CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

• Please log in to reply
1681 replies to this topic

#1081 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Still 190...really dragging at the gym, especially since I washed my iPod and it's dead. Don't know how much longer I'll stay motivated. Still love playing basketball, so maybe I'll try and convince everyone to play 3/4 days.

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

#1082 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Did gravity change its properties? Why are we all weighing in less? High-fives?

(I'm still around 175. Stress, more cardio, no strength, new supplements. All reasonable suspects in staying down in this category.)

Thanks for the concern, 69er. One suffered a pretty nasty puncture wound, but she's fine now. My cuts and bruises (and burns) are healing. I thought about rectifying the situation but decided to forgive the lady, her dumbass kid, and their asshole dogs. I think. Still looking into things. We'll see.

Your exercise seems good. :) Have you found anything else to throw into the routine? Has your doctor recommended anything? Have you considered yoga?

And good luck, Rig. Enjoy your vacation!

Yeah, its 6er BTW, LOL.

I cover 15 miles a day for my job, including something north of 50 flights of stairs worth of steps(not all at once, of course, evenly.spread throughout day), all walking. That's why I play so many games. The bicycle maneuver works better than I thought it would. Besides that, its just however many pushups I feel like doing that day, as I also have bursitis in my shoulders(I know, right? And my job just complicates all my issues.....looking into a change)

#1083 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

:rofl:

Ah crap. I'm sorry! Ha! I shouldn't be allowed to a.) place bets, or b.) make posts after midnight. <bow>

Your job sounds active. I feel ya on the inflammation issues. Inflammation in my elbows has caused problems (e.g., the inability to open my hand(s) after lifting heavy).

And 83, did you try the "bag of rice" trick for your iPod?

#1084 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

:rofl:

Ah crap. I'm sorry! Ha! I shouldn't be allowed to a.) place bets, or b.) make posts after midnight. <bow>

Your job sounds active. I feel ya on the inflammation issues. Inflammation in my elbows has caused problems (e.g., the inability to open my hand(s) after lifting heavy).

And 83, did you try the "bag of rice" trick for your iPod?

No, all I had was Lipton Butter and Herb Rice...I didn't think that would work. ;)

I left it out in the sun for 3 days...I just think it's dead. I did find my old Zune, so I'll just use that. Also the fitness nut at the gym said she would help me work on my core...whatever that means. I'm afraid to go back.

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

#1085 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

Giggity giggity 83.I'm going to give that core workout a shot chase. I'll be using dumbbell/free weights though, but I know it'll be the same.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#1086 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

Jumped into a pair of 33's today...So at least I have some validation to continue at the gym. Not losing weight, but losing inches is still good.

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

#1087 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Did definitely gain some weight over the vacation. Nothing too major.

I'm back on track though. The workouts were terrific last night and I'm back on my calorie counting.

#1088 jsmc

jsmc

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hey guys, I've posted here a few times and have been really been increasing my workouts and really altered my diet. Although, I'm still having a really difficult time losing weight.

My typical diet of food has consisted of usually a salad for lunch along with some rice cakes (the individual bags, seems to keep me honest and not continue to stuffing my face) or pretzels and a granola bar. For lunch usually I'll have another salad as well or maybe a turkey sandwich, etc. I've also tried to start eating more fruit as well. I've also tried to keep with light dressing, usually balsamic vinaigrette. Roughly 1500-1600 calories a day.

As far as exercising, I've been in a mens hockey league the last 6-7 years and we play two games a week. I would imagine that's a fairly good work out. I also try to do the elliptical or run for about 30 minutes on another two days as well.

Any tips? I'm trying to take advantage of my summer off (I'm a teacher) and workout out as much as I can because it's much harder to do once work starts back up again. I've also been monitoring my food as well with an iPad app and have been consistently under my goal for the past three weeks, yet I've only lost a total of 1.5 pounds. Ideally, I'd like to lose about 35-40 pounds. My goal is to get to this point by next June for my wedding...we'll see if i I make it. I'm 5'9, 198 pounds. I'd like to get down to at least 165. In college/high school I managed to be at 155.

