gohastings hastings

• Please log in to reply
9093 replies to this topic

#6751 marginal

marginal

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

I'm pretty sure they restocked between 1:30-1:45 a.m. Central; I was looking at the site, it went to the "We're sorry" page for about a minute, and when it came back, a few things had changed slightly in price and a few new things showed up.

Pickings have felt a little slim to me, but then again, I've just about cleaned them out of most everything I had an interest in.

#6752 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Has Hastings been restocking later than usual of late? Feels like the pickings have been kind of slim.

I'm pretty sure they restocked between 1:30-1:45 a.m. Central; I was looking at the site, it went to the "We're sorry" page for about a minute, and when it came back, a few things had changed slightly in price and a few new things showed up.

Pickings have felt a little slim to me, but then again, I've just about cleaned them out of most everything I had an interest in.

It's just been slim because people are sniping them just as they come back, so unless you stalk the restock you won't be seeing much by the time you wake up.

I've gotten in tons of orders every night on stuff I want, but just like marginal I've also cleaned them out pretty well already. ^__^

mew.gif?t=1406933044mew2.gif?t=1406933043

#6753 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Has anyone ever had any luck getting a partial refund from Hastings?

I previously mentioned I received a copy of Absolute Hush that was supposed to be brand new but arrived damaged. I would like to keep it in its damaged condition if they gave me some kind of partial refund to reflect the fact what I received wasn't in brand new shape. I emailed CS and asked them that, but of course I just got a stock reply to return it.

The way I see it, it cost them $3.80 in postage to ship it to me after you factor in the $0.96 shipping I paid. If I return the book, it's now going to cost them $4.98. Then if they re-sell the book over the internet, it's going to cost them at least another $4.98 if not more. And then when that customer notices their brand new book is damaged, that's another $4.98 on the return to them. That's roughly $18 in postage should they go through that cycle. Even if the other customer doesn't return the book, it's still about $13 in postage. My postage rates are all based on the discounted media mail rate too. If Hastings is paying full fare it's even more money.

I don't understand why they wouldn't just offer me a partial refund of at least $5 to $10 (if not more for some good will) rather than deal with the hassle of returns on both ends and the cost of re-shipping the book. The book is only going to get more damaged if I return it in the same bubble mailer they sent it to me in.

I had bought a used Secret Warriors Omnibus for the second time around and they shipped me the very same soda/coffee stained one they sent me the first time, except now its even more worn out because of its trips through the mail. It was like $5 both ways the first time around. Then another $5 to send it to me again, and now the rate is up to nearly $5.50 when they get it back again. Subtract the $0.96 shipping or whatever and Hastings has now spent about $18 shuttling this book back and forth. It had a $50 store sticker on the back of it, so if they sell it in store they're only making $32 profit less whatever they actually gave someone for the initial trade in. I paid ~$45 the first time around and ~$35 the second time around. If they sell it to someone else for say, $45 online, they're getting less than $22 after they eat the cost of shipping a 6 pound book again because that doesn't factor in what they paid for the trade in in the first place.

This company is pretty much flushing money down the toilet by not properly checking their inventory and not properly shipping their inventory. I could honestly understand sending a $1 DVD shipped in a poly bag, but sending $50 large heavy collector items in bubble mailers is just stupid business practices. And it's kind of absurd they don't see the value in offering at least a measly $5 in compensation for an error they made when the costs of their solution are higher in various ways.

#6754 hamokmonky

hamokmonky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

i have been offered partial refunds on dvd/bluray box sets where one disc was damaged, however Ive only ever taken the offer once (because the damage was really minor), I mean who wants a box set that has a defective dvd they cant watch, what would be the point in that.... Never tried for a partial refund, even book Ive ordered from hastings has come pristine or close to it (here is where I knock on wood).

#6755 whitereflection

whitereflection

Shake well before serving

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

You're asking us? If anyone's the authority on GoHastings, it's you. No sarcasm.

#6756 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

You're asking us? If anyone's the authority on GoHastings, it's you. No sarcasm.

