gohastings hastings

• Please log in to reply
9093 replies to this topic

#271 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

Wow, used book prices went up considerably. I just looked through my wishlist on Friday, trying to figure out which books I'd be interested in purchasing during this sale. Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny in used paperback format went from $3.49 to $6.81, and The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson in hardcover went from $5.00 to $8.00. Only getting three books this time to finish off collections. My savings is $1.87, meh... :-(

#272 equality

equality

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

Man, I'm usually quick to pull the trigger if I can find stuff I'm interested in, but I'm hesitant this time.

Castlevania LoS, Enslaved, Skate 3 and Dead Rising 2 for 53 shipped and I can't pull the trigger for some reason.

#273 andycandy

andycandy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

ordered skate 3 for ps3 for 11.20

#274 akir

akir

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

gohastings went downhill fast.

Either 25% off games, or 96c shipping on games or $5 off 20.
all of those probably around the same amount in savings.

#275 equality

equality

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

I expected that to be the case too, but 25% off actually saves me 10 bucks over 96 cent shipping.

#276 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:49 AM

Eh.

Assuming you find one game over $20 to maximize the code, the percent off after shipping for $5 off $20 equals to about 22.4% for a total price of about $17.29. I believe that discount diminishes the more items you add because of each additional $2.28 shipping per item.

That same game is the same price after the 25% discount at $17.29. If you were to order two of the item, it makes more sense to use the 25% off as the $5 off $20 is obviously no longer that strong of a discount.

And 96 cent shipping is only a better deal than "25% off" for games priced under $5.32.

If anything, Hastings is running 30% off used games far less often (though I suspect we'll see it at least once during holiday shopping season soon), so 25% off might be the best "regular" promotional sale we see for a while.

What is clearly lazy and BS is the book price jack up. Its easily disputed with games but they definitely did it this time for the books.

#277 Duke.Togo

Duke.Togo

Game Tape Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:41 AM

I used the 25% off code to pick up some games off my wishlist. Grabbed Dragon Quest VI, Nostalgia, Magna Carta 2, and Crackdown 2. I've had good experiences with them before, so I hope that this set comes in good shape.

#278 buckythekat

buckythekat

dv8 King of Concerns

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:46 AM

grabbed Killzone 3 for $16.64 shipped

not sure what if anything else I'll grab

#279 Deadpool 3.0

Deadpool 3.0

Deadpool 3.0

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:18 AM

Tempted to get Captain America and Shadows Of The Damned. Each comes out to 19 and some change with shipping.

deadpool_signature_by_hsalpihw-d38xyht.p

#280 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:23 AM

Eh.

Assuming you find one game over $20 to maximize the code, the percent off after shipping for $5 off $20 equals to about 22.4% for a total price of about $17.29. I believe that discount diminishes the more items you add because of each additional $2.28 shipping per item.

That same game is the same price after the 25% discount at $17.29. If you were to order two of the item, it makes more sense to use the 25% off as the $5 off $20 is obviously no longer that strong of a discount.

And 96 cent shipping is only a better deal than "25% off" for games priced under $5.32.

If anything, Hastings is running 30% off used games far less often (though I suspect we'll see it at least once during holiday shopping season soon), so 25% off might be the best "regular" promotional sale we see for a while.

What is clearly lazy and BS is the book price jack up. Its easily disputed with games but they definitely did it this time for the books.

Lazy not really it's been like this the last couple of years

#281 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:26 AM

In the words of Rob Lowe's character on Parks and Rec, the 96 cent shipping code literally just expired.

#282 henry00x

henry00x

Chosen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:40 AM

picked up Gunstringer for $22.90 shipped

#283 urallgyots

urallgyots

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:20 AM

some incredible deals right now but I dont really have the time to play them until december so its pointless to buy now

enjoy

#284 GodOfUncharted

GodOfUncharted

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:35 AM

I'd be all over this deal if it was in the summer, but with so many games coming out soon and my backlog, I can't justify it. There will be even better deals near Black Friday.

#285 Zbornak

Zbornak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:38 AM

I picked up Zack & Wiki for $6.64 shipped using the .96 shipping code and the Sly Collection for $18.02 shipped using the 25% off code.
Posted Image

#286 equality

equality

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

Do books generally come in good shape from Hastings? I want to order a couple of hardcovers, but want to make sure they don't have a reputation of shipping stuff that's all beat up.

#287 jscme

jscme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

Do books generally come in good shape from Hastings? I want to order a couple of hardcovers, but want to make sure they don't have a reputation of shipping stuff that's all beat up.

It can vary. Almost all the hardcovers I have received have been in great shape. The dustjacket might be crinkled or may have some small tears at the edges, but no large tears. They ship in bubble mailers usually, so the corners may be bumped. I wouldn't go this route for a display copy of a book or anything, but they are just fine for reading copies. That said, I have gotten a few that look brand new. Paperback books have been a bit more of a toss-up. Most that I have gotten have been in very good shape, but a few have been beat up pretty good. All have been readable, though, and that is really all I expect out of a used book bought from the internet for cheap.

#288 GindoGuy

GindoGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

Careful, the code 'psycho' is one-use only. I learned the hard way when I tried to add some extra books I missed. Oh well, I would have only saved a dollar though...

#289 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

Careful, the code 'psycho' is one-use only. I learned the hard way when I tried to add some extra books I missed. Oh well, I would have only saved a dollar though...

Wow, thats surprising and lame. But are you sure? I used it once on DVDs and I added a random game to my cart and it applied the discount code. I didn't go further on the check out though.

I guess you could always create a new account to check out and not save credit card information to it.

#290 equality

equality

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

Boo, I guess that means I won't be checking back for more books later in the week. :(

#291 buckythekat

buckythekat

dv8 King of Concerns

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

it let me activate it in my cart again

#292 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hmm....would be backlog purchases only right now, and I'm guessing we'll see 30% or maybe 40% by Christmas...I'll wait.

#293 boogie4114

boogie4114

Enthusiastic Gamer!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:28 AM

Picked up Shadows of the Damned for $20 and Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics for $10 on the DS even though my backlog is close to 40 games deep. I've been waiting for Shadows on the cheap for awhile.

#294 Juese

Juese

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:03 AM

Got Dragon Quest VI for $15 shipped. They e-mailed me a $5 coupon but it's in-store only and I live nowhere near one. Anyone who wants it just send me message.

#295 buckythekat

buckythekat

dv8 King of Concerns

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:04 AM

I can confirm this is not the case, I have placed two orders using the code

#296 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:26 AM

I can confirm this is not the case, I have placed two orders using the code

Me too.

#297 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:38 AM

yeah picked up some rare cheap games. shadows of the damned $18, knight's contract $15, x-men destiny for $30(lol) im happy

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#298 GindoGuy

GindoGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:12 AM

Okay, nvm. I got the code to work again. I had to click on the 'apply code button' instead of pushing enter on the keyboard. Now I feel stupid.

#299 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

Got this in my email today:

Posted Image

Promo Code WICKED gets you 40% off qualifying titles. The list is HERE... But there is 10,356 pages of book choices, so I imagine its 40% off all books unless this is an error and they later fix it.

Its a good deal if they hadn't jacked up most book prices prior to the sale this week.

#300 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

Come on, Hastings, make up your damn minds. I just ordered yesterday. :-(

I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not, but I think used book prices went up from yesterday to compensate for this new 40% off code. WICKED works with the manga and fantasy books in my cart, so I'd say it's good for most books. Still not a bad deal if you want to pick up some manga/graphic novels.