CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

seanr1221

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
So between the Obesity thread and the Fitness thread, I thought this might be a fun topic to start.

A lot of CAGs started using the 'Lose It!' app on their iPhones or Android devices. 'Lose It!' helps you set a goal weight, track your calories and exercise and contains a database full of foods from restaurants, grocery stores and pretty much any place you can think. You can also track nutrition and see how many grams of Fat, Carbs and Protein you're taking it.

If you create an account, you can become friends with people and track their progress too.

My account name is [email protected]

I figured we'd use this thread to motivate people, track each other's progress, give advice and post before and after pictures for the full effect.

I'll start off.

I'm 24, 5'8, 174 pounds. I'd like to cut down about 15-20 pounds. 'Lose It!' has me eating a little over 1800 calories a day to meet this goal by January.

Here is my before picture...

photo1hw.jpg

My diet is pretty consistent throughout the week.

Breakfast is Egg Whites (3) and Turkey Bacon (3).

Lunch is 1TBS of natural Peanut Butter on Whole Wheat Bread and a 1/4 cup of Almonds.

Dinner is Skinless Chicken (8oz) and Broccoli (2cups).

I'll take a scoop of Whey Protein mixed with water before and after I work out.

I encourage other people to post their stories, their goals, their "Lose It!" usernames and their before pictures.

Good luck everyone! :bouncy:

nice ill have to grab that app asap, right now i just type what i ate in a notepad file :lol:

anyways, i guess i'll be the guy that's looking to gain weight here.

height:5'5-5'6
current weight:118 lb

my goal is to reach a steady 125 lb by the end of December, just want to fill out a bit more. im not getting any taller and i don't want to look too stocky, but i'm really small guy right now and have weighed the same for the past 6 years -- so 125 lbs sounds just right to me.

before:
lUhYN.jpg

right now im eating oatmeal with sliced banana every morning. for lunch I have some combination of eggs, turkey bacon or turkey breakfast links, and green pepper. dinner is usually white or brown rice with eggs, black beans, broccoli and turkey or fish. almonds or bananas with peanut butter for snacks in between, and i drink lots of milk. with one whey shake i can get around 115g of protein in a day, so im considering having two shakes on workout days to get me more in the green.

it's tough for me to eat food when i'm truly perfectly satisfied, and im on a pretty tight budget at college right now, so i'm still experimenting with what foods will take me the farthest at the lowest cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll check out that app and get in on this. I've been using Noom lately, but not as religiously as I need to. I had lost a lot of weight when I was working a normal 9-5 job, but since I switched to a 3 day schedule, I've gained way too much :nottalking: Ideally, I'd love to be back down to a spandex body by Power Morphicon next August, but I have realistic goals. I'd be happy to see 215 by the end of the year, and then take it from there.

My biggest problem (aside from being so lethargic) is diet -- I'm lactose intolerant and have some sort of IBS, so I'm never entirely sure what foods are going to set my stomach off. Even eating some carrots at work last week put me in the bathroom an hour later :cry:

Height: 6'3"
Current weight: 229.6 lbs
Goal weight: 215 lbs

Maybe I'll try the picture again tomorrow with a less busy shirt...but that'll do for now.

Edit: Created my profile, [email protected]

^^ Plus black is pretty slimming =]

I'm 5'11 and 198 last time I checked. Wouldn't mind loosing about 20 lbs or so, along with building up some muscle. Currently, I do jack shit so would need to get off my ass first, heh.

I would like get Body fat % down from current of around 20% to low 10's.

Ok, I'm down for this.

Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 279lbs (That was about two weeks ago, so I am hoping it is less now.)
Goal: 200lbs

I would like to be near 200lbs by the time I turn 20 and be in some better physical shape. I currently try to bike 3 days a week (MWF) and I do PT with my class every T and TH morning which is a variety of strength and cardio training.

On class days, I have a cup of 1% milk with a scoop of Whey protein powder and a Builder's Bar after PT for my breakfast. I usually have a PBJ sandwich on wheat bread with a handful of baby carrots for lunch. Dinner is usually a grilled chicken breast with two different kinds of veggies depending on what I have available.

