Why The Wii Didn't Appeal To The 'Core'

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:47 AM

I'm glad 12 year olds don't play my system.

The phrase, "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound" comes to mind.

#32 rlse9

rlse9

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:28 AM

If Nintendo (of America at least) gave a damn about hardcore (not "casualcores" that only play Halo/CoD/Madden) gamers then Xenoblade would have been released in the US already. They have a lot of work to do if they want me to buy the WiiU.

The funny thing is that I probably wouldn't have bought Xenoblade or any of the other games they've failed to release, but the fact that they haven't still makes me more hesitant to bother with the WiiU. They really just don't get it.

Now Playing:

:wiiu: Mass Effect 3, Super Mario World, FIFA 13

#33 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

the Wii U will do great in Japan i'm certain, just like the 360 does great in the US. I'm all for nintendo's innovation even though it sometimes feels more niche at times and doesn't recieve enough 3rd party support. Wii is now the official game console of thanksgiving at my house only because the anyone can play wii sports resort and/or at least enjoy watching it.

#34 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

I had a friend who got into a passionate screaming match about how Nintendo abandoned its core fanbase who had been supporting them and growing up as gamers with them since the days of the NES.

I personally think it's a great system and still play it; Mario Kart on the Wii is still a good time to me. There's plenty of "hardcore" games on the Wii:

House of the Dead: Overkill
Madworld
Castle Shikigami 3
Ultimate Shooting Collection (Still need to get this one)
No More Heroes 1 & 2
Ghost Squad
House of the Dead 2 & 3
Dokapon Kingdom
Muramasa
Pop N Music
Pinball Hall of Fame Williams and Gottlieb Collection
... and more

But all the above posters are right; the influx of casual games, Wii Fit, and Mini-game collections is what gave the Wii its reputation.
Posted Image

#35 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

Corvin said what I was going to say. It was the controller. It remains the controller. I don't like it, I don't think it makes games any better, and when it comes to platformers like NSMB Wii and DKC Returns, it literally makes it worse by adding motion controls to a function best handled by a button-press. Some stuff like Wii Sports works well with the motion controls, but I'm not going to sit and play Wii Bowling for more than a couple games at a time. I want to lose myself in the worlds that Nintendo are absolute masters at crafting, not fall off a cliff because my wig was more of a wag and Mario didn't do what I wanted him to do.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#36 Droenixjpn

Droenixjpn

The Waiting Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:06 AM

I also think it had to do something with the controller. I just want a traditional controller, which the Classic Controller Pro did for me and I would really love to see them use that more often in the Wii U era, instead of just the regular Wii remote controllers. Or offer an option for both. They could both work for FPS games and since at this point in time, that the Wii U can only use one of the Wii U controllers at once, we're going to be forced to use Wii remotes to play their games.

I was hoping Nintendo would use a more traditional controller for their next console, but I can't wait to hear more official reports on it.

Edit: I just had a thought. I think Nintendo might move the Wii U to late 2012/early 2013, just so they can focus more on the Nintendo 3DS and work on the Wii U a bit more. I don't know, it's just a thought. Feel free to discuss about though!

#37 slugboss

slugboss

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

I'm fully expecting a $300 console, it'll probably be on par with a $300 home built PC from a few years ago. I just hope someone shakes the fear of life into nintendo yelling "This isn't good enough" until they understand that being "HD" is the lowest common denominator these days and they need to exceed that with amazing processors and gpus to please every gamer... This thing is gonna be on the shelf for 5 or more years, instead of grasping at straws for 3rd party support that whole time just make a nice big initial investment to ensure they're the generic "xbox 360" status of nextgen that supports every game.

#38 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

Edit: I just had a thought. I think Nintendo might move the Wii U to late 2012/early 2013, just so they can focus more on the Nintendo 3DS and work on the Wii U a bit more. I don't know, it's just a thought. Feel free to discuss about though!

AFAIK Wii U is already targeted for holiday 2012.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#39 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:39 AM

They do obviously.

