CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

• Please log in to reply
1678 replies to this topic

#331 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Dude - one "slip" every 4 weeks is totally tolerable. Hell, even once a week isn't that bad. One summer I was trying to get jacked so I was really watching everything and taking supplements, etc. but every single Tuesday I'd eat an ENTIRE thin crust pizza for dinner. The whole thing. By myself. It had little to no effect on my overall diet and it was something I really looked forward to. As long as you get back to your routine you shouldn't see any long-term negative effects from one bad afternoon.

I was at the beach yesterday with the kids and my parents and we went on some crazy walk (like 90 minutes) and I ended up carrying my son for the last 1/2 hour. This is after my 5 mile interval run in the morning and eating a protein shake + egg whites for breakfast. After the walk I was so tired that when we stopped for ice cream for the kids I just said F it and got some for myself. I was feeling pretty bad about it after so I decided to skip dinner but of course I couldn't not eat anything so instead I snacked on the chocolate chip cookies my mom made. Dammit.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#332 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Had some great food today.

Eggs and bacon for breakfast.

Whey in coffee on the way to work.

Tuna, almonds and blueberries for lunch

Salami and cheese for a snack.

Tonight, pork and peppers for dinner with some whey after hitting the gym.

#333 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

Had some great food today.

Eggs and bacon for breakfast.

Whey in coffee on the way to work.

Tuna, almonds and blueberries for lunch

Salami and cheese for a snack.

Tonight, pork and peppers for dinner with some whey after hitting the gym.

Wow - solid day. I'm back on track... sort of. I had a ham, egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast (lean ham, egg whites and wheat toast), a whey protein drink for mid-morning snack, ham on toasted rye for lunch with small bag of Baked Lays and I have no idea what's coming up for dinner. I also got to the gym by 5:30 a.m. and did 40 minutes on the elliptical AFTER an insanity workout and then 15 minutes of ab exercises. I am pretty tired right now...

#334 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

Wow - solid day. I'm back on track... sort of. I had a ham, egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast (lean ham, egg whites and wheat toast), a whey protein drink for mid-morning snack, ham on toasted rye for lunch with small bag of Baked Lays and I have no idea what's coming up for dinner. I also got to the gym by 5:30 a.m. and did 40 minutes on the elliptical AFTER an insanity workout and then 15 minutes of ab exercises. I am pretty tired right now...

Yeah I've really been killin it low carb. Today I'll take in around 25 grams total (15 from the blueberries, 6 from the almonds, 4 total from the protein).

Feel perfectly fine. Great actually.

Gonna start week 4 of the 5x5 soon.

seanr1221.png

#335 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

Yeah I've really been killin it low carb. Today I'll take in around 25 grams total (15 from the blueberries, 6 from the almonds, 4 total from the protein).

Feel perfectly fine. Great actually.

Gonna start week 4 of the 5x5 soon.

How is your energy level? I always get headaches if I don't eat carbs. Pretzels or something will make it go away almost instantaneously. I can't seem to go without though.

#336 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:48 AM

How is your energy level? I always get headaches if I don't eat carbs. Pretzels or something will make it go away almost instantaneously. I can't seem to go without though.

Energy is awesome, even on days I work 12 hours.

I think it takes you like a week or so to go that low in carbs and feel fine.

It sounds like you're still under 100g if today is any indication, although I don't know what you had for dinner. I try to stay under 50g.

seanr1221.png

#337 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

How the heck can you be eating 2500 cals a day at your size? Unless you have an extremely physical job And working out hard for at least 4 hours a day that includes cardio, I find that highly unlikely. High metabolism or not, you can't break the laws of physics.

It's not unreasonable. I have thin friends his height who eat a ton and still remain thin.

But yeah, it depends on his effort. I'm 5'10", 185-pounds, and consume around that amount of calories per day. I spend 4-6 hours in my gym per day, tho.

Different strokes for different folks and all. :)

Looking at gyms to learn the basics.

