- - - - -

CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

• Please log in to reply
1681 replies to this topic

#391 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

Nicely done, Sean. Hard work pays.

I'm gonna dick around on CAG for a bit then hit a condensed workout before work. It has become a habit. If I don't, I feel like crap the entire day until I do.

#392 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Nicely done, Sean. Hard work pays.

I'm gonna dick around on CAG for a bit then hit a condensed workout before work. It has become a habit. If I don't, I feel like crap the entire day until I do.

Thanks. The interesting part is the majority of progress has been in the past 7 weeks when I started the strong lifts program.

My fiancé has been saying I look more muscular but I figured she was just being nice. I think it's most obvious in my shoulders and arms, which is funny because I've done like 4 arm isolation exercises since I started SL. I'll update with another picture at 12 weeks.

#393 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Thanks. The interesting part is the majority of progress has been in the past 7 weeks when I started the strong lifts program.

My fiancé has been saying I look more muscular but I figured she was just being nice. I think it's most obvious in my shoulders and arms, which is funny because I've done like 4 arm isolation exercises since I started SL. I'll update with another picture at 12 weeks.

Yeah...there's definitely a difference in your arms and shoulders...as in it looks like you had no trapezius before.:lol:

Great progress!

#394 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Nice work Sean. You can definitely see a difference.

Today was my weekly weigh-in and I'm sitting pretty at 180.4 lbs. So so close to getting under 180. Also, I'm having a much easier time with the Insanity workouts now - I still think I'm going to puke after every workout but I'm definitely getting better at it.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#395 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

Ah. Strong lifts program, aye? That is your answer for your results. Low reps with heavier weight will build more muscle. On the flip side, more reps will build muscle endurance.

Not exactly an exciting way to close out my Friday, but I'm rebuilding my routine from the ground up. Cycling out exercises to keep things fresh. Tagging back in the goblet squats.

Javery, what does your diet look like? If you consume excess salt your body will retain water. I did a cut down to 170, for fun (my walking weight is presently around 185), and it's interesting to see how much water your body retains if you don't carefully groom over what is consumed. And I'm sure you'll be down under 180 in no time. :)

Keep up the good work, everyone!

#396 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

Also, I'm having a much easier time with the Insanity workouts now - I still think I'm going to puke after every workout but I'm definitely getting better at it.

No kidding. After my first hit of Insanity, my legs said "Oh no you don't" and gave up. Can't remember the last time that had happened. I pushed onward...and downward. Post-workout, face down on the carpet for 20 minutes, wife wondering if I was OK. Sore for the next 4 days.

Totally worth it.

Started this whole thing at just shy of 200lbs and now sitting at 166.6 - my college weight.

Other crazy benefits of going on the 4-Hour Body - total cholesterol dropped from 251 to 171 in the past 8 months. LDLs (the bad kind) from 166 to 98.

Was basically in the high risk area. Now I'm in optimal range.

Same with BP - was borderline high, now it's 120/80. Vitamin D is perfect, too, at 41.

#397 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Javery, what does your diet look like? If you consume excess salt your body will retain water. I did a cut down to 170, for fun (my walking weight is presently around 185), and it's interesting to see how much water your body retains if you don't carefully groom over what is consumed. And I'm sure you'll be down under 180 in no time. :)

My diet is OK - it could probably be better but not without feeling like I'm depriving myself of something.

Breakfast: egg whites, 2 slices of lean ham, 1 serving of fruit
Snack: Fruit
Lunch: ham sandwich on roll with lettuce, tomato and honey mustard. Small bag of Baked Lays.
Snack: Fruit and a protein shake
Dinner: Whatever is in the house. I have a wife and 2 kids so I just eat whatever is there - one serving. My wife is health conscious though so it is usually chicken and a salad. Last night was ground turkey tacos. We order out occasionally though (pizza, sushi).

I drink a ton of water all day long - I pee almost clear.

The weekends are harder but I do OK - I do have a tough time getting from my second snack to dinner. I'm usually hungry when I get home and probably 3 times a week I eat a handful of pretzels to curb my appetite.

Any suggestions on how to improve this without feeling like a "diet"? I work a LOT with very unpredictable hours and this routine is hard enough for me to maintain...

No kidding. After my first hit of Insanity, my legs said "Oh no you don't" and gave up. Can't remember the last time that had happened. I pushed onward...and downward. Post-workout, face down on the carpet for 20 minutes, wife wondering if I was OK. Sore for the next 4 days.

Totally worth it.

Started this whole thing at just shy of 200lbs and now sitting at 166.6 - my college weight.

Other crazy benefits of going on the 4-Hour Body - total cholesterol dropped from 251 to 171 in the past 8 months. LDLs (the bad kind) from 166 to 98.

Was basically in the high risk area. Now I'm in optimal range.

Same with BP - was borderline high, now it's 120/80. Vitamin D is perfect, too, at 41.

