CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

• Please log in to reply
1681 replies to this topic

#181 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

How do you even measure body fat? You must be pretty thin to only be 145 lbs. Are you lifting and eating a ton of protein in addition to cardio?

My dad told me I looked weird yesterday because I was so thin - apparently I've lost weight in my face or something according to him. Anyway, it felt pretty good hearing it - people are noticing!

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#182 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

145 isn't that thin, but pretty decent for 5'6 if he's been working out.

#183 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

I weighed in today expecting the worst, but I'm still holding steady at 196. I'm going to start the food diary on myfitnesspal again to make sure I'm on track.

fs_overall.pngiZSbQwp.gif

#184 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Weekly update:

Height: 6'-0"
December 9, 2011: 182.4
NEW GOAL: 180 lbs.

So I lost another 1/2 lb. this week. Not too shabby but it's looking like getting to 180 by Christmas will be next to impossible. I started stepping up my weights again which is probably limiting the weight loss...

#185 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:37 AM

Well I've done the "wake up early and run" two times now.

Not so bad.

5 minutes at 4.5, 25 minutes at 6.0 and 10 minutes at 5.0.

seanr1221.png

#186 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

So tomorrow is the next weigh-in for me (every Friday) and the second to last one before I go completely off the rails over Christmas/New Year's.

I stepped it up this week and I'm now trying interval training. I run 2 minutes at 10.0 on the treadmill (a.k.a. really effing fast) and then 1 minute at 8.0. I do that 11 times (33 minutes total) and feel like completely throwing up when it is over. Something has to be working. It got to the point that going at a steady pace wasn't really tiring me out - I'd stop and take a couple of breaths and it was like I never did anything. Hopefully this new interval thing will pay off on the scale tomorrow.

I also got the Insanity program from a friend that I'm planning to try in January. The nutrition guide is going to be difficult because so much planning is involved. I guess I'll find out soon enough...

#187 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

So tomorrow is the next weigh-in for me (every Friday) and the second to last one before I go completely off the rails over Christmas/New Year's.

I stepped it up this week and I'm now trying interval training. I run 2 minutes at 10.0 on the treadmill (a.k.a. really effing fast) and then 1 minute at 8.0. I do that 11 times (33 minutes total) and feel like completely throwing up when it is over. Something has to be working. It got to the point that going at a steady pace wasn't really tiring me out - I'd stop and take a couple of breaths and it was like I never did anything. Hopefully this new interval thing will pay off on the scale tomorrow.

I also got the Insanity program from a friend that I'm planning to try in January. The nutrition guide is going to be difficult because so much planning is involved. I guess I'll find out soon enough...

Interval training is tough, but looks like good prep for Insantity.

If you're looking to really get fucked up, I recommend adding some modified burpies with weights. Use two dumbells with a comfortable weight of course and not something you completely struggle on doing curls.

Starting from the down push-up position with feet shoulder-width apart and hands on the weights:
- Push to extention
- Lat raise with one arm
- Lat raise the other arm
- Lower yourself til your bi's are parallel to the ground(so you don't f-up your shoulder)
- Bring your feet to a squating position
- Stand up
- Do a shoulder press

That's one, rinse, and repeat.

#188 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

My friend let me borrow the first insanity workout dvd after I was telling him about running getting miserable with the colder weather. Looks like a good workout but I wasn't able to do it. Not because I wasn't capable of keeping up, but because I don't see how anyone other than a tiny housewife could do it in his or her home.

It is A LOT of jumping and with me being tall enough that I can touch my head on the 8 foot ceilings with my best effort standing jump that doesn't work out. Plus, even with my new and improved lighter ass (197! haven't updated in a while) every dish in the cabinets rattles like it's an earthquake if I do moderate effort when Shaun T is telling me to give it all I got.

Hopefully you have a basement or some place to do the workout that actually allows you to do what the videos ask of you.

#189 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

A couple videos for you guys:

It has the burpie I was talking about and also shows part of the diet that Rain had for Ninja Assasin. Training regimen was put together by the guys that worked on 300. He's hamming it up for the camera, but you can see the pain on his face after doing that craziness everyday for 6 months...LOLZ.

http://www.youtube.c...loVwmwlc#t=136s

This fucker here is 60 years old...need I say more?

#190 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Weekly update:

Height: 6'-0"
December 16, 2011: 180.8
NEW GOAL: 180 lbs.

The interval training is definitely working - I lost 1.6 lbs. this week which is a lot at this point. 180 by Christmas might actually happen. I am tired as hell though and when I get to work I want to take a nap. Oh well, I'll be the fittest mofo on the unemployment line.

Hopefully you have a basement or some place to do the workout that actually allows you to do what the videos ask of you.

yeah - I think I'm still going to go to the gym to do the program. There is a room in the back for exercise classes that isn't used in the early mornings. I'm going to put the videos on my iPhone and try that.