I'm thinking Throwdown Training Center—as I've been there and the people are nice, and the facility is quite nice. Plus, MiddleEasy.com posted a video of Ronda Rousey and Nick Diaz doing some training there. I would have been there just watching them if I had known. I think Gilbert Yvel teaches kickboxing there, too. Would be neat to learn from him.

But then again, I like Wand Fight Team's schedule more. I'll have to consult some people.

#338 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

Tuesday Weigh-In

Height: 6'0
Starting Weight (1/1): 250.6 lbs
Last week's Weigh-in: 230.2 lbs
This week's Weigh-in: 226.8 lbs
Pounds Gained/Lost this week: -3.4 lbs
Pounds Gained/Lost total: -23.8 lbs
Goal weight (200 lbs): 26.8 lbs to go

Almost half way to my goal! I didn't get to play Basketball this week due to meetings at work, so I subbed in gym time on those days. It seems to have paid off. I also added a Friday 5K run that I'll keep in the rotation, so the schedule looks like this:

Monday: 35 Minutes Treadmill
Tuesday: 1 Hour Basketball
Wednesday: 35 Minutes on the Eliptical + Stomach Crunches
Thursday: 1 Hour Basketball
Friday: 5K Run on Treadmill

Rest on the weekends.

Diet is pretty consistent(i.e. Boring) too:

Breakfast: Chobani Greek Yogurt or 3/4 cup Kashi Honey Almond Flax with 1/2 cup Skim Milk
Lunch: Weight Watcher Meal - Usually Turkey w/ Mashed Potatoes or Chicken Fetuccini
Dinner: 6 slices of Fat free Deli Turkey, 1 slice of Fat free cheese, 100 Calorie Whole Wheat Sandwich Thin.

For a snack, it's usually Popcorn or Special K Snack Chips. Water all day.

Feeling good!!!

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

#339 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Working a 12 hour day so I planned all my meals out.

Breakfast (of course) eggs and bacon

Whey in my coffee as usual.

Lunch I just ate half a rotisserie chicken and some spinach

Dinner I packed tuna, cucumbers, almonds and a string cheese.

Should be good for the day Id imagine.

#340 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:00 AM

I started P90X back up, and began a new diet to start shedding some Holiday weight.

I'm still looking for a balance between work, school, and working out. First night felt amazing...afterwards lol. The first 2 weeks of P90X are absolutely brutal, but I'm more determined than ever to lose weight.

Below is a list of my meals for today. If anyone can recommend some changes to my diet, I'm completely open. I'd really appreciate the help!

Breakfast: 1 egg, 1 cup of canned pineapple, 8oz glass of OJ.

Lunch: 2 slices of 45 calorie, whole wheat bread, 3 slices of lean turkey meat, 1 tbsp of yellow mustard, 1 90 calorie Chewy bar, 1 pack of 100 calorie brownie bites, 1 serving of cranberry Fruit Thins, bottle of water.

Dinner: 1 chicken thigh (baked) and 1 cup of steamed brocoli. Bottle of water.

Snacks: 1 serving of Blue Diamond Almonds (Smokehouse flavor...I know these aren't great, but I can't stand the blandness of regular/raw almonds. If anyone can help me flavor up raw almonds, I would really appreciate it!), 1 apple with 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese.

Thanks everyone!
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#341 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:07 AM

Ordered some Animal Pak. First time. I'll post how I feel when it gets here.

Been at a solid 165 pounds for a couple weeks now. I'm good with that. Still pushing to clean up the last couple pounds of fat.

I've actually been training for American Ninja Warrior for months now. Submitting my video for the upcoming season, and hope to do well there. My upper-body strength has improved dramatically in the last few months.

I love almonds...but I tried pistachios for the first time this week...WOW! So tasty!

#342 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

Am I the only one trying to bulk here? Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast - Two cups Oatmeal Crisp (with almonds) cereal, one tbsp whole flax seeds, 12 ounces of skim milk, 6 ounce cup of yogurt, and 8 ounces of OJ.

Lunch - One chicken sandwich and one PB&J sandwich (both on whole wheat), half serving of pretzels, and one box of raisins.

