Photo
- - - - -

(DEAD) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition Guide - $23.52 at Amazon [updated]

• Please log in to reply
889 replies to this topic

#181 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

I think sealed CE guides do tend to hold their value over time for games like this. However, here are a few factors to consider 1. If a GOTY edition CE guide is released, that can cause the value of the original to take a hit. 2. If you're keeping it sealed with intent to sell, you're looking at potentially years of waiting before it becomes profitable, unless it's a small print run ... otherwise you really have to wait for guides to disappear off the shelves. Hence, oblivion guides go for alot because it's an older game and a complex game to navigate. On the other hand, a CE like Mass Effect 2's has little value because it's newer and far less intricate in its design. So just some points to consider, but I almost guarantee a sealed guide will net you some profit down the road for a game like this.

#182 Kablasia

Kablasia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Thanks op just preordered a copy and thanks ssjmichael for the bookmark tip for free shipping =)

#183 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

no problem :)

#184 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

In my picks today for $22.34 so N41.

#185 nightmare452

nightmare452

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

I'm going to go for the regular edition. Saves me $6 or so bucks, so that's not worth having a hardcover and the interactive guide for me. I'm not much into guides or collectibles, I just want the most basic thing, and for the price difference, I still get 99% the same guide.

Now playing: Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (XB1), Dark Souls (PC), Starcraft 2 (PC), Infamous: Second Son (PS4), Dead Rising 3 (XB1), Rouge Legacy (PSV).

#186 Hiroshou

Hiroshou

You bred Raptors!?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

In my picks today for $22.34 so N41.

Same here.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#187 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

Hmm, if the CE is finally showing up in quick picks I might need to re-order tomorrow.

#188 tranceFusion

tranceFusion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

I have never played an Elder Scrolls game - is this the type of game you can hop on the internet to get the little bits or pieces you don't understand, or will I be stumbling through everything? In other words, is the guide a general convenience/collector's item or is it an invaluable resource?

#189 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

I have never played an Elder Scrolls game - is this the type of game you can hop on the internet to get the little bits or pieces you don't understand, or will I be stumbling through everything? In other words, is the guide a general convenience/collector's item or is it an invaluable resource?

Here's the thing: there is no general direction you have to follow, so without a guide you will miss out on huge chunks of the game. Even with it, you're likely to experience about half of what the game has to offer. It's just that massive. The guide is mostly for true explorers who want to check out all the cool stuff and do all the side quests. Otherwise you can find stuff online if you already know what you're looking for specifically.

#190 mr_top_hat

mr_top_hat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

I had to buy the guide for Morrowind, which helped a lot, but Oblivion and Fallout 3 were simple enough where if you needed help, you can just look at the wiki.

I'm going to assume Bethesda will keep it simple, so I think the wiki will be enough.

#191 tranceFusion

tranceFusion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Here's the thing: there is no general direction you have to follow, so without a guide you will miss out on huge chunks of the game. Even with it, you're likely to experience about half of what the game has to offer. It's just that massive. The guide is mostly for true explorers who want to check out all the cool stuff and do all the side quests. Otherwise you can find stuff online if you already know what you're looking for specifically.

I don't like to spend large amount of time running around exploring in open world/sandbox games. My favorite RPGs are more focused action-rpg's... Zelda, Mass Effect, Dark/Demon Souls, etc. Maybe this game isn't for me :)

#192 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

I don't like to spend large amount of time running around exploring in open world/sandbox games. My favorite RPGs are more focused action-rpg's... Zelda, Mass Effect, Dark/Demon Souls, etc. Maybe this game isn't for me :)

It's not.

#193 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

I preordered 2, one for my buddy as myself. should make a nice early Christmas gift.

#194 martyback

martyback

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:28 PM

Eh, if the Collector's Edition is just a digital interactive map and hardcover, no way.

#195 waltercartman

waltercartman

Don't Be A Dingus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

Just pre Ordered it with some lame book marks lol... Thanks to who ever said the book mark thing. Love free shipping :)
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176686"][/URL]

#196 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:44 AM

I'm a little confused.. the Skyrim hardcover guide is listed at 600+ pages and only has a shipping weight of 1.2lbs (according to amazon). I'm assuming that's not right so I checked Walmart.com and it said 2.5lbs.

Regardless don't those both seem really low? I mean Dark Souls had 3xx pages and a weight of over 3lbs.