This fucker here is 60 years old...need I say more?

Holy shit - that guy is insane. 60!! Unreal.

#191 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'm nearly where I want to be with my body. In the last five months, I went from using 30 pound dumbbells in my home gym (all I have room for) to using 80 pound dumbbells! Considering I'm around 165 pounds, I'm basically carrying my weight around during my reps!

I've got my abs back! The *last* place I need to lose some fat is on my ass...and the two spots above on my lower back. (Most places say that's the hardest spot for guys to lose.)

I'm just gonna stick with it. Been eating clean for a couple months and, gonna keep with the high weight/low rep workouts. Hopefully a few months from now that last bit of fat will disappear!

#192 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

I'm nearly where I want to be with my body. In the last five months, I went from using 30 pound dumbbells in my home gym (all I have room for) to using 80 pound dumbbells! Considering I'm around 165 pounds, I'm basically carrying my weight around during my reps!

What exercises are you doing with 80 pound dumbbells?
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#193 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Awesome Rig - you must be jacked if you are working out with 80lb. dumbells - especially since you don't weight that much to begin with.

This morning I actually used 15 lb dumbbells for some curls - FEAR ME!!! Actually, I think I completely tore my right shoulder because I can't lift my arm above my head so I have to keep the weights SUPER light. I don't know what the problem could be and I can't pinpoint it to a specific event but it hurts like hell. I need to get it looked at - been this way for a year or so....

#194 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

Awesome Rig - you must be jacked if you are working out with 80lb. dumbells - especially since you don't weight that much to begin with.

This morning I actually used 15 lb dumbbells for some curls - FEAR ME!!! Actually, I think I completely tore my right shoulder because I can't lift my arm above my head so I have to keep the weights SUPER light. I don't know what the problem could be and I can't pinpoint it to a specific event but it hurts like hell. I need to get it looked at - been this way for a year or so....

Sounds like you were doing standing curls? You might've been "cheating" and stressed out your shoulders because they aren't strong enough to isolate your bi's and movement.

I find that doing them sitting is better because it's easier to control the swaying and isolation.

#195 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

Sounds like you were doing standing curls? You might've been "cheating" and stressed out your shoulders because they aren't strong enough to isolate your bi's and movement.

I find that doing them sitting is better because it's easier to control the swaying and isolation.

It's definitely not from weightlifting. I haven't been lifting weights until recently (I took about 12-14 months off) and it started bothering me like 8-10 months ago. I can't figure it out. As crazy as it sounds, I think it might be because of my shitty mattress and me sleeping on my right arm. Crazy but I'm out of ideas and I'm in the most pain when I wake up.

I usually do seated curls too - way better form.

#196 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

It's definitely not from weightlifting. I haven't been lifting weights until recently (I took about 12-14 months off) and it started bothering me like 8-10 months ago. I can't figure it out. As crazy as it sounds, I think it might be because of my shitty mattress and me sleeping on my right arm. Crazy but I'm out of ideas and I'm in the most pain when I wake up.

I usually do seated curls too - way better form.

Sleeping position can have an affect. If I sleep the wrong way, I wake up with a sore chest, but it isn't persistant. Might want to check it out anyways because you're a pretty old dude.

I kid...I kid...:lol:

#197 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

What exercises are you doing with 80 pound dumbbells?

Doing quite a few of these exercises: http://www.bodybuild...m/fun/wotw3.htm

With that being said, there are a number of exercises I cannot do at that amount of weight. I have to knock off a couple of the weight plates to do quality bicep curls, for example. (I'm working hard on my forearms, which seem to hinder me a bit on the higher weights.)

#198 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:51 AM

Doing quite a few of these exercises: http://www.bodybuild...m/fun/wotw3.htm

With that being said, there are a number of exercises I cannot do at that amount of weight. I have to knock off a couple of the weight plates to do quality bicep curls, for example. (I'm working hard on my forearms, which seem to hinder me a bit on the higher weights.)

I was wondering if you were doing curls with 80 lb dumbbells, because I know a couple guys that are your height and weight that hit the gym and have problems with 45's. I was thinking "holy shit, curls with 80's at that size, dude must be cock diesel".

#199 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

I'm 5'10 and in July 2011 I was about 172 pounds. My original goal was to get down to 160 and start gaining more muscle mass but I'm down to 158 and still have a huge fucking belly. What am I supposed to do? I don't exactly want to get down to 150 or anything but I'm trying to get a flat stomach and work from there.

158 might sound low for my height but I'm definitely not a twig, I guess I just have thin bones. I bench 195 and curl 45 lb dumbbells so strength isn't an issue. But I just don't want to lose TOO much. My family says that my face is looking a little thin but I want to lose a bit more to get rid of the stomach. I had thought 160 would have gotten rid of it but apparently not.

