious how other dads handle their gaming time with their kids.

Late reply to your post, but yeah, I cringe when I hear people playing mature games around their kids, they must not realize how much their kids actually absorb.  One of my daughter's playmates (age 4) was talking about how he loves to sit and watch his daddy play Deadpool on the 360. I really didn't know how to respond to that.

Luckily I'm a kid at heart, so about 70% of the games I play are clean enough to play around my kids.  I love trying new games to get my older daughter into it, definitely one of the most rewarding VG experiences when something just clicks with her.

The remaining 30% usually isn't that bad anyways (I usually don't push beyond T ratings anymore), and that's usually either co-op with the wife or the rare chance of solo gameplay after they go to bed.

Thanks, dude. Hopefully for the better! :lol:

Yes, the change is certainly for the better, it just might not be apparent at first.  Just expect your habits and free time to change with the arrival, and enjoy the new responsibilities and activities.  Maybe you'll get lucky and your kid will be a big time couch + chest sleeper for the first couple of months, makes for good play sessions (neither of my kids so far were that way though).

#186 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

I found out right before Christmas that we are having baby #2!  We are both pretty excited.  I can't wait to see how my son interacts with the new baby.

#187 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

I found out right before Christmas that we are having baby #2!  We are both pretty excited.  I can't wait to see how my son interacts with the new baby.

Congrats dude!

Now we REALLY have to get together soon or you'll never be able to wash your car again! :D
dohdough.png

#188 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

For X-Mas I bought my daughter (3 1/2 yrs old) "Disney Princess Enchanted Journey" for Wii. I figured it's something we can play together on my days off. So we popped it in for the first time last week. As you can imagine it's an extremly easy and simple game and it's pretty much impossible to die. All was good until we got to an enemy that slows you down and stops time. You wave the wiimote to cast spells, simple stuff, but she was having difficulty attacking him. After a few seconds of not being able to hit him she exploded and started crying. Well kinda sorta crying, more like whining.

I immediatly turned it off which at that point made her Super Saiyan angry. She wanted me to turn it back on. Of course I said "no". Not yelling at her but I sent her to her room to calm down. After about 5 minutes I walked in and talked to her about her behaviour. I made it clear we will not play any video games if she acts like that. She said she was sorry and that was that. But I am a little afraid to have her play it again but if we do I'm going to make it clear I'll turn it off as soon as I see her getting frustrated.

Any similar stories for you dads and moms? And how did you handle it? I think I did a well enough job with my situation but I'm open for suggestions.

#189 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

You did well enough, that's about the same approach I have when my 4 1/2 daughter plays.  If she's getting frustrated to the point of annoyance (for both of us), more hyper whining than talking frustration, I will tell her it's time to stop if she doesn't calm down.  Often she understands that and starts asking reasonably for me to help or to change games, but at those times where she doesn't, I just turn the TV off and remove her (as civil as possible with someone under the age of 5) and send her to her room to calm down.

Afterwards we try to talk about it and why she was frustrated, but the message isn't always received.  I try different games with her at different times, and if I can tell she's not skilled / patient enough for it at her current age, I wait a few more months to see if she's matured enough.

Maybe it's just a daughter thing, as I've played with my nephews and they get bored with a game long before they get ornery.

#190 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Congrats dude!

Now we REALLY have to get together soon or you'll never be able to wash your car again! :D

Thanks man!  

haha, indeed!

#191 joey791

joey791

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Congrats on your second child Condor

#192 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Welp, looks like I'm an official member now!
dohdough.png

#193 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

Congrats dohdough! Hope you have a handheld of choice.

#194 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

Awesome, congrats!  You're going to be just a bit busy for the next few years :lol:  

#195 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

Congrats dohdough! Hope you have a handheld of choice.

Awesome, congrats!  You're going to be just a bit busy for the next few years :lol:

Thanks guys!

I have a psp, but I think that I'll probably be too busy to play. Besides, I'm really loving daddy/daughter time! I just wish I did those squats, curls, and pull-ups so I could hold her longer. :)

encen, it looks like our lunch/autocross date will have to be postponed for the time being...haha.
dohdough.png

#196 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

Congrats dohdough, now you have to make the critical decision of either sneaking in a nap or a 45 minute game session when the baby sleeps.

#197 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

OR I could post on CAG. :lol:

Not going to lie though, I wish I had time to finish off the MGS demo.
dohdough.png

#198 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

congrats dohdough!

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#199 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

Congrats dohdough, now you have to make the critical decision of either sneaking in a nap or a 45 minute game session when the baby sleeps.

I usually went for the nap. No game can compare to the awesome of a good nap.

#200 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:21 AM

congrats dohdough!

Thanks!

I usually went for the nap. No game can compare to the awesome of a good nap.