Anyway, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

#1089 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hey guys, I've posted here a few times and have been really been increasing my workouts and really altered my diet. Although, I'm still having a really difficult time losing weight.

My typical diet of food has consisted of usually a salad for lunch along with some rice cakes (the individual bags, seems to keep me honest and not continue to stuffing my face) or pretzels and a granola bar. For lunch usually I'll have another salad as well or maybe a turkey sandwich, etc. I've also tried to start eating more fruit as well. I've also tried to keep with light dressing, usually balsamic vinaigrette. Roughly 1500-1600 calories a day.

As far as exercising, I've been in a mens hockey league the last 6-7 years and we play two games a week. I would imagine that's a fairly good work out. I also try to do the elliptical or run for about 30 minutes on another two days as well.

Any tips? I'm trying to take advantage of my summer off (I'm a teacher) and workout out as much as I can because it's much harder to do once work starts back up again. I've also been monitoring my food as well with an iPad app and have been consistently under my goal for the past three weeks, yet I've only lost a total of 1.5 pounds. Ideally, I'd like to lose about 35-40 pounds. My goal is to get to this point by next June for my wedding...we'll see if i I make it.

I used this thread to calculate what I need for calories. I adjust every couple of weeks, when I've lost/gained some weight. It's a very thorough read in the OP, and, I think it could help you.
It does take a month or so of adjusting to really fine-tune where you need to be.

Otherwise, are you drinking a lot of water? I mean, a lot! I get a gallon a day and find it definitely helps; not just to keep me fuller but I notice everything just runs smoothly when I get a lot of water. If I go a couple days and don't get enough water, I see it on the scale.

#1090 jsmc

jsmc

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the reply! I'll check that thread out.

I have totally dropped pop as well, which I thought would help a bit. I've been drinking roughly 2 or 3 water bottles a day. I probably should increase that. I still occasionally drink a glass of Lemonade or Snapple Ice Tea as well. I'm sure the Snapple doesn't help.

Thanks again for your help. I'll check that thread out.

#1091 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Any tips? I'm trying to take advantage of my summer off (I'm a teacher) and workout out as much as I can because it's much harder to do once work starts back up again. I've also been monitoring my food as well with an iPad app and have been consistently under my goal for the past three weeks, yet I've only lost a total of 1.5 pounds. Ideally, I'd like to lose about 35-40 pounds. My goal is to get to this point by next June for my wedding...we'll see if i I make it.

Instead of focusing on losing weight, you should be focusing on losing fat and looking at other measurements like body fat percentage and how your clothes fit. Just because you're not losing weight, doesn't mean you're not losing fat and gaining muscle. Keep it up and you'll start noticing more change over time.

#1092 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'd like to know your height weight to have a better idea of the body transformation. Other people will say things different than me, but I don't really care. If you want to lose weight you do the following:

Don't over do it on the fruit, it is a lot of sugar. If you're serious about losing weight, and losing it quickly start walking. Walk two miles in the morning, a mile around lunch, and two miles in the evening. You're off for the summer so time isn't an issue. Start weight lifting, and be serious about it. If you don't have access to any weights, start doing push ups, pull ups, dips, etc. Do squats with heavy household objects, do dead lifts with weighted milk jugs, etc. Anyone who is serious about weight loss needs to lift weights, it'll help you shed weight and tone up the muscle that survives your cut.

When I was losing my weight my diet was simple. 1.5 cups of kashi with a cup of skim milk for breakfast, peanut butter sandwich and a banana for lunch and then just whatever for dinner. I never gave up soda, sweets, candy or ice cream but ate each of those in moderation (but still have a soda a day or at least 4-5 a week). I dropped 50 pounds and kept it off thus far, but you're going to have to find out exactly what works for you through trial and error.

And not trying to be rude, but gtfo with the salads, that's totally not worth it lol.

#1093 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

I'd like to know your height weight to have a better idea of the body transformation. Other people will say things different than me, but I don't really care. If you want to lose weight you do the following:

Don't over do it on the fruit, it is a lot of sugar. If you're serious about losing weight, and losing it quickly start walking. Walk two miles in the morning, a mile around lunch, and two miles in the evening. You're off for the summer so time isn't an issue. Start weight lifting, and be serious about it. If you don't have access to any weights, start doing push ups, pull ups, dips, etc. Do squats with heavy household objects, do dead lifts with weighted milk jugs, etc. Anyone who is serious about weight loss needs to lift weights, it'll help you shed weight and tone up the muscle that survives your cut.

When I was losing my weight my diet was simple. 1.5 cups of kashi with a cup of skim milk for breakfast, peanut butter sandwich and a banana for lunch and then just whatever for dinner. I never gave up soda, sweets, candy or ice cream but ate each of those in moderation (but still have a soda a day or at least 4-5 a week). I dropped 50 pounds and kept it off thus far, but you're going to have to find out exactly what works for you through trial and error.

And not trying to be rude, but gtfo with the salads, that's totally not worth it lol.

What if someone likes salad and fruit? Don't be a hater! :lol:

#1094 jsmc

jsmc

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Perdition, you mentioned height/weight. I'm 5'9 about 198. Back in college I was 155, which is where I'd like to end up, but I'd settle for 165. Would you recommend the walking over running/elliptical? I could always increase those as well and try to do more then 30 minutes.

I've definitely neglected the weight lifting aspect. I'll definitely start with the pushups, etc. We have an "ab chair" as well. I could always pick that back up, I used to do it a lot.

I think my biggest problem has been getting into the "real world." I worked out a ton back in college. It seems like since I got hired into the real world a few years ago that went to shit.

Thanks again for all the responses guys. I appreciate it.

#1095 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Oh and take a picture right now while you are starting to lose weight so you can stare at it and push yourself harder. I can't believe how fat I let myself get in just six months, and now I have the pictures to keep it fresh in my mind.

February 23rd:
Spoiler
July 4th:
Spoiler

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

#1096 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

You're trying to lose fat right now. I personally am a believer in the walk it off (fat) vs running (burn off what you just ate). You could do a mixture of them all, but I recommend walking at least 2 miles a day minimum whether you are losing weight or not. I also think the fresh air and sunlight do wonders for you mentally, just one more added benefit.

dohdough, come on now bro. salad 10+ times a week? he's not a cow, he can't just graze on leaves all day :p

#1097 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:01 AM

If someone's idea of a "healthy diet" is eating iceberg lettuce covered in salad dressing and a bowl of fruit, then they're doing nutrition wrong. This is coming from a vegan, by the way. (Although, I have been trying to work ahi back into my diet. So, I guess I'm not completely vegan anymore.)

Leafy greens, like kale, spinach, Swiss chard, and everything else is a great way to ingest vitamins. Iceberg lettuce has no nutrition. And covering it in fatty salad dressing is awful. Fruit is high in sugar. Unless he's maximizing his vitamin potential by eating fruit like goji berry, pomegranate, mangosteen, and other superfood, I'd avoid fruit unless it's for juice. Plus, sugar leads to tooth decay.

I'm back from a vacation visiting home (Oʻahu) with my girlfriend. Health-wise: Never realized how many fat people live in Hawaiʻi (outside of the Samoans, who have a habit of being fat). Obesity is everywhere.

#1098 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

I think the week off helped way more than hindered. The extra rest has provided some nice gains this week. (Usually, I just do a deload week...but I may have to start the "no workout" week instead.)