Possibly true. I don't sit in on conference calls with them though, so there are others who know things I don't. I just try to gather that collective knowledge for everyone here on CAG.

#6757 supershammy

supershammy

Hand-rolled and ice cold.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Has anyone ever had any luck getting a partial refund from Hastings?

I previously mentioned I received a copy of Absolute Hush that was supposed to be brand new but arrived damaged. I would like to keep it in its damaged condition if they gave me some kind of partial refund to reflect the fact what I received wasn't in brand new shape. I emailed CS and asked them that, but of course I just got a stock reply to return it.

The way I see it, it cost them $3.80 in postage to ship it to me after you factor in the $0.96 shipping I paid. If I return the book, it's now going to cost them $4.98. Then if they re-sell the book over the internet, it's going to cost them at least another $4.98 if not more. And then when that customer notices their brand new book is damaged, that's another $4.98 on the return to them. That's roughly $18 in postage should they go through that cycle. Even if the other customer doesn't return the book, it's still about $13 in postage. My postage rates are all based on the discounted media mail rate too. If Hastings is paying full fare it's even more money.

I don't understand why they wouldn't just offer me a partial refund of at least $5 to $10 (if not more for some good will) rather than deal with the hassle of returns on both ends and the cost of re-shipping the book. The book is only going to get more damaged if I return it in the same bubble mailer they sent it to me in.

I had bought a used Secret Warriors Omnibus for the second time around and they shipped me the very same soda/coffee stained one they sent me the first time, except now its even more worn out because of its trips through the mail. It was like $5 both ways the first time around. Then another $5 to send it to me again, and now the rate is up to nearly $5.50 when they get it back again. Subtract the $0.96 shipping or whatever and Hastings has now spent about $18 shuttling this book back and forth. It had a $50 store sticker on the back of it, so if they sell it in store they're only making $32 profit less whatever they actually gave someone for the initial trade in. I paid ~$45 the first time around and ~$35 the second time around. If they sell it to someone else for say, $45 online, they're getting less than $22 after they eat the cost of shipping a 6 pound book again because that doesn't factor in what they paid for the trade in in the first place.

This company is pretty much flushing money down the toilet by not properly checking their inventory and not properly shipping their inventory. I could honestly understand sending a $1 DVD shipped in a poly bag, but sending $50 large heavy collector items in bubble mailers is just stupid business practices. And it's kind of absurd they don't see the value in offering at least a measly $5 in compensation for an error they made when the costs of their solution are higher in various ways.

I once received Lost Girls, in hardcover, and it came with the spine ripped about two inches down from the top, and with a price sticker that listed it at a quarter of the price it sold for online. I emailed them saying it came severely damaged, and that on top of that I was sort of insulted that I had apparently overpaid for this damaged book. In saying that I was doubly upset about the product I received, they just refunded me right off the bat. In the future, I'd recommend coming off as being severely disappointed rather than suggesting an opportunity for them to please you, as that apparently worked out for me, as I now own a free copy of Lost Girls, damaged though it may be.

#6758 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I once received Lost Girls, in hardcover, and it came with the spine ripped about two inches down from the top, and with a price sticker that listed it at a quarter of the price it sold for online. I emailed them saying it came severely damaged, and that on top of that I was sort of insulted that I had apparently overpaid for this damaged book. In saying that I was doubly upset about the product I received, they just refunded me right off the bat. In the future, I'd recommend coming off as being severely disappointed rather than suggesting an opportunity for them to please you, as that apparently worked out for me, as I now own a free copy of Lost Girls, damaged though it may be.

Their in store prices seem to be fairly reasonably on most items. If you ever notice on products you receive from online orders, the shipping department generally tears off the whole in-store price sticker. Sometimes they get lazy and just tear off the part of the sticker with the price on it. But sometimes they forget all together and then you can see how much you saved or how much you kinda-sorta-theoretically overpayed. But you have to remember you only would have got that item at that sticker price if you lived in that specific small-to-mid region that Hastings serves and you happened to walk into the store and spot that item - basically, the odds of you getting that book for that sticker price are insanely low, so you can't really think of the sticker price as a real price point. But if they leave the sticker on, it obviously can help you when voicing your displeasure with CS.