On days that I don't have class, I usually have 3 scrambled eggs with a piece of fruit for breakfast and I don't really have set lunch and dinner, but I try to have it similar to what I have on T and TH.

Lose It! suggests I need to eat 2,362 calories a day to reach my goal by June of 2012, which would mean losing 2lbs a week. I think this seems a bit high to me and I will probably try to go for 1,800 to 2,000 calories a day depending on my exercise level.

I'll put up a before picture when I can get a good one.

Account name: [email protected]

I'm in, got the app and started today.

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 223.8 lbs as of this morning
Goal: 195 lbs by Christmas

I've already lost quite a bit of weight as it is, but I've slacked off on the diet after hitting a plateau a month and a half ago and I've just been stuck at the same weight since.

I'm really hoping to ramp up my workouts too since I'm not really reaching that level of intensity that I had been.

Will make an account for adding friends later since I don't want to subject my personal email to spam by posting it here.

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 160 lbs (estimated body fat %: 22%)
Goal: cut down body fat to 10% ~ 12% by Christmas

I highlight body fat cause I'm not interested in losing weight, but cutting down on excess fat. How do you guys lose weight while retaining muscle mass?

Damn, I was using the Livestrong app which I paid for :cry:

Anyhow, this is a good idea, OP. Count me in.

I'm 6'2, 252 lbs, 29 going on 30 in a few mos.

I'd like to get to 220 or so.

Another good app is Libra for Android. It is free even though i donated. It helped me lose 75lbs in the last year.

Weight: 179.4 lbs (Started at 255 lbs last June)
Goal: Dont really have one now, i still eat well and i run about 25-30 miles a week. 180 was my official Goal weight. Im still dropping since i started to Run, but one goal is to actually get through a P90x Session

Just downloaded the app.

Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 250 ish (Will check at home.)
Ultimate Goal: 185 lbs.
Supposed to go to the Caribbean next summer, so just don't want to be rolled back into the water to the sounds of Free Willy :)

im in. i let myself go, 3 years ago i was 250 got down to 185 was fairly muscular working out a lot but that all went downhill. i have bad habbits i really need to address. i binge way to much when im feeling down i eat and drink like theres no tomorrow. this will be a good way to be accountable. time to start working out again and eating less.

Age- 28
Height - 5'8
Weight - 230
Goal - 190-200

Now that some other people that weigh more than 200lbs are in I will join too.

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 296lbs
Goal: 250lbs(Ultimate goal is 200lbs, but I think this should be done in two intervals. First 50 is going to go a lot faster)

Lose It actually wants me to consume just under 2500 calories a day. That does sound high. I figured it would suggest 1800 because that's what I hear men need. Downloaded yesterday and plugged in all my meals and it only came up to 1400. I've been trying to not eat fast food during the workweek, but I usually do not pack my lunch when I go to work. Last week I cut out all soda and burgers from my diet so the numbers are much lower than my body was used to. I have not lost any weight yet.

*edit*
Account created on Lose It!
Username: [email protected]

^ it's telling you 2,500 because it tries to bring you down gradually, which is the way it's supposed to be.

If you tried to take in very little calories, your body would try to store the fat you already have, and it'll take longer to lose it.

Lose It! is telling me I need to consume 2057 calories per day, but I didn't realize that it's actually subtracting my exercise from my net total for the day.

Should I consume the full allotment with exercise deducted or should I just eat around the total for the day despite the exercise?

Basically I've consumed my last meal for the day and my total calories from food are 2,118 which is just a bit above my daily budget. However, my twice a day workout added a -813 to the budget, so it's saying I have 751 calories left to eat for the day. Should I eat some more later or call it a day? In the past I've always set a number for the day and stuck to that number despite whatever exercise I do.

I need to get in on this.

Age- 36
Height - 6'0
Weight - 196
Goal - 185 (by Thanksgiving, I guess)

I'll give it a shot but these 10 lbs. are effing impossible. I eat healthy, I don't drink (often) and I exercise regularly. I'm signing up for a 5K and trying for a 24 minute time - hopefully that will put me over the top. I probably shouldn't eat the fish taco in front of me right now. Ugh.

