CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

• Please log in to reply
1698 replies to this topic

#211 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

I've been back at it for 2 weeks after taking the week between Christmas and New Year's off. Man, one week off does a lot of damage. My weigh-in is Friday but I can already tell I put on a pound or three since December 23 (the last time I weighed in). Ugh.

I'm planning to start that Insanity program soon - hopefully by the end of the month. I want to get down to 180 and then start and I think I'm a few pounds away right now. I'll know more on Friday.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#212 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Ok, its time to get into shape again. Here is my info

Start Date: Jan 2, 2012
Height: 6'5"
Current Weight: 390 lbs
First goal: 370lbs

Here's my story. Was in a car accident a year ago August. I have had back issues ever since. The beginning of last year, I had lost 30 pounds in 3 months by walking, taking the stairs at work and eating better. The back isses popped back up and have been an issues ever since in varying degrees.
I want to lose weight and get into shape again. I hate the way I feel . Being limited by my injuries have really helped to pack this weight on. A big goal of mine is to get down to 275 so I can go zip lining in Catlinburg, TN. Ultimately, Id like to get to 250 or less.
I want to add muscle to my arms and chest as well. The problem I have is I can not bench press because everytime I try, I get terrible back spasms. What are some good exercizes and weight lifting techniques can I do that won't cause stress to my lower back? If anyone can give me some tips, I'd be grateful.

In your current condition, I'd stick with the absolute basics of just being more active, drink water only, and lighten up on the weights. 100lbs is certainly doable, but isn't something that should be rushed and is a long process.

Personally, I'm not a fan of bench presses, but seated and inclined dumbell flys, raises, and overhead presses are a good start. If you really want to bench, start with the bar first and add weight as your body adjusts to it.

Good luck!

And it's good to see updates from everybody!

#213 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

Why do you not like benching?

#214 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

I think I'm going to enter the CAG Ring:

Height: 6'0"
Starting Weight (Jan 1, 2012): 250.2
This week's Weigh-In (Tuesday): 235.6 lbs
Goal weight: 200lbs - 35.6 pounds to go

My story is in the past 7 years I have Yo-Yo'd between 265 at my heaviest and 171 two years ago. I have a thick build, broad shoulders and even when I was an underweight little kid, a belly. I've come to the realization that I will never have 6 pack abs, and I am OK with that. I'm built for comfort. I don't lift weights, however I do run and I play a lot of basketball. Food is my biggest battle, growing up Italian has that effect. I love food. Period.

While, I dont have a problem(or at least I didn't in the past) losing the weight (the last time I did this over three years ago, I lost 70lbs in 7 months), it's keeping it off/staying motivated to keep going to the gym.

My plan is simple...I'm using my old Weight Watchers Point System books that I purchased off of eBay. For those who wonder if it really works, yes it does. But you have to like measuring every thing out that is not pre-packaged (not so bad if you like cooking, like I do) every day, three times a day. And will power, because there are nights you do go to bed and you wish you had at least 30 more points to spend.

As for exercise, I am also keeping it simple...35 minutes on the treadmill on Monday and Wednesday and 4 on 4 Full Court Basketball on Tuesday and Thursday. For my treadmill work, I started last week at 2.75 miles doing intervals and my goal is to only go forward, meaning I cannot run less miles than I did the time before. It keeps it fun, and right now I am up to 3.05 miles, so I'll have to beat that when go today. Eventually, if I get bored I will do a stepper or eliptical to change it up. I also bought Kinect Zumba, but honestly that was more so I could watch my wife do it, but I will give it a shot.

Quick question about heart rate and fat burning...I have a normal rested heart rate. I've noticed while on the treadmill, especially after sprints, that my heart rate peaks at about 192 BPM, then goes back to around 150-160 before its time for my next interval to kick in. Is it better to have a high rate like that for fat burning, or is that more for marathon training (which I have no plans of doing)? What is the BPM 'zone' for fat burning?

Thnaks in advance!