Awesome! Keep it going! What is 4-Hour Body? Is that another Insanity-type exercise routine? I saw some crazy infomercial this morning where some chick was basically dancing to lose weight!

#398 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

To me, needs more protein, vegetables and (good) fats. But then it would be more like my typical day :p

seanr1221.png

#399 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

For some reason I thought I did my last weigh in last Friday, not the 13th. Did my weigh in last night and was just under 209 (208.6-208.8) so I'll stick with 209 as my weight in number. Feels good so far, if I would be doing more cardio vs lifting I think that number would be lower but I'm not hung up on it. I tend to walk a lot, most days 4-5 miles, and I absolutely loathe running.

Hoping to be under 205 by next friday. I don't watch my diet as much as some of you guys, it's neat that you guys can live on a rigid schedule like that but it just isn't for me. I try to limit myself to junk food, usually every other day. No red meat for me, just personal preference/reasons. Maybe at some point I'll drop cookies/pizza, but for right now I don't mind a few cookies after my veggie snack lol.

Typed this on my phone, so if it looks stupid sorry.

#400 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Yeah, I don't know if I could do a strict diet regimen either. I try to stay away from processed foods as much as I can by eating a lot of fruit, but it's kinda hard to avoid. It's just so damned tasty!:D

#401 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Yeah, I don't know if I could do a strict diet regimen either. I try to stay away from processed foods as much as I can by eating a lot of fruit, but it's kinda hard to avoid. It's just so damned tasty!:D

I know right? My thoughts on the whole diet is this. My body doesn't need to get used to having xxxx amount of calories per day, coming from x, y, and z food, because at some point in time I am not just going to eat that food. At that point, I don't need my body to go into "food shock" because my diet changes and immediately gain weight. As long as I exercise regularly and don't eat a ton of crappy foods I feel like I'll be just fine.
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Gentleman's League Record:
Season 1: 7-9 Missed Playoffs
Season 2: 18-1 Superbowl Champs

#402 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

For me, I can't even go all out on cheat meals. Ever since I moved to high protein and fat, carbs give me terrible diarrhea (to be blunt).

Sugar really hurts my stomach when I eat too much now. Like a bag of candy kills me.

#403 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

For me, I can't even go all out on cheat meals. Ever since I moved to high protein and fat, carbs give me terrible diarrhea (to be blunt).

Sugar really hurts my stomach when I eat too much now. Like a bag of candy kills me.

I can definitely see the candy killing you, any candy I eat makes me sick. And ya, thats what I'm trying to avoid. The whole body dependence on just one type of meal, though if it works for you it works for you don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to hate on what works for you.

#404 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

Awesome! Keep it going! What is 4-Hour Body? Is that another Insanity-type exercise routine? I saw some crazy infomercial this morning where some chick was basically dancing to lose weight!

4-Hour Body is mostly dietary, a seeming blend of Paleo and Slow-Carb diet. Book author is Tim Ferriss, somewhat known for his self-experimenting.

Lost the 30+ pounds strictly through diet, and I ate like crazy. Cut out all fruit, all dairy, everything white (except cauliflower, sauerkraut and egg whites =), added slow carbs (beans and legumes), as well as healthy veggies, to meat, fish, eggs, etc. You get one cheat day a week, which I recommend, as it not only staves off cravings, but jolts the body into overdrive, especially once you're on 'the diet' again the next day.

Started working out a few months back and kicking it into high gear now. A lot easier when the excess weight is already gone.

#405 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

Diets, eh? Well, I'm vegan. No issue sliding between vegan and vegetarianism, tho. Minus dairy. Not a fan. Or honey, come to think of it. And I'm not a fan of eggs— Hmm. But yeah, I try to consume as little sugar as possible and keep my salt intake down.

Like what Sean said, I can't eat things with high amounts of sugar without feeling ill. Recently, I discovered that I actually get ill at the smell of meat. I was out and said, "Eh, some meat won't kill me," and ordered some fish. Plopped that sucker into my mouth and became pretty nauseous. I spit it out and lost a few Man cards.

I GUESS I'M STUCK THIS WAY.

In regards to less rigid diets that work, I recommend the Dolce diet. Mike Dolce has apparently devised something that has helped a lot of fighters. Some people swear by it.

#406 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:46 AM

I don't watch my diet as much as some of you guys, it's neat that you guys can live on a rigid schedule like that but it just isn't for me.

fwiw, the stuff I eat (it doesn't change much) is stuff I like to eat, so it's easy to stick to my regimen, but I'm also not totally depriving myself. If the guys at work pick up some pizzas, I'll have a couple slices.

#407 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

fwiw, the stuff I eat (it doesn't change much) is stuff I like to eat, so it's easy to stick to my regimen, but I'm also not totally depriving myself. If the guys at work pick up some pizzas, I'll have a couple slices.

