Amazon PCDD - $5 DRM Free Ubisoft Games+BOGO

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6736 replies to this topic

#2971 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

How are Beyond the Sword and Colonization for Civ IV? I have a disc-based copy of Civ IV Gold but it only comes with Warlords. Not sure if it's worth it just for those two expansions (and the ability to not use a disc), especially with Civ V that I've barely touched so far.

Beyond the Sword is, for all intents and purposes, the ultimate edition of Civ 4. Think of it as Civ 4.5.

It brings a lot of new gameplay that the base game didn't have. Warlords added armies, generals and a bunch of scenarios, but didn't really notably change the game. BtS is a big leap over base Civ 4.

If you like Civ 4, then odds are good you will like BtS. I found that it made big games even bigger, and although I enjoyed it in an abstract way, it didn't mesh with my adult life where I have less time for video games than I did years ago. But it's good, yes.

Colonization is a different game, built with the Civ 4 engine. Think of it as a super-mod. It's actually a rewrite of a game that was originally released in 1994, between Civ 1 and Civ 2, also by Sid Meier and Microprose. It bears resemblance to Civilization, but the game's mechanics are completely different - you're a colony in the new world, eventually establishing an economic and military presence and declaring independence from Europe. It's a bit more technocratic than Civ - less exploration, more economic micromanagement. But it's fun, in its own way.

#2972 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

Hmm, I'm on my last coupon. Tempted on Civ V, but also tempted to hold off and wait for something else I want more.

EDIT: Bit, bird in hand etc.

#2973 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

I really wish I could get Civ4 to register on Steam. If anyone wants a 5$ coupon, PM me with an offer (they are for trade, not giveaway). I've got a couple of em. I'd rather have my Civ4 on steam. I hope this isn't taboo, if so i'll delete.

I'll trade Civ4 complete/SimCity4 on steam for coupon code. :) (That doesn't make any sense)

Edited by sleeping_lights_on, 08 January 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#2974 kwirl

kwirl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

lol, i've got either 4 or 5 promotional codes, not sure that i will be using them, as the good sales seem to happen while i am asleep :(

#2975 Maynard

Maynard

Steam 48 hours a week.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:32 AM

does anyone happen to have an extra coupon for amazon they don't plan on using? I'de really like to get civ 5 since i've never played a civ game before but at this price i'de like to try and dive into it.

If not its ok. $8 is a good price and i'll probably get it later but just wanted to ask first.

Thanks!

wow after reading the reviews for civ 5, should I get civ 4 instead? I've never played any and want the best with at least decent graphics so not 1 or 2.

The crowds of Civilization fans are passionate about both games. I happen to prefer Civ 5 over IV, but I know friends that have been playing forever that think I'm crazy. Civ IV is very involved down to the nitty gritty of economy and such. Civ 5, while similar, is less complicated and focuses on the fun aspects of the Civilization games. Personally I would suggest both, they are both great games in their own right and at this price a steal. You wouldn't be wasting your $5 coupon at all.

Posted Image

#2976 namster1337

namster1337

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

Civ 5 for $4, how could I not?
Posted Image

#2977 Alexcalibur

Alexcalibur

The Regeneratin' Degenerate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:21 AM

If you have never played Civ before, start with 5. It will still be overwhelming.

I agree. Civ 5 manages to be the most user friendly of the series, without (in my opinion) losing too much of what essentially makes it Civ. It removed a lot of the micromanaging and needlessly complicated aspects from previous games that tended to get tedious. The biggest flaw I have with it is that they oversimplified the tech tree, but overall I think it was a massive improvement.

#2978 kwirl

kwirl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:41 AM

if you haven't gotten deep into the civ series, V is way better than IV. the only reason people slam on V is that it isn't the exact same game as IV, with prettier pictures. Some gamers refuse to let go of games they love and needlessly slam a sequel simply because it isn't the same.

If you aren't tethered to civ IV then civ V is prettier, and more fun.

#2979 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's Favorite DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:47 AM

What is the DRM on Civ 4: Complete?
Is it Securom? Something else?
Or NO DRM at all?

#2980 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

What is the DRM on Civ 4: Complete?
Is it Securom? Something else?
Or NO DRM at all?

I believe it is DRM free, I'm looking at it in my games and software library, no key = no DRM :).

Cheers,
Tony

#2981 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's Favorite DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:33 AM

I believe it is DRM free, I'm looking at it in my games and software library, no key = no DRM :).

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks for the info.
Good to know! :D

#2982 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:06 AM

Hey Tony - any chance of a discount on the Civilization V DLC that Amazon stocks, to match the great deal on the base game?

Thanks for a great deal.

#2983 kosmos13x

kosmos13x

Nocturne #BNC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:48 AM

Tony feeling any better dude?

Also 2nd the thought on maybe a future civ 5 dlc sale if you are looking into public interest. Still a freakin crazy civ 4/5 deal you guys are running.

We need to get "T-Money" to be the #1 trending topic worldwide one day for the lolz.

#2984 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

In for Civ 5!! This is a great deal with the $5 coupon!

#2985 apterous

apterous

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

In for Civ 5!! This is a great deal with the $5 coupon!

You kidding? It's a great deal *without* the $5 code. I bought the game at launch for $50 and do not regret.
Posted Image

#2986 pablo_vllj

pablo_vllj

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

I read Civ 5 had some region locking issues, anyone experiencing that?

#2987 imentec

imentec

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yes, it is region locked. (i'm sad about that)(not the goty edition ,but that is not in sale)

@Amazon DVG Deals, Tony I want to thank the great deals for Christmas and great customer support.
Really, you're the best of the holidays this year :)

Cheers to all.

#2988 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

This is an awesome deal, Tony. Thanks, and hope you're feeling better soon!

#2989 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Civilization V questions! I want to buy this for a birthday present for my friend who owns a Mac mini.

1) Is the Steam key registerable on his system via Steam for Mac?
2) Would the game even run on a Mac mini? Sorry, I am not well versed in anything Apple beyond my iPad :(

Thanks, fellow CAGs! I hope it does work because I remember him loving CivII on his Apple computer back in college.

EDIT: Did some research a moment ago and this game is listed as having Steamplay for PC and Mac, so that's good. Unfortunately, a Mac mini won't run the game very well at all, so that's not good :(

Edited by NeoGutsman, 09 January 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#2990 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hey there everyone, sorry for the super delayed response here, I'm just recovering from what I think was the worst cold/flu I've ever had, thanks to those who asked how I was doing and wished me well, apologies again to those who had/have questions that I've missed.

There are about 3-4 pages of posts that went on before I had a chance to consolidate and address questions. So please either ask again or PM me with any questions/issues that I missed.

First and foremost:

1. Did everyone who had issues getting Crysis to activate on Origin find resolution? If not, please PM me.

2. Did everyone who had an issue with their Dragon Age Ultimate Keys find resolution? If not, please PM me.

3. I did accomplish a couple of things of note this weekend:

• I set up my new gaming rig
  • I installed Civ V, Dungeon Defenders, Trine 2, Space Marine, and some other games I'm excited to play.
  • I joined the CAG Steam group (Tvac897). Feel free to look me up, and if you see me in game, drop me a line and I'll play with you.
On to your questions.

Hey Tony - any chance of a discount on the Civilization V DLC that Amazon stocks, to match the great deal on the base game?

Thanks for a great deal.

Tony feeling any better dude?

Also 2nd the thought on maybe a future civ 5 dlc sale if you are looking into public interest. Still a freakin crazy civ 4/5 deal you guys are running.

We need to get "T-Money" to be the #1 trending topic worldwide one day for the lolz.

Definitely still interested in your input :) I've added "Civ V DLC" to the long...long list of sales we discuss weekly in our meetings :).

lol, i've got either 4 or 5 promotional codes, not sure that i will be using them, as the good sales seem to happen while i am asleep :(

Sorry you keep missing out on the deals, Civ IV and V are on sale all week, so you shouldn't miss out there, and our next couple Deals of the Week should be pretty killer...and last all week :).

Very well said

I have a request from Tony and technical staff at Amazon. Can you please provide a better downloader for games ? There are 2 downloaders, one of them is the normal downloader that downloads a small file for eatch game but it doesn't show transfer rate or the remaining time, the other one has all these info but it will only download the last purchase in the library !

Do me a favor and send me a PM, I'd like to get your feedback directly and pass it along.

Tony,

I ordered Mount and Blade Warband yesterday but didn't receive the email for the additional discount on King Arthur II.

Any idea how long it will take before I get the code? Just want to make sure I get it before the game is released. :)

BTW - hope you get to feeling better!

Thanks

Thanks man! Did you get your code yet? If not please let me know so I can run down a fix for you.

Is Risen or Drakensang or Divinity II going to be on sale?

Get well soon dood!

It would be great to see a return of Game of Thrones: Genesis (not the greatest game, but for $10ish, would be decent) and Sonic Generations for $10.19 again.

I can tell you Genesis is in the works, not sure on Sonic yet though, nothing to announce there.

This is an awesome deal, Tony. Thanks, and hope you're feeling better soon!

Thanks man you rock!

I think that covers all addressable questions/concerns. If I missed something, again, please feel free to reach out!

Cheers,
T-Money

#2991 captaink

captaink

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

I grabbed Civ V for $4, because why not? I won't have time to play it any time soon though., I think I'm going to wait and hold my last coupon for the Sims Medieval. Hopefully it goes on sale.

#2992 elcheapo2

elcheapo2

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Tony, is there any way to gift a PCDD purchase? I already own Civ 5, but I'd like to purchase it for a friend.

The only solution I can think of is buying it, and sending them the steam key. It'd be nice if it was a little more official, but I'll take what I can get.

#2993 Play3rtwo

Play3rtwo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

would anyone have an extra $5 amazon code they don't want and would be willing to spare? I hate to panhandle, but i really love civ 5 but only have a few dollars in amazon credit.

#2994 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

I installed Civ V, Dungeon Defenders, Trine 2, Space Marine, and some other games I'm

Great games! There goes your spare time! :D

Dungeon Defenders is a huge time-sink. I've had a blast with it so far both in multiplayer and singleplayer games. Be aware though that heroes are tracked separately and achievements can only be earned when logged into TrendyNet via Ranked Servers. I played a ton offline and basically had to start over when I went online to play.

#2995 dijeikei

dijeikei

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

You can also copy your ranked chars to local if you feel like testing or whatever.

#2996 Ignus

Ignus

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Are the cdkeys for Civ 5 region locked (Steam)? I'm in Europe now. Previous games that I bought there, weren't (DS3, DNF etc.). But Mafia 2 was for example, I've read somewhere that the same case is with Civ 5, true or not? I don't want to use VPN again to activate it...

#2997 AlexIW

AlexIW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

It is locked. But it's not that hard to use a VPN...

#2998 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

Tony - still didn't get the King Arthur II code. Any suggestions?

Thanks

#2999 Reikon

Reikon

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

Pretty nice deal on Civ V. Too bad I don't have a code though. :(

#3000 rollntider

rollntider

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

Tony, is there any way to gift a PCDD purchase? I already own Civ 5, but I'd like to purchase it for a friend.

The only solution I can think of is buying it, and sending them the steam key. It'd be nice if it was a little more official, but I'll take what I can get.

Thats what I did, bought 2 copies and sent the key to a friend for him to register.