NBA JAM: On Fire Edition.

Dr.Zoidberg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
There is a new NBA JAM coming out for Xbox Live for $15 in October. Real reason I am posting is I see that some places have dropped the NBA JAM game to $20 and I would have probably have picked it up if someone hadn't mentioned this coming to Xbox live.

http://www.ea.com/nba-jam-on-fire/blog/about-nba-jam-on-fire

aboutjamblog_656x369.jpg

Hey JAM FANS!

Trey Smith, Creative Director of NBA JAM: On Fire Edition here. Thanks for visiting our site. Very cool things are going to be showing up here first as we get closer and closer to our launch on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network this Fall. Lots of questions out there, so to start things off here on our website, how’s about I start with the big one…

What is NBA JAM: On Fire Edition?
Well, we broke off the core 2 on 2 experience from our last version of JAM, no Boss Battles and half court games this go around, and have spent a good part of the last year or so polishing and refining that core 2 on 2 experience in every which way we could. We’ve listened to all of the feedback from JAM Fans, just like YOU, and have done our best to deliver the very best version of NBA JAM to date.
jamimagetop.jpg

You wanted TAG MODE and TEAM FIRE – DONE!
The ability to control either player on your team at any given time (Tag Mode) really takes the JAM experience to a whole new level. If you thought you had to be quick on your toes before, now you have to think twice as fast when running solo.
You can also catch your entire TEAM on FIRE, blue flames and all, by performing 3 consecutive and uncontested alley-oops which really bolsters the whole Co-op experience. There’s no I in Team Fire…okay there is but you get the point.

You wanted DEEPER GAMEPLAY with more strategy – DONE!
No joke, we’ve made well over 1,000 game play tweaks that you will feel the moment you pick up a controller. JAM has never been smoother and more responsive. Our mantra on the game team was “Make every single frame of game play count.”
When you’re runnin’ solo, we’ve added the ability to “Call for Oop” and “Call for Shove” to your AI teammate. Call for Oop will help you catch on Team Fire and Call for Shove is just like calling for a pick…that shoves. Good times.
Razzles Dazzles, the term coined by Tim Kitrow for fancy moves (who’s back with more hilarious commentary by the way), allow you to express yourself while you’re in the middle of a game. If you’re up by 12 points and want to get under your opponents skin you can unleash a granny shot or maybe you want to break out into “the Dougie”, either way RD’s will add even more fuel to the competitive fire.
jamimagebottom.jpg

You wanted BETTER AI – DONE!
We’ve completely revamped our AI by using REAL AI, the artificial intelligence tech behind the FIGHT NIGHT series. It has allowed us to create a more fluid, more dynamic, and more organic game play experience when playing with and against the CPU. I swear it feels like you’re playing against another human. Especially when they Razzle Dazzle you when they have a lead. And the AI is learning how to beat you every time that you play…more on that later ;)

You wanted a BETTER ONLINE EXPERIENCE – DONE!
We’ve made a complete overhaul to how we do all things online. We learned a lot last time out and are doing our best to provide you guys with a place online to game it up with your friends. We’ve got an Online Co-op Campaign in the works (ROAD TRIP) as well as a cool new tournament mode we’re calling ARENA. Whether you want to go Solo, Co-op, or want to take on the world NBA JAM: OFE will be online and ready for you.

But above all…You wanted a better PRICE – DONE!
NBA JAM: On Fire Edition will be $15 on XBLA and PSN this fall and we couldn’t be happier about it. Speaking for the game team, we always set out to make the best game we possibly can in the hopes that as many people get to play it as possible. We know times are tight, so were doing our best to pack in as much stuff as we can before it goes live.
Speaking of which, going to go check in with my guys. We’re in the middle of allocating new stats to all of the players in the game. Which brings me to a quick question I’d love to hear what you guys think if you have a moment…
Should the Mascots have better, worse, or about the same stats as a “Star” NBA Player?

Alright gang, thanks again for stopping by and keep checking in here for the latest and greatest for all things NBA JAM.
Keep on jammin’

this should be free for anyone who bought the other version...

It came out at $50 and this "better" version is $15? WTF?

[quote name='DestroVega']this should be free for anyone who bought the other version...

It came out at $50 and this "better" version is $15? WTF?[/QUOTE]

Just enjoy the fact that you will be able to get a better version for only $15. Rather than just slapping 2012 at the end of the title and selling it for $50.

Saying you should get it free is like saying you should get Gears of War 3 for free since you bought the previous, doesnt really make sense when you think about it.

[quote name='musha666']Just enjoy the fact that you will be able to get a better version for only $15. Rather than just slapping 2012 at the end of the title and selling it for $50. [/QUOTE]

Isn't that what they normally do for Madden.