So far, I've been burning the midnight oil and letting mom catch some zzzz's until about 3 or 4, then I sleep for maybe an hour for another feeding and a diaper and hit the sack again. Mom eventually wakes up and takes a shift to give me another 2-3 hours. Naps haven't been working out for me, so far. Maybe it will when I'm completely burnt out.

I also finally got pooped on today! :lol:
dohdough.png

#201 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

I apologize if I haven't said it yet but "Congrats" dohdough. We CAG DADs gotta unite.

Your infant stories will be over faster than you know it. And then you"ll want them back...  

Savoir it... as smelly as they are.

#202 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

I apologize if I haven't said it yet but "Congrats" dohdough. We CAG DADs gotta unite.

Your infant stories will be over faster than you know it. And then you"ll want them back...  

Savoir it... as smelly as they are.

Thanks dude! :cheers:

I treasure every fart sent my way! :D

I just wish I could predict when she smiles so I can grab a quick pic or vid. The grandparents also keep saying that I shouldn't hold her so much, but I don't care. :rofl:
dohdough.png

#203 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

The grandparents also keep saying that I shouldn't hold her so much, but I don't care. :rofl:

Impossible.  Build up that bond, helps out for both of you when you come across those "For the love of God why won't you sleep?!?" nights.

At least that's how my first one was, the second one fared much better.

#204 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:02 AM

Our daughter 3 yrs (4 in a couple weeks) has been potty trained since she was 2 1/2 years old. Since then we've had only a few accidents so we thought that hurdle was past. Until the last 2 weeks where she's been wetting her pants almost every day now. At first we just ruled it as her being lazy and not wanting to stop what she's doing. But after numerous talks swearing she will use the potty she does it again and again. After today's incident it got me thinking, I don't think this is a normal thing. Anyone else dealt with your kid reverting back to wetting their pants? And if so how did you deal with it.

I've come to think it's one of a few things:

- A health issue, maybe a weak bladder or urinary tract infection. I'm going to see her pediatrician this week just to make sure.

- A rebellious phase, wanting to push her limits and see what she can get away with. I'm leaning more towards this since she's been having more fits than usual and often not listening to us when we tell her to do things (turn of TV, brush teeth, nap, etc) It's odd because she's actually a really good girl but ever since we got back from our trip to Japan she's been unusually defiant.

- Stress. I doubt this one since home life is good, me and the wife don't argue. She get's out and plays with friends and is very active. She's not in school or daycare so that can't be it and we haven't changed our lifestyle like moving or having a new baby. Other than her coming back from Japan but that was over a month ago and have gotten back to our normal routine. Still I might be over looking something.

#205 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

The only time my oldest daughter ever had reverting potty training issues was for a period of time she kept trying to test her limits and hold it in as long as possible (usually while she was playing).  She'd then know she really had to go but couldn't hold it in long enough to make it time.

Other times were our fault, putting her in pants that required more fine motor skills than she could handle (buttons and whatnot), that she just gave up in frustration and went anyways.

From your description the defiant cause seems the most likely, just another way they exert their control on their own world.  I guess this depends on her reaction when it does happen, because my daughter used to get really upset / frustrated at those instances.

#206 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:20 AM

This is what I have to look forward to??? Thanks for the heads up, guys! :rofl:

Spoiler

dohdough.png

#207 Equistina

Equistina

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

Can a gamer mommy join these discussions or am I not allowed in the fort? :)

Equistina.png

#208 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Come one, come all! :D
dohdough.png

#209 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

My wife and I are still trying to potty tain our almost 3 year old. We were hoping to have him trained before the baby arrives in July but I don't think that's going to happen.

Of course! I apologize for the title, I've tried editing but I wasn't able to change it.

Edit: I don't know why it didn't let me fix it before. Fixed! :)

#210 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

From your description the defiant cause seems the most likely, just another way they exert their control on their own world.  I guess this depends on her reaction when it does happen, because my daughter used to get really upset / frustrated at those instances.

She tries to hide it and lies (which I hate) She had a friend over yesterday for a few hours and they were playing good. We kept asking if she needs to go potty, each time "no". After her friend left she was watching TV while my wife prepared dinner. Then I smelled it, her skirt and underwear were soaked. We had a looooong talk. She finally admitted to us that she wet her pants while playing with her friend but didn't want to stop playing. So she had been sitting in wet underwear for at least 30 minutes.

She has a hard time ending or putting playtime on hold. So starting today we're starting up a new system. No TV, No Tablet, No Games until she can prove to us she can listen. At least today she took a nap with no fuss.

I'm probably painting her as a a bad kid but it's quite the opposite. I don't ever have to worry about her playing with other kids. She's extremely sociable, no problems with sharing or playing. She's very artistic and loves to draw, paint and do crafts. She'd much rather be outside playing then watch TV. She loves helping us clean and cooking. And she's so smart and has an amazing memory, her Japanese is even getting better than mine. So that's why I find her current behavior so odd and want to correct it ASAP.

And gamer moms are very welcome. Share