Photo
- - - - -

(DEAD) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition Guide - $23.52 at Amazon [updated]

• Please log in to reply
889 replies to this topic

#31 TemplePilot

TemplePilot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

Been watching for this, thanks. Ordered one.
Posted Image

#32 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

Thanks OP, sounds freaken awesome!

Have a good read of the awesome FAQ by AtlanteanMan.
weapon05.gif
Come checkout the DAISENRYAKU discussion thread.
Show your support to bring more of this awesome strategy title to North America!

#33 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

this will be my first ES game (didn't care for oblivion, mainly due to the graphics since i was a few years late to the party & i'm a graphics whore). do people play this game without a guide, or is it a necessity?

i'm the type that feels guilty for looking up the last dead drop in infamous 2 after spending 2 days searching for it. i HATE using guides for anything (& i'm a huge rpg fan). can i play this & succeed without a guide? i can understand needing one to be able to do everything in the game, but just to do a playthrough or 2?

thanks alot, guys!

#34 captaink

captaink

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

You certainly won't need it to beat the game, but the Fallout 3/NV ones were really helpful in terms of finding bobbleheads, magazines etc. The maps and unique item locations are the best parts of these guides.

#35 DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo

The Navy Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Awesome, thank you so much OP. I loved Oblivion and the quality and size of this guide sounds great.

Great forum for PS Vita information: www.psvitaforum.com

United States Navy

#36 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

You certainly won't need it to beat the game, but the Fallout 3/NV ones were really helpful in terms of finding bobbleheads, magazines etc. The maps and unique item locations are the best parts of these guides.

thanks, man.

i would probably get it if i wasn't so broke. with so many games coming out, i'd have to forfeit like ico/sotc collection to afford it. i'll look on gamefaqs after a while if i have problems on the collectables (i play games SLOW). i look at every aspect of every nook and cranny, so i hear this game will be a beast for me. i spent 50+ hours getting 100% in LA Noire with no guides, lol. would have been 20 if i wasn't so stubborn, but i don't mind when i love the world. i look at stuff like 'does water splash when you shoot at it, and does the character walk on each step when walking on stairs, and just spend hours checking stuff like that. not trying to find fault, but rather appreciate the small things that most will never notice in games. i will spend a year in skyrim, probably (but not as my only game (unless i love it as much as it looks like i will). looks amazing. so glad the 3rd person stuff is better.

then, in rpg-ish games alone is zelda, witcher 2 360, KoA:Reckoning, ME3, Xcom, etc. SUCKS (in a good way?)! why couldn't they schedule these games so they'd be released all throughout the year? that's not including the 8 -10 games from this year i still want to play. UGH!

#37 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

Looks nice and all, but skyrim goty guide will make this guide worthless

Not if they don't do a CE GOTY guide...

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#38 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

gaaa, need to decide between getting this now or waiting for the GOTY version in the future...

Spoiler

#39 aznguyen316

aznguyen316

Rock Chalk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

lol I said eff it why not... we'll see if I hang onto it
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK | Steam: djfakey
i5-2500k@4.2Ghz; MSI 660Ti PE/OC Ed.

#40 argyle

argyle

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:12 PM

For everyone wondering about a potential GOTY CE guide later on - I know with Fallout 3 at least that I was able to sell the standard CE guide when the GOTY guide was announced & I made enough from it to cover the cost of the new one.
Posted Image

#41 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

For everyone wondering about a potential GOTY CE guide later on - I know with Fallout 3 at least that I was able to sell the standard CE guide when the GOTY guide was announced & I made enough from it to cover the cost of the new one.

Same here with my Fallout 3 CE guide.

#42 Kablasia

Kablasia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

Is this a temporary price? I'm not sure if I should pre-order it now or later.

#43 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

Thanks, OP. Placed an order.

Also, wanted to bring this to people's attention if they don't know. The Oblvion 5th anniversary comes with a $10 off coupon for the game and guide. HOWEVER, I noticed this on an Amazon review:

Another fact purchasers should be aware of is that the $10 coupon isn't an instant savings or really a coupon at all but rather a $10 pre-paid VISA Card. Here's some basic information lifted directly from Bethesda:
1. You must purchase a new copy of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and the Skyrim Official Strategy Guide for full price of at least $59.89. No discounts allowed.
2. You must have purchased the a game and guide at the same time and shown on the same receipt within a one month window: 11/11/11 - 12/11/11
3. You must cut the UPC label off the 5th Anniversay Edition, Skyrim and the Strategy Guide and mail those in with the original receipt.

