Photo
- - - - -

CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

• Please log in to reply
1692 replies to this topic

#811 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:19 AM

I find talking about it helps...in some weird way. Like watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on Food Network.

That makes it 100x worse for me. I just get hungry and go to the kitchen to look for food.

@troy: What kind of grass do you have that needs to be cut twice a week? Bamboo?
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#812 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

After complaining to a friend that sometimes I don't have much energy for workouts, he recommended I try a pre-workout supp.

After browsing around, I went with White Flood.

First workout was tonight. I wasn't expecting much, but damn, I had more energy! Ended up putting more reps into every exercise tonight!

Except...it's a couple hours later, and, I'm on the toilet. :lol: Dunno if that's from the supp or from the loaded (veggies) sub I had earlier today.

#813 Chase

Chase

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:24 AM

@blindinglights Astroturf?

And well done, Rig. I was a big proponent of 1MR when I used supplements.

#814 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Weigh in Wednesday: 184.5

#815 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

I think I want to change things up.

Doing the 5x5 has definitely given me strength, but I feel like I'm stalling/getting sloppy. Here's what I'm thinking.

A clean diet around 1700 calories.

Day 1
- squats 5x5 at 185
- bench 5x5 at 135
- rows 5x5 at 135

Day 2
- run
- planks/ leg lifts

Day 3
- overhead press 5x5 at 95
- deadlift 1x5 at 245 (keep bringing this up)

Day 4
- run
- planks/ leg lifts

Day 5
- squats 5x5 at 185
- bench 5x5 at 135
- rows 5x5 at 135

Day 6 and 7 rest

I wonder how this will go. I really think I need to work on my form.

#816 mightymek

mightymek

Welcome to the Gutter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Weigh in Wednesday: 184.5

Congrats dude! That's great you've gotten that low.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I weighed in at 193.8 this morning, which is still lower, but not where I want to be. I am eating a great, high protein, low carb and low calorie diet during the week, doing the Power 90 workout 6 days a week, and on the weekends, eating ok, but cheating here and there. I expected to be quite a bit lower by now. I am not stuffing my face on the weekends, so I didn't think the little cheating would cancel out the rest of the week's work. I am going out with drinking with friends once a week (just got divorced, so I'm trying to be social). Kind of frustrating, though. I would think I'd be able to have 5 beers a week and some non-breaded chicken wings and still lose weight with the strict diet and exercise the rest of the week...but I guess not. :-/

13374.png

Scars of Life is back in 2013. As heard on the UFC!
New album A HEART STILL BEATS is out now!  Be sure to check us out on iTunes: http://itunes.apple....-life/id6136926

#817 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Honestly, you probably aren't doing anything wrong. You've probably lost weight (fat) while gaining weight (muscle). I've been biking a ton lately, I think that is what has really stepped up my weightloss. In addition to doing 5-6 miles of walking a day (7 days a week). I keep my calories pretty low during the early part of the day and eat a ton at night to be honest. I also weight lift, which I know raises my metabolism. I've been pretty fit my whole life other than my 5-6 month span that I gained this weight, so I think that kind of helps with my weightloss.

Your body will get the message to lose weight though, don't worry. All of a sudden you'll kick past your hump and drop 4-5 pounds in the next week and a half.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#818 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Congrats dude! That's great you've gotten that low.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I weighed in at 193.8 this morning, which is still lower, but not where I want to be. I am eating a great, high protein, low carb and low calorie diet during the week, doing the Power 90 workout 6 days a week, and on the weekends, eating ok, but cheating here and there. I expected to be quite a bit lower by now. I am not stuffing my face on the weekends, so I didn't think the little cheating would cancel out the rest of the week's work. I am going out with drinking with friends once a week (just got divorced, so I'm trying to be social). Kind of frustrating, though. I would think I'd be able to have 5 beers a week and some non-breaded chicken wings and still lose weight with the strict diet and exercise the rest of the week...but I guess not. :-/

You are doing everything right. Since I started Insanity back in February I've lost like 5 lbs. max (probably less) but everything is moving around, muscle weighs more than fat, etc. so I'm OK with it even though I really want to get to 175 for some psychological reason (I hover around 180).

The beer might not be helping but it's not like you are going overboard and you are certainly exercising enough. I'd just keep it going.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#819 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yeah your body composition will change and your weight may not necessarily go down at all. I was 133 in march put I on 7+ pounds. It was real quick too. I was eating more granted but not enough to put on that much that fast. I also started my squats and running again and my legs have definitely gotten stronger as well as my bench even if only marginally.

Now I've been dieting again and working out and I'm not losing a ton of weight but I'm definitely leaning out and I'm ok with that. At some point in the future id even like to weigh as much as 160 at 5'8" if I can add it all in lean mass. For the summer though I'm going to lean out. Ill add weight in the fall and winter and lean back out next summer.