They are a business, so if they want to price things online at the market rate (or at least Amazon Marketplace's market rate), that's what they should do to make money. But when they're charging market rate, they better damn well deliver on a product in a quality that matches that market price. Which unfortunately they don't do a lot of the time, as you experienced and as I experienced.

#6759 cjenvy

cjenvy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

for the 1st time in a while my order is taking some time to ship

#6760 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

First post updated.

#6761 supershammy

supershammy

Hand-rolled and ice cold.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Their in store prices seem to be fairly reasonably on most items. If you ever notice on products you receive from online orders, the shipping department generally tears off the whole in-store price sticker. Sometimes they get lazy and just tear off the part of the sticker with the price on it. But sometimes they forget all together and then you can see how much you saved or how much you kinda-sorta-theoretically overpayed. But you have to remember you only would have got that item at that sticker price if you lived in that specific small-to-mid region that Hastings serves and you happened to walk into the store and spot that item - basically, the odds of you getting that book for that sticker price are insanely low, so you can't really think of the sticker price as a real price point. But if they leave the sticker on, it obviously can help you when voicing your displeasure with CS.

They are a business, so if they want to price things online at the market rate (or at least Amazon Marketplace's market rate), that's what they should do to make money. But when they're charging market rate, they better damn well deliver on a product in a quality that matches that market price. Which unfortunately they don't do a lot of the time, as you experienced and as I experienced.

I get that, but the book was priced at $75 online and the in-store price was about $20. I wasn't looking for an explanation from them, all I was saying was that they coulda avoided raising ire with me by removing the price tag. That's all I was irked about. This is the email I sent them which netted a refund:

Hello, I placed an order for multiple books and am dissatisfied with the condition of one of them, which I would like to return.

1 Lost Girls $52.44 9449XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This book came with severe damage to the spine. How can I begin the return process?

As an aside, the book came with a pricetag on the back saying it was priced in-store at ~$23. Given that this book was priced at ~$75 online (I purchased it using a coupon code), it would have been monumentally frustrating to me if I were keeping this book to have found that I was charged triple what someone who walked in and picked it up would have paid, especially considering that customer would have been privy to the condition the book was in prior to deciding to buy it.

Thank you for your help,

- Nick

#6762 cjenvy

cjenvy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

hey kodave am i oblivious or is there no easy way to search for 3ds exclusively

#6763 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

hey kodave am i oblivious or is there no easy way to search for 3ds exclusively

No, I don't think they've created a link for that Platform type. "Other Platforms" is GameCube/Xbox 1/PS1. 3DS games don't show up under "Nintendo DS." I don't think they've bothered to create Vita or Wii U categories either. If you see any kind of promotion for just 3DS games, bookmark that link because that might be the closest you'll get in terms of easy sorting. The next best option seems to be searching "3DS" then just limiting it to the Video Games category.

#6764 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Possibly true. I don't sit in on conference calls with them though, so there are others who know things I don't. I just try to gather that collective knowledge for everyone here on CAG.

It''s also the luck of the draw as to who reads your email. I haven't gotten any refund before but you're essentially dealing with a rank and file employee. They''re going to enforce the damaged items protocol even though common sense would advise a partial refund.

Is the promo code toones expired for games already? Damn some games are back in stock that i wanted to use it on.

#6765 hamokmonky

hamokmonky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

yea, toonces expired between yesterday and today. I was disappointed since something I wanted came back in stock today.

#6766 BrandonJ33

BrandonJ33

Alex Anderson

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Sweet, ordered a 24-disc DVD set last go round with the 40% off 4 items deal and got some similarly titled 2-disc set instead. Waited to reorder once the deal rolled around again and... they did it again. I called this time thinking my chances would be better than emailing but try as I might, shipping label treatment again.

Time to write the CEO address in the OP. I understand making mistakes, but refusing to do anything helpful about it like "send me the correct item, please" "I can't, I'm just in a call center. They blah blah blah" "..." is pretty crappy.

