CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

• Please log in to reply
1686 replies to this topic

#1381 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I wish creatine did something for me. Well, I'm sure it's doing something...but I don't really get the "swole" look.

IMO, 1,500 calories for an adult male under most every circumstance is probably too few calories. When I was 168 or so pounds, my approximate RMR was 1,717. That's how many calories a day I was burning "doing nothing but functioning". If you're doing any sort of cardio and strength training, you're going to be burning off well into the 2,000's everyday. (I've never been on a cut with less than 2,005 calories a day, and I was always losing weight.)

I absolutely definitely recommend getting in a Bod Pod. It's very affordable, and, pretty darn accurate. (Immersion is the most accurate, but, I believe it's considerably more expensive.) A Bod Pod trip can give you a very good estimate of your RMR, current weight and body fat %...and those numbers will help you determine what a good caloric intake number would be.

#1382 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

OK, so I'm probably not getting enough calories... I've been doing cardio only in the mornings for a solid hour (35 minutes running at 8.5 on treadmill and 25 minutes on the elliptical) and I'm so tired at the end of the day I can barely stay up past 9 p.m. I'm only pushing myself for the "first" 2 weeks (not really the first week since I only I took 4 weeks off) to get my body used to eating less. I really slipped over the holidays - I drank alcohol 2 nights around New Year's and I was pretty much eating whatever was being served without thinking about it. Ugh.

I'll probably step it up to my "normal" 2,000 calorie diet beginning in February (assuming I don't pass out or anything from lack of food). Insanity starts again on Monday so I'll need the extra fuel anyway. I feel pretty good right now and getting in fighting shape by end of March shouldn't be a problem.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1383 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

You still lifting Javery? Please don't neglect the weights.

#1384 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

You still lifting Javery? Please don't neglect the weights.

Yes and no. Not right now since I never do it during a "jump start" or whatever you want to call it when I take 2-3 weeks to "get back into it". I will be starting up next Monday again. I only do light lifting for about 20-30 minutes 4 times a week anyway. Enough to keep some definition without bulking.

#1385 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

Guys, I need some new workout music (a mix). Anyone got any suggestions like a song list (or maybe a dropbox link hahaha)?

#1386 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Nothing? I was trying to make a good workout playlist for my iPod but the new iTunes is a pain in the ass for that. It now automatically opens up each album you are on so all of the songs are displayed so you can only see about 5 covers at a time. Boo.

Tomorrow Insanity starts. I didn't go this morning because I forgot it was a holiday. I had to get the kids to school and stuff plus the gym opened late.

#1387 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Guys, I need some new workout music (a mix). Anyone got any suggestions like a song list (or maybe a dropbox link hahaha)?

Well, what are your interests? Pearl Jam? Dubstep? Showtunes? Nickelback? Baroque?

Gotta have something to work with.
Posted Image

#1388 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Well, what are your interests? Pearl Jam? Dubstep? Showtunes? Nickelback? Baroque?

Gotta have something to work with.

Hard rock/metal works best for me when I'm working out. And I mean real metal not the death/black/doom nonsense the kids are into these days. It's tough though - there needs to be some sick drumming and a fast tempo. I mean, Alice in Chains kick ass but there's no way I could workout to them. For some reason Enema of the State and From Under the Cork Tree get a lot of plays at the gym but never anywhere else. Something to be said for 3 minute pop/rock songs I guess.

#1389 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Here's some of my gym playlist:

Bullet For My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire
Papa Roach - Blood Brothers
Senses Fail - Can't Be Saved
Saliva - Click Click Boom
Alexisonfire - This Could Be Anywhere in the World
Three Days Grace - This Animal I Have Become
Skillet - Monster
Four Year Strong - Not To Toot My Own Horn But BEEP BEEP
Buckcherry - Lit Up
A Day To Remember - You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#1390 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

Hard rock/metal works best for me when I'm working out. And I mean real metal not the death/black/doom nonsense the kids are into these days. It's tough though - there needs to be some sick drumming and a fast tempo. I mean, Alice in Chains kick ass but there's no way I could workout to them. For some reason Enema of the State and From Under the Cork Tree get a lot of plays at the gym but never anywhere else. Something to be said for 3 minute pop/rock songs I guess.

Tell me what you think of this. If it's too "death/black/doom" (even if I do listen to a lot of that, I've always been dreadful with subgenres) for you, I'll try a different angle. If this appears to be a winner, we can build from there.
Posted Image

#1391 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

Quick, to the point, and is pretty old school in its approach but the vocals may be too death metally for you. A good deal of Vader's stuff has blast beats, but if you can manage, here's another high quality song that may fit your needs:

Here's some high quality thrash:

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#1392 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

Didn't care for Firestorm (this actually seemed like a slow song as strange as it sounds with the chuga-chuga guitar riff) or Destruction. Vader was sick except the vocals which I can't get past. So many awesome bands are ruined by awful vocals, IMO...

