* * * * - 15 votes

GoHastings Deals Thread - The Sale Drought Continues

gohastings hastings

• Please log in to reply
9106 replies to this topic

#2041 the_ENEMY_

the_ENEMY_

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

I believe that shipping is fair, but if I order multiple items there should be a discount on shipping. If I get 10 games they could give me half price shipping or so, and throw them all in 1 box. Don't care if it takes an extra few days to get here.
Posted Image

#2042 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

25-Star General of the PSNOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

Got my Jak and Daxter Collection with everything and in perfect condition. For my first purchase from GoHastings, I'm impressed.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (9/25/14): Don't Tell Me What to Do, Pharm!

#2043 ShinSolidus

ShinSolidus

El Guapo Jr.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

I can't seem to stay away from Gohastings. Went back and picked up Test Drive Unlimited 2 for $7.20. I have to force myself to not go to that site. They are brutalizing my wallet!

card.pngShin_Solidus.png

Feel free to add me! Just let me know you're from CAG, please.

#2044 electrichead

electrichead

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Got my copies of SFxT and mortal kombat vs dc. MKvsDC is actually a brand new copy of the hits version so that was cool. And SFxT looks almost brand new as well. Came with everything. Much better than my last order.

#2045 kodave

kodave

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

I believe that shipping is fair, but if I order multiple items there should be a discount on shipping. If I get 10 games they could give me half price shipping or so, and throw them all in 1 box. Don't care if it takes an extra few days to get here.

But that doesn't make any sense. Hastings operates 146 different stores across the country. If you ordered 10 games, they could come from 10 different locations. You'd either have to have each store ship it to one central store, or have all the stores ship it to a central warehouse (like the place where they have returns mailed to).

You not only have to pay people to deal with online orders in the store, but you have to pay people to work in the central location to sort all of these packages from the stores and then re-ship them out to individuals. Or you'd back up the "Go Ship" department in store if employees had to take the time to not only ship out their store items to other stores, but then re-send out out re-combined orders too. And chances are, sending items to other stores on an individual basis isn't very cost effective. You'd face longer delays than you think if stores have to wait until they have a sufficient number of items to ship to the central location or another store before the items are re-combined and shipped out to customers. You have to pay for shipping materials to send stuff from one store to a central location, then again to ship to the customer. And then there's the added cost of double shipping on Hastings - once from the store to the central location, then again from the central location to you.

And you want a DISCOUNT for that? I don't think that's the way it works.

And if you say, "Well why doesn't Hastings make a central warehouse location to sell used games (and other stuff) out of? That way I could get a multiple item shipping discount." If they do that, then you're looking at essentially the same system GameStop has. And we'd be left with far less selection because the individual stores would have to pick and choose what games stay in store and what games go to the warehouse to online. There's always games on GameStop.Com that aren't available online but are available in store. Luckily with GameStop there's a location in every mini-mall. Hastings has under 150 stores and are closing more all the time. After a trade in occurs, within 48-72 hours the item goes online since it didn't sell from the store, and we all have the opportunity to buy it. And I'd wager most people that post in this thread don't even have a Hastings remotely near them. I'd have to drive hundreds of miles to another state to get to my closest one. It's not really a GameStop situation where most people could pick off the trade ins in-store before they go online or are shipped to a central location. Plus, have you ever seen the price stickers for in store items? They charge a shit ton more in store than they do online. I just bought a game for $6.60 shipped from them that had an $17.99 in store price sticker on it. The current Hastings model favors us online shoppers having a wider selection of items and better prices than in store, especially if we can buy during something like a 30% off sale.

Plus, if you've ever shipped one single game using something like eBay/PayPal discounted shipping, the cost is at least just under $2 if not more. $2.28 - included a bubble mailer to mail it in - seems to be a fair cost of sending individual games and is likely calculated to be that. After all, why would they charge something as random as $2.28 otherwise?

Could Hastings adjust your order price on the back end and refund you a certain amount if multiple games ship from the same location? Perhaps. But they're a business. A lot of places online charge shipping fees that don't match the actual costs of shipping individual items or several items in one box. Have you looked at eBay? So many sellers are trying to skim extra profit by charging $4.99 to ship a single game.