Same. I like my diet routine. Also, it is unrealistic to think I'll never eat bad food at some point. I'm strict most of the time but I'll go off the routine a few times a week. It works for me.

#408 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

Definitely had to look up what fwiw on urban dictionary but I know what you mean. Sticking to similar routines makes paying attention to the amount of fats/sugars/salts that you eat. If I could have pizza everyday I would, but it is absolutely awful for you lol.

Chase, I've always thought about cutting more meat products out of my life bit just haven't made the jump. The one thing I have done is cut out red meat, but I can't give up chicken/turkey. Dairy is a huge part of my life (I'm living in Wisconsin, if there isn't multiple meals in a week that don't involve cheese you're doing it wrong). Very cool that you made the jump. How long have you been vegan?

#409 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

If you've found something that works, stick with it. :) That's why there are so many legit diets out there. Some work. Some don't work as well. Everyone's different. I'm pretty rigid with my diet so when I go out to eat with friends, or on dates, I have to know exactly what I'm putting into my body. Definitely bothersome sometimes. Sometimes, amusing for others.

Hey, Troy. I've been vegan off-and-on throughout my adult life. This latest stretch has been eight months. :) When I'm not vegan, I just go the vegetarian route. My vegetarianism started way back at the beginning of college. I was a fat kid and did some awful things to my body to get where I am today.

And I imagine cutting out dairy in Wisconsin is a crime punishable by up to a year of jail time and 48-hours of mandatory cheese-eating. ;) In my head, it's easy to keep in my vegan pocket because a.) meat now causes nausea, b.) I remember eating turkey/chicken, discovering hard lumps while chewing and being grossed out, c.) there are plenty of options for protein and nutrients. Nutrition has come a long, long way since I was a kid. Seitan and various beans pack a lot of protein. I drink soy milk for calcium, vitamins, and extra protein. I take Animal Pak for most of my vitamins. In general, meat isn't exactly suited for humans, and there's just a lot of ways to fortify my system without it.

#410 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Tuesday Weigh-In

Height: 6'0
Starting Weight (1/1): 250.6 lbs
Last week's Weigh-in: 217.8 lbs
This week's Weigh-in: 214.0 lbs
Pounds Gained/Lost this week: -3.8 lbs
Pounds Gained/Lost total: -36.6 lbs
Goal weight (200 lbs): 14.0 lbs to go

I have to admit, I'm shocked I was able to drop as much weight this week that I did. I missed out on 2 workout days due to work and the holiday yesterday. Not to mention, I've been eating a little more foods from the snack aisle, than regular food. I'm still staying within my WW points (one of the reasons I like Weight Watchers) but they definately are not as filling, which makes it a little tough on the family members...I tend to get crabby when I'm hungry. This week, I'm staying away from that stuff.

I'm shooting to be under 210 this week...I think I can.

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

#411 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Damn 83, you keep losing. Nice job!

Excited for Friday. I plan on squatting 200lbs.

#412 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Wow nice job 83. Never hurts to give your body a little break and recuperation period.
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

#413 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

83 - you must feel awesome. You could be under 200 by the end of March - there's no better feeling that seeing the scale say 1XX lbs. after working so hard. Keep it up!

#414 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the support! This thread has been a big help!

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

#415 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Great job 83!

#416 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

83, 36 pounds in 7 weeks? Is that right?? I think it says you started 1/1

#417 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

83, 36 pounds in 7 weeks? Is that right?? I think it says you started 1/1

Yup, I lost 15 of them in the first 10 days, and then I've been averaging between 2-4 per since. I think it was because I was consuming so many calories before, that when I started my Weight Watchers and cardio exercise, it was such a shock to my system it reignited my metabolism.

I fully expect to plateau any day now, at which point I'll need to run a marathon or eat a piece of chocolate cake or something to confuse the hell out of my body...I'm leaning towards the cake. ;)

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

#418 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

Yup, I lost 15 of them in the first 10 days, and then I've been averaging between 2-4 per since. I think it was because I was consuming so many calories before, that when I started my Weight Watchers and cardio exercise, it was such a shock to my system it reignited my metabolism.

I fully expect to plateau any day now, at which point I'll need to run a marathon or eat a piece of chocolate cake or something to confuse the hell out of my body...I'm leaning towards the cake. ;)

FWIW, you are going about this exactly the right way. 2-2.5 lbs. per week is a great pace. It may not seem like much but if you look ahead and said by Memorial Day you would be in the mid 180s you'd take that in a heartbeat.

#419 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Wow! Nice job, 83. That is ridiculously well done.

#420 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

One thing I've noticed since focusing on eating better/working out is I've been sleeping much better. Usually would wake up 2-3 times per night, but I've been sleeping like a baby lately. It isn't that I am tired during the day, but once 10:30-10:45 hits I feel like I got hit by a bus full of tired pills.