It's basically just a rebate and you'll have to cut up 2 games and the guide to get $10 off. So don't get the Oblivion 5th Anniversary to use to save on this guide and Skyrim.

#44 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

Probably not temporary but there's really no harm in pre-ordering now. You'll ensure youll get the lowest price and can always can cancel it later on.

#45 Brenex

Brenex

Cobra Commander

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

In for one!

#46 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

Probably not temporary but there's really no harm in pre-ordering now. You'll ensure youll get the lowest price and can always can cancel it later on.

You can also track the pricing history for this, and any other Amazon item, on camelcamelcamel.com . Whenever I pre-order something like this, I set up a price watch on camel^3 and have them email me when the price drops, plus it'll show history.

I'm sure some CAGs know about it, though now more should.

#47 clonesniper666

clonesniper666

Final Fantasy Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

This should look nice setting with my CE game too bad I have to wait to preorder it. Hopefully if the price does increase in a week it will not be too much more.
c230fb8bbd924924db8824b92aa424e3_0cdf051<---FFXIVARR Character Lodestone
549917_4220482276976_99161570_n.jpg<---Trade Listclonesniper6.png

#48 MidnightMarauder74

MidnightMarauder74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

I have both the F3 standard CE guide and the GOTY guide. I remember reading somewhere that there is a section in the standard CE guide that was not moved over to the GOTY guide. I don't remember the details.

#49 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:03 PM

I doubt it's temporary - I ordered at this price on September 1.

Surprised it's a week later and now getting onto CAG - figured it was par for the course on a guide.

#50 VISCO

VISCO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

Strategy guides ruin these types of games

#51 Ionotropic

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

I just hope Prima doesn't mess this one up like the Mortal Kombat guide, but RPG's are a lot different than fighting games, so hopefully it comes out alright.

#52 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

Thanks, ordered one. I was contemplating whether I should buy a guide for this or not, but this price pushed me over the edge.

#53 oregon

oregon

CAG Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

I just hope Prima doesn't mess this one up like the Mortal Kombat guide, but RPG's are a lot different than fighting games, so hopefully it comes out alright.

Further back in the thread, someone mentioned it is the same author as the Fallout 3/FO3 GOTY guides. He is simply awesome. All prima could do would be mess up the printing of the guide. His content and writing was pretty outstanding.

#54 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

Strategy guides ruin these types of games

Depends on what you read and when. If you're just reading backstory or how stats and skills work, there's little harm. If you finish the main quest, have already invested 100 hours in the game and side-quests, and don't want to run in circles trying to find all the fun content, it's a great resource.

Buuuut if you read it step-by-step through the game, removing any element of discovery, yeah, you're pretty much ruining it.

#55 Capaneus

Capaneus

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:04 PM

I loved my CE guides for Fallout 3 GOTY, Fallout: NV! This is a no brainer. Even after I played the crap out of the games, I like to read through all the possible quest paths.
sml_gallery_46393_8193_8746.png

#56 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

the msrp is $20 less than the game

what are we even doing in the game industry

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#57 TheGuardianWolf

TheGuardianWolf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

I almost never buy game guides, but there are two series' that grip me into submission on spending where I normally wouldn't. Pokemon and Elder Scrolls... and Pokemon less so now than it used to be. :P So I'm finding myself torn on this. The digital map is certainly an incentive. If I knew the cover art would be awesome I could also display it as an added bonus. Combine that with the art in the book looking good, and I think that would push me over the edge to buy.

Does anyone know if the cover will be the same as the paperback one? I'm hoping it's the Skyrim dragon symbol or something instead. Also, how good did the inside of the FO3 guide look? Was it bland, did it have art, was it detailed?

Thanks for any and all help, and thanks for the link OP.

#58 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

the msrp is $20 less than the game

what are we even doing in the game industry

Yeah, pricey as heck. Could save $9 and go with the softcover/paperback edition instead for $17.18.

#59 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

Picked this up, thanks for the heads up!
!San Francisco Giants 2010 & 2012 World Series Champions!

Posted Image

#60 CaseX

CaseX

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

How do they make such comprehensive guides so quickly? Do you suppose the writer works directly with the game developers? I don't see how you can go through 100+ hours of main and side quests, write it all up, and publish it in such a short time frame.