@chase
I believe it was you, sorry if not, who told me to take in more complex carbs to aid me with my lethargy and low energy levels. Well thanks! It has as far as I can tell worked so far. Coasting through a deficit isn't nearly as hard as it used to be. I still think I might be eating a little under my needs even for losing weight but right now I feel ok so I will ride with it

#820 mightymek

mightymek

Welcome to the Gutter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thanks guys. It's always nice coming to this thread and hearing from everyone's personal experience. I actually plan on getting my bike fixed up (it's a little rusty since it's been sitting on my patio for 3 years unused) so I can ride on days that I do sculpting on Power 90 instead of cardio, to get some cardio calories burned. I am sure that will help lose the fat. I do see a difference. My pants are bigger, and my shirts I buy are smaller, but my stomach, while smaller, seems to be going down the slowest, and that's the part I want gone the fastest, lol. I definitely see muscle growing. I almost cried when I looked in the mirror and flexed...I had never seen that before, lol. But I will keep doing what I've been doing, and adding a little extra cardio as well, and not worry so much about the digits as opposed to the view. Thanks again!

13374.png

New album A HEART STILL BEATS is out now!  Be sure to check us out on iTunes: http://itunes.apple....-life/id6136926

#821 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Numbers are the devil. I didn't have a scale for a long time b/c I didn't care what I weighed, I cared about the fit of my clothes and how I looked physically. I bought one a few months ago, and now I know why I didn't buy one. Ugh.

I don't check in (here) much, but I got some momentum working. I was 225 last christmas, probably peaked at 235 last year at some point. Today I'm in the 192-194 range (also of note: never dropped below 200 since I was 15-16, and I'm in my mid-30's today). Run a lot (4-7 miles 6 days a week), lift a few days a week, and have 1-2 cheat days a week. Not into any strict diet other than not buying processed crap. A constant supply of fresh veggies and fruits from the local co-op.

I do drink a good amount of beer, and if my abdominals are slightly less visible because I sit on my stoop at night and have a beer, I'm comfortable with that. My goal is to be fit and happy and healthy, not be on the cover of some dude bro magazine.
Posted Image

#822 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:03 AM

Blinding, weight loss is pretty low on the list of benefits of exercise. You can easily drop the pounds without getting active.

It's important to go with what's backed by science. In the simplest sense sugar is the issue. Problem is eating excessive carbs will turn to sugar. There's a reason a diabetic on a low carb diet will have their blood sugar go down.

Play the High fructose corn syrup game. Look how many foods contain it. It's disgusting.

IMO anyone who is trying to lose weight should be playing the HFCS game, I alone lost 25lbs JUST from cutting out HFCS, I did not do anything else, and I didn't exercise any more than normal. I just started eating better, making sure I don't eat HFCS in anything and eating more fruits and veggies. I think it really works. I have also kept the weight off for like 4-5 years. I am really sedentary, but I still lost weight. I am also battling various foot problems and a previous ankle injury which still nags sometimes which is why I am sedentary, I won't go into grave details, but it really sucks when your feet hurt and you want to move around instead of being confined to a chair. I am at a time right now where my feet are feeling pretty good now, lets just hope it stays that way so I can walk a lot this summer.

Also unless you are on a really strict diet a little bit of ice cream is ok, if you are eating it at home measure out 1/2 cup which is a serving, and only have it like once a week. A lot of ice cream has HFCS but you can get kinds without it. I eat a little bit of candy every day, but just 1 bite since I have a terrible sweet tooth. Most candy actually doesn't have HFCS, and yes I shouldn't be eating it and I know that, but I have to have that little bit of sweet in my life. If you are at the ice cream shop with friends or you are forced to be there just get a baby cone, its amazing how large a baby cone actually is, it will be more than enough. Sometimes you have to ask as a lot of places don't have baby size on the menu but they do have it if you ask. It won't hurt if you only get it a couple times a summer.

#823 Chase

Chase

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:57 AM

Congrats, Troy. Per usual. I'm sorta unimpressed that you've continued to keep on task this entire time. Where's the suspense and drama in this story? ;)

Mek, diets can be tricky. Everyone's different. Not gonna go at length about my dietary guidelines, as I think I've done that ad nauseam. In general, unused protein can become fat. And I'd avoid "cheat days." Drinking once a week should minimally affect your progress—unless you're drinking a ton during that one day. Keep at it. Everyone plateaus. It's like that Rocky quote: It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. :)

#824 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Alright. This is weak but whatever:

Spoiler

So my wife is now 2 days past her due date and I'm starting to freak out (I can only imagine how she feels). I'm thinking this will be very good or very bad for my diet - there will be no in between. Either I eat to calm the nerves or I don't eat anything because I'm too nervous. I've been pooping a lot and not eating so I'm thinking it's the latter. Fingers crossed!

