CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

• Please log in to reply
1681 replies to this topic

#1531 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

How accurate do you suppose the ipod nano's Nike+ fitness app is for distance? I just got back...and im beat tired. But its saying i did 2.5 miles in 17.5 mins. I'm a little skeptical since i haven't run in ages

was it on your arm or in your pocket? I feel that could make a big difference (unless it's the kind you put in your shoe sole)

76561198022997080.pngA_Different_Nate.png

#1532 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

pocket

#1533 Gears24

Gears24

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

you would really need to be more specific as to where you want to gain mass. The basic go to ones would be compounds: Squats, bench, and deadlifts. That's a good start, though obviously you'll want to get a routine going.

um,pretty much my entire upper body. I haven't done squats because i can't get the form correctly & i've never tried deadlift. The routine I have going isn't the best right now. Mondays & Thursdays I do upper body. I do bench press,incline bench press,decline bench press,dumbbell curls,shoulder press,lat pulldown,and tricep press. Tuesday & Thursdays I do lower body and abs. I do leg extensions,leg curls,leg press,standing calf raise,situps,and rotary turbo. So I was looking to get into a rountine of working two muscle groups per day rather than all in one day.

#1534 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

pocket

from this thread http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1272045 Seems most people are getting longer times, do to the fact it's basically just a fancy pedometer. Probably a little over estimated from the sound of it:-(

#1535 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

I know this isn't really the right thread,but it's the only one close since it kind of involves working out. Would anyone know any good mass gaining workouts? I would appreciate the help!

Need some more details. What's the goal for gaining? Are you trying to add only lean muscle, to fill out a skinny frame quickly, or just add as much strength as possible and worry about cutting the fat later?

Also, eating is going to be just as important as the workout. Do your best to fully explain what your goal is and I'm sure we can get you some guidance.

Also, welcome to the thread. You've come to the right place, it's more of a fitness thread than solely weight loss. :)
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#1536 Gears24

Gears24

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

Need some more details. What's the goal for gaining? Are you trying to add only lean muscle, to fill out a skinny frame quickly, or just add as much strength as possible and worry about cutting the fat later?

Also, eating is going to be just as important as the workout. Do your best to fully explain what your goal is and I'm sure we can get you some guidance.

Also, welcome to the thread. You've come to the right place, it's more of a fitness thread than solely weight loss. :)

Ah,thanks you pretty much mentioned the goal for my gaining. I'm trying to add only lean muscle,to fill out a skinny frame. I'm not looking to cut fat.

#1537 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Ah,thanks you pretty much mentioned the goal for my gaining. I'm trying to add only lean muscle,to fill out a skinny frame. I'm not looking to cut fat.

As was already mentioned, eat. Diet will be crucial. Look up any of the numerous TDEE calculators online and figure out how many caloires you'll need to gain lean mass. it's not an exact science, but it'll give you a general idea of what you'll need.

As for your workout, it really doesn't need to be complex. Generally, moderately heavy weights in the 8-12 rep range will be more conducive to gaining mass, but each person's body is different. Experiment and find out what works for you.

Compound lifts are the way to go. Learn to squat, back and front style. There is simply no better exercise for the lower body. Limiting yourself to the leg press is ignoring your posterior chain. Mix in some deadlifts (or Romanian deadlifts if you prefer) along with your leg curls and calf work and you'll have a well-rounded leg routine.

On your upper days you're doing more pressing work than is necessary imo. Drop the decline press (or just rotate it in and out with one of your other presses) and do some dumbbell rows to work your back more. Some laterals for your shoulders wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Personally, I like to change things up periodically. I may spend a few months focused on strength training; lifting very heavy in the 5 rep range. Then I'll switch (as I did just a couple of weeks ago) to lighter weights, more sets, higher reps, and much shorter rest between sets to really burn the muscles. This is a simple, alternating push/pull split, three days a week, which I'm really enjoying. Progress has been slow, but I can definately see the results in the mirror.

#1538 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

How accurate do you suppose the ipod nano's Nike+ fitness app is for distance? I just got back...and im beat tired. But its saying i did 2.5 miles in 17.5 mins. I'm a little skeptical since i haven't run in ages

I measured the loop i used by using MapMyRun the other day - .47 miles. Don't know how many times i ran it on Monday though, so when I go tonight I'll know if the run was accurate or not. :D

#1539 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

4 weeks into my cut and I'm down 6 pounds :). Woo woo!