Back on topic - Insanity Day 2 tomorrow. Ugh.

#1393 dkreegz515

dkreegz515

Dave "Drama" Kreegz

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

soundgarden, alice in chains, slipknot, NIN, and local h.

i listen to this song just about every morning before i lift. then my usual playlist of metal starts.

Posted Image

#1394 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

My nemesis was at the gym this morning. This girl works out to her own routine that looks like Insanity except she is doing everything with weights. She is in crazy shape and it is depressing to have to be in the same room with her when I can't even keep up with the videos. My life's mission is to destroy her with my awesome fitness power.

#1395 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

My nemesis was at the gym this morning. This girl works out to her own routine that looks like Insanity except she is doing everything with weights. She is in crazy shape and it is depressing to have to be in the same room with her when I can't even keep up with the videos. My life's mission is to destroy her with my awesome fitness power.

Personally, I'd go the sabotage route of supplying Donuts and Deep Fried Food products. Leave them for her by her locker.

I've lost 8 lbs over the past week because I got the Flu...Half of my current quick goal is achieved. If anything positive came about from feeling like Death Incarnate, this is it.

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

#1396 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I've been running and lifting pretty consistently 5-6 times a week and dieting well. I don't really count calories too intensely though I just try to stay under 2000. With all the cardio I do I still finish with a deficit so eh. I go everyday but motivating myself in the morning is tough with how cold its been.

#1397 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Personally, I'd go the sabotage route of supplying Donuts and Deep Fried Food products. Leave them for her by her locker.

She would never fall for it. Her awesome fitness power is strong. The only way to defeat awesome fitness power is with more awesome fitness power, which I will have once I finish eating the egg whites of destiny and doing the insanity dance of strength... for the next 4 months. Ugh. No matter... I will have my victory.

#1398 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

She would never fall for it. Her awesome fitness power is strong. The only way to defeat awesome fitness power is with more awesome fitness power, which I will have once I finish eating the egg whites of destiny and doing the insanity dance of strength... for the next 4 months. Ugh. No matter... I will have my victory.

Godspeed!

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

#1399 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

I need that motivation to be disciplined for more of my meals. I go through the bulk of the day pretty healthy, don't cheat, don't get huge hoagies at Wawa (my poison the first year after I moved to Philly).

But then come dinner time I consistently overeat in terms of portions, or I'll just fucking blow it. Didn't get home from work until 9PM last night, so I was in full-on "fuck it, I'ma eat a whole frozen pizza" mode. Dealing with guilt hangover today. So I could use some words of wisdom or sage advice on how to avoid the sultry siren song of the frozen pizza.
Posted Image

#1400 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

I need that motivation to be disciplined for more of my meals. I go through the bulk of the day pretty healthy, don't cheat, don't get huge hoagies at Wawa (my poison the first year after I moved to Philly).

But then come dinner time I consistently overeat in terms of portions, or I'll just fucking blow it. Didn't get home from work until 9PM last night, so I was in full-on "fuck it, I'ma eat a whole frozen pizza" mode. Dealing with guilt hangover today. So I could use some words of wisdom or sage advice on how to avoid the sultry siren song of the frozen pizza.

The only thing that's going to work in that situation...the ONLY thing...is to not have that type of food in the house. Out of sight, out of mind.

You'll need clean, "easy" foods to substitute in that scenario.

I've went weeks of eating the right things, with the right portions. Yesterday my co-worker wanted to get pizza. I decided to opt-in and treat myself. End result? I ate way more than I needed to. (At least I'm trying to gain weight, so, it wasn't too bad...but I was bloated and had low energy the rest of the day.)

#1401 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Eff Wawa and their delicious cheap sandwiches. Although I'd be eating cheese steaks like a mofo if I lived in Philly. Rig is right, don't keep that stuff in the house. It's the only way. Last night I ate a granola bar when I got home because I was so hungry and I was annoyed with myself as I was chewing it. Also, I always chug water whenever I feel super hungry. It may not stop me from eating but it definitely stops me from over-eating.

#1402 Rumors

Rumors

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

I like to keep some healthier options in the house that are also quick and easy and enjoyable too. I really like flavored oatmeal and although the instant stuff isn't as good for you its still not the worst you can do. I male sure to grab the lower sugar variety and always use water and no butter or milk.