And while Hastings has a wide selection and sells many popular products like books, movies, music, games, etc., they're a very small operation. They're not Amazon, WalMart, Best Buy, GameStop, or Target sized. And for being the size they are, they're pretty damn competitive with their item pricing and shipping pricing.

But again, I just don't worry about it or see why its worth caring about their shipping prices at this stage of the game. If Hastings' price (after any discount) + shipping isn't cheaper than things I can get shipped from Amazon using Prime (like from Amazon Warehouse and certain 3rd party Amazon Marketplace Sellers), or if it isn't cheaper than the current market price on eBay for a complete game + shipping, then I just don't buy it from Hastings regardless if all of the items will ship from one location or if they will all ship individually.

#2046 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

25-Star General of the PSNOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

Picked up MK vs DC ($10.xx) and Cartoon Network Punchtime Explosion ($14.xx). Not too bad.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (9/25/14): Don't Tell Me What to Do, Pharm!

#2047 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

I love Hastings and think the shipping fees is fine. But I hate it when they ship me 3 games cramped into one bubble mailer. =(

#2048 logicmeme

logicmeme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

Great reply kodave. I just picked up Darksiders and White Knight Chronicles 2 used for $25. Super cheap. Also noticed Okami is only $12 new which is cheaper than amazon even after shipping. May pick that up soon since I never played it before I sold my wii. Which brings up my next point, I bought a Used - Very Good Red 25th anniversary wii bundle for $100 shipped! Sure hope it's complete and doesn't require a return. Figured it was worth a shot since usually go hastings is quality :)
>Posted Image

#2049 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

After a trade in occurs, within 48-72 hours the item goes online since it didn't sell from the store, and we all have the opportunity to buy it.

It's actually almost instantaneously.. everything's updated every night after stores close. Sometimes things don't even have a chance to make it to the shelf the next day before someone online orders the item!

#2050 bengalboy

bengalboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

Yeah the 33OFF code didn't work on ICO/SHADOW collection either and it FINALLY was showing in stock used. That came out last September! I don't get it.

#2051 mmjr3

mmjr3

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

I'm with the consensus in the thread. I have no problem with GoHastings shipping model. The $2.28 is not really that much, especially when you take into account that it is about equal to what the actual shipping cost is. Granted when trying to take advantage of a deal, and ordering a large amount of games, shipping adds up and it looks like a hard pill to swallow. But in almost all cases the cost of shipping, when added to the discounted prices, is still a deal.
I have ordered over 50 PS3 games from them in the past few years and the $100+ that adds up to I have spent in just shipping charges is much less than the amount I have saved. For me it is a worthwhile site, as well as it is for others. If certain people have a problem with their shipping charges then why come to the thread and bash them? Just don't buy from them and get your games elsewhere.

#2052 tossin

tossin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

Haven't bought from goHastings in a while (mainly because I'm trying to keep spending down in general), but it looks like their prices are much higher than they used to be. Has it been like this for a while?

#2053 Screwhead281

Screwhead281

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

Pulled the trigger and got Transformers: WFC, Prototype and Dead Space 2 for 42 shipped.

I was really surprised Dead Space 2 was going for $11, $7 after the code.

#2054 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

I was the one who started the shipping debate. I'll be honest, i realized that there are still deals to be had if you buy a game or two. But it is tough to really take advantage of a sale like this in a terms of buying a large amount of games. It's too bad that there isn't some sort of permanent deal like "buy 10 items and shipping is 50% off" or whatnot.

#2055 mmjr3

mmjr3

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

I was the one who started the shipping debate. I'll be honest, i realized that there are still deals to be had if you buy a game or two. But it is tough to really take advantage of a sale like this in a terms of buying a large amount of games. It's too bad that there isn't some sort of permanent deal like "buy 10 items and shipping is 50% off" or whatnot.

Your logic is flawed on this. If there are deals to be had when buying a game or two there are deals to be had when buying a large amount of items. You are paying less for the combined cost of a single game with discount and the added shipping then you would pay almost any other place. For example I just bought WET, Singularity, and Venetica fort he PS3. Total was $25 and a little change. If you can point me out to where on the interwebs I could find a cheaper price I will concede to you. I'll overestimate and say shipping was $7. I for one am content with paying the 7 bucks when my total was $25.