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

#215 thegreek

thegreek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Height: 5' 11"
Starting weight: 289
Current weight: 263
Goal: 200

Been working out for almost 2 weeks, eating right, dropped all soda products. I feel great!! Great thread and let's keep each other motivated:applause:

#216 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

Why do you not like benching?

I feel like I get a better workout with dumbells rather than a bar and I don't like being on my back for exercises because it messes with my sense of balance. Being flat makes me feel like I'm on a decline and sit-ups hurt my tailbone.

It's a good exercise that works; just not for me.

#217 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

I don't like being on my back for exercises because it messes with my sense of balance.

But cowgirl is awesome!

#218 iamsobroke

iamsobroke

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

Height: 6' 0"
Start date January 3rd
Starting Weight: 299
Current Weight: 286
Goal: 220

I have been heavy most of my life except in high school, where I lost about 65 pounds down to 160 while I was 16-18. after that it has been a steady rise up gaining about 140 in 9/10 years. My wife has been begging me to lose weight for the past 3 years, and even when we were dating I told her I would lose weight for the wedding. Well Needless to say I broke that promise, but something inside me clicked and told my wife I would start a Diet and Excercise routine starting the new year. Needless to say 8 days later i am down about 12-14 pounds. I am avoiding any and all kinds of starch for these first 2 weeks and eating lots of protein and veggies. I am not even tempted to cheat....yet. Hopefully that won't be an issue though. I just have to look at food as my drug, and i can't let it take a hold of me anymore. Needless to say I will enjoy taking a bite of a burger as a treat to myself after I get down to 220.

#219 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

Start date January 3rd
Starting Weight: 299
Current Weight: 286
Goal: 220

I have been heavy most of my life except in high school, where I lost about 65 pounds down to 160 while I was 16-18. after that it has been a steady rise up gaining about 140 in 9/10 years. My wife has been begging me to lose weight for the past 3 years, and even when we were dating I told her I would lose weight for the wedding. Well Needless to say I broke that promise, but something inside me clicked and told my wife I would start a Diet and Excercise routine starting the new year. Needless to say 8 days later i am down about 12-14 pounds. I am avoiding any and all kinds of starch for these first 2 weeks and eating lots of protein and veggies. I am not even tempted to cheat....yet. Hopefully that won't be an issue though. I just have to look at food as my drug, and i can't let it take a hold of me anymore. Needless to say I will enjoy taking a bite of a burger as a treat to myself after I get down to 220.

You have to give yourself at least one cheat meal a week. I generally do 2. Otherwise you might break down and go on a binge. We're only human.

Out of 21 meals a week, 1 cheat meal is less than 5% which won't impact your diet but keeps you sane.

#220 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

Yeah my fiancé and I always make our cheat meals Friday and Saturday night. I could never give up pizza or general tso's chicken cold turkey.

Mmmm, turkey.

#221 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:59 AM

You have to give yourself at least one cheat meal a week. I generally do 2. Otherwise you might break down and go on a binge. We're only human.

Out of 21 meals a week, 1 cheat meal is less than 5% which won't impact your diet but keeps you sane.

It's even better odds if you eat 5 small meals per day!

Tomorrow is weigh-in for me. I'm not feeling so good about it. Man, that one week off is killing me!

#222 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:41 AM

Love my new equipment. Definitely a great purchase.

Had a great workout tonight. Still hovering around 165 pounds. The weight doesn't actually matter to me; I'm going for strength/power increases.

#223 diddy310

diddy310

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:08 AM

Back at it...did 20 minutes of intervals on the recumbent bike 3 out of the last 4 (and did 10 on the 4th..just wasn't feeling well) Lost 20 pounds doing that at the end of last year along with eating better, hoping I can keep it up.

#224 Chase

Chase

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

I dunno. I don't do "cheat days" and haven't in a while. After a while, I just didn't care.

I'm vegan, avoid sugar, and high amounts of salt. I eat clean. While recovering from a back injury, I found that gluten-free pasta is pretty guilt-free. Whereas I had to avoid pasta with gluten protein 'cause— Well, 'cause it's pasta. Great way to put on fat.

