Photo
- - - - -

CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

• Please log in to reply
1681 replies to this topic

#1171 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Naive question - most people I see doing crossfit are lifting large plates - like the 24" (or is it larger, I've never measured them) plates that are most often 45lbs. When I see someone doing axle cleans with 8 plates of those size, it's pretty evident that they're not doing 405lbs total.

Is "masking" plate weights with standardized sizes a crossfit thing?

I better watch my back you're getting pretty close to me on the leader boards of Fitocracy.

seanr1221.png

#1172 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

there's no way in hell those plates are anywhere close to 45lbs.

Are you saying that those beanpoles can't dead lift 405lbs? I am SHOCKED and APPALLED!!!!:lol:

Cue to 6:50 and be amazed:rofl:

#1173 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1174 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Some times I think the reason I don't exercise more is that I get sick of hearing about all of these fad diets or workout plans. This friend of mine has been going into overdrive lately with working out, and it's always some plan he's talking about. P90x, crossfit, he wants to try the neanderthal diet (what I call it...). I think I get turned off because of how "into it" some people are. A lot of this just seems way over the top, way past just trying to lose weight or be healthier in general. I swear that comparing miles ran is like the new penis measuring contest.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1175 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

I figure it's cheaper to work out than to buy new clothes.:D

I just do calisthenics, so it's super cheap for me.

#1176 mightyduck

mightyduck

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Lost about 9 pounds in the past two weeks. Altered my diet up and have begun exercising more along with doing some situps/ab stuff. Although, I've just got over a bout of kidney stones, so I'm sure that helped the weight loss from not really eating. Hoping to get back into it more this week.

#1177 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Some times I think the reason I don't exercise more is that I get sick of hearing about all of these fad diets or workout plans. This friend of mine has been going into overdrive lately with working out, and it's always some plan he's talking about. P90x, crossfit, he wants to try the neanderthal diet (what I call it...). I think I get turned off because of how "into it" some people are. A lot of this just seems way over the top, way past just trying to lose weight or be healthier in general. I swear that comparing miles ran is like the new penis measuring contest.

I hear ya.

I think it's important to focus on comparing yourself to yourself, not others.

There's plenty of people who can lift more, run longer, run faster, etc.

Likewise, there are plenty who can't lift what you can as much as you can, who can't put the effort in to train.

Big deal. I'm always thinking about whether or not I can improve on what I've done in the past week - or, if I know I've overdone it (e.g., my legs are a bit jacked up this week), can I simply put some effort in that meets some basic "can I keep going?" metric.

So I compare myself to myself, not others. That motivates the motherfuck out of me.
Posted Image

#1178 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

I'm with mykevermin, I only compare myself to the man in the mirror. As long as I'm continually gaining/satisfied with where I am I have no complaints.

Tired as balls today. Had a nice upper body session yesterday and walked six miles, so it was a good day. Decided to ride to work today, was flying and making good time...until my tube popped. "Great", I though, and figured I just added another 5 minutes to my commute as I had a spare tube in my backpack. Until I realized I took a different pack today. And didn't switch my spare tube and repair kit. Then had to carry my bike two miles. I am so sore.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#1179 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

I'm with mykevermin, I only compare myself to the man in the mirror. As long as I'm continually gaining/satisfied with where I am I have no complaints.

Tired as balls today. Had a nice upper body session yesterday and walked six miles, so it was a good day. Decided to ride to work today, was flying and making good time...until my tube popped. "Great", I though, and figured I just added another 5 minutes to my commute as I had a spare tube in my backpack. Until I realized I took a different pack today. And didn't switch my spare tube and repair kit. Then had to carry my bike two miles. I am so sore.

Would you rather haul your bike for 2 miles or drink a bottle of prune juice again?:lol:

#1180 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Man, I just reluctantly stepped on the scale for the first time in a a few months (since before I gorged myself on vacation) and I'm +8 lbs. I've been lifting more so maybe I need to dial that back. Dammit. This is a never ending battle.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1181 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

Would you rather haul your bike for 2 miles or drink a bottle of prune juice again?

Haul the bike for sure LOL. Hoping to not do the prune juice challenge again lol.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

#1182 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Man, I just reluctantly stepped on the scale for the first time in a a few months (since before I gorged myself on vacation) and I'm +8 lbs. I've been lifting more so maybe I need to dial that back. Dammit. This is a never ending battle.

Meh, I haven't lost much weight in the last few weeks, but my body composition has improved fairly dramatically. Are you worried more about the total weight or the composition of the weight?
Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#1183 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

@Feeding the Abscess: Feels awesome right? At least you are there now instead of much later in life. Keep at it! (so jealous of 300lb press. Best ever was 245lbs @ 180lbs. I WANT THAT 315!)

Ha, yeah, for sure. Don't be too jealous, though, I'm well over two bills. If I were benching 385 five times, like I did when I was 19...

#1184 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Meh, I haven't lost much weight in the last few weeks, but my body composition has improved fairly dramatically. Are you worried more about the total weight or the composition of the weight?

