Din's Curse (PC/Mac) $3.99 at Direct2Drive - CAG Exclusive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24751[/IMG-R]Use coupon Code CAGDINS80 to get Din’s Curse, a well reviewed Diablo-esque indie game for $3.99 (normally $19.95). Valid through 9/5/2011 11:59:59 PM PST.

d2d.gif
Din's Curse (PC/Mac) $3.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Lemarfanz']Pretty solid deal, has anyone played this before?

I'd hate to pass up any deal on an indie game![/QUOTE]

Go to the developers site. There's a demo you can download and try.

I've always heard good things but had a hard time buying at $20 + $10 expansion, even after trying the demo. At $4 + $10, it's not so bad for me.

Bought... kind of. I thought I had selected the PC version, but my owned games list has it as the Mac version. Probably my mistake. Filed a ticket.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to our attention! Some were discussing this game recently in another thread.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Anyone know if it registers on Steam?[/QUOTE]

Since the game isn't on Steam, no, no it doesn't.

looks great. bought a copy

edit: nevermind. tried to buy a copy but its requiring some sort of phone authorization in addition to my paypal info. shady as fuck and i don't have my phone with me anyway.

The main draw of the game is the replayability. You're meant to use one character over the course of several games, each of which can be radically different. In my first game, monsters attacked the town, and by the time I took out the monsters, they'd killed most of the NPCs :) The game is very generic in terms of quests and it's rather primitive graphically, but it's still an interesting spin on the hack 'n' slash RPG genre and well worth the $4.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Anyone know if it registers on Steam?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't. Valve continually reject the game despite the developer trying his hardest and all the praise it has received. Rock, Paper, Shotgun was constantly going on about this game for a while when it was released.

Wow though, never thought I would see it go this low. Crazy awesome deal imo!

My only two big complaints with this game are that the camera does not pull back far enough and that since everything, even the town is randomized sometimes it can feel as though you are not progressing. At this sale price these are REALLY small complaints and id say this game is a must buy for anyone that likes Diablo style games at this price. This is actually the closest any game has come to the original Diablo since Darkstone IMO.

Overall a very good game....Im just frustrated that I paid $20 for it less then a week ago! Ah well...at least its helping an indy dev and helping others determine to pick the game up.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Overall a very good game....[/QUOTE]

really superficial question - I fired up the demo a couple of times briefly and it seems like everyone is wearing brown trousers and vest, do you know if the character gear is supposed to get pretty cool later on in the game? Or is it just best not to expect Diablo/Dungeon Siege - style gear?

[quote name='mujahid9']really superficial question - I fired up the demo a couple of times briefly and it seems like everyone is wearing brown trousers and vest, do you know if the character gear is supposed to get pretty cool later on in the game? Or is it just best not to expect Diablo/Dungeon Siege - style gear?[/QUOTE]

Your gear does change, but so far iv yet to be impressed by any of the visuals for my armor or helms. A few of the special weapons I have found look kind of cool but for the most part id just go in expecting very low expectations from the visuals of this game. As the demo should have shown you everything looks like ass(like a PSX 3D overhead game).

They've processed a refund for me (Mac version whoops), so I've rebought the PC version. I had to do the phone authorization thing this time, first that's happened buying from them.

Finally have it now, though for the moment it will reside among the other titles in my backlog.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but does anyone know if it's worth also getting the expansion? I've read that it makes a nice difference but I want to know if it's an immediate necessity. I really loved the additions that Immortal Throne made to the original Titan Quest base game (areas, items, and UI changes), so I'd love to know if DC's expansion rounds things out.

Last time I'm asking, promise ;)

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Sorry to sound like a broken record, but does anyone know if it's worth also getting the expansion? I've read that it makes a nice difference but I want to know if it's an immediate necessity. I really loved the additions that Immortal Throne made to the original Titan Quest base game (areas, items, and UI changes), so I'd love to know if DC's expansion rounds things out.

Last time I'm asking, promise ;)[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling I am the only one that has played the game here at all at this point so I doubt anyone will answer....but id love to know this as well. On the website it sounded like outside the new class nothing that was added was that impressive, but I could be wrong.

Try the original game first, and if you like it, pick up the expansion - that's what I did. I enjoy random levels, respawning levels, and the random loot. I still haven't put together a complete armor set yet, but you get bonuses for partials.

The expansion does have some nice features, but honestly, I'm not sure what features are just patches vs expansion only. My best recommendation is to go over to both Soldak's Main Page as well as their Forums to poke around, and check out the community.

I'm a fan of Indie Game Developers, and Soldak is up there. DC is my favorite of their games.

*edit* this is a snippet from their DC:DW page:

"Din's Curse: Demon War is the first expansion for the unique action RPG Din's Curse. Adds the Demon Hunter class, new demon monsters, tons of new quests, more involved NPCs, lots of new dungeons and caves, and much more."

Which just does not sound like that much. In Xpacks I want new items and new classes. New areas of course too, but since everything in this game is random it just does not seem like new quests or areas make a big difference.

So after much nagging by my friends I decided to try buying this game again. Got to the phone verification step and this time had my phone with me. Entered my phone number and was told it wasn't valid. Alright, maybe I have to format it a certain way. Tried it again, same message. Decided to try my landline number since I read somewhere they want that. Then I was given a new error saying I had used up all my attempts at phone activation. All this to use their service when they have so many competitors its like they hate people giving them money.