Kashi frozen entrees are a decent choice too as far as that kinda thing goes. 300 calories carbs from whole wheat pasta and veggies and a respectable amount of protein. Not better than preparing it yourself but if you need a quick fix there are worse options and they are feeling. And javs got it right. Drink a lot of water with your meals, it will make you feel more full and eat slowly. Maybe start your meal with greens/complex carbs

#1403 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

You have to get past the three meals a day thought process and just snack throughout the day imo.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#1404 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Halfway through week 5 of my program.

Gained 4 pounds in 5 weeks. And that was eating 2000 calories a day and 25g of carbs. Lol.

Might cut sooner than I thought. Like, I might try cutting while on this program and then reset it or do a 5/3/1 with body building accessory work. My wedding is in May and I don't want to be a fatass no matter how strong I get.

I would just go to 1600 calories and go for a 30-40 minute brisk walk every day. Yes I know that sounds low, but if I'm gaining on 2000, my BMR ain't great ;)

Edit- 1600 on rest days. I'd stick to 2000 on lifting days.

Edited by seanr1221, 23 January 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#1405 Lokki

Lokki

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I've lurked on this thread off and on for a while. I finally decided to jump in. Anyway, I'm trying to shed pounds that I gained when I quit smoking several years ago. I started P90X almost 3 years ago, but only finished 2 months of it, before I had to go out of town for work and wrecked my routine. I got back home and was totally out of the routine and lost motivation at that point. I tried to start it again last year, but got side-tracked with work and my kids' sports and didn't get very far before I stopped again.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago. I received an email from Beachbody advertising their newest workout, Les Mills Combat. I decided that I wanted that and that was going to be what got me going again. I told the wife that it was the only thing that I wanted for Christmas. I did get it for Christmas, however I didn't actually get started on it until January 6.

I'm almost finished with week 3 now and it is awesome. I like it so much more than P90X. Even though my son is playing basketball at the moment and I'm coaching his soccer team too, it hasn't prevented me from getting my workouts in. It is a mixture of 6 martial arts, so there are tons of punches, kicks, and various cardio exercises that keep your heart rate up. They change it up often enough that you don't get bored. There is a strength training day in the routine, and a plyo day, but the other days are all martial arts. I'm doing the regular "Combat Warrior" calendar the first time through. After the 60 days are up, I'm going to start again on the "Ultimate Warrior" calendar. After that, I may finally pop in those Insanity discs that have been collecting dust forever now.

So far, almost 4 weeks in, I've shed 9 pounds and feel awesome. I had set a goal to lose 27 pounds in the 60 days, but I don't think it will happen. 20 may be a bit more attainable. I would like to lost about 45 pounds or so total, so that is why I plan on doing a 2nd run through and then do Insanity. I have changed up my eating habits, but I don't follow the diet plan to the T. I just make better decisions and eat smaller portions.
Posted Image

#1406 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Good job Lokki. I know how tough it is to find time to exercise if you have kids. 20 lbs. in 2 months is a good pace. Anything more than that and you are likely to gain it back quickly. Slow and steady.

I haven't heard of the Les Mills Combat workout but I'll check it out. Once I'm finished with Insanity this time around I think I'll want something new.

#1407 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

This has been my go-to song (and album) when going all-out with the weights:

Never do squats without it.

#1408 Lokki

Lokki

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

Good job Lokki. I know how tough it is to find time to exercise if you have kids. 20 lbs. in 2 months is a good pace. Anything more than that and you are likely to gain it back quickly. Slow and steady.

I haven't heard of the Les Mills Combat workout but I'll check it out. Once I'm finished with Insanity this time around I think I'll want something new.

Combat is a new program from Beachbody.. the same people that sell P90X and Insantiy.

http://www.beachbody...mbat-workout.do
Posted Image

#1409 Survivalism

Survivalism

CAG's Lance Boyle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

Getting back on the wagon starting today. I took an extended pie vacation over the holidays and feel like total crap. I was thinking about buying a new bike but the CAG in me tells me to just take up running. I think that's what I'd like to do this year since I only started biking because I was too fat to run.

#1410 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

This has been my go-to song (and album) when going all-out with the weights:

Never do squats without it.

Hell yes!

I'm feeling pretty good 2 weeks back into it and I'm also seeing the effects already as my skinny jeans are not so tight any more. I bought a bunch of new clothes last summer and I noticed they weren't as roomy as they once were but I'm on my way back. Good thing I got rid of all my XL clothes.

The raspberry ketones should be here on Monday (personal science experiment) and I've been eating a chocolate protein shake in the afternoons to curb my appetite. I'm also not sore anymore which is nice. I think Memorial Day is a realistic time for me to hit my goals (175 lbs and jacked like a mofo... OK, actually just some more definition).