GameFly Nightly Deals: Cars 2 $13, Lego: Pirates $15, LittleBigPlanet 2 $18

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4485 replies to this topic

#4471 PohTayToez

PohTayToez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

Yeah I didn't think I had any until someone posted a pic. My copy of Portal 2 has 2 small chips in it that don't affect gameplay. Makes me wonder if it wears out the disc drive faster than a normal disc though. It's not going to be something most people will notice unless they know what they're looking for.

I wouldn't think so. The edges of the disc don't contact anything during use... I suppose it would have a very minute effect on the balance of the disc, which would only effect the spindle motor. Having worked on dozens of 360 DVD drives, I've never seen a spindle motor wear out.

#4472 emeraldgsl

emeraldgsl

Beginning of the End

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

^I find that only Gamefly discs have these teeth marks. I wonder where they come from? I agree that it's not from the drives because I have played my original copy of Halo 3 like a billion times across different systems and it doesn't even have a scratch, let alone teeth marks.
Posted Image

#4473 ViolentLee

ViolentLee

Still Man Fights

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:28 PM

Received my first GameFly used game, Crysis 2. Happy overall. Disc had some shmutz, but was easily wiped off with spit and a finger. LE code worked like a charm, and everything else was like-new. Will definitely shop there again.

mqqgUvv.jpg   ECqYO0a.jpg
My action/scifi novel, Still Man Fights, is available in paperback and e-book form at Amazon.com.

My new travelogue, Japan Chronicles: of Rock Gods and J-Pop Idols, is also on Amazon.com.

#4474 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

^I find that only Gamefly discs have these teeth marks. I wonder where they come from? I agree that it's not from the drives because I have played my original copy of Halo 3 like a billion times across different systems and it doesn't even have a scratch, let alone teeth marks.

Earlier in the thread there was a link to an article that stated Gamefly was blaming USPS for it. Apparently USPS's disc sorter ends up nicking the discs when sorted and Gamefly said it was not their fault. Was like 2 year old article but I suppose if nothing's changed that it could still be USPS's fault?

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#4475 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

Car 2, lego pirate copies came in today. Great condition like always.

#4476 kit352

kit352

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:41 PM

son of a.. First my mafia 2 has the disk rings on it and now i read about the edge nicks, get home, and find about a dozen of them. should have returned it when i had the chance but ill use this as an excuse not to get anymore disks from them. I consider it lessoned learned and it only cost me 7 bucks. Wish i could break away from gamestop as easily but im working on it.

#4477 DudeImGodly

DudeImGodly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:45 PM

son of a.. First my mafia 2 has the disk rings on it and now i read about the edge nicks, get home, and find about a dozen of them. should have returned it when i had the chance but ill use this as an excuse not to get anymore disks from them. I consider it lessoned learned and it only cost me 7 bucks. Wish i could break away from gamestop as easily but im working on it.

You have a way to exchange that disc.

Think about what you just wrote.

I'm not gonna say in this thread because i have a feeling mods are against.

#4478 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:47 PM

:lol:

#4479 joeyshadows

joeyshadows

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:50 PM

You mean trade it in and buy a new copy? :lol:

#4480 mm07

mm07

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:51 PM

As stated earlier, the disk chips on the edges have no effect at all on the game, so there is no reason to exchange the disk or stop using gamefly.
If you are so worried about pristine copies, why the heck are you buying used.

HEY! There's 10,000 miles on this used car I bought.. WTF
-Mike

#4481 mars009

mars009

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

Just got crysis 2 limited edition for ps3. Just one lil tiny chip, otherwise I would say it is mint. I regret not getting KillZone 3 big time.

#4482 lunasicc

lunasicc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:10 AM

As stated earlier, the disk chips on the edges have no effect at all on the game, so there is no reason to exchange the disk or stop using gamefly.
If you are so worried about pristine copies, why the heck are you buying used.

HEY! There's 10,000 miles on this used car I bought.. WTF
-Mike

QFT.

Based on what I am reading, the chips are just along the edge of the disc which means there are no chips on where the actual data lies, so there is no reason they would effect if your game will work or not.

Remember you can always install the games and if it completes than there shouldn't be any disc read errors.

#4483 DealSeeker2U

DealSeeker2U

Seize the deal!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:14 AM

Got Crysis 2 for XBox360 (limited edition no less) and Dead Space 2 for PS3 (limited edition as well). Both have "chips" around the edges but no scratches on the disks themselves. Given how many people have "chips" and the discs work, I am not complaining so it was a good deal especially since they turned out to be limited editions. :).

#4484 Lucky13

Lucky13

It's Go Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

Just a heads up that there are a few games on sale for with free shipping. Duke Nukem, Medal of Honor, James Bond: Blood Stone, NFS Shift 2 etc etc.
|:ps3: 150+|:br: 300+|:hd: 100+|:dvd: 500+|:ps2: 50+|:pc: too many!

#4485 hkfooie

hkfooie

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:27 AM

After ordering AC:Brotherhood PS3, I got worried reading about all the users reporting chips on their discs. Well, I finally got my copy on saturday, and sure enough, there are multiple noticeable nicks/chips on the edges. However, I'm happy to report that it works flawlessly so far. And, the PS3 version requires a 4GB install to the hard drive (which went smoothly, and about as quick as I'd expect a 4GB install to go). I just wish I could do a full game install, like w/ the 360, just to make sure the whole disc was readable. It always feel nice w/ the 360 when a scratched up game installs to the HD w/o errors.

So, overall a good experience. I don't have any issue w/ the idea of ordering more games from them in the future.

Btw, the multiplayer on that game is a BLAST!

#4486 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:08 AM

There seems to be a new different sale at GameFly, so please continue discussion there: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=306081
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image