Lost Planet 2 (Xbox 360) - $10.14 on Amazon

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Royal High Knight

Royal High Knight

Call me SeƱor Pink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:40 AM

doesn't this have marcus and dom and wesker? Are they for both single and multiplayer or just for one of them?

#32 Blumpkin

Blumpkin

Has a bad case of diarrhea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:42 AM

Wow, it's almost down to the $5 I put down when I reserved it. lol.

After seeing the reviews I never picked it up. I held onto my Gamestop receipt though, can I still use that $5 credit?

16Z462z.jpg

#33 Shinpachi

Shinpachi

Limited Blades Work

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

Except Left 4 Dead manages to be fun and offer more organic teamplay than the contrived, clunky crap that is LP2

More organic teamplay in L4D? You and I have different ideas of what constitutes contrived pal. Me and my buddy had multiple ways to tackle every stage and boss (aside from the final one), I couldn't ask for a better teamplay experience. The train stage was probably the best, it took us so many tries with different strategies to be successful on hard.
Spoiler

Basically I fucking loved playing through it with my buddy, more so than either Gears of War, though I enjoyed those as well this was the best $10 I ever spent. Hell it was actually the best negative two dollars I spent since I traded it back in to BB today.

#34 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

Left 4 Dead's gameplay really is far more organic. I can't believe anyone would even imagine arguing that point.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#35 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

doesn't this have marcus and dom and wesker? Are they for both single and multiplayer or just for one of them?

The 360 version does as free DLC. The PS3 version received some Killzone characters in their place. Both platforms have Wesker. IIRC this game doesn't draw a clear line between single and multiplayer, so you should be able use the skins in either mode.

#36 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

Left 4 Dead's gameplay really is far more organic. I can't believe anyone would even imagine arguing that point.

Minor LP2 gameplay spoilers ahead....

By far the most memorable level in LP2 is the one where you and your buddies hijack a gigantic train that looks to be about four stories tall. At the front of the train is cannon similar to what you'd see on a battleship. Once you take over the train, the train comes under attack from an insect that is larger than the entire train. The only things that effectively damages the boss is the cannon.

Each player must assume a role for the remainder of the level: Player 1 controls the cannon. The problem is that it turns very slowly. Player 2 spots where the boss pops up and must relay that info to Player 1. Then Player 2 must man a set of controls that allows the cannon to turn faster. Player 3 has to run three different types of cannon ammo from the back of the train to the front of the train. Player 4 has to keep the deck clear of smaller enemies so that players 1-3 can do their jobs without interruption. Communication between the four players ends up being absolutely vital for this level as things can turn on a moment's notice. Players may need to switch roles or modify exactly how they go about doing their job.

Now that situation probably falls outside what could be labeled as "organic" but I liked the change of pace from the rest of the game. I admit I've played very little of L4D, probably only a few hours. Does it offer any situations such as that where each player takes on a specific responsibility unique to a level or area? Or are there just general roles dictated by a player's location and what's in their inventory?

#37 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

What you're describing is an imaginative set piece that's built around the co-op experience. Definitely very cool.

Organic has several different meanings, so I guess it depends on how you look at it. I was thinking of

having the characteristics of an organism : developing in the manner of a living plant or animal

Which is to say, in Left 4 Dead, the challenges are constantly evolving depending on how players are doing. Playing through a level can go hundreds of different ways because so many different things could happen. Somebody else could probably go into better detail than me, but the variety/randomness is truly amazing.
There are definitely parts where one or more players must do specific things in order to survive/progress, such as venturing out to radio for help while other members hold up/guard a specific area, or breaking up into teams inside a multistory mall in order to fuel an escape vehicle. And unlike Lost Planet 2, if you're playing on your own or with only one other person, the AI team members aren't completely useless, though they're still no match for another human of course.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#38 matrix9280

matrix9280

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

The thought of something being a bad single player but a good multiplayer game makes no sense to me. What is that about? Misery loves company? I don't get it.

#39 whitereflection

whitereflection

Shake well before serving

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

Can you play basketball by yourself? Sure, it just wouldn't be a lot of fun. Similarly, shooters are more fun to play if you're playing with people rather than by yourself.

#40 juanawoman

juanawoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:03 AM

Played the first LP to death on the online multiplayer. I played the demo for this, but never picked it up due to the bad reviews. I was going to wait on it.

I think the reason I like LP is because of the 3rd person view. I'm really sick of 1st person. :roll: