CAGcast #253: The 2011 Tokyo Game Show Show of Shows

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:33 AM

Link to references stating such or retract.

Why? To prove the obvious? Or do you honestly think that 3D doesn't cause a performance hit?

How's this for a reference: play a game like DOA. Switching off the 3D doubles the framerate.

#32 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

Cheapy's argument for the iPhone is my main argument against the iPhone. I don't want to rebuy the same product every year. I want them to support the expensive piece of hardware for more than just a few months. They should take a few years between models to get it right, instead of constantly putting out new models with little tweaks. It should be like a home console that it is supported with software updates.

And while they do constantly pump out new DS models each year, the vast majority of games can be played on the original DS Phat from 7(?) years ago. (The 3DS games are the exception, of course. But unless it financially fails, the 3DS will be considered the successor to the DS, not just a tweak.) The iPhone is newer than that, but they stopped supporting the the first couple generations already.

And of course there's the battery... don't want to run it down playing a game if I'm expecting an important call, do I?

Basically, there's plenty of reasons the seperate handheld market is still viable. Cheapy, I think you're just not a portable gamer. Do you ever feel like playing your iPhone when you're sitting in front of your Xbox, or do you just play it when it's the most convienent thing to play? Like before you had a iPhone, you'd probably just played your DS/Gameboy in the bathroom cuz you didn't have anything else to play.

#33 iCephalopod

iCephalopod

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

I was going to create an audible account to help you guys out, but they require your credit card info to sign-up so they can auto-renew you after the trial expires. I'm sure you can cancel the auto-renew, but since I'm not that interested in the product, my clicks stopped there.

#34 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

Doodie doo, where are you?

Posted Image

#35 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:51 PM

Signed up for audible for you guys!
Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#36 epicelite

epicelite

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:43 AM

Cheepy, if you think Japan has hot summers. Stay away from Florida.

#37 Orb01

Orb01

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

Signed up for the trial to help with college fund so you're welcome Wombat. Hey Shipwreck, did you ever post that spreadsheet of your G.I. Joe collection that I ask some cagcasts ago or did I miss it?
[URL="http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Haruhiism"][/URL]

#38 jumpiestranger2

jumpiestranger2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

You should have titled this podcast "Poop Free"

#39 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

I thought Shipwreck was joking about the stripper pole until I saw this: http://www.gametrail...-montage/721139
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#40 thakingrocka

thakingrocka

El Profesor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

X-MEN SPOILERS

I understand how Mystique's turn seemed too quick to Wombat, but I feel it was completely justified because she was clearly stunted in terms of maturity. Its her own shallowness that dictates her actions. She was a fool not to see how much she had with Xavier, but is it so crazy to have a character who cannot see the greater picture? She's flawed. She's a young girl overly concerned with body image, which makes her one of the more realistic characters if you ask me.

Also, Xavier failed the test to keep her when he reacted negatively to her greeting him in the kitchen in her true form.

#41 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:42 PM

Signed up for the Audible via the link on the first post, I expect report cards from Sabrina or I will revoke the scholarship! :P

Anyway, the whole iPhone vs. 3DS discussion has been beaten to death. I've given my feeling about this on the past. In fact, I'm just going to copy and paste my take on this from an earlier show out of laziness. Gimme a minute....

I don't have a 3DS (I actually do now), and I've had an iPhone for about a year now, and I still don't get why the two are frequently compared to each other. I like my iPhone, and I've bought many games for it, but there are certain genres that just don't work on that device. I've made the mistake of buying ports of games that don't work with the touch interface. As for the cost disparity, many people would gladly pay $40 for a 3DS Pokemon game, but iPhone games don't cost that much because they're not worth $40!

I still feel the same way. I recently beat Dead Space for iPhone. While I do think it was a great game, the controls were terrible. If the 3DS has games you don't see anywhere else (Pokemon, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, etc.), it will sell well.

#42 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

According to comicvine his 1st appearance was 2006. He might as well have been a red shirt.

A red shirt? A guy who recently survived being touched by Hela, the goddess of death, by adapting and becoming a death god himself isn't a red shirt. I'm not saying I like Darwin, but his death in First Class was quite silly. Also I'm not a huge fan of the Morrison run on X-Men either, but I still know the difference between Pixie and Angel. Not to mention not really knowing much about Emma Frost one of the top 3 characters in the X-books right now. Kind of lacking in the comic book knowledge there...

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#43 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:52 AM

Signed up for Audible trial!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#44 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:47 AM

The Vita isn't that big. Bigger than an iphone, yes. But barely larger than a PSP. Ship makes it sound like it's a Galaxy Tab or something.

http://www.kotaku.co...than-you-think/

#45 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

The Vita isn't that big. Bigger than an iphone, yes. But barely larger than a PSP. Ship makes it sound like it's a Galaxy Tab or something.

http://www.kotaku.co...than-you-think/

I make it sound like a Galaxy Tab, because it's an apt comparison. Check this out.

Galaxy Tab Dimensions: 7.484 in x 4.742 in x 0.472 in
Galaxy Tab Volume: 16.75 inches cubed

PlayStation Vita Dimensions: 7.2 in x 3.289 in x 0.73 in
PlayStation Vita Volume: 17.29 inches cubed

Here's another comparison from Kotaku showing the Vita next to other handhelds: http://cache.gawkera...01/sizetime.jpg
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#46 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

I make it sound like a Galaxy Tab, because it's an apt comparison. Check this out.

Galaxy Tab Volume: 16.75 inches cubed

PlayStation Vita Volume: 17.29 inches cubed

Here's another comparison from Kotaku showing the Vita next to other handhelds: http://cache.gawkera...01/sizetime.jpg

Pwn'd.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#47 Kosh

Kosh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Wow, more misinformation from the Cagcast.

The battery life of the Vita, is actually worse than the 3DS.

It's not, it's actually the same, 3-5 hours.

#48 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't I correct him almost immediately on that? I thought I did. If not, throw it in our pile of misinformation over there.
Posted Image

#49 Kosh

Kosh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, you did. I'm still currently listening and have nothing better to do. :razz:

#50 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

I think most parents try to refrain from purchasing a phone for their kid as long as possible.

If i get a new iphone, i will certainly not be giving my old one to my 4 year old daughter. She can get any DS device she wants, but she'll have to wait till she's at least 12 before she'll get her own phone.

#51 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

BTW: Audible carries Opie and Anthony rebroadcasts. So if you are a fan, it's a good way to pick up a show here or there.

#52 Decker

Decker

Xbox Live Cannon Fodder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

Wombat, you should try the Move Sharpshooter while it's cheap at Game Stop. I don't think Shipwreck did it justice in his description. I'm left handed, and a couple of years ago (before I had yet purchased a Wii), you alerted me to the issues of playing FPS games with the Wii as a lefty. Like you, I struggle aiming with my Right hand and can't get my head around controlling movements with my right thumb. The Sharpshooter by its design allows for you to control movements with your left thumb while still letting you aim with motion control in a totally intuitive and natural way. I won't disagree with Ship that it isn't very well balanced and is heavier in the front, but if you brace it against you with the shoulder stock, that's less of an issue. Besides, we're left-handed and therefor put most of the weight in our dominant hand anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's still not nearly as easy to control movement in a FPS game as it is with a standard controller, but for a different, arcade-like experience, I think the Sharpshooter works pretty damned well.

Ship, you should try to keep your movements small while using the Sharpshooter. As long as you keep the Move pointed somewhere on-screen, it's not too hard to control. It's the big jerky movements and the pointing off the side of the screen that usually causes me problems.

Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying the shows. Keep 'em coming!

decker%2001.jpg

#53 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:49 PM

If it's an apt comparison, it's only apt in showing how much bigger the Tab is. Check the width of the devices. A 1.5 in difference in width is a big difference in a portable device.

Regardless, both pics show that the difference between the Vita and the PSP is nowhere near how it's getting hyped on the Cagcast.

#54 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

If it's an apt comparison, it's only apt in showing how much bigger the Tab is. Check the width of the devices. A 1.5 in difference in width is a big difference in a portable device.

Regardless, both pics show that the difference between the Vita and the PSP is nowhere near how it's getting hyped on the Cagcast.

The PlayStation Vita is 23% larger in volume than a PSP2000/3000. I already think the PSP is large for a portable device and it has hindered the usefulness of it to me. There are numerous situations where I have left the PSP at home because it's cumbersome to carry around - especially if you have it in a case of some sort to protect the screen/analog stick. If you want to take the Vita with you, you either need to wear clothes with much bigger pockets than I do on a daily basis or you are going to have to take a bag/backpack/purse to carry it in (much like you'd need to with a Galaxy Tab).

It's a half inch longer than a PSP and a half inch wider than the PSP. IT IS BIG.
Posted Image

#55 SikFlux

SikFlux

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:08 AM

Great show guys, and thanks for the free audiobook hook-up.. 20 hours of Neil Gaiman's American Gods should keep me company while waiting for the next CAGcast.

Keep up the great work!

#56 Tsiawd

Tsiawd

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

Portable gaming is at an ALL time high right now and will continue for a long time, but its not because of the 3DS or anything sony makes. Smart phones are the Future of gaming. My friend has a 12 year old son... Guess what he wanted to buy? IPOD touch and not a DS. You know what my 5 year old plays in the Car, IPOD touch. You know what adults play? Iphone games. Wombat is, well Wombat again for thinking this. My guess is the Comic book nerd doesnt understand cuz he doesnt have an Iphone or a daughter who can play games yet. Hardcore gamers and ages 6-11 will pick up the new portable systems. Anyone past puberty or casual gamers will all play games via Cell Phones.

#57 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

The misinformation would be declaring the Vita has the same battery life as the 3DS before the Vita ever gets into the wild.

#58 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

The PlayStation Vita is 23% larger in volume than a PSP2000/3000. I already think the PSP is large for a portable device and it has hindered the usefulness of it to me. There are numerous situations where I have left the PSP at home because it's cumbersome to carry around - especially if you have it in a case of some sort to protect the screen/analog stick. If you want to take the Vita with you, you either need to wear clothes with much bigger pockets than I do on a daily basis or you are going to have to take a bag/backpack/purse to carry it in (much like you'd need to with a Galaxy Tab).

It's a half inch longer than a PSP and a half inch wider than the PSP. IT IS BIG.

I think Sony goofed and should have made the Vita even bigger. iPad sized. See the Wii U controller.

Most of the things probably won't leave the house or car or surrounding area anyway. Why be stuck with a portable device that doesn't fit into your pockets anyway.

Edited by trip1eX, 20 September 2011 - 06:55 PM.

#59 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

I rarely have time to comment on shows but I had to come back to express how much the arguments or "discussions" like the one on that show are why I listen to CAG. While I mean no offense to Cheapy and I do enjoy hearing from him and Shipwreck. This is yet another episode where Wombat once again proves he is the voice of the people. Everything he said about the 3DS vs the iPhone is everything I've been yelling at Cheapy thru my headphones for numerous episodes. I know how much everyone hates long ranty comments so I'm just gonna once again say thanks to Wombat for giving volume to my voice on the show, two thumbs up and say great show good sirs. great show

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#60 Tsiawd

Tsiawd

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

"i'll have the Gears of War 3 review up before it comes out!" <--- FAIL