gohastings hastings

• Please log in to reply
9102 replies to this topic

#6331 supershammy

supershammy

Hand-rolled and ice cold.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

Yeah. I ordered a particular 6 book series and the first 5 books were expensive. So I got those out right away then debated back and forth about what other 4 books to get with that last book from the series. I guess its possible any of those first 5 could have gone OOS while I was deciding on the other 4 books.

The reason I wish I had done all 10 on one order is because I'm like 95% certain that series is going to ship from the same store. For all 6 of these books to be in stock at the same time makes me think someone just traded in their collection to Hastings. And I think these books are a decent size so Hastings is going to have to spring for a box, I pray. If all 6 books are coming from the same store I'd hope the employee would notice my two orders and put all 6 in the same box, rather than do 5 in a box and 1 in a bubble mailer or whatever. (I have a sinking bad feeling they're going to jam at least 5 of the books in one of those giant bubble mailers and the bubble mailer and the books are going to arrived damaged.) But I don't know if their computer allows for combining shipments like that. I somehow doubt it, given how shitty their system is.

Swamp Thing isn't abnormally sized; I have three of the hardcovers you ordered, and they're the average GN size and thickness. Good luck with whatever they ship them in, Book Three is pretty valuable.

#6332 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

Swamp Thing isn't abnormally sized; I have three of the hardcovers you ordered, and they're the average GN size and thickness. Good luck with whatever they ship them in, Book Three is pretty valuable.

Yeah I meant "decent size" in terms of it being 5-6 HCs. I know they're not oversized. If they shipped 5 together, that's still 4+ inches thick. Buy 5 New 52 DC softcovers and I'd be surprised if they were more than a couple inches thick stacked on each other. I've never had anything that size survive Hastings extra large bubble mailers intact. Especially when multiple things are sliding around and causing different tear points. That's why I'm hoping that if they even ship, they come in a box. Plus I ordered several oversized hardcover books, and if somehow those are at the same location, that's going to add to the stress of a bubble mailer with multiple items. Then I'd really need a box.

#6333 Tarheel76

Tarheel76

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I wonder since tomorrow is known as "Free Shipping Day" for a lot of online retailers that aren't currently offering free shipping for guaranteed Xmas delivery, if GoHastings will sneak that in tomorrow with a special code.
Kinda interesting that they don't have an expiration of the "Nutcracker" code currently.

Things that make you go "hmmmmm".

*fingers crossed*

#6334 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

I wonder since tomorrow is known as "Free Shipping Day" for a lot of online retailers that aren't currently offering free shipping for guaranteed Xmas delivery, if GoHastings will sneak that in tomorrow with a special code.
Kinda interesting that they don't have an expiration of the "Nutcracker" code currently.

*fingers crossed*

I've got my fingers crossed for that, too. I've been eyeing a few games and DVDs, but my goal is the lowest price I can get, and I'm not keen on their shipping rates.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#6335 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

*fingers crossed*

What other online retailers? I've just never heard of this.

And Hastings has often stopped putting out expiration dates for their promotions. I assume because that encourages people to wait until the last minute instead of buying immediately. This also makes it harder to predict the next sales and their durations.

#6336 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

Use code "SUGARPLUMS" for free shipping, valid 12/17 only.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#6337 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

Don't know if it's a glitch or what but some vita games are on sale for $3.99 and $5.99 (out of stock however). So keep an eye out for it just in case it comes back in stock.
Touch my Katamari $3.99
Shinobido 2 $3.99
F1 2011 $5.99

#6338 Blade

Blade

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition was in my cart for $2.96 until I went to check out, when it shot up to $13.67.

That's some bullshit.

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,

#6339 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition was in my cart for $2.96 until I went to check out, when it shot up to $13.67.

That's some bullshit.

Heh, I was just about to say the same about some of the items I had in my cart; I wasn't quite sure if I wanted them yet and was browsing for other stuff. Guess GoHastings made up my mind for me.

#6340 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

That's some bullshit.

