CAGcast #252: You Say Magazine, I Say Clip

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]A plethora of games are discussed, including: Deus Ex, Driver: San Francisco, Dead Island, Assassins Creed Revelations, Cabela’s, Vessel, and much more! Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]161[/podcast]
Download - 104 minutes, 62MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Intro/Outro: Wax On, Wax Off - DJ Rectangle

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy birthday Cheapy D.

Maybe when you guys finish reviewing games you're sent can you give them away to the CAG community.Great way to bring new people to site.

Yeah! Great episode; too bad shipwreck got cut off at the end. At least we could still hear him.

Aw man, none of you guys talked about the twitter fight between Team Meat and Zen Studios. What time do you guys usually record the cagcast? Either way it was great show.

Have you guys tried to get CheapAssGamer's reviews added to MetaCritic or GameRankings?

Maybe if your reviews showed up there more companies would feel inclined to send you review copies.

My Pro-tip for Deus Ex: save all your praxis points until you need them to get past a particular section. For example, don't spend them all on getting level 5 hacking right away, when you might need to disable a turret shortly. Just keep a few handy at all times.

Also, Happy Birthday Cheapy! And thanks for the Kinect game reviews, Shipwreck!

PS - just rented Driver, and it is as awesome as you said, Cheapy.

Shipwreck is going to be wrong about the 3DS this holiday.

I think the showing of the slide pad for the 3DS will hinder it's sales. I think there will be too much speculation on a possible redesign of the hardware and a lot of folks will wait and see if that happens.

Happy bday Cheapy! And how dare you Wombat only give them the smallest details on the new Superman books. I'm saddened. Yes he's in tshirt and jeans, but it's before he really "becomes" Superman.

As for the armor...well...it's Kryptonian I thought. Makes more sense than Ma sewing him a costume that never gets damaged.

Cheapy, There is a sort of compass thing in the bottom left of the screen in ACR. It shows you if you play more than 1 game. It is included in the tutorial.

Clips Vs. Mags:

Clips are used to charge (load) a magazine. You probably saw these being used in the original Call of Duty series when using any of the bolt action rifles (such as the K98 or M91/30). These clips made loading the rifle considerably faster. The device used to load an M1 Garand is also a clip (called an En Bloc clip).

Magazines are the ammunition feeding devices for the rifle itself. They can be integrated into the rifle (M1 Garand, SKS) or removable (AK series rifles, AR-15/M-16 series rifles) and are loaded by hand, or by clips.

That's it in a nutshell.

They talked about my comment on clip VS magazine! Comment took me like 3 seconds to think of and they talk about it for several minutes.

Said my name wrong too, but everyone does that. Should just remove the "e" from the middle of my name and make life easier for everyone.

EDIT: Oh wow, I just noticed the name of the episode too.

Great CAGcast as always, happy birthday Cheapy but too short of a CAGcast because of technical reasons :( we don't need it to long to the point were its starts to turn into rambling (*cough**cough*Bombcast)

For a while there, I thought Shipwreck was becoming yet another jaded reviewer in the video games industry. Then, he makes a comment about another site's reviewer doing it wrong by negatively reviewing a Kinect game and how that doesn't help anyone. It seems much like Cheapy and Wombat, Ship really does care about the average gamer.

Great podcast, Just like to say that the ghost feature from Driver was in battlefield 2:Modern Combat for ps2 and xbox.

[quote name='banodyne']Looking at his bibliography you'll notice that as time has gone by he's been slowly going nuts.[/QUOTE]

I disagree completely. It hasn't been slow at all. /rimshot

Awesome podcast.... randomly ran into this today after being a CaG for over 2 years.

Happy Bday D1 from D2 :) p.s def subscribing to your future eps.

[quote name='serenitygod']Cheapy, There is a sort of compass thing in the bottom left of the screen in ACR. It shows you if you play more than 1 game. It is included in the tutorial.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, the compass is only gone in the "Deathmatch" modes. Basically, it removes the compass, but it also lowers, if not removes, the likelihood of clones appearing, removes the Escape/Chase section, and in "Easy Deathmatch," removes the abilities. I guess this is to make it more like Hide and Seek, where your only hint is whether you're in the target's line of sight. The classic "Wanted" mode is still there, with compass and all. It's the second tutorial and it can be selected in Custom Match.

I really enjoyed Wombat talking about Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I was going to pass on this game because a prequel just sounded lame. But hearing Wombat talk about different augments made me remember all the cool little things you could do in the previous games, and play the game your way.

The show really works well when you guys discuss games you enjoy, and why you enjoy them. Mentioning every new game that just came out that week doesn't really click. But it's easy to tell when you guys are passionate about a game. Wombat about Oblivion and Fallout 3. Cheapy about Saints Row 2. Shipwreck about Dead or Alive: Paradise.

I foresee and am looking forward to your discussions on Skyrim, Batman, and Mass Effect 3. Like you did with Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2.

Happy birthday Cheapy! And another fun CAGcast. I do enjoy all three of your impressions on new games that are out.

And yeah Assassins Creed, just like Madden has been cranking out a new one every year. Assassins Creed 2012.

Wombat....One of the reasons why Entertainment Weekly considers the DC reboot ongoing 'news' is likely due to the fact that EW and DC are owned by the same company, Time Warner.

Now that there are good games finally coming out I am happy to hear all three of your impressions.

@Wombat: I love Deus Ex. I have a sealed box copy of the original pc game. But I agree, the inventory sucks. I spent all of my first points on inventory. Honestly, I don't much care for many of the skills. I suggest boosting jump, fall, and wall break so that you can explore the environment fully. Wall break lets you go through certain walls, not punch enemies robocop style. It doesn't explain it well.

@Ship: I think you did a really good job talking about Cabella, a game that will probably be stupid. You handled it with finesse. In the end it is quite flattering that they'd drive that promo van to Ohio. You've handled discussing shitty games pretty well in the past without trashing them.

Cheapy, playing on Easy is fine if you just wanna enjoy the story. I had no real issues with Normal until I met the first boss but even on Normal, they weren't too hard. I played stealth most of the way. It's quite tense and a lot of fun. But play however you want for maximum enjoyment. You're all pretty early. I beat it in a few days, marathon!

I think Shipwreck accidentally let slip the name of the next game in the Mortal Kombat franchise. Kabal's Big Game Hunter.

Here's the easy way to beat the first Deus Ex boss straight from the Future Press guide:

Throw grenades at his feet to stun him as Wombat suggested, but then follow up by throwing the items in the room that can explode at him, and in some instances, shoot them so they explode on him. The red, explosive barrel in the back of the room takes off about 50-75% of his health by itself.

The funny moment was I had him nearly dead apparently and I was nearly dead also and he accidentally shot the fire extinguisher near him trying to shoot me and that was enough damage to kill him.

And Wombat, I figured you'd loved the inventory system since it was from RE 4. :)

[quote name='Kosh']Shipwreck is going to be wrong about the 3DS this holiday.

I think the showing of the slide pad for the 3DS will hinder it's sales. I think there will be too much speculation on a possible redesign of the hardware and a lot of folks will wait and see if that happens.[/QUOTE]

It will be interesting to see if this does affect the sales, or if the sales to the uninformed masses will make up for it.

Cheapy,
The compass is still there in AC: Revelations MP in the regular modes like Wanted, Manhunt, etc.. The compass is only gone in the deathmatch mode.

bread's done
Back