[quote name='Javery']I need to get in on this.

Age- 36
Height - 6'0
Weight - 196
Goal - 185 (by Thanksgiving, I guess)

I'll give it a shot but these 10 lbs. are effing impossible. I eat healthy, I don't drink (often) and I exercise regularly. I'm signing up for a 5K and trying for a 24 minute time - hopefully that will put me over the top. I probably shouldn't eat the fish taco in front of me right now. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

If you're already looking like panzerfaust and that extra 10lbs is going to make you shredded, then you'll need to eat SUPER healthy, spread those small meals into 5 sessions, and hit the weights a lot more.

[quote name='blindinglights']Lose It! is telling me I need to consume 2057 calories per day, but I didn't realize that it's actually subtracting my exercise from my net total for the day.

Should I consume the full allotment with exercise deducted or should I just eat around the total for the day despite the exercise?

Basically I've consumed my last meal for the day and my total calories from food are 2,118 which is just a bit above my daily budget. However, my twice a day workout added a -813 to the budget, so it's saying I have 751 calories left to eat for the day. Should I eat some more later or call it a day? In the past I've always set a number for the day and stuck to that number despite whatever exercise I do.[/QUOTE]

I'd honestly just call it a day.

I never look at exercise as calorie burning. I view it as something to increase strength, endurance and cardiovascular health.

I mean it DOES burn calories, obviously, but the "I worked out, so I can eat X" is a dangerous trap to fall into.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'd honestly just call it a day.

I never look at exercise as calorie burning. I view it as something to increase strength, endurance and cardiovascular health.

I mean it DOES burn calories, obviously, but the "I worked out, so I can eat X" is a dangerous trap to fall into.[/QUOTE]

That's what I ended up doing. I've always just followed a calorie budget and not taken into account calories burned via exercise, so I just stuck with that.

The only thing that concerned me was wondering if my net is well below the daily budget due to the exercise, will my body go into preservation mode where it becomes more difficult to burn stored fat.

Well I think I am the biggest so far at 6' 4" and 376 lbs. To the Op thanks for the thread maybe this will help with the motivation, I need to get this under control. Also I am 35, married, and a father of three who need me around so 250 ish hear I come.

Man -- I took two weeks off from jogging, and my lung capacity has gone to shit. I had to slow to a quick walk any time I got to a real incline. Guess that's what I get for getting lazy!

[quote name='panzerfaust']ive been trying raw eggs out of sheer laziness, they go down easier than I thought :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

If you don't cook the eggs, you don't get all the amino acids and your body wont be able to fully digest them like it would if they were cooked. Additionally, you risk exposing yourself to salmonella by consuming raw eggs.

There's positives and negatives to it, but it's only an occasional habit nonetheless. I cook eggs everyday, it's just nice to grab something out the door.

2 years and 80s lb later can make a hell of a difference. I can only blame myself.

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 236 lbs
Goal: 175

I'm hoping I can get back into shape by biking and running more. Maybe even weight lift. Add me: musicnoteless [at] gmail [dot] com

Weekly Weigh-In

Height: 6'4"
Starting Weight: 223.8

Last Week: 223.8 lbs.
This Week: 216.8 lbs.

Weight Loss: 7.0 pounds
Percentage of Body Weight: 3.13%

Last Week's Exercise Schedule:
Mon. - Push/Pull/Sit-ups + 2 mile run (AM), Weights: Arms/Shoulders + 2 mile run (PM)
Tue. - Core Exercises + 3 mile run (AM), 2 mile run (PM)
Wed. - Push/Pull/Sit-ups + 2 mile run (AM), Weights: Chest/Triceps + 2 mile run (PM)
Thu. - Rest
Fri. - Push/Pull/Sit-ups + 2 mile run (AM), Weights: Legs
Sat. - Rest
Sun. - Yard work + 1 mile walk

Notes:

I'm surprised that I dropped that much in one week, but I'm concerned that I dropped a considerable amount of lean mass in there too. I do the weigh-in three times to make sure it's consistent, and the scale is calibrated and accurate. Weigh-in was the same time as last week (Monday, before breakfast). I think it has to do partially with water, but I am well hydrated (at least a gallon of water/day, more on workout days) and the drop still seems like a lot taking that in to consideration.

Lose It! says I was 2,356 calories under budget last week, but I was either within 50 calories of the daily budget or in some cases slightly over every day for food. However, the exercise subtracted quite a bit of calories and caused the large deficit.

Diet was high protein, moderate fat, low carbohydrates. Low sodium.

Maybe the weight loss will normalize down to a couple pounds after this first week.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']You might want to check out the Dukan diet. I lost 36 lbs in five weeks... no lie. Basically, it's no carbs, no fat, all-you-can-eat lean meats. I went from 216 lbs to 180 lbs.

Here's the accepted foods list:
http://www.mydukandiary.com/dukan_diet_allowed_food_list.html[/QUOTE]

I essentially did something similar two years ago and lost around 50 lbs. Thing is, it's a lifestyle change. I couldn't keep that diet because I went to work and school full time, and I gained 80 lbs. This time around, I'm hoping slow and steady does the job.

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']I essentially did something similar two years ago and lost around 50 lbs. Thing is, it's a lifestyle change. I couldn't keep that diet because I went to work and school full time, and I gained 80 lbs. This time around, I'm hoping slow and steady does the job.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. It is a lifestyle change... and not an easy one. By week three, I would have killed my best friend for a slice of plain white bread. However, the quick results kept me motivated. I've been off the diet for two weeks now, and have gained approximately three pounds back. I fell ill with Epstein Barr two weeks ago... so I threw the diet out the door. Bad enough having constant fatigue and weakness from a virus... let alone the slight fatigue you experience from not ingesting any carbs/sugars. It's also possible that the diet impacted my immune system, thus resulting in the increased probability of catching EBV (I wasn't supplimenting with vitamins). Regardless, I'm thinner than I've been in over ten years, but I feel like absolute fuck due to this illness.

I really liked that little program until I realized it's useless without knowing how many calories are in something.

[quote name='Clak']I really liked that little program until I realized it's useless without knowing how many calories are in something.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the reason I never got anything worthwhile out of similar apps. It's useful for some things, but not as a total intake/burned platform for me.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Exactly the reason I never got anything worthwhile out of similar apps. It's useful for some things, but not as a total intake/burned platform for me.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, since if I eat out somewhere that doesn't provide the info, it's basically impossible to estimate.

I weighed myself today and I'm at 228 lbs. I must've misweighed myself at the beginning since that's a difference of 8 lbs in a matter of 6 days. If not, cutting soda and junk food makes a helluva difference. :D

I'm in. I started dieting at the beginning of July. I have been down as much as 31 lbs. but have also taken a month off in the middle, plus a weekend or two off as well. So I have fluctuated between being down 15-31 lbs. Right now I am down about 20lbs. from my 01July weight. I finally got myself a gym membership about 1.5 weeks ago. I have started off weight lifting (30-45 minutes) three times a week and doing cardio (30-150 minutes) 5 days a week. I was glad I did this the first week because my muscle groups were on fire for at least 48 hours each and it gave me plenty of time to recover. I have had sore legs before, but my legs were inflamed this weekend. Honestly, I have never weight lifted before and I put up 580lbs. on the hack squat (my upper body sucks though). I had a week trial membership once before back when I biked 4+hours everyday and I put up 740 back then during that week. Would love to get back to at least that. Being that I have never trained before, I'm sure that will be no problem.

Anyway, from my starting weight I would like to try and lose 100-120lbs. That would make me 26lbs. lighter than I have ever weighed in my adult life and even though it would barely get me into the "normal" BMI range, I'm pretty sure I would have little body fat on me.

I guess I've already started what I need to do to get there. I'm working out daily and last week during the weekdays I ate nothing more than chicken breast eggs and cottage cheese (and tons of water). I just need a little advice on the weights. Like I said, I started out with 3 weightlifting sessions and 5 cardio a week. But yesterday I went to fail on all of my sets and I was sore, but basically feel good now. So I am wanting to take things further after only just a week and a couple of days. But what would be better:

1) Making my weightlifting days 4 days a week with more isolated muscle groups? (Plus 5+days of intense cardio)
or
2) Keeping the 3 day plan, but doing it twice a week? (along with 6 days of cardio)

Obviously the latter is going to be more work, thus you would think more benefit. But will that leave my muscle groups plenty of re-coup time?