I will grant you, if you do buy 10 games, looking at the total shipping as $27 may seem pretty shitty, but the savings offsets and outweighs those costs.
Clearly you are one of those people that will never change your mind no matter how much people say and that is fine. Leave the deals on GoHastings to the rest of us.

Here is a 24 hour offer for you; if you can find those 3 games I mentioned, complete and in mint condition (as I received them from GoHastings) for less than $25 I'll pay half the shipping if you decide to order from GoHastings on their next sale.

Edited by mmjr3, 26 April 2012 - 07:48 AM.
typo

#2056 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Your logic is flawed on this. If there are deals to be had when buying a game or two there are deals to be had when buying a large amount of items. You are paying less for the combined cost of a single game with discount and the added shipping then you would pay almost any other place. For example I just bought WET, Singularity, and Venetica fort he PS3. Total was $25 and a little change. If you can point me out to where on the interwebs I could find a cheaper price I will concede to you. I'll overestimate and say shipping was $7. I for one am content with paying the 7 bucks when my total was $25.

I will grant you, if you do buy 10 games, looking at the total shipping as $27 may seem pretty shitty, but the savings offsets and outweighs those costs.
Clearly you are one of those people that will never change your mind no matter how much people say and that is fine. Leave the deals on GoHastings to the rest of us.

Here is a 24 hour offer for you; if you can find those 3 games I mentioned, complete and in mint condition (as I received them from GoHastings) for less than $25 I'll pay half the shipping if you decide to order from GoHastings on their next sale.

Well, you can't say "complete and mint condition" because Hastings does not guarantee that.

#2057 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

Does anybody know Hastings includes peripherals with used games? It doesn't say "game only" and the picture doesn't change, but normally games that come with something else (be it music controllers or otherwise) don't come with the extra item used.
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#2058 Crizzixx

Crizzixx

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

In for a copy of Portal 2. Thanks OP.

#2059 kodave

kodave

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

It's actually almost instantaneously.. everything's updated every night after stores close. Sometimes things don't even have a chance to make it to the shelf the next day before someone online orders the item!

It seemed to be that way, but employees have posted on their Facebook wall that they have implemented a system to cut down on the number of online cancellations (because someone walks into the store and buys the item before the Go Ship department can grab it to mail to you).

Obviously this risk is always there, but with currently "popular" items, if its going to walk out of the store, it's going to be within X number of days/hours. After that its probably safer to list online.

I've noticed with several items I've been watching closely with a browser plugin, the search box for finding it in store used to pop up the day before it came back into stock online. Now its about a 48 hour delay, which, my best guess is, that's their way to try and reduce the number of cancellations.

I don't have any hard facts or inside intel on Hastings, but that's my best guess based on observation.

And you're still missing the point and using flawed logic. You say there are deals if you only buy a game or two, but somehow its tough to take advantage of the deal if you buy a large number of games. This is absolutely 10000000% untrue, because you always have to factor in shipping into the price for the games you buy. You HAVE to look at every game price on Hastings as that price (or that price after discount) PLUS $2.28 (or whatever the shipping price may be at that time). That's the ONLY way to look at it if you're a real CAG. As long as the game price + individual shipping price is a deal IN AND OF ITSELF, you're getting a deal whether you buy one game or you buy 100 games. You just "feel" like you're not getting a deal when you add 20 games to your cart then see a $45 shipping fee. I really don't know how many times I can repeat myself on this.

I constantly see people whining on Hastings' Facebook page that they want a free shipping code - but for video games, free shipping is only a better deal than 30% off if the game's listed price is under $7 (or something like that - I have the math in the 2nd post) before discount. You have to look beyond the shipping price to the total price per item.

Does anybody know Hastings includes peripherals with used games? It doesn't say "game only" and the picture doesn't change, but normally games that come with something else (be it music controllers or otherwise) don't come with the extra item used.

If it comes with the peripheral, it'll say [Bundle] next to the game title. If it doesn't say bundle its probably going to be game only. Look at the DJ Hero listing as an example: http://www.gohasting...u/278978139.uts

#2060 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

As much as I complain about Hastings' shipping, I decided it was worth it this time. I went with Fortune Street (wii), Skylanders (PS3), and Kinect Disneyland (360) for $63.55 shipped. Skylanders will be going back though if it doesn't come with at least the portal and the Spyro figure, as that's basically the only character I plan on using in the game.
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#2061 Righteous Nixon

Righteous Nixon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Cant believe people are still bitching about what they get from gamestop.com especially when it comes to older titles. There's a reason why they no longer have that game case manual guarantee on every single title like they use to. Should be common knowledge by now. Like someone said, Hastings is probably strict in store when it comes to trade ins so that's why your most likely to get complete games when ordering from them.

