Photo
- - - - -

KmartGamer 7.0

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8495 replies to this topic

#8431 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, my stores recently set up tables by the registers with clearance signs for games $19.99 and less. The $14.99 games seem to sell pretty well as the stacks have gone down dramatically over the past few months. AC/DC still gets no love, though.

Unfortunately thanks to an incident a year or two ago they can no longer put the games just in bins on a table by the registers usually. Some shmuck tried running out of the store with 2-3 bins of older games in their hands.

I kinda wish I was there to see the hilarity, as the employees in electronics told me the games were all bouncing out of the bins and by the time they caught him there were maybe 1-2 games left in them.:lol:

Thanks to that above incident all of the cheaper priced games are now locked in individual locking game 'prison' cases.:roll:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#8432 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

IATCG- Josh was referring to spedmunki when he said, "you will never understand how P&L works at a major corporation" but he might as well be talking to you.

All you ever think about is how something affects *you*. You (and all the other whiners about the death of clearance sales) somehow can't seem to grasp that there are all sorts of extraneous factors out there. As counterintuitive as it sounds, a dollar received is not just a dollar received.

When you start thinking about the chain of events that a sale of a $50 game at $5 causes, then maybe you'll get it. You think in terms of a mom and pop shop who can balance their books on a ledger. And you think in terms of your own wallet and your narrow worldview.

If you or any of your ilk paid attention, you'd understand why the clearance cycle for games was a nonstarter.

But feel free to luxuriate in your ignorance and continue to decry the death of clearance.

#8433 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

IATCG- Josh was referring to spedmunki when he said, "you will never understand how P&L works at a major corporation" but he might as well be talking to you.

All you ever think about is how something affects *you*. You (and all the other whiners about the death of clearance sales) somehow can't seem to grasp that there are all sorts of extraneous factors out there. As counterintuitive as it sounds, a dollar received is not just a dollar received.

When you start thinking about the chain of events that a sale of a $50 game at $5 causes, then maybe you'll get it. You think in terms of a mom and pop shop who can balance their books on a ledger. And you think in terms of your own wallet and your narrow worldview.

If you or any of your ilk paid attention, you'd understand why the clearance cycle for games was a nonstarter.

But feel free to luxuriate in your ignorance and continue to decry the death of clearance.

I think you guys are blind. Kmart's clearance is NOT dead.. I mean 15 months later and Halo: Reach (Legendary Edition) dropped from $149.99 to $89.99!

BAM!

Sarcasm aside something should have been done (and was on occasion with the spend x get y coupons or spend x get a free game that costs less then y) to get rid of old games.

Unlike others i don't think it was necessary to reduce game to $1.98 like you still find at sears but an agressive clearance drop to $4.98, $9.98, $14.98, $19.98 etc should have been implemented.

I'm not sure what your Kmart's look like but the shelves at mine are consumed by shitty DS and Wii shovelware and old NCAA games for PS2. Most of these games are $14.99 or more.

It's just been my experience that for most games that have been out ofr more then six months the price doesn't drop unless the MSRP does.

To strengthen my point just take a look at the pricing for some of the older CE's at Kmart.

Until literally this month Halo: Reach Legendary was still $149.99 and I've seen many places where KZ3 Helghast edition was still marked at $129.99

But at the end of the day who cares