[quote name='dejeckt']Age: 24
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 160 lbs (estimated body fat %: 22%)
Goal: cut down body fat to 10% ~ 12% by Christmas

I highlight body fat cause I'm not interested in losing weight, but cutting down on excess fat. How do you guys lose weight while retaining muscle mass?[/QUOTE]

Eat lots of protein before and after your workout, if you want to go super ripped you need to cut out pretty much all carbs and go lean protein only, make sure any workout you do is aerobic and doesn't go anaerobic. Marathon runners exercise all day long. Why aren't they stacked? Going into anaerobic exercise starts using muscle as fuel.

So eats lots of lean protein, work out like a beast, but keep your heart rate down around 65% of your max heart rate. Oh, also try to isolate muscle groups on different days. You want to allow time for the tearing down to repair itself.

Height: 5'10.5"
Weight: 167 pounds
Goal: Well...I dunno. Maybe drop some fat *and* gain muscle? I don't have a weight goal. I guess I'll say 155 or something. *shrugs*

Gonna spoiler tag my random thoughts...kinda lengthy.

I've always had a pretty good physique. Toned, I suppose...but never really that strong. During college my max weight was around 180 pounds. Overall, I still looked okay, but, I started to get a gut.

I cut out soda almost entirely. I maybe have one soda once a month, and, it's always a Pepsi Max (or something similar).

I think my body has kept a decent tone based simply on my diet; I get a ton of protein. However...I am the worst at getting fruits and vegetables. I almost never, ever have them. :/

I have started (slowly) working on my portion sizes for meals and (very slowly) started eating a little more in the way of fruits/veggies.

Also started lifting weights almost two months ago. I bought some Ironsmaster adjustable dumbbells and weight bench (I LOVE these dumbbells!) I get 30-45 minutes of lifting nearly every night, and, I run a good mile or so every evening. I also get two scoops of whey protein after the workout.

I can already see positive improvements in my strength, and, I'm definitely putting on some extra muscle. Hopefully, this thread will keep me motivated!

I'm down about 0.8 lbs. so far in about a week. Pretty good, IMO. I haven't been counting the calories though- it's just too much with everything I've got going on. I have cut out a few things from my diet (no more small bag of Sun Chips at lunch) and I've been running even more. I'm definitely fighting father time instead of myself though. I'll get there eventually.

I used the app to decide what I want for lunch when I am working and between the calorie tracking and Subway I have been doing okay. I have always heard about losing 10lbs cutting soda out of your diet and while not quite there it is helping.

Start: 300.5 lb
Day 10: 292.4 lb

If you guys want to check out some supplemental communities to aid you in your nutritional/weight loss knowledge you might want to look into reddit.com. If you're unfamiliar of how the site works, it's basically run by user generated postings and links but they also offer really comprehensive and easy to follow faqs on the basics of excercise and weight loss. reddit.com/r/fitness
I've been working out and dieting since June and have lost about 1.5-2.0 lbs a week. If you're overweight, I would definitely recommend adding weight lifting to your routines beyond the cardio because it aids your weight loss while building muscle at the same time.

And while you're there, why not go to their fashion advice page and be an even better looking man? http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/

I love lose it, both the site and the community. I've lost almost 30 pounds in about three months, I'm supposed to hit my goal next weekend, which is doable. Slow and steady, and the lifestyle changes I'm making are sustainable (no broccoli soup and water 'diets' for me).
I've also had four people, who didn't know I was doing anything, proactively say "Have you lost weight?" which is a very good sign. Measuring/monitoring makes a huge difference. I've also started running, I'm on week 7 of C25K, but I had to take a week off with a cold.
Other tricks: measure more than just your weight. Body fat if you, and your inches (waist, arms, leg, thigh, etc) for a bigger (pun not intended) picture. If I stay the same weight, but lose inches from my waist or somewhere else, I'm fine with that.