I bet if I'd bought it from eBay or Amazon from them they'd at least try and make an effort since they have a feedback score I'd think they'd want to keep decent.

</rant>

#6767 hamokmonky

hamokmonky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Sweet, ordered a 24-disc DVD set last go round with the 40% off 4 items deal and got some similarly titled 2-disc set instead. Waited to reorder once the deal rolled around again and... they did it again. I called this time thinking my chances would be better than emailing but try as I might, shipping label treatment again.

Time to write the CEO address in the OP. I understand making mistakes, but refusing to do anything helpful about it like "send me the correct item, please" "I can't, I'm just in a call center. They blah blah blah" "..." is pretty crappy.

I bet if I'd bought it from eBay or Amazon from them they'd at least try and make an effort since they have a feedback score I'd think they'd want to keep decent.

</rant>

sadly, ordering from amazon or ebay from them will result in the same quality control as from their site. Trust me, Ive done it before. Ordered a 6 disc set, and it came with the artwork chopped up into a single disc case with disc 4 of the six disc set inside... clearly labeled DISC FOUR. How you miss that one I dont know. But yea, ordered from amazon because it was half the price of their site at the time. At least returns on amazon are faster and dont require calling.

#6768 BrandonJ33

BrandonJ33

Alex Anderson

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

sadly, ordering from amazon or ebay from them will result in the same quality control as from their site. Trust me, Ive done it before. Ordered a 6 disc set, and it came with the artwork chopped up into a single disc case with disc 4 of the six disc set inside... clearly labeled DISC FOUR. How you miss that one I dont know. But yea, ordered from amazon because it was half the price of their site at the time. At least returns on amazon are faster and dont require calling.

Heh, at least they're consistent I guess. Thanks for the info.

#6769 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

No idea if the prices are any good, but they're advertising some CE's on clearance. Link in the first post.

#6770 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

yea, toonces expired between yesterday and today. I was disappointed since something I wanted came back in stock today.

rats. thanks.

Now playing:

:ps4: Last of Us: Remastered
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: Gears of War 3

#6771 cjenvy

cjenvy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

No idea if the prices are any good, but they're advertising some CE's on clearance. Link in the first post.

splinter cell conviction mafia 2 and sfxt prices are decent but nothing to write home about and are also available on amazon

#6772 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Those are prettttttyyy bad for clearance prices.

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#6773 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Okay, well, GoHastings is testing my patience. First of all, I received a reply from the USPS about the problem I'm having with my Walking Dead Compendiums never showing up (it's sad when the USPS replies before you do; i.e. I've sent an email to GH about it as well and they haven't replied in almost three days now) and they said that they never received the package from GH.

I always thought the 'shipment accepted' portion of the tracking info meant that the post office had received it, but evidently it doesn't. It's been fifteen days, and I'm a little angry now; I get the feeling I'm not getting those books for $20, which I wouldn't have been too upset about. The fact that they've kept me on the hook for over two weeks, after taking my payment, is what's angering me.

Here's the tracking information, if it's of any interest to you: https://tools.usps.c...200830671250016

#6774 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Okay, well, GoHastings is testing my patience. First of all, I received a reply from the USPS about the problem I'm having with my Walking Dead Compendiums never showing up (it's sad when the USPS replies before you do; i.e. I've sent an email to GH about it as well and they haven't replied in almost three days now) and they said that they never received the package from GH.

I always thought the 'shipment accepted' portion of the tracking info meant that the post office had received it, but evidently it doesn't. It's been fifteen days, and I'm a little angry now; I get the feeling I'm not getting those books for $20, which I wouldn't have been too upset about. The fact that they've kept me on the hook for over two weeks, after taking my payment, is what's angering me.