Only so much money to be made on hardware sales. Software sales are where the big $$$ are and the Wii attach rate was pretty poor. Too many just bought it for Wii Sports and Wii Fit and bought little else afterwards.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#40 Shion

Shion

Forgets to eat...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:32 AM

I don't think it's all the shovelware, and I don't think it's the motion controls, I don't even think it's the less-than-stellar name of the hardware, but Nintendo screwed the "core" gamers too much by staying away from internet capabilities, and not making enough of an effort to provide good multiplayer/competitvie game experiences. I mean come on, games like Wii Sports and its ilk would have been at least 5 times more enjoyable if it had even just an online scoreboard, would have been fantastic if even just Wii bowling had online multiplayer.
Posted Image

#41 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

Lack of HD really hurt as well. Playing even the great games on the Wii I still always have "damn I wish this was in HD so it wasn't a jaggy mess" in the back of my mind.

For me it was that and the great core games being so few and far between. Their are some great games on the Wii for sure, just not nearly enough of them compared to the other consoles this generation.

Online would have added some, but I mainly play FPS games online and wouldn't want to play those with the Wii controller anyway, nor in standard definition.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#42 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

How you launch sometimes goes a long way to how people perceive the system. The Wii being a non-HD system, with whacky controls and launch games that appeal more to the casual gamer rather than the hard core (with the exception of Twilight Princess), many viewed the system as being not for them. Given the relative failure of 3rd party core gamer games on the Wii, the situation ended up being a viscious circle.

That being said, I think the Wii has been a good system, with a lot of good, unique games that you can't find elsewhere.
Posted Image

#43 pacemakerguy

pacemakerguy

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

they need achievements and accounts for Live, they need more online games than just 2 big ones. Why not add a online mode for Mario Bros, And idc if i can see where people died in a game I just want to play with them not chat....
Now playing:
Max Payne 3
GTA: Ballad of Gay Tony
NHL 12
TLOZ: Skyward Sword

#44 pacemakerguy

pacemakerguy

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

They also need GTA 5 and other huge titles, who cares if they finally got Arkham City, I beat that and it came out what almost a year ago? The problem with Nintendo is they always seem to get great games months after they come out with a different title like something edition, why can't it be released with the 360 and PS3 versions?
Now playing:
Max Payne 3
NHL 12

#45 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:39 AM

they need achievements and accounts for Live, they need more online games than just 2 big ones. Why not add a online mode for Mario Bros, And idc if i can see where people died in a game I just want to play with them not chat....

Imagine a gorgeous HD-ified versions of WaveRace & F-Zero with online multiplayer. :drool: I don't think either have the drawing power alone to be a system seller, but combined with Pikmin 3 and NSMB2 and you have a launch worthy of swaying the disenchanted core gamer.

Speaking of online, have they revealed how you will actually chat with anyone?

How you launch sometimes goes a long way to how people perceive the system. The Wii being a non-HD system, with whacky controls and launch games that appeal more to the casual gamer rather than the hard core (with the exception of Twilight Princess), many viewed the system as being not for them. Given the relative failure of 3rd party core gamer games on the Wii, the situation ended up being a viscious circle.

Actually Nintendo sold the Wii to the core at launch based on potential and a lot of those people feel burned.

#46 pacemakerguy

pacemakerguy

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

I wish Rockstar games would come to Nintendo, more M violent games than just the same crap
Now playing:
Max Payne 3
NHL 12

#47 pacemakerguy

pacemakerguy

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:28 AM

WatchDogs may come to Wii U!!!
Now playing:
Max Payne 3
NHL 12

#48 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:32 AM

WatchDogs may come to Wii U!!!

If it comes to the Wii-U, that will be a tough call for me between that and my nice PC. Hacking with the gamepad would be perfect.

I need a new signature.

#49 pacemakerguy

pacemakerguy

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:55 AM

this is great http://wiiudaily.com...-wii-u-in-2013/
Now playing:
Max Payne 3
NHL 12

#50 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

this is great http://wiiudaily.com...-wii-u-in-2013/

If all multiplat games come to the Wii-U next gen then how are they not on an even playing ground with the PS4 and xbox? Another great pull for the Wii-U
Spoiler

I need a new signature.

#51 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

The WIi was missing just about everything last gen, it didn't get any of the big titles. By owning a Wii you missed out on almost everything of the current gen. This means Wii owners didn't even have the opportunity to try any of the big games, they were stuck with a Wii and only Nintendo games. I didn't think it was a huge deal at first but looking back on the PS3 and XBox 360's library I realize just how much was missed. If you only owned a Wii of the current gen, you probably missed out on about 90% of the current gen's big games.