I'll check out Lose It - not for calorie counting, as calories are a little misleading; what you ingest is not the same as what gets absorbed into your bloodstream, but for intake tracking, as I've been keeping my own personal log since I started dieting on July 11th, of all my breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinner, along with daily weigh-ins.

Got married a few years back and, like most married men, gradually gained weight. Was a lean 175 in 2008, I'd like to get back to it.

Starting weight: 198.0 lbs (July 11, 2011)
Present weight: 179.2 lbs (September 22, 2011)

Just started exercising again - my goal was to hit 180 lbs before resuming training, which I did yesterday (179.6). Started with a Bosu Ball for abs and hard Kettleball Swings. Going to add free-weights tonight.

Diet has been pretty strict to 4HB (4-Hour Body), otherwise known as a kind of Slow Carb Diet. Typical eating looks like this:

Breakfast - 5 forkfuls sauerkraut, 3 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1.5 oz chicken breast, 2 tablespoons salsa (no sugar or preservatives), 65g Black Beans, 85g spinach, 1 cup coffee (black)
Lunch - 1 can tuna in water (drained), 65g lentils, 2 teaspoons all-natural mustard, 85g broccoli (steamed - plain), 1 cup coffee (black) or tea (no sugar)
Dinner - 5oz chicken, steak, pork or fish, 65g Kidney Beans, 120g cauliflower (boiled and mashed, with garlic salt, to something resembling mashed potatoes), 50g spinach

Snacks, if any, are usually nuts - almonds, peanuts, mixed nuts, brazil nuts (30-40g) - or celery with almond butter (trader joes)

Before bedtime, perhaps a glass or two of red wine - usually cabernet or merlot.

Aside from cauliflower and sauerkraut, nothing "white" and nothing that could be "white" (like rice) is allowed. No sugar is allowed. No preservatives, chlorine, yellow-dye #5s, maltodextrin, etc., are allowed. No fruit is allowed, with the exception of tomatoes, to be ingested moderately.

Do this for 6 days out of the week. The 7th day, after my standard breakfast, is anything-and-everything-goes - a CHEAT day, with cake, milk and bread, beer, pizza, chips and pasta, ice cream and chocolate and every other delicious thing I avoid during the week. Throws the body into absolute overdrive. I gain about 2lbs that one day, then go back to the 4HB diet and burn off the cheat day in 2-3 days and, having put my body into overdrive on cheat day, burn another couple pounds the rest of the week.

Wife was completely skeptical at the start of the diet, as it eliminates all fruit and dairy, (almost) all 'white' foods, potatoes, rice, etc., and doesn't require monitoring of slow-carb consumption. Frankly, she thought it was crap and a total pain in the ass. But 10 weeks, 18.8 lbs, and a thinner husband later, well, she believes and finally respects the diet...along with the fact that I travel with a digital scale. (Yep, it's true)

Name:Anthony Mike Battaglia Mercado
Height:5'10-5'12
Weight before-245lbs now 198lbs
goal Weight 175-155

I dunno man, sounds way too complex.

I originally dropped 50 pounds by just cutting down portion sizes, eating more fruits and vegetables and limiting my fatty foods.

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 198 pounds
Goal: 175
Plan: I'll try to eat healthier, and maybe do some pushups and crunches daily. I'll walk on the treadmill when I can.
Account: [email protected]

Down to 182 my goal is 180. Loseit says I would lose the weight Oct 9 so I'm thinking it may be a bit flawed.

Count me in as well. I'm determined to lose weight now more than ever. I've been lucky not to have diabetes or cancer as of yet since it runs in my family. On my last doctor's visit, she told me that my blood pressure was a bit high and to avoid eating salty foods. While I've cut back a bit on the salty stuff, I feel like I haven't done enough to actually lose weight.

Height: 5'8"
Current weight: 326 lbs
Goal weight: 300 lbs

300 is my short term goal. I eventually want to lose close to 150 lbs. but I know that it will take some time. I signed up for the Lose It app. My email is [email protected]. Let's motivate each other, we can do this!

bread's done
Back