Luckily I bought the disc version for $10 after a BB PM of KMart's sale price in December and my $20 in RZ certificates from Madden. FYI the disc still trades for $10-$15 before promos at Gamestop, so there is a way to get some decent money back from it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Luckily I bought the disc version for $10 after a BB PM of KMart's sale price in December and my $20 in RZ certificates from Madden. FYI the disc still trades for $10-$15 before promos at Gamestop, so there is a way to get some decent money back from it.[/QUOTE]
I did the same thing as a matter of fact, only paying $10. I heard the re-release was coming so I traded my copy in July with the 40% coupon & got $20 for the game (lol).

It was really fun, especially with friends. I didn't play it a lot because other stuff was out, but it seems like they addressed some of the complaints I had with the original. I'm excited about the XBLA release.

[quote name='musha666']Just enjoy the fact that you will be able to get a better version for only $15. Rather than just slapping 2012 at the end of the title and selling it for $50.

Saying you should get it free is like saying you should get Gears of War 3 for free since you bought the previous, doesnt really make sense when you think about it.[/QUOTE]

Eh it's not quite the same but your first point is valid.

I'll probably trade-in/sell my disc copy and buy this version. I like the game, though admittedly I haven't really played it that much. The changes mostly sound better, though actually I don't like the idea of tag mode. One thing I've never been good at in sports games is switching players. I always switch and end up running the wrong way because I was pushing the stick that way for the player I was just controlling. Changing directions to match the location of the other player is a bit like rubbing your belly and patting your head for me.

I have been playing campaign religiously on NBA Jam. It's a great game for the $20 I spent on it. I will purchase this version as well since I'll have more friends to play with.

Allegedly Gamestop is giving $15 for NBA Jam 360, but that was from 8/1. I suppose it probably dropped by now. If it's close to $15 I'll probably do that and then put the credit toward a points card. I've also got a (fat) 360 power supply to dump on them. Probably have some other crap I need to get rid of.

Trades into Amazon for 13.00. I may go that route and get this. Sounds like the definitive version.

I assume the roster and such is going to be updated? I also wouldn't mind older players being added too.

I'm really excited for this, the first game was awesome to have, even if I did pay $50 for it. There were a few annoyances, though — compared to the arcade game actually being "on fire" wasn't nearly as good, and if you rebounded the ball under the basket, the opposition always had a chance to steal it. Also, the online absolutely sucked ass. Half the time, you spawned as the OTHER TEAM and had to quit. The other half of the time the lag was so bad that the game was unplayable. Anyone else have this problem? They've alluded to "improvements" in online play, so it better be flawless.

Is there information on who is in the game? I know ESPN showed the roster for the first retail version, id like to know who is all in it before i even think about buying it.

there's an Unlock everything dlc for 400 msp aka $5. Think it's good in a sense for someone like my brother who works alot and has no time to play to unlock everything.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Is there information on who is in the game? I know ESPN showed the roster for the first retail version, id like to know who is all in it before i even think about buying it.[/QUOTE]

I don't know who is in it in terms of the real teams, but I know some of the hidden characters are:

Faith from Mirror's Edge
Kaori, Mac and Elise from SSX
Multiple versions of Issac from Dead Space
Beastie Boys

With the lockout deal going on with the NBA, the roster might end up being the same as it was on the original NBA Jam.

[quote name='buddynayr']Yup, it's nice that the online actually works in this one, too.[/QUOTE]

Unlike NBA2K which STILL can't get smooth online working in any of their games (going by the posts from pastapadre on his site as I won't be buying it.)

Found an experience glitch:

If you win a challenge in a Road Trip game, select "Restart Match" from the menu you can win the challenge again -- you'll get points for completing the challenge twice when the game is over.

Did this with the jump shot challenge... got it to 79 / 80, started a game, sunk the shot, won the challenge -- restarted 10 times to test.

Sure enough, I got over 10,000 points at the end of the game (the challenge was worth 1k)

A good tip for those of you who want points asap to unlock some of the stuff.

so those who have purchased it, how is it compared the last nba jam that was released on disc? I think I might just purchase the 'time is money' unlock for 400 msp since I don't have the time to sit around and play the whole game like that and i'm mainly going to play it online anyways :p

[quote name='DestroVega']this should be free for anyone who bought the other version...

It came out at $50 and this "better" version is $15? WTF?[/QUOTE]

I don't make video games so maybe im wrong, but doesn't it seem to you that it would cost a hell of a lot less to tweak an existing game? NBA JAM was made from scratch. Adjusting things, im assuming, wouldn't take as much work and cost a lot less to the company. Meaning.... lower cost to the consumer!!!! You are paying $15 for the company to make the game better. Get over it.