Nintendo needs to target the hardcore because the hardcore actually buy games, I am sure Nintendo sold a lot of Wii's, but how much software did they sell to casuals. Not very much. Most were happy with their initial purchase of the Wii and Wii Sports. They probably didn't buy any other games for months and maybe purchased 1 game per year if they even purchased anything after Wii Sports. That is not good for software sales. The hardcore purchase at minimum probably 3 games per year, most buy many more than that.

If the Wii U gets every big third party title then it will be on an even playing field with the next Xbox and PS whatever.

#52 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

Actually Nintendo sold the Wii to the core at launch based on potential and a lot of those people feel burned.

Looking at the launch games, I'm not sure how the core Nintendo gamer could get excited at all about it. Really, the only draw I saw was Twilight Princess, which was also on Gamecube.

That was probably one of the weakest launch lineups out there.

The WIi was missing just about everything last gen, it didn't get any of the big titles. By owning a Wii you missed out on almost everything of the current gen. This means Wii owners didn't even have the opportunity to try any of the big games, they were stuck with a Wii and only Nintendo games. I didn't think it was a huge deal at first but looking back on the PS3 and XBox 360's library I realize just how much was missed. If you only owned a Wii of the current gen, you probably missed out on about 90% of the current gen's big games.

Well, big cross-platform titles, yes. (Tho, in my experience, the real "big games" are console exclusive.) The good thing about the WiiU is that it should address the cross-platform problem.

Nintendo needs to target the hardcore because the hardcore actually buy games, I am sure Nintendo sold a lot of Wii's, but how much software did they sell to casuals. Not very much. Most were happy with their initial purchase of the Wii and Wii Sports. They probably didn't buy any other games for months and maybe purchased 1 game per year if they even purchased anything after Wii Sports. That is not good for software sales. The hardcore purchase at minimum probably 3 games per year, most buy many more than that.

You know, people say that, but would all the "shovelware" (so to speak) be out there if people weren't buying it? We make asumptions here of what the casual/family gamer buys, and we really don't know.

If the Wii U gets every big third party title then it will be on an even playing field with the next Xbox and PS whatever.

While nowadays it is important to have the multiplatform support, ultimately it is about the unique content. What they need is more than just multiplatform support, but console-exclusive third party support. Nintendo still brings it when they release a game most of the time, but they haven't been consistent enough bringing it out to do it by themselves. They need the third party developers to step up, and they need more than just Ubisoft in their corner.
Posted Image

#53 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

For me any way, recently has been the Wii's strongest stretch. Starting with Zelda, then Rhythm Heaven, the 3 RPGs (I'm assuming we'll get Pandora's tower now) The Kirby Collection, and I know theirs some other games that are escaping me. But right now, sinking my teeth into Xenoblade, I play my wii more than any other console by far.

#54 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

I got a Wii but I have no plans for getting a Wii U at launch. When xbox 3 and ps4 come out, the Wii U will have a price drop. From what I've seen of it titles, there isn't anything I can't already get without buying it anyway. To make matters worse, will the console play next gen games if it's only as powerful as the current gen consoles?

#55 pacemakerguy

pacemakerguy

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

The casual thing we are saying is pretty true, most of the people that own a Wii that I know only have Wii sports and about 2-3 other games and have had the system for years now, They need to get bigger titles instead of making the same Mario game all the time....it's getting annoying.
Now playing:
Max Payne 3
NHL 12

#56 F-Zero

F-Zero

Show me your moves!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Overall with regards to my taste in games, niche, great gameplay, it would seem the Wii has the least amount of games of any home console I'd had from Nintendo. Its a bit disappointing but at least the games I've decided to keep were all really good at what they do.

#57 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

Not really. The WiiU will graphically be eclipsed by both, which is a factor to some people and...

While nowadays it is important to have the multiplatform support, ultimately it is about the unique content. What they need is more than just multiplatform support, but console-exclusive third party support. Nintendo still brings it when they release a game most of the time, but they haven't been consistent enough bringing it out to do it by themselves. They need the third party developers to step up, and they need more than just Ubisoft in their corner.

For the WiiU to even be remotely close to the same playing field it means catering to shooter fans. That means a functional controller, a functional online service and a way to chat among team members. So far Nintendo has addressed one of those with the new non-tablet controller. (assuming the flopped analog placement doesn't suck)

Fanboys can cry "shooters, Halo & CoD are teh sukke" all they want, but until Nintendo supports those features their console will never be on par with the PS3 & 360.