Here's the tracking information, if it's of any interest to you: https://tools.usps.c...200830671250016

It sounds like the Post Office is the one bullshitting you in this case:

• Scan Events – Tracking InformationAs your mailpiece travels to its destination, postal employees scan the mailpiece when it is accepted; when it arrives or leaves a postal facility, and when it is in the process of being delivered. These scan events can then be viewed by using the Track & Confirm function on usps.com®.
    A description of the most common scan information that you may see when tracking a package is as follows:

• “Electronic Shipping Info Received” – This scan indicates that the shipper has notified the Postal Service™ that they intend to submit the item for processing and delivery.
  • “Acceptance” –This scan indicates that a Postal Service employee has accepted the item at a Post Office or that the carrier has picked up the item at a customer’s residence/business.

How else would it be able to update to "Accepted" if it wasn't scanned by someone at the Post Office?

I assume Hastings isn't going to do shit and would just refund you, but you could try calling the TWIN FALLS, ID 83301 Post Office and ask them to find the package. Or fill out a complaint with the US Postal Inspection Service.

#6775 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I was thinking about the fact that it said accepted, too, but if the USPS is going to pass the buck, what can I do about it? I wonder if calling will actually get anything done - from my experiences, most just don't really care about your problem and want to get you off the line as soon as possible.

I think I'll try filling out a complaint and see if that does anything. If not, then I'll prod Hastings for a refund (provided they ever answer the email I already sent them).

#6776 cjenvy

cjenvy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

I was thinking about the fact that it said accepted, too, but if the USPS is going to pass the buck, what can I do about it? I wonder if calling will actually get anything done - from my experiences, most just don't really care about your problem and want to get you off the line as soon as possible.

I think I'll try filling out a complaint and see if that does anything. If not, then I'll prod Hastings for a refund (provided they ever answer the email I already sent them).

just call them you should never ever ever never ever never bother to email hastings

#6777 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Funnily enough, I just received a reply to my email to Hastings and they're giving me a refund already. If I somehow end up getting the books, I'll have essentially gotten them for free. Bah. I doubt they'd let me repay for it if I asked, right?

#6778 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Funnily enough, I just received a reply to my email to Hastings and they're giving me a refund already. If I somehow end up getting the books, I'll have essentially gotten them for free. Bah. I doubt they'd let me repay for it if I asked, right?

I really doubt they have a way of letting you repay for them unless they reversed the reverse charges.

Just fill out this form minus the "suspect" areas:
https://postalinspec...s/MLNtRcvd.aspx

Don't forget to include the tracking number

It seems like your books would have shipped from this store:
Hastings Entertainment
870 Blue Lakes Blvd N
Twin Falls, ID 83301

but the return address on the box/envelope will say:
goHastings Customer Service
3601 Plains Blvd
Amarillo TX 79102-0000

So you should probably note that in the comments section.

That will be your best shot at getting the package moving through the system again. If it does, congrats, you took the effort to get the package moving again which Hastings didn't - enjoy your free books. If nothing comes of it, at least you got your refund.

#6779 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I got Absolute Dark Victory in today and was happy to see that it came in a box wrapped in bubbled wrap. The book is in pretty great condition do, with the exception of a few minor dings on the slipcase.

#6780 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

I really doubt they have a way of letting you repay for them unless they reversed the reverse charges.

Just fill out this form minus the "suspect" areas:
https://postalinspec...s/MLNtRcvd.aspx

Don't forget to include the tracking number

It seems like your books would have shipped from this store:
Hastings Entertainment
870 Blue Lakes Blvd N
Twin Falls, ID 83301

but the return address on the box/envelope will say:
goHastings Customer Service
3601 Plains Blvd
Amarillo TX 79102-0000

So you should probably note that in the comments section.

That will be your best shot at getting the package moving through the system again. If it does, congrats, you took the effort to get the package moving again which Hastings didn't - enjoy your free books. If nothing comes of it, at least you got your refund.

Thanks for the help. I already used the link you posted a few pages back, though, and put the Twin Falls, ID Hastings store as the sender address after looking it up on their site. I hope that doesn't cause a problem down the road for my claim.

I also put in the info for what the package should contain (e.g. The Walking Dead Compendium and The Walking Dead Compendium Vol. 2), so hopefully that'll somehow help. Same with the tracking info.

Odd how a large package like that can somehow become lost. Wonder how it happens.