Different materials? Or are the above estimates way off?

Edit: Also doesn't anyone know why the Walmart website says:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition Guide applies to Xbox 360

I'm assuming ^ is a typo?

Edited by GBAstar, 04 November 2011 - 06:05 AM.

#197 kidrocklive

kidrocklive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

hmm I guess if the profit time for guides takes "years" I shouldn't get the guide. My intent was to keep it a couple months then sell it. I can just keep my 24 dollars and look up online anything I have questions on. Plus to me majority of the fun is finding stuff on your own. I think if you look at a guide and see said sweet item is here, it just becomes a fetch quest. But then again I don't really looked at a guide for this type of game so yeah lol.

#198 joeyshadows

joeyshadows

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:26 AM

I wonder if Best Buy is getting these in. I know at the midnight release of BF3 they knocked 10 bucks off the regular strat guide and also some of the collectors.

#199 shortyman920

shortyman920

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:59 AM

I can't wait to get this in the mail. I'm most likely going to put in more hours reading than playing most game's full campaigns haha.

#200 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

I wonder if Best Buy is getting these in. I know at the midnight release of BF3 they knocked 10 bucks off the regular strat guide and also some of the collectors.

Even if they did, that would make this guide 29.99..

#201 joeyshadows

joeyshadows

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

Even if they did, that would make this guide 29.99..

Sorry I meant to say some "off". I just don't remember the exact value they deducted. It probably wont beat this deal, but I have a bunch of credit from the 50% extra promo.

#202 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

Sorry I meant to say some "off". I just don't remember the exact value they deducted. It probably wont beat this deal, but I have a bunch of credit from the 50% extra promo.

It was $10 off the CE too, but that was off the retail price so as mentioned that would drop it down to $29.99. That won't happen though as it's not mentioned in the ad as it was for BF3

#203 rieper

rieper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

Still don't get what the big fuss is over this "Collectors Edition" guide...I don't care who the author is or how amazing he writes, it's still made by Prima so expect crap-quality paper and an incoherent guide. PASS.

Prima>Brady>Future Press & PiggyBack

#204 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

Still don't get what the big fuss is over this "Collectors Edition" guide...I don't care who the author is or how amazing he writes, it's still made by Prima so expect crap-quality paper and an incoherent guide. PASS.

Err, somebody failed math lol.

#205 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

wow, lmao

#206 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

:dunce:

87688.png

Playing: :xb1: Wolfenstein  :ps4: Octodad   :360:    :ps3: Used for a 3D player now   :3ds:-Pok√©mon X, Zelda:ALBW (3DS FC: 0447-7073-4536)

http://www.looksneat.com/topic/Gaming/

#207 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

I think you need to learn how to use the greater-than and less-than signs.

If you read it as you put it up there, Prima are the best guides, then Brady and in last place, FuturePress and PiggyBack.

What you really should have written is the following:

PiggyBack + FuturePress > Brady > Prima

Some references for you:
http://en.wikipedia..../Less-than_sign
http://en.wikipedia....eater-than_sign

#208 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

I think you need to learn how to use the greater-than and less-than signs.

If you read it as you put it up there, Prima are the best guides, then Brady and in last place, FuturePress and PiggyBack.

What you really should have written is the following:

PiggyBack + FuturePress > Brady > Prima

Some references for you:
http://en.wikipedia..../Less-than_sign
http://en.wikipedia....eater-than_sign

Mr. Shrike will be our math teacher today.

If you did Piggyback + FuturePress would that equal PiggyFuturePressBack which would then be greater than Brady?
!San Francisco Giants 2010 & 2012 World Series Champions!

Posted Image

#209 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

Mr. Shrike will be our math teacher today.

If you did Piggyback + FuturePress would that equal PiggyFuturePressBack which would then be greater than Brady?

Fair enough.

Let's do it this way instead:

PiggyBack or FuturePress > Brady > Prima

Personally, IMO, I think it's this:

FuturePress > PiggyBack > Brady > Prima

*strokes imported Bayonetta hardcover guide lovingly* :D

#210 TLFerrill

TLFerrill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

Finally ordered this. Lame it doesn't come out til the following monday but whatever.

I also finally signed up for the amazon prime trial, figured it was a good time since it will run through black friday.

Edited by TLFerrill, 05 November 2011 - 07:03 PM.

"Build a man a fire, he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life."

Scope my Tradelist Turkeys!http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=258903