Midday snack - One Balance bar and a Kashi granola bar.

Dinner - One package Knorr pasta side (usually creamy chicken) with 5 ounces of diced chicken, and one tbsp of olive oil. For dessert, yogurt and a granola bar.

That works out to roughly 3100 calories daily, with a bit more on days I work out.

#343 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

Whats your workout plan look like?

seanr1221.png

#344 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Whats your workout plan look like?

I'll likely receive much criticism since I don't use any of the "traditional" plans, but it's worked for me so far.

My workout is all done with dumbbells or an EZ bar. Every exercise is two sets unless otherwise noted.

-straight-leg deadlifts
-self-assisted hamstring raises (one set)
-split squats (two sets for each leg)
-standing calf raises (one leg at a time)
-deadlifts (more like a squat since I have to get my hips so low, but I'm lifting the weight from the floor each rep)
-shrugs (one set immediately after deadlifts)
-one arm dumbbell rows
-flat bench press
-weighted pull-ups
-weighted chest dips
-elevated push-ups (feet on bench, one set to failure)
-upright rows w/ EZ bar
-scull-crushers w/ EZ bar
-curls w/ EZ bar
-two or three ab exercise mixed in among the above lifts, plus a warmup beforehand and some light cardio afterwards

That's my routine, two days a week. I work on a four week cycle. Week one I do sets of eight reps. Week two I push for nine reps. Weeks three and four, ten reps. I then add weight (five pounds for most of my lifts) and start the cycle over again. Progress has been slow, naturally, but steady.

The weights I'm pushing aren't very impressive (especially for the legs) but my physique is definitely improving. One of these days, when I can afford it, I'll get a gym membership so I'll have access to barbells.

#345 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

I was going to make a suggestion until I realized you do this all at home. Once you can get to a gym, hit the barbells hard with compound exercises. :)

#346 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Goddamn the Insanity program is next to impossible. I feel like I'm only doing 1/2 of what I'm supposed to be doing. I can't lift my legs as high as I should be and I certainly can't do the suicides as fast as they do them in the video. It is a struggle but I do feel like I'm getting a good workout.

#347 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

I was going to make a suggestion until I realized you do this all at home. Once you can get to a gym, hit the barbells hard with compound exercises. :)

Yup, eventually. I prefer working out at home, but there's no way I can fit a barbell set in my small apartment. I'd also like to lift more than just two days a week, but my work schedule is very erratic.

#348 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

So the second day of P90X kicked my butthole. It didn't help that I had to begin pretty late at night, but I still did as much as I could do, so I'm happy. I haven't strayed from the diet at all. I find myself hungrier at the end of the day, so I eat an apple with lemon juice, and a banana. That usually satisfies the cravings. Otherwise, I'm just gonna keep up with it!
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#349 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

I may have to try that next. Insanity is... um, insane. I can't imagine month 2 where you are supposed to do 2 of the workouts in a row on some days. That said, it is definitely working. In 2 weeks (and not sticking to the schedule because I can only work out 4 days a week instead of 6) I have noticed a definite improvement pretty much everywhere. My abs are slowly starting to show and my arms/shoulders/chest look leaner. I think it's great but I'll admit I'm already dreading tomorrow morning.

#350 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

I would hate doing that kind of stuff. I'm sticking with strength training :)

#351 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

It sucks... but you feel awesome when it is over. I can't even keep up though. I mean I estimate I'm only doing about 80% of what is shown in the video. Maybe less. I can't do the suicides nearly as fast - same thing with the high jumps. Other things I can easily keep up with though so I'm sure it will just be a matter of repetition.

#352 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

Yeah...circuit training can really Fuck you up good, but you get good results. I saw the fit test and I knew right away that it wan't for me. Kudos for sticking with it though!

#353 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

Ordered some Animal Pak. First time. I'll post how I feel when it gets here.

Good, good. I think it's the best multi-type-product out there. :)

And good luck with the American Ninja Warrior audition. Sounds neat!