Just my two-cents, though. Do what works for you. :)

#225 iNCREDiPiNOY

iNCREDiPiNOY

This guy is awesome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi guys,

I'm planing to lose weight using INSANITY 60 day workout program.

I have rotator cuff injuries on my left shoulder. I'm about 4.5 months away from recovery. Lot of workout program requires upper shoulder. I can't do jumping jack or weight lifting anymore. Please help me to get back to shape.

Thanks! :D

#226 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hi guys,

I'm planing to lose weight using INSANITY 60 day workout program.

I have rotator cuff injuries on my left shoulder. I'm about 4.5 months away from recovery. Lot of workout program requires upper shoulder. I can't do jumping jack or weight lifting anymore. Please help me to get back to shape.

Thanks! :D

If you can't do jumping jacks, I can't imagine the insanity workouts will be a pleasurable experience for you. Might want to check out one of the routines online first if you haven't got the program yet.

#227 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Current Weight: 181.6 lbs.
Goal: 175 lbs.

Today was my weigh-in... not too bad. Only 0.8 lbs. up from my low at the end of last year (mid-December) and about even from right before my week long binge between Christmas and New Year's. I've also been lifting weights for about 20 minutes of high rep/low weight in between my 2 runs in the morning so that could account for some weight too.

I think I can lose the last 7 lbs. by the end of March if I'm diligent with things and I can figure out how I'm going to do the Insanity workout time-wise. I need to commit to that 6 days a week and I only have 4 days a week to work out. I can't do it at home either because there is not enough room in my house and jumping around will certainly wake everyone up anyway.

#228 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

Update time.

Height: 6'4"
Current Weight: 192.8 lbs.
New Goal Weight: 180 lbs.

Since the start of the CAG Lose It thread four months ago, I've lost 31 pounds. Since the beginning of my own personal weight loss campaign that started a year and a half ago, I have lost 80.2 pounds (started at 273 pounds).

I don't hardly believe it when I tell people who ask... I've lost eighty pounds. :shock:

When this thread started I had been stuck for a couple months not losing weight and the biggest difference for me has been the calorie counting. Before I relied primarily on exercise and did what I now refer to as "eating with good intentions". Basically I ate stuff that wasn't that bad for me, but I ate entirely too much. Egg whites, turkey burgers, salads, and chicken are great and all but if you're still eating 3,000+ calories a day, it doesn't help but so much.

My new short term goal is to get down to about 180. Overall, I'd say my body type is already skinny, but I just have this slight bulge on my stomach that wraps around to the sides. It's not even a small gut, it's just barely enough padding to hide my lower abs. Once I get rid of that, I'll be ready to start packing on lean mass. Ultimate goal is to be a solid 200. Maybe I can reach that by the end of the year.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#229 Chase

Chase

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

If you can't do jumping jacks, I can't imagine the insanity workouts will be a pleasurable experience for you. Might want to check out one of the routines online first if you haven't got the program yet.

I will second this opinion because of your rotator cuff recovery.

I recommend running/jogging. It's probably the only exercise where you don't have to change it up to keep your body burning fat.

#230 iNCREDiPiNOY

iNCREDiPiNOY

This guy is awesome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Amazon.com Goldbox's Lightning Deals: INSANITY 60-Day Workout Program

6:00 AM PST - "Improve your fitness with this 60-day workout program."

www.amazon.com/INSANITY-60-Day-Conditioning-Workout-Program/dp/B002QZ1RS6/

I'm in! :D

#231 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Finished up the first week of the 5x5 and Im going to start week 2 tonight.

I can definitely feel it after my workouts, and with so little weight to start, my form is excellent.

I'm also making sure I eat a lot more protein. I've been getting 180g a day, and drinking around 100 ounces of water a day. Because of this, I think I'm retaining a lot of water and have actually gained weight.

seanr1221.png

#232 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

What is 5x5?

I was debating drinking protein shakes during the day... I don't know. I also drink a TON of water (about a gallon a day) but I don't think it affects my weight. I just pee a lot.