It looks like you may have been caught right after their system did price updates, which for used things are usually based on their algorithms on Amazon. You can see here that they've priced themselves right below the next available "Very Good" copy: http://www.amazon.co...&condition=used

Sucks on the timing of all of that.

#6341 Blade

Blade

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

And here's another one. I was deciding whether or not to order more copies of this for resale, but as I tried to add them to my cart they unexpectedly ran out of stock...

Mass Effect 3 N7 Collector's Edition - NEW - $11.99

Anyway, I'll let you guys know if they honor the one copy I ordered.

Best,

#6342 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

It looks like you may have been caught right after their system did price updates, which for used things are usually based on their algorithms on Amazon. You can see here that they've priced themselves right below the next available "Very Good" copy: http://www.amazon.co...&condition=used

Sucks on the timing of all of that.

That doesn't always seem to be the best explanation for the price changes. Some of the games that were in my cart all jumped up around $2 a short while after the free shipping promo started, but their prices haven't changed on Amazon at all.

Example: Final Fantasy XIII on 360 was around $6.96 when it was first in my cart, then jumped to $8.59 a few minutes after the promo started. It's still $6.96 (plus the usual $3.99 shipping, of course) on Amazon.

I'm not upset about it (nothing I'm dying to buy), but it seems like some items shift upwards to offset part of the savings you get from promos like this.

#6343 Komentra

Komentra

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

Out of stock. Out of stock. Out of stock. This is extremely annoying.

If something is out of stock how about just making it where it doesn't show up? Or at least add a god damn filter so we can click in stock items only. Ugh.

komentra.png card.png

LAST 3 GAMES FINISHED: D4: Season 1 [X1], inFAMOUS: First Light [PS4], Metro Last Light Redux [PS4]

CLICK HERE TO JOIN "SUPERPOINTS" AND EARN AMAZON GIFT CARDS (SITE IS INVITE ONLY, THIS IS A INVITE LINK)
(make sure to click the "lucky" button everyday, takes about 3 mins and you can win big sometimes. you also win points when i win points and vice versa)

#6344 ckc4043

ckc4043

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Is assassin creed brotherhood worth $10.32 for used? I want to pick it up, but I am afraid it is out of stock next time although it has 30% off deal.

#6345 billydeewilliams

billydeewilliams

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

is it just me or is shopping cart not working? trying to add things and they arent being added...

#6346 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

Gaming Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Man Gohastings is slacking with the deals lately. Where are my 30% off any item sales?

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#6347 DukeMagnem

DukeMagnem

Dean of All True Men

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Looks like all the games that qualify for the buy one get one 40% off sale are full blown retail prices from 2010. :(

The prices are bad and GoHastings should feel bad. There's just no justification for it... poor excuses, maybe... but not justification. Games are ABOVE new MSRP here when the same thing is $15-$20 on Amazon.

#6348 ckc4043

ckc4043

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Assassin brotherhood....well..I decide to pass..

#6349 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

That doesn't always seem to be the best explanation for the price changes. Some of the games that were in my cart all jumped up around $2 a short while after the free shipping promo started, but their prices haven't changed on Amazon at all.

Example: Final Fantasy XIII on 360 was around $6.96 when it was first in my cart, then jumped to $8.59 a few minutes after the promo started. It's still $6.96 (plus the usual $3.99 shipping, of course) on Amazon.

I'm not upset about it (nothing I'm dying to buy), but it seems like some items shift upwards to offset part of the savings you get from promos like this.

That's one example. Do you have more examples of games being priced approximately $2 higher suddenly when compared with the Amazon price that makes this an actual pattern rather than an outlying anomaly? Because nothing gaming related - new and used - on my wish list has changed in price, so this wouldn't be an "across the board" type deception. (And the Amazon price isn't exactly the same as the Hastings price, but they're almost always in the same dollar range with usually just spare change being the difference.)

Does it sound sensible that Hastings would actually take the time to have an employee go through and pick certain games to raise the prices on? Why something like FFXIII of all things? Or did they run some kind of command to raise prices on the top X number of best selling games? I'm not saying they didn't or its impossible, it just seems very unlikely they took the time and effort to go through the effort of price raising to offset a promotion's discount, especially for a one day promotion.