Sorta tentative, but here's what 190 pounds looked like before I sat on the sideline for 2 months (and before I shaved my head bald). I'm a bit leaner at around 184 pounds, and my body fat is lower at 9-percent body fat.

I think Friday rounds out a good two weeks without supplements (aside from Animal Pak as my multi). I think perhaps Urijah Faber's "I don't take supplements" statement could possibly be less impossible than I initially thought. With the amount of cardio I do, there's no good, efficient way I go back up to 190 without supplements in the next four months. Five to seven pounds of muscle never felt so difficult to attain. Hahaha...

Digging the routine, Allnatural. :) I may have missed it, but I'd add lunges. Some people use an Olympic bar, but I rock the dumbbells for that exercise. I think it requires more control. Squats, I use the Olympic bar, tho. I've clashed knee to dumbbell one too many times to use dumbbells during squats.

#354 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Fucking hell. Another week of Insanity down and I STILL haven't lost that goddamn pound. I'm stuck on 181 - I thought for sure I'd see the scale say 179.X this morning because I'm feeling VERY lean - my waist is noticeably smaller than it was 4 weeks ago (according to every belt I own) but the scale hasn't moved. My clothes are all just hanging off of me too. I guess shifting weight around is cool and all but for some reason I have that magical 180 lb. threshold in my head as something I've been striving towards for almost a year now (I started my "diet" on February 28 of 2011).

#355 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

Fucking hell. Another week of Insanity down and I STILL haven't lost that goddamn pound. I'm stuck on 181 - I thought for sure I'd see the scale say 179.X this morning because I'm feeling VERY lean - my waist is noticeably smaller than it was 4 weeks ago (according to every belt I own) but the scale hasn't moved. My clothes are all just hanging off of me too. I guess shifting weight around is cool and all but for some reason I have that magical 180 lb. threshold in my head as something I've been striving towards for almost a year now (I started my "diet" on February 28 of 2011).

Keep at it, you'll get there. Losing inches is great too! Last time I did this when I wanted to break the weight goal, I did insane amounts of Cardio to get there. Im talking about sustained heart rates into the 190's for extended periods of time. It was the only way for me to break up the visceral fat.

http://www.webmd.com...about-belly-fat

How Can I Control Visceral Fat?

There are four keys: exercise, diet, sleep, and stress management.

Exercise: Forget spot-reducing. There aren't any moves that specifically target visceral fat. As you lose weight, you lose all types of fat.
But vigorous aerobic exercise has been shown to trim subcutaneous and visceral fat, even fat stores in the liver linked to fatty liver disease. It's also proven to slow the build-up of visceral fat over the years.

It might be hiding in places you don't suspect.

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

#356 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the link. I'm doing about all the cardio I can handle (insanity workout followed by stomach exercises followed by 35 minutes on the elliptical). I am a mess after my workout and I'm actually thinking about toning it down a little because I'm just too tired during the rest of the day to think properly... I don't know.

#357 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Javery, I wouldn't worry about the weight as long as you're looking and feeling much better. I probably couldn't go back to under 130 from my early 20's(I'm 5'6) without losing a lot of muscle and would probably be better off at 140-145(160 now).

Chase, your arms and shoulders look great. I need to build up my delts like that...haha.

#358 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Digging the routine, Allnatural. :) I may have missed it, but I'd add lunges. Some people use an Olympic bar, but I rock the dumbbells for that exercise. I think it requires more control. Squats, I use the Olympic bar, tho. I've clashed knee to dumbbell one too many times to use dumbbells during squats.

Split squats. Basically a stationary lunge. I do those because I don't have a barbell for regular squats (and yes, dumbbells smashing against knees is unpleasant).

#359 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'm looking for a good collection of stretches, especially for my legs with all these squats I'm doing.

What do you guys do?

seanr1221.png

#360 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:53 AM

When I started the 5x5, it had me doing 65lb squats.

Today, I did 5x5 squats at 135lbs. Felt good and didn't have any issues with them.

seanr1221.png