^I guess my point really was that it should have been an Arcade game on XBL to being with, I didn't even pay $50 for my copy.

I really want this but can't buy anymore games til the Kindle Fire is released! Augh! At least I have the original Xbox 360 version.

For what its worth, i was one of the suckers who bought last years 50.00 monstrasody, and man this was is a third of the price and WAY better. I am having so much fum with it, so very very much to unlock and to "buy" with jam bucks. This time around they did EVERYTHING right.

Also to answer a question i seen earlier in this thread about rewarding people who bought last years game, the answer is YES. For risk or ruining the surprise all i am going to say is that you find out right way that yes they reward you and how they do it, i thought it was a very nice touch. If you are a fan of the jam series you will not be disappointed.

Awesome to get rewarded for having played the previous disc version. No seattle supersonics sucks though but hey, for the most part the game is fun. I purchased it and played online with my bro and it was fun. It's definitely worth the price.

I have the disc version...and played it a week or so before it got shelved.

Definitely gonna buy this version the next time I have some points.

[quote name='intoxicated662']No seattle supersonics sucks though but hey, for the most part the game is fun. I purchased it and played online with my bro and it was fun. It's definitely worth the price.[/QUOTE]

I paid the 400 points for the unlocks since with that and the game comes out to $20 and I almost paid that much for the game when it was first released. I just played with the Sonics with Payton, Kemp and Schrempf.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']Celts
Garnett
Pierce
Rondo
Green
J Oneal
Lucky--mascot
Mchale
Bird
Allen[/QUOTE]

Wow. That's fuckin' awesome! I complained a lot last year when Lucky wasn't in.

Thank you, Dr. Zoidberg, I really appreciate it.

Buying this tomorrow--I waited for the the downloadable version and I thank god I didn't have to wait until next year. All the positive feedback is great to hear. My bro just got a PS3, can't wait to play online w him, anyone know if you can or can't gameshare it??

seriously considering buying this.. how is the online? is there lots of people playing it all night or nah?

[quote name='kingtut313']seriously considering buying this.. how is the online? is there lots of people playing it all night or nah?[/QUOTE]

when I'm online it usually says about 1000-1200 players online during the week. More on weekends of course.

Has anyone had a glitch in this where it disconnects your controller even though it has plenty of battery life?

Also, if anyone wants to play online send me a request. I'm definitely down for some online games.

I haven't tried to create a game yet, but there IS a lobby system to invite a friend to compete against, right? At first glance, it looked like I could only invite a friend as co-op. I'm sure I'm wrong though.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Has anyone had a glitch in this where it disconnects your controller even though it has plenty of battery life?

Also, if anyone wants to play online send me a request. I'm definitely down for some online games.[/QUOTE]

Double check your battery to make sure it isn't loose and that it doesn't have wiggle room. Its a common, eventual defect in the design. The contacts could be loose also.

I say this because 1) its common and 2) a game desyncing your controller would have the controller searching for a console, not turn it off.

I am surprised i have not seen any threads regarding the specific topic of "friends" and the online arena challenges. Unless i read it wrong there seems to be a challenge that adds up your stats along with everyone on your friends list. For example there may be a challenge with dunks, so your dunks online and all your friends dunks online will count towards the challenge. This sort of setup reminds me of the XBLA game PINBALL FX 2 and how you could earn specific items (avatar items) by not only counting your score but the scores of everyone on your friends list as well. I used to have a TON of people on my friends list just because of that pinball fx thing, but i long since deleted them (my list was crazy huge).

I am just real surprised i have not seen a "sign up to be my friend so i can achiieve online arena challenges in nba jam on fire edition" threads :)

So does anyone know how to legitimately unlock the Seattle Sonics? I've searched all over & can't find any guides on the unlocks at all. I don't want to buy the unlock thing for 400MSP.

I haven't had a lot of time to play this but it's awesome reliving some of my childhood memories from the old NBA JAM days when I played on SEGA and SNES. Gotta get reused to the game my record is kinda shotty right now.

[quote name='advanced']Double check your battery to make sure it isn't loose and that it doesn't have wiggle room. Its a common, eventual defect in the design. The contacts could be loose also.

I say this because 1) its common and 2) a game desyncing your controller would have the controller searching for a console, not turn it off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I've read the Gears controllers (which I have) are known to be worse with this problem. I'm just trying to figure out if it is just the controllers or my console too. So far my old standard controller hasn't disconnected. Might just have to return the new controllers.

bread's done
Back