#1540 Gears24

Gears24

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:04 AM

As was already mentioned, eat. Diet will be crucial. Look up any of the numerous TDEE calculators online and figure out how many caloires you'll need to gain lean mass. it's not an exact science, but it'll give you a general idea of what you'll need.

As for your workout, it really doesn't need to be complex. Generally, moderately heavy weights in the 8-12 rep range will be more conducive to gaining mass, but each person's body is different. Experiment and find out what works for you.

Compound lifts are the way to go. Learn to squat, back and front style. There is simply no better exercise for the lower body. Limiting yourself to the leg press is ignoring your posterior chain. Mix in some deadlifts (or Romanian deadlifts if you prefer) along with your leg curls and calf work and you'll have a well-rounded leg routine.

On your upper days you're doing more pressing work than is necessary imo. Drop the decline press (or just rotate it in and out with one of your other presses) and do some dumbbell rows to work your back more. Some laterals for your shoulders wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Personally, I like to change things up periodically. I may spend a few months focused on strength training; lifting very heavy in the 5 rep range. Then I'll switch (as I did just a couple of weeks ago) to lighter weights, more sets, higher reps, and much shorter rest between sets to really burn the muscles. This is a simple, alternating push/pull split, three days a week, which I'm really enjoying. Progress has been slow, but I can definately see the results in the mirror.

Thanks,i'll be starting a new workout tomorrow. Instead of working out 4 days working,i'll be working out 5 days. And yeah,diet is really important,but i can't seem to consume a lot. i only eat about 1500-2000 & i'm suppose to consume around 2500 to get lean mass/maintain weight.

#1541 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

Thanks,i'll be starting a new workout tomorrow. Instead of working out 4 days working,i'll be working out 5 days. And yeah,diet is really important,but i can't seem to consume a lot. i only eat about 1500-2000 & i'm suppose to consume around 2500 to get lean mass/maintain weight.

If that works for you, great, but don't assume that working out more days will always give you better results. It's the resting, eating, and sleeping between workouts that builds muscle.

If you need more calories, add some healthy fats to your diet. Nuts are a great choice, and add some extra olive oil to whatever you're cooking.

#1542 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

I bought a bit of Creatine based on the recommendations of a friend. He's a vegan though, so he probably gets more out of it than I will. We'll see. Just don't want to look like a marshmallow

#1543 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

I will hate on creatine until the day I die. That shit is terrible for you. You'll get results but Fuck putting that into my body.

#1544 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hit up the peanut butter my friend.

#1545 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:09 AM

I will hate on creatine until the day I die. That shit is terrible for you. You'll get results but Fuck putting that into my body.

you know from experience or from just reading up on it? It seems if you take in moderation, and drink plenty of water, it would be ok. I'm thinking of taking half a teaspoon since it says to take 1 and see if I notice anything to start.

I'm not looking to get huge, so don't plan on doing for long either way.

#1546 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Same here. It works but only if you want to be fat strong. When I tried it like 15 years ago I jumped from 185 on the bench to 255 in a matter of weeks. I was also bloated as hell and looked awful.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1547 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

My take on creatine: I've been on it for months. No bloat, no "fat guy" look. No side-effects. (I'm 175-ish pounds and closing in on 10% bodyfat.)

I finished up "Shortcut to Size" today. I definitely recommend the program. I made nice gains. The only exercise I missed was deadlifts.

Gonna measure tomorrow and see just how much I gained.

#1548 AndrewCP

AndrewCP

I'veGotBallsOfSteel!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'm not sold on creatine. I haven't seen solid proof but have only heard from numerous people that it aided in their balding and I would like to keep my hair and not risk it. Maybe you won't bald from using it but regardless I'd rather not take my chances and have sufficient gains without using it.

Anyway, I'm cutting now so I can experience a good summer in Korea. I've bulked to 180+lbs and since I last checked am down to 170+lbs. I won't be as lean as I want to be until I go down to 150lbs which is what I will accomplish by summer time. It's a skinny weight but I'd rather be low body fat for summer. I'll go on a long clean bulk after August and cut again next summer with a more respectable size. That and I also want to cut again to regain my facial aesthetics and look older, hate dat baby face chit I got when I bulked.
Posted Image
Thanks to QiG for the kick-ass Duke Nukem Cocksmas Avatar

#1549 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

My take on creatine: I've been on it for months. No bloat, no "fat guy" look. No side-effects. (I'm 175-ish pounds and closing in on 10% bodyfat.)