Should I just keep losing more? And if anyone is wondering if I should try and gain muscle while losing weight, that is what I've been doing for the past few months. My bench went from 95 to 195 while my weight went down from 172 to 158.

#200 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:59 AM

I'm 5'10 and in July 2011 I was about 172 pounds. My original goal was to get down to 160 and start gaining more muscle mass but I'm down to 158 and still have a huge fucking belly. What am I supposed to do? I don't exactly want to get down to 150 or anything but I'm trying to get a flat stomach and work from there.

158 might sound low for my height but I'm definitely not a twig, I guess I just have thin bones. I bench 195 and curl 45 lb dumbbells so strength isn't an issue. But I just don't want to lose TOO much. My family says that my face is looking a little thin but I want to lose a bit more to get rid of the stomach. I had thought 160 would have gotten rid of it but apparently not.

Should I just keep losing more? And if anyone is wondering if I should try and gain muscle while losing weight, that is what I've been doing for the past few months. My bench went from 95 to 195 while my weight went down from 172 to 158.

You need to regulate what you're eating. Cut out all soda, beer, juice, and eating more fruit to start with. Also, realize that you might just not be able to have a flat stomach because some people have gut that protrude even when lean. There can also be an age factor, but without knowing what you look like, it's hard to say for sure.

#201 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:05 AM

Does eating have anything to do with it though? I mean granted I am eating very healthy so the fact that I dropped 14 pounds already shows I'm definitely burning more calories than I am taking in. As for the gut that protrudes, it is more like love handles so it is actual fat that I need to get rid of.

#202 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:59 AM

Does eating have anything to do with it though? I mean granted I am eating very healthy so the fact that I dropped 14 pounds already shows I'm definitely burning more calories than I am taking in. As for the gut that protrudes, it is more like love handles so it is actual fat that I need to get rid of.

Eating has EVERYTHING to do with it and it really takes a very long time to sculpt a body unless you're able to do it as a fulltime job. Not only that, but it's not something that is easily maintained either.

I don't like using the calorie in/calorie out theory because it's a little too simplistic as it doesn't really say anything about the muscle to body fat ratio and focuses too much on weight. Unless you're doing some serious calorie cutting down to under 1200 a day, and you shouldn't, I would focus on other metrics.

Like I said though, without knowing what you look like, what you're eating, and what your goals are, it's hard to give you a better direction than eating a much more restricted diet. I wouldn't worry too much about weight because it's not a good number to go off of.

#203 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Ok I'm back on this...

After two weeks in Texas and eating pretty much anything I wanted including all you can eat pizza and taco buffets, I'm in bad shape. I gained 10 pounds! I can't believe I gained so much in only 2 weeks.

Height: 5'7

Starting Weight (May): 231.6
Last month's weight: 196.4 lbs
Current weight: 206.6
Goal weight: 36.6 pounds to go

#204 jousley

jousley

10yr Member of CAG!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

Ok, its time to get into shape again. Here is my info

Start Date: Jan 2, 2012
Height: 6'5"
Current Weight: 390 lbs
First goal: 370lbs

Here's my story. Was in a car accident a year ago August. I have had back issues ever since. The beginning of last year, I had lost 30 pounds in 3 months by walking, taking the stairs at work and eating better. The back isses popped back up and have been an issues ever since in varying degrees.
I want to lose weight and get into shape again. I hate the way I feel . Being limited by my injuries have really helped to pack this weight on. A big goal of mine is to get down to 275 so I can go zip lining in Catlinburg, TN. Ultimately, Id like to get to 250 or less.
I want to add muscle to my arms and chest as well. The problem I have is I can not bench press because everytime I try, I get terrible back spasms. What are some good exercizes and weight lifting techniques can I do that won't cause stress to my lower back? If anyone can give me some tips, I'd be grateful.

#205 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

I can't find the Fitness thread, so I assume this thread's the last active "Fitness" topic.

Eating is vital in changing your life/appearance. I went vegan to cleanse my body, though I'm vegetarian by nature, so the chance wasn't hard at all.

I dig this thread. Good luck to you all.

Let's see . . . This is how I start it, right?

Height: 5'10"
Current weight: 180
Goal: 190

My story begins about six months ago, but the real story begins nine years ago. In short, I was fat in high school (a fat 195), went on a ridiculously unhealthy diet for many years (a very unhealthy 155), and became healthy (170) a couple years ago.

So, I workout a lot and have put in around a grand or two into creating a pretty neat little home gym. I have two Thai heavy bags, a good Roman chair, a bunch of weights, etc. Over the last six months, I have put on a legit 10 pounds of lean muscle. My body fat is at 8-percent on a good day and 9-percent on a bad day. I'm trying to get down to a lean 5-percent so I can put on another 10-15 pounds of lean muscle. My goal is to be a lean 190 so I can put more time into skills training at either Throwdown Training Center or Wand Fight Team. I'm very, very timid about visiting those places, as I feel I'm no where near conditioned enough to even step foot in there. I was injured for the last two months. Prior, I went on weekends every so often.