I then sent d2d an expletive filled support ticket about their service and that whoever reads it can fuck themselves.

This was my first and last attempt to use d2d.

Never even heard of it before, but the demo was fun. Bought it, and luckily with no more trouble than usual from D2D (Comrade constantly freaks out on my computer).

[quote name='crystalklear64']So after much nagging by my friends I decided to try buying this game again. Got to the phone verification step and this time had my phone with me. Entered my phone number and was told it wasn't valid. Alright, maybe I have to format it a certain way. Tried it again, same message. Decided to try my landline number since I read somewhere they want that. Then I was given a new error saying I had used up all my attempts at phone activation. All this to use their service when they have so many competitors its like they hate people giving them money.

I then sent d2d an expletive filled support ticket about their service and that whoever reads it can fuck themselves.

This was my first and last attempt to use d2d.[/QUOTE]

Steam isnt much better. Iv sent a ticket or two there and never heard back from them.

thankfully i've never had to deal with steam support but i hear it is god awful. the difference is that i can buy games from steam without them calling me on my phone, and when you accept it, it doesn't even work.

unless d2d sends me a reply sucking my dick and giving me the game free or something (which i doubt since whoever reads my support ticket will think i'm an asshole which is true) its over between us.

Am I the only one thats totally turned off by the fact that I have to wait by the phone just to buy an online game? (I never give my cell so my home phone would be it) Anyone know if theres a way to buy it without having to wait by the phone?

[quote name='tankass']Am I the only one thats totally turned off by the fact that I have to wait by the phone just to buy an online game? (I never give my cell so my home phone would be it) Anyone know if theres a way to buy it without having to wait by the phone?[/QUOTE]

I don't like it either. Don't see the point when no other online retailer I've ever dealt with does something like this. I just tried to buy Din's Curse, got to the phone verification and received this message...
"We could not validate your transaction. Please contact Customer Service to complete your purchase.

Unable to process request: An unexpected server error has occurred."

For Christ's sake, not a good way to win customers by making them deal with this crap.

[quote name='crystalklear64']All this to use their service when they have so many competitors its like they hate people giving them money.

I then sent d2d an expletive filled support ticket about their service and that whoever reads it can fuck themselves.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. They deserve to go belly up for making customers jump through all these hoops to buy a damn game.

I've bought several games before from D2D but this new phone verification system is just plain poo. I've tried paypal checkout on both IE and Firefox and can never get pass the phone verification error after inputting my phone number.

I don't feel like going through the hassle of support right now especially when I have to create a separate login to contact them.

D2D was a pretty easy to use and hassle free alternative to the other digital download services but this new system has definitely soured all the good impressions I've had of it.

I've never really had issues with D2D purchases before - also, unless something has changed, Comrade is not required to download/manage your games. Don't know why people would use that PoS interface.

Sorry you guys are running into so many problems :|

to d2d's credit, they responded to my support ticket within an hour and removed the need to do the phone service check. i'm still not buying the game from them but at least they were quick to respond and they did provide a solution.

I didn't have a problem when it came to the phone verification, which I only encountered the second time since I had to rebuy after boneheadedly grabbing the Mac version. It generates the call immediately, so there's no "waiting by the phone" as it is,, but it won't accept mobile numbers. That makes sense, since it would be utterly useless if it did, but assuming that everyone has a land line in this day and age is certainly laughable.

[quote name='DPsycho']I didn't have a problem when it came to the phone verification, which I only encountered the second time since I had to rebuy after boneheadedly grabbing the Mac version. It generates the call immediately, so there's no "waiting by the phone" as it is,, but it won't accept mobile numbers. That makes sense, since it would be utterly useless if it did, but assuming that everyone has a land line in this day and age is certainly laughable.[/QUOTE]

So if we don't have a land line, there's no way to get this game? What the hell kind of system is that?

[quote name='tankass']Am I the only one thats totally turned off by the fact that I have to wait by the phone just to buy an online game? (I never give my cell so my home phone would be it) Anyone know if theres a way to buy it without having to wait by the phone?[/QUOTE]

This is really odd because I didn't have to use the phone at all when purchasing this game via this deal. Has everyone else had to do this?

[quote name='morbitrius']So if we don't have a land line, there's no way to get this game? What the hell kind of system is that?[/QUOTE]

You could buy it from the devs Website very easily...you just would not get the discount. Maybe try messaging the developer. Express there is interest for a sale as D2D has shown...just people hate D2D.

D2D customer support lifted the phone activation so I was able to go ahead and get the game. Still an odd way to do business.

Just to see what would happen after all of this phone talk, I went ahead and purchased the game. I logged into my account, paid with paypal, and everything went smoothly. No mention of a phone call verification at all.

I guess I'm one of the few who didn't get forced into phone verification. Weird they'd start that all of a sudden. It's not like I'm a regular customer either. I think I've only bought like 3 things through them.

And I didn't notice until after Comrade was busy taking 10 minutes to launch/crash itself repeatedly in an attempt to get the game that it was unnecessary for downloads. >.> Many swears after that lol

The game was worth it though. I'm liking it a lot.

Just a reminder that you don't need to use their download client. You're given a direct download link in your account page, and this is what I use exclusively. Never had a problem by not using Commander.

bread's done
Back