And I don't mean to come off as attacking you, especially since you're just trying to figure out the meaning behind what you see as opposed to people that come in bitching and moaning about price raising scams and whatnot. But every time some other yahoo comes into the thread claiming price raising during sales, there is never any real evidence of it - its just someone mad that the game they wanted rose in price due to the change in current market pricing and that change in price coincidentally happened at the start of a sale. The better evidenced incidents of Hastings raising prices for/during a sale have been OBVIOUS and they were easily spotted and called out on. And off the top of my head I can only think of a couple of those incidents over the past few years. And the last of those two incidents, Hastings claimed it was an error and not intentional and I believe they went and fixed it.

#6350 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

picked up bionic commando for 3 bucks

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#6351 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Woah, I got a large reply for that one. It looks like all of the GoHastings games that didn't change on Amazon actually did change to match their site's prices since I last replied, so there goes my idea, anyway. Looks like the idea that they match Amazon according to condition works for at least FFXIII, too, because now it's sitting right under another 'Very Good' game.

Like I was saying as well, not everything jumped in price (just, conveniently enough for me, three things I was thinking about buying - I have good luck like that). I love GoHastings, just usually not for games thanks to the $2.xx shipping and the fact that I tend to go for the lowest priced games (which means shipping sometimes costs more than the contents of my cart).

Anyway, grabbed FFIV Complete for ~$5 (well, hopefully - it's now showing out of stock, although my order hasn't been cancelled so far) and a Rock Band Track pack for ~$3. Hoping I get lucky and get one with another export code like last time.

#6352 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

All I know is that Prince of Persia HD Collection is still $33, and has been for what seems like over a year...

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#6353 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

I don't see what's so appealing about free shipping. When we regularly get sales ranging from 25%-40% off, I find this deal very unattractive. I guess it's decent if you're buying a lot of games, which I usually don't, but still.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#6354 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Most people are turned off by $2.28 shipping per game, so free shipping should appeal to the sheeple in this category.

#6355 Blade

Blade

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Most people are turned off by $2.28 shipping per game, so free shipping should appeal to the sheeple in this category.

I can't believe you actually used the term "sheeple" like it has contextual meaning. :lol:

Free shipping is 43% off a game priced at $2.96. And it's 40% off anything $3.42, and there's no minimum to buy. It's good for cheap games, although the last one a few months ago was better because games were listed for less. The $2.96 minimum is a new thing, meaning free shipping isn't as good as it used to be.

Best,

#6356 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

That's why there is a giant deal comparison tool in the first post so you can compare the temptation of free shipping against other commonly run promotions to see what a good price point to maximize the deal's discount is. Free Shipping is a pretty safe bet for sub-$8 games.

But I do feel like there are a large number of people out there who don't understand how math works and are more likely to buy a higher priced game from Hastings during Free Shipping thinking they're getting a better deal than during 30% Off.

#6357 hamokmonky

hamokmonky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

That's why there is a giant deal comparison tool in the first post so you can compare the temptation of free shipping against other commonly run promotions to see what a good price point to maximize the deal's discount is. Free Shipping is a pretty safe bet for sub-$8 games.

But I do feel like there are a large number of people out there who don't understand how math works and are more likely to buy a higher priced game from Hastings during Free Shipping thinking they're getting a better deal than during 30% Off.

haha, yea, just like theres probably people out there that think free shipping for dvds is an awesome deal... its only 96 cents to begin with, so unless you are buying lots of really low priced ticket items, its not worth it....

#6358 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Man they jacked up the prices on these cheap games. I remember getting Medal of Honor for like $2 during the last free shipping sale, now it's $4.99. It's like that across the board.

#6359 Skydude

Skydude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Man, every time free shipping comes around, it seems like I already have everything I'm interested in that's cheap there.
Posted Image

#6360 Blade

Blade

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

Just wanted to say that my three games shipped today, including the Mass Effect 3 N7 Collector's Edition for $11.99. That seems like a great price for the game plus all the extras that come with it.

Spoiler

Best,