Game case manual? Last I looked my complaint dealt with a LOT more than just a game case manual. In all honesty, if I received a game that was just missing a manual then I wouldn't have an issue. My issue with Gamestop deals with almost every aspect of the game possible. The game case, condition of the game case, game manual, cover art, and even the condition of the disc in many cases. Game manual, lol. Oh and by the way, 5 of the 6 games I ordered were newer games, released within the last 4 months. Besides, the point of my post was to let people know what a great experience I had with my GoHasting order, a perfectly relevant statement given this thread is a GoHastings thread.

As for the you cant believe it part....well, believe it because I will continue to pass on any information I believe to be relevant to this forum and that includes my dealings with internet orders and yes, that includes information that you may or may not deem to be common knowledge. Personally, I cant believe that there are still people on the internet that make posts like yours, posts that add absolutely nothing to a thread but bitching and moaning. They do nothing but clog up threads with completely irrelevant crap and most importantly, the people for whom they were intended never give a rats behind anyways and yes, that includes me. Next time you come across a post of mine that somehow boggles your mind, for whatever reason, simply ignore it.

And to get things back on the proper track, I received the rest of my GoHastings order, 3 more games, and not only was each game 100% complete and in great condition, 1 of the games was brand new and still shrink wrapped (Call of Duty World at War). I thought maybe I had made the mistake but I went back and checked the receipt and sure enough I ordered it used. I also checked my credit card online and I was charged the appropriate amount. Maybe they ran out of that particular game and decided to just toss in a new copy. Whatever the reason, it was a nice bonus. All in all I am really happy with my order and will definitely be ordering from GoHastings again in the future.

By the way, the people that are letting GoHasting's peculiar shipping method deter them from placing an order are only losing out. In the end the only thing that matters is the price you paid and the condition of the game. Whether your paying 1.00 for the game + 9.00 shipping or 10.00 for the game + free shipping or even 5 dollars for the game + 5 dollar shipping, it makes no difference whatsoever. You would think people who belonged to a forum dealing with getting the best deals would understand that. Oh well, to each their own. Its their loss.

#2062 Davivascaino

Davivascaino

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

just ordered uncharted for vita for 25 bucks shipped. I hope it goes through

DaviVascaino.png         Davivascaino.png

#2063 earvcunanan

earvcunanan

I'm cool.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Alpha Protocol is $4.96 NEW + S/H for 360.

#2064 JawnMan

JawnMan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Two World II on PS3 is $6.90 used before 33% off. Just an FYI.
Never ordered from Go Hastings before, but I may check them out this once.
Playing:

:ds: - Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth
:psp: - LittleBigPlanet, Pinball Arcade
:ps3: - Enchanted Arms
:pc: - Inversion, Civilization V

Posted Image

#2065 acsguitar

acsguitar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Picked up Asuras Wrath for 32 bucks shipped after code. Don't know why but the "game" looks pretty awesome. Seems like a relaxing experience and like the "chapter" setup.

Why not! Almost grabbed White Knight Chronicles II for 19 bucks shipped

#2066 OneHandWonder

OneHandWonder

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Think I'm going to get WWE 12 and UFC 3.. both under 20 bucks with codes and things.

#2067 TheNeck

TheNeck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

im hoping some used ps vita games will come in stock before the end of today, like modnation racers and wipeout. :D

If not at least i was able to get 5 vita games from gohastings in this last week or 2. :D

#2068 dobedobedo

dobedobedo

Australopithecus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Just picked up the Saints Row Double Pack for $10. Thanks OP!
Posted Image

#2069 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Kodave - i agree with you but it's not worth convincing drclaw that gohastings has great deals. gohastings is one of my favorite places for used game deals. forget him. more for us anyway.

#2070 kodave

kodave

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Just a reminder that there's only 8.5 hours left and it rarely gets much better than 33% off.