#825 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

Better than nothing! Arm definition looks pretty good there :)

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

#826 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

Alright. This is weak but whatever:

Spoiler

So my wife is now 2 days past her due date and I'm starting to freak out (I can only imagine how she feels). I'm thinking this will be very good or very bad for my diet - there will be no in between. Either I eat to calm the nerves or I don't eat anything because I'm too nervous. I've been pooping a lot and not eating so I'm thinking it's the latter. Fingers crossed!

I can't see the pic because the site is blocked at my work. But I wanted to chime in and say hang in there! Good luck with the delivery!!!

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

#827 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Ya, I'm thinking it'll be a weightloss week for Javery lol. I'm so glad my wife and I have been waiting on children, I don't want to even think about how stressful that would be.

#828 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Thanks guys! I'm hoping it will be a weight loss week for me - I sure as hell won't be sleeping. I weighed in at 180.2 this morning so right in the zone. I'd still like to hit 175 though. I'm generally OK with everywhere except my lower abs (who is actually happy about their abs other than the Situation?). I've got pretty good definition in my arms and legs and back and shoulders - just need to work on the middle. I stopped with the protein shakes and I think I'm going to start that up again. One a day in the afternoon really worked wonders for both my physique and my appetite.

#829 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Javery looks ripped

#830 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Javery looks ripped

Thanks - I do OK. Still need to work on the middle though. Ugh.

#831 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Stepped on the scale today. 183. That's about 10 pounds heavier than when I started strong lifts over 12 weeks ago. Definitely starting my cut today. Sticking to that plan above, except I was told to do 3x5 since I'll be on a calorie deficit and I'll have less energy.

Might start posting what I'm eating. It'll encourage me to stay on target.

Breakfast 237 calories
- two eggs, 1 egg white, 2 pieces of bacon

Lunch 669 calories
- 2 burger patties, lettuce, slice of tomato, cup of strawberries

Dinner 607 calories
- 12 oz of pork loin, 1.5 cups green beans mixed with olive oil

Snack 140
- scoop of whey

Total- 1653 calories, 23 carbs, 175 protein

#832 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

I just don't have the drive to eat specific food at specific meals, I think it would make me feel trapped lol. Whats the average weight you carry sean?

Any news on the baby front Javery?

#833 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Spoiler

There's my starting point.

Troy, since I'm on the road most of the day going from client to client, I find it easier to plan all my meals when I wake up :)

Not sure about your weight question. I'm 183, or do you mean how much am I lifting?

Edited by seanr1221, 21 May 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#834 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

The 183. You said you are going to do a cut and I was just trying to get an idea of your physical numbers, height/weight.

#835 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Looks like my picture link isn't working. Stupid mobile image shack.

Yeah I'm 183, 5'8

Edit fixed the picture.

Edited by seanr1221, 21 May 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#836 AndrewCP

AndrewCP

I'veGotBallsOfSteel!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Patience is key and even if you plateau stick with it, perhaps changing up some things here and there. I started off pretty lean beginning of the year and decided why not eat a bunch while working out? I mean I'd gain a lot more muscle and barely any fat right? But oh boy I gained probably 15-20lbs of fat in no time and became disgusted with myself.

Just a few weeks ago I started doing cardio and weights again and with some patience I can finally see the unnecessary fat melting off my body again. I feel and look better lean so I think I'm going to just maintain that and slowly add the muscle (which seems to work better for me anyway). Plan to be shredded again by summer and all I'll need afterwards is a nice tan to bring out the definition further.
Posted Image
Thanks to QiG for the kick-ass Duke Nukem Cocksmas Avatar

#837 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

Any news on the baby front Javery?

Baby was born today (12:28 AM)! I am exhausted and I obviously skipped the workout this morning. I'm hoping I can get back to the gym on Wednesday but it might be a week off for me. I'm also eating a ton - just nerves in the delivery room and dealing with a newborn. I don't care - it's awesome.

#838 mightymek

mightymek

Welcome to the Gutter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:31 AM

Baby was born today (12:28 AM)! I am exhausted and I obviously skipped the workout this morning. I'm hoping I can get back to the gym on Wednesday but it might be a week off for me. I'm also eating a ton - just nerves in the delivery room and dealing with a newborn. I don't care - it's awesome.

Congratulations man! That's awesome news.

13374.png

#839 jbuck138

jbuck138

Wario for President!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

Congrats javery. Welcome to many sleepless nights again.

#840 Chase

Chase

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:04 AM

Dude! Nice arms, Javery! I feel a need to put more effort into what I do. I love a good competition. And I'm never happy about my abs. Hahaha...

Looking over your diet, Sean. I'm vegan but I like what you're doing. Well-proportioned.

Good luck with your goals, AndrewCP. :)

Reading through the page— Oh hey! Congrats on the baby, Javery! Nice work!