#233 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

It involves 5 exercises. Squats, bench, overhead press, bent over row and dead lifts.

Workout A is squats, bench and rows. Workout B is squats, overhead press and dead lifts.

One week you do A B A, next B A B.

You start off with little weight (there's a calculator to tell you how much). Like last week I squatted 85 pounds. You add 5 pounds each week, so in 12 weeks your back up to what you were regularly doing.

The idea is these 5 exercises are the best strength building ones you can do. By slowly building up over time, you work on your form a lot.

I have a PDF I can post later if you are interested.

#234 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

Dropping it like it's hot!

Height: 5'7

Starting Weight (May): 231.6
Last week's weight: 203.6 lbs
Current weight: 200.2
Goal weight: 30.2 pounds to go

Keeping track of what I eat definitely helps for me. I wish I had time to exercise since I'd probably drop it faster, but with the baby and studying for my PE exam in April, I'm going to have to resort to just counting calories.

fs_overall.png

#235 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

It involves 5 exercises. Squats, bench, overhead press, bent over row and dead lifts.

Workout A is squats, bench and rows. Workout B is squats, overhead press and dead lifts.

One week you do A B A, next B A B.

You start off with little weight (there's a calculator to tell you how much). Like last week I squatted 85 pounds. You add 5 pounds each week, so in 12 weeks your back up to what you were regularly doing.

The idea is these 5 exercises are the best strength building ones you can do. By slowly building up over time, you work on your form a lot.

I have a PDF I can post later if you are interested.

Sounds like that might be good for me since I can't get to the gym every single day.

Keeping track of what I eat definitely helps for me. I wish I had time to exercise since I'd probably drop it faster, but with the baby and studying for my PE exam in April, I'm going to have to resort to just counting calories.

Awesome man! Keep it up - it's even more impressive that you are doing this through diet alone. When you get the time to exercise you are really going to see a jump in progress!

#236 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'm going back on a diet and exercise program since I've been slacking on it for months. I have, and tried out, the P90x system, but I need to be in better shape to complete it. I ended up buying the Rip: 60 package this morning during Amazon's lightning deal with some credit I had burning in my pocket. Irony is that I had the credit from old games I had traded in a little while ago. Games for exercise/fitness basically, so not bad!

Weight: 180lbs
Height: 5' 9''
Goal weight: 150lbs-155lbs

I just started grad school so going to the gym will be much harder during the week. I've set aside an hour a day for training, which the Rip: 60 reviews stated was the program's length per day. I work full time (40 hours), and need to spend at least 20 hours a week on school, so time is limited to say the least. I'm hoping that posting here will give me some extra motivation during the more difficult days/weeks. Wish me luck!
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#237 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:23 AM

Javery:

http://s3.stronglift...-5x5-report.pdf

Glad I gave it a second look over. It's not 5 pounds a week, it's 5 pounds a workout. Whoops! Looks like I'm already a little behind :p

If you go to this link and scroll down to the tracker link http://stronglifts.c...ret-5x5-report/

You can get some starting numbers.

seanr1221.png

#238 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:55 AM

Awesome - thanks. I may try this - 3 times a week is exactly my style.

#239 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

I'm also making sure I eat a lot more protein. I've been getting 180g a day, and drinking around 100 ounces of water a day. Because of this, I think I'm retaining a lot of water and have actually gained weight.

What type of protein do you have in a typical day? I need to up my protein intake but realistically don't go over 100 grams and that includes a scoop of whey. Do you have multiple scoops?

Breakfast - 2 whole eggs and 2 extra egg whites is roughly 20 grams.

Lunch - Tuna in a can is roughly 20 grams.

Dinner - Grilled chicken is about 30 grams and a glass of milk is around 10 grams.

Whey - Another 20 grams.

#240 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

Breakfast 52g
- 2 eggs one egg white 18g
- 3 pieces of bacon 7g
- whey 27g

Lunch 51g
- 2 hardboiled eggs 12g
- can of tuna 33g
- carrots/hummus 6g