I finished up "Shortcut to Size" today. I definitely recommend the program. I made nice gains. The only exercise I missed was deadlifts.

Gonna measure tomorrow and see just how much I gained.

I have a tendency to bloat if I use more than 20 g/20000 mg a day. Used a lot of different brands. I use Bodybuilding.com brand creatine 'cause it works best in my biology.

http://www.bodybuild...d-creatine.html

Over the last six months or so I've put on some good lean muscle. Went from 169-170 in September to 187 today. A solid chunk of my medium shirts are now too short and I'm in the process of re-buying my wardrobe—again. Just remind myself: Size is just a number when you're fit.

This is a meal replacement that I've been rocking to build up/keep the size:

Spoiler

Speaking of: I hate being that guy, but I've had to reinforce the fact that body fat percentage is more important than weight. Trying to get some friends to realize that weight loss is sometimes not the same as being fit, and that endurance is important.

Stopping by to say hello. Hope everyone is well. *bow*

#1550 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

anyone have thoughts on doing cardio/HIIT after lifting? I noticed I'm starting to creep into being skinny fat, so I thought adding cardio would be a good way to help (cutting calories only seems to make me lose muscle). I did 30m or so of HIIT after a 45m chest and tricep session today, and while I felt pretty beat, it did seem like a more complete workout. Online though, there are so many different opinions on whether it's a good idea or not, I can't decide what to think. Some say it will help cut down on fat, others that it destroys your gains. Some say it's fine after lifting, others to keep it separate.

If you guys have any first hand experience, I'd love your advice (bare with me, I know I ask a lot of questions:oops:).

#1551 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

anyone have thoughts on doing cardio/HIIT after lifting?

I've had good results lifting after I do a HIIT session. Light weights though - I am not trying to bulk up.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1552 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Over the last couple of weeks I've been keeping track of my calorie intake using myfitnesspal again. I haven't started exercising, but am already seeing some results. Since the last time I weighed myself about a month and a half ago, I'm down 4 pounds to 206.

I'm in a wedding coming in August so I want to get down to around 190 or so before then. Definitely seems doable at this point if I add some exercise into the mix.

By the way, does anyone else have a fitbit? It's lonely working keeping track of yourself :lol:

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#1553 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

I think there was a fit but group or topic on CAG you could find with the search feature. I'm on mobile right now otherwise I'd link it for you.

Nice progress thus far!

#1554 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Found it. Thanks!

http://www.fitbit.com/group/229W3T

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#1555 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Well today was day 3 of week 5 of the pull up program, and I'm a bit dissapointed with my progress. I was doing great up until dat 2, when I couldn't do.ish all my reps. Same thing today for day 3. I only managed 5/7&5/8 for day 2, and 7/9&7/10 for day 3, despite doubling the rest time on the final set.

So what should I do? Redo this week, start back on an earlier one, or keep moving forward and hope I make progress? Could really use some advice, as I'd hate to waste my time running in place:cry:

#1556 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

I'm actually doing it myself. Just did Day 2 of Week 3. Haven't had any issues so far, but , I've also been doing pull-ups for a long time.

I'd prolly redo the week, if it were me.

#1557 mightyduck

mightyduck

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

Still sitting at around 185. Down roughly 15-20 pounds. Would like to get down to 165, which is what I was in college. I'm roughly 5'9.

I've started running more, up from 2 miles to 3, eating less/healthier, and using the weight machine too. Just having a hard time getting below 183, which is what my lowest was a few weeks ago.

#1558 Gears24

Gears24

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Would taking a protein shake before & after my workout be bad? Just curious.

#1559 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

Would taking a protein shake before & after my workout be bad? Just curious.

I always take one after, as everything I've read says that that is when your muscle is most begging for nutrients (ie. protein), and this is a quick and easy way for me to get a good amount. Not sure on before, I think that might make me a little bloated.

#1560 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

I take one after. I know people who take a before and after, and some that take (sip) a shake during the workout.

Personal preference, I suppose.