Monday through Friday, I usually get in 4 to 6 hours on the grindstone. (I work during the day and also study for school, so I've pretty much sacrificed most of my social life to get in these workouts.) Right now, I do a solid two hours of cardio (usually a run with a 20-pound weighted vest; I did six months with a 40-pound vest but that's what messed up my back.). After that, I do two to four hours of everything else. This is a mix of various exercises and advice I've taken from various fighters. I usually finish it off with a 30-60 minute run, and that's Monday through Friday.

I'm sorry for the longwinded first post. Again, g'luck to you all and I hope you meet your goals. *bows*

#206 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

I'm no expert and I almost feel stupid giving you advice since you're in much better shape than I am, but I'd tend to believe that between having to deal with a vegetarian/vegan diet, that much cardio, and you not allowing your body proper rest periods (4 days straight of 4-6 hours is over the top, you need a rest day in between)... Gaining muscle is going to be extremely difficult for you.

It is much easier to bulk and gain some fat that you can cut after your bulk period than it is to slowly add nothing but lean muscle.

You should try 4-6 weeks of eating like a horse (veggies, good carbs for energy, and at least 2-3 grams of protein per pound of body weight), 3 day split weightlifting routine on MWF with heavy weight and low reps (go slow, focus on your form), light cardio on TR, rest on the weekends, and make damn sure you sleep at least 8 to 9 hours a night. It can be more complicated, but that's the basics.

You can go back to your conditioning afterwards and clean up the little bit of fat you will gain.

I know that is probably the last idea you wanted to hear, but attempting to add 15 pounds of muscle while you're trying to keep up with a program like you are on is just not very smart. I don't even know if you could force feed yourself enough calories to actually get any noticeable muscle gains while doing all of that cardio and fight training.

Edit: Since you say you have a home gym, where are you getting your bodyfat percentages from? Hopefully from someone who knows what they are doing with the calipers and not from one of those scales that give bodyfat percentages that are totally bogus.

Also, what were you doing before you gained this 10 pounds of muscle in terms of diet and exercise, and what did you change to gain it.

#207 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Oh hey. :) I'm no expert either and as stupid as the next person. Hahaha...

Since I healed up, I have been inspired by the idea of doing things sans supplements. However, that idea went up in flames on my fourth day back. I went back to consuming this— I forgot the company name, but it's a "superfood" shake. (Container opening was too narrow so I dumped it in a wide-mouth storage container.) I've been through a lot of supplements, and this is one of the better nutrient shakes out there. I'll snap a photo the next time I buy it. But yeah, I eat a lot. I spread out about 6 small meals throughout the day. I also eat between my workouts. Supplements help because a lot of the time I burn myself out of food and rarely feel like eating.

As for splitting-up my workouts, there was a period where I did three hours at night then three hours in the morning before work. I found that schedule difficult 'cause timing sleep became a real pain. I have become better at not working on everything every day. I do work core and cardio every day, though, and alternate exercises so I'm not doing the same thing every day.

I have calipers and see my physician regularly. I primarily let my physician do his job—as it's nigh impossible to get the proper measurements on my own. :)

I put on the lean muscle by just being consistent. Knowing when to change things up. Sleeping well. Taking a few more supplements. Pretty much what I do now minus the extra supplements. My body retains a lot of muscle in the legs, back, and shoulders. While I was injured, I lost 8-10 pounds from my arms and legs. I put on and lose muscle pretty easily.

As for regular exercises that don't require extra equipment, squats and lunges work wonders.

If you don't mind getting extra equipment, a good medicine ball can be your best friend. There are a lot of exercises to be done. And those exercises provide a good, tiring workout. I think that stuff is evenly difficult to what I do on regular basis. Hahaha... I'm also a big fan of my Roman chair. :)

#208 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Down 3 pounds after being off the "Texas" diet!

Height: 5'7

Starting Weight (May): 231.6
Last week's weight: 206.6 lbs
Current weight: 203.6
Goal weight: 33.6 pounds to go

#209 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Started strong lifts 5x5 this week. Anyone try it before?

#210 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

I've been unable to lift for nearly two weeks now. I have medial epicondylitis (golfer's elbow) on my left arm due to overuse (and bad bowling form, I presume). It's very close to 100% again, and, I'm getting very excited to finally get back in the home gym and get going again.

Purchased some more equipment from Ironmaster that's set to arrive tomorrow. Got a chin-up bar for my bench, new barbell, and new leg extension/curl attachments. Very excited!

Actually, I've lost a couple pounds in these two weeks because I've only been able to focus on cardio (that didn't require me to use that arm).