Plus, I recently started seeing someone...and she's just as big a health nut/workout buff. Counting calories, running and lifting like a fiend; it's been great.
Unlike past girlfriends, she doesn't have the "common" junk food at her place...meaning it's much easier sticking to it when we visit each other.

#1099 jsmc

jsmc

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

If someone's idea of a "healthy diet" is eating iceberg lettuce covered in salad dressing and a bowl of fruit, then they're doing nutrition wrong. This is coming from a vegan, by the way. (Although, I have been trying to work ahi back into my diet. So, I guess I'm not completely vegan anymore.)

I don't think I ever said I had "covered" my salad in dressing. I would usually throw on a tablespoon of dressing or less. Although, I will admit that eating salad for most meals does get old after a while. I may start throwing in some grilled chicken for a little flavor. We shall see.

#1100 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

Not tossing any stones. Just a general statement in regards to vegetarians, nutrition, and diets. :)

Good luck to you and your goals. Everyone who frequents this thread is plenty knowledgeable.

#1101 jsmc

jsmc

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:51 AM

Not tossing any stones. Just a general statement in regards to vegetarians, nutrition, and diets. :)

Fair enough. ;) I will admit, I do need to do more research on what other things are better to eat. Nutrition is something I definitely need to get more involved in, rather than the "oh, if it's fruit or vegetable it'll automatically help me" mindset.

I'm open to all tips!

#1102 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

More before/afters

here is me in September (from the OP). Just starting up eating healthy again and hitting the gym

Spoiler

Then here I am today. Same shirt. Started strong lifts in January.

Spoiler

I was actually pretty happy when I saw the progress.

#1103 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

That is very nice progress sean...you can see that your shoulders, neck and triceps (arms in general) have grown. You definitely fill the shirt out better.

I'm shaking things up a bit, (stress / maybe just my general eating habits) has been leading me to lose more weight than I want to. Not that I'm unhealthy, I just don't want to become manorexic looking. I weighed in at 172 yesterday.

#1104 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

olmypics have gotten me back in the swimming mood, been so long though. and all i have is trunks and i can't do laps in those, need to find something.

don't really want to go speedo, maybe something in between. affordable recommendations? what do you guys use?

UjCoyFa.png

#1105 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:59 AM

I just use trunks even though it's not well suited for speed. If you don't want to go speedo, get some jammers.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#1106 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

Just got back from vacation and man am I a mess. I worked out a few times while I was away but I ate ice cream every goddamn night. I also ate a ton more in general than I normally do and I was hurting at the gym this morning. If I can get back to pre-vacation levels by the end of the month I'll call it a win. August will be the month of salads for me!

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1107 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Damn - at the gym this morning there was some girl in ridiculous shape lifting light weights and doing crazy amounts of cardio/push-up exercises in between sets. I'm not sure I could keep up with her and I'm also not sure if it is depressing or inspiring - she was obviously in her mid-20s so she probably has way more energy than I do. I hate getting old.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1108 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Damn - at the gym this morning there was some girl in ridiculous shape lifting light weights and doing crazy amounts of cardio/push-up exercises in between sets. I'm not sure I could keep up with her and I'm also not sure if it is depressing or inspiring - she was obviously in her mid-20s so she probably has way more energy than I do. I hate getting old.

:lol:

I know what you mean...I was at the gym yesterday and there was a girl sprinting on the treadmill in front of me before I got there. I got on my treadmill, did 60 minutes, and when I was done she was still there...maintaining her sprint.

Very deflating.

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

#1109 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

I always feel like people like that should be put down, or be forced to work out in a black box so the rest of us normal people don't have to watch them.

#1110 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

I always feel like people like that should be put down, or be forced to work out in a black box so the rest of us normal people don't have to watch them.

:lol:

I wouldn't go that far...It was very impressive. I was talking to one of the trainers, and aparently she is one of those Ultramarathon runners. That made me feel better.

And it did deter me from getting a soft-pretzel on the ride home.

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif