Wow. How did I ever play San Andreas for 162 hours when it's such a mess?

I don't know about you, but I remembered playing both GTA San Andreas and Just Cause in the PS2/Xbox/GC gen and enjoying both immensely(so much so that I had around 162 hours in on San Andreas alone).

So last night I decided to crack open the PStwo slim I got from Target back in April or so for $50 and try out the copy of San Andreas that I bought from a guy at the local flea market.

So my saved game from my memory card I still have loads in and I'm in the back country outside of Las Venturas or so.

First thing I notice when I walk outside the safe house is how blotchy the game looks to me. So I grab a vehicle and start driving towards Los Santos. I then notice how jumpy the other cars on the road are, as they seem to jump forward in spurts.

So I get on the one major highway and within 5 seconds my car is hit 3-4 times by traffic that comes barreling up behind me.

I park my car off to the side and just sit back and watch the carnage as one car after another slams into the back of each other and explodes.

How the hell did I play this game for such a long time in times past?:whistle2:#

Anyone else noticed weird glitches and issues with games they used to love in the PS2 gen? I can't be the only one trying to go back and play a game I liked and finding myself unable to play it for very long.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

How the hell did I play this game for such a long time in times past?:whistle2:#

[/QUOTE]

I wonder that same thing about people playing ANY Rockstar game. I have no answer for it though.

Don't get me wrong. I had a blast with the game for a bit doing the BMX bike super jump trick/glitch(equip a Tec-9, hold down L1 and X, then let go of both n hit circle to fire the gun) and driving around with the monster truck from the trailer park just over the bridge from Los Santos, but the game was not as fun as I remembered otherwise.

I went back to San Andreas (one of my fave games last gen) last year and like you, found everything to be so flawed that I can't believe that I sunk around 90 hours into it.

Yeah, I found GTA san andreas on sale in xbox live market place and said yeah why not. I then loaded the game and threw up in my mouth, still tried to play and decided I couldn't stand the vehicle handling. Glad its not just me.

The "freedom" in those games is a little overrated. It's not very intellectually stimulating when the only interaction options are stab or shoot.

I love GTA and will continue to play the new ones, but I'll take LA Noire's gameplay over classic GTA every time.

Man, I played this game so much it's not funny along with gta III and vice city as well as vcs and lcs. I think the games are awesome but III was the best do to the dark mobish atmosphere.

With games such as Grand Theft Auto, glitches are to be expected. Most of the time, I find them actually amusing. I remember in San Andreas; after running over some pedestrians, a least one them would float awkwardly in midair. A few times, I also seen a vehicle had sunk into a bridge.

Sandbox games are also notorious for game breakers. The worst case I stumbled upon would be in True Crime: New York City. There has been many times where I would attempt to enter a building and the game would not load into it. This also meant the game would not load up into any other areas either.

Of course, there is also the Interior Heaven glitch in San Andreas. Again, this is a game breaker, but at least it is amusing one if done properly and it is also the player's fault for not playing the game properly so it does not count it against the game. The glitch is performed by flying up into the ceiling with the jet pack in the Gaton Gym after killing everyone in it and then the player can explore the area for hidden interiors not usually accessed by normal means.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the glitches in the game(bmx bike super jump was an insane one, jump up like 2-3 stories by firing the Uzi right as you're letting up off the jump button to do a jump), but the cars in some spots chug along as if they're riding on roads made out of molasses.

Now GTA IV/Episodes on the other hand is a hell of a game with the fun/wacky glitches. Favorite one of mine in those games is flying under the map with a chopper into buildings you're not supposed to be able to access the interior of.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Don't get me wrong. I loved the glitches in the game(bmx bike super jump was an insane one, jump up like 2-3 stories by firing the Uzi right as you're letting up off the jump button to do a jump), but the cars in some spots chug along as if they're riding on roads made out of molasses.[/QUOTE]

What...You want to everyday driving? JK.

The issue you come across seems more like poorly programmed AI, which I cannot deny that they are present in San Andreas.

The game probably doesn't hold up well. 3D games don't hold up nearly as well as 2D games. We'll probably be saying the same thing for games this generation 5 years from now.

But I remember having a blast when it first came out. It was the reason I bought a PS2 (slim) and I got my money's worth and then some out of it.

Plus it propelled the wonderful PS2 years of gaming (I was really late to the PS2 game).

Ah nostalgia...

I played through GTA SA once when it first was released and then a 2nd time in 2007. I have been meaning to play through the game again sometime in the next couple of months and hope I still like it was much as I used to. It is my favorite PS2 game. I wish I could say the same about GTA 4, I have been working on it for over 2 years and still haven't finished it. I keep losing interest and the game doesn't seem as fun to me as SA or any of the other PS2 and PSP GTA games.

Once I got past the newness factor of the whole open world thing and being able to run over people/whatever the GTA games just fell apart for me. They're boring. Bad story, bad gameplay, etc. They're far more popular and higher rated than they should be.

[quote name='whoknows']Once I got past the newness factor of the whole open world thing and being able to run over people/whatever the GTA games just fell apart for me. They're boring. Bad story, bad gameplay, etc. They're far more popular and higher rated than they should be.[/QUOTE]

Just because you don't like them, it doesn't mean the general opinion of the games is incorrect. :roll:

3D games do not age well. At all.

You experienced it (at first) without having been tainted by HD systems and all the bells and whistles that come with them. Also SA was the king of the hill back then so it got away with a lot more stuff than a gta game would now.

Thing is, I'm starting to notice some of the same issues in some of the PS3 games that I noticed with San Andreas when I went to play it again. So I guess playing on the HD consoles and now with a 32" HDtv has trained me to look for the 'flaws'.

Lol... I remember when Gran Turismo 1 had "awesome graphics" and "realistic controls" and I sunk in countless hours upgrading cars and expanding my garage... Now I wouldn't play that game if you paid me.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Lol... I remember when Gran Turismo 1 had "awesome graphics" and "realistic controls" and I sunk in countless hours upgrading cars and expanding my garage... Now I wouldn't play that game if you paid me.[/QUOTE]

No doubt, I remember being blown away by GT 1 & 2 both. Not so much anymore, but back then, they blew away the standards that were in place for racing.

I have to agree with everyone complaining about all of the glitches in this game. Just think, we have this same thing to look forward to when we pop Oblivion (Or Skyrim for the matter) in the old console for a go.

bread's done
Back