I want to be at about 175, if possible and then worry about the composition (muscle). I don't understand how my dad is 25lbs. lighter than me and an inch taller. It seems impossible.

#1185 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

I don't understand how my dad is 25lbs. lighter than me and an inch taller. It seems impossible.

You probably have a lot more muscle on your frame than you think, especially from digging deeper :lol:.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#1186 kobra90

kobra90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

I have been stalking this thread for a while now, but have been so reluctant. But this seems like a good group of people. And hoping to make a change. 25 5' 7" 215.

#1187 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Finally, we got you to join, time to get out the pitch forks and tar/feathers!

Just kidding, but what are you goals? Get them in writing, put them in your wallet/on your bathroom mirror/fridge and go from there. And take a picture of what you look like right now. No sucking in, no flexing, nothing, just you exactly how you are. You don't have to show anyone it, but use it as motivation as you start gaining weight. It will push you.

#1188 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

You probably have a lot more muscle on your frame than you think, especially from digging deeper :lol:.

I have been digging deep like a mofo. Actually, I'm finding the routines to be harder and harder. I'm tiring out quicker for some reason.

#1189 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Finally started losing weight. Eating more food helped.

#1190 kobra90

kobra90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:14 AM

Finally, we got you to join, time to get out the pitch forks and tar/feathers!

Just kidding, but what are you goals? Get them in writing, put them in your wallet/on your bathroom mirror/fridge and go from there. And take a picture of what you look like right now. No sucking in, no flexing, nothing, just you exactly how you are. You don't have to show anyone it, but use it as motivation as you start gaining weight. It will push you.

Thank you for the warm transylvanian welcome. My goal is to be toned and at roughly the 165 mark. It is quite a substantial and discouraging goal. But I know that in order to achieve this goal, I must first begin this endeavor. Any and all advice, tips, regiments, etc are encouraged.

Side note. Anyone living in or around the myrtle beach area looking for a workout partner or accountability partner, hit me up. Be forewarned, it's been a long time since I've exercised. Lol.

#1191 mightyduck

mightyduck

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

Only lost a pound this week, which is sort of a bummer. I guess it's better than nothing though. Only...30 pounds to go!

#1192 kobra90

kobra90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

Only lost a pound this week, which is sort of a bummer. I guess it's better than nothing though. Only...30 pounds to go!

That's still one pound less, and a loss is much better than a gain or not losing at all. Congrats btw.

#1193 mightyduck

mightyduck

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

That's still one pound less, and a loss is much better than a gain or not losing at all. Congrats btw.

Thanks for the support. Much appreciated. Hoping to get the exercise routine back to normal again this week and go from there. We shall see.

#1194 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

I've been using weight watchers, and running and so far ive lost 26 pounds!

As of today:
5' 11"
Weight 311

I still have a long way to go.
Posted Image

#1195 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

Marketing and packaging aside, eating clean and exercise is all one needs to see success. Well done, Thomas. And good luck with your goals, GetWhatYaGive. There is a lot of knowledge in this thread. :)

After about a month of simply cardio, I have begun working my way back up to 185 from 175. Again, after a month of only cardio, I came to a realization, after a complete workout, that I am absolutely out-of-shape. Disgusting.

#1196 diddy310

diddy310

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Weighed in today - 263.9, down from 337 - 73.1 pounds down.

Current goal is 250 by NYCC which is the 2nd week in October.

#1197 kobra90

kobra90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Wow. Awesome.

#1198 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Seriously man - awesome awesome job.

So I made the decision to stop lifting again. It was creeping up on me over the last few months and I think it has something to do with my 8lb. weight gain (that and the fact I can't seem to lay off the snacks in the house). Also, every freaking weekend seems like a "special event" or some bullshit where gross food is everywhere. I need to dial it down.

Anyway, I did Insanity this morning and followed that up with a 30 minute run. Feels great. Hopefully I'll slim back down by the end of September or so. When I initially lost some weight back in 2011 I was running every morning and then doing the elliptical (no weights and no Insanity).

#1199 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

I can't do the no weights, I just feel like a putz when I do that. I'll do less weights if needed but that doesn't happen often lol. My biggest fear is becoming a shrimp. I know my chest will shrink if I stop lifting and at this point I just don't want that to happen lol. I used to have a 44.5 inch chest when I lifting just to be big mass wise, and already am down to 42 inches and don't plan on losing anymore LOL.But slim down for sure. I love being slim and smaller. Rocking 175 consistently has been great, I feel healthy and like I shaved 10 years off body (even though I'm way younger than you).

#1200 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Seriously man - awesome awesome job.

So I made the decision to stop lifting again. It was creeping up on me over the last few months and I think it has something to do with my 8lb. weight gain (that and the fact I can't seem to lay off the snacks in the house). Also, every freaking weekend seems like a "special event" or some bullshit where gross food is everywhere. I need to dial it down.

Anyway, I did Insanity this morning and followed that up with a 30 minute run. Feels great. Hopefully I'll slim back down by the end of September or so. When I initially lost some weight back in 2011 I was running every morning and then doing the elliptical (no weights and no Insanity).

I'd keep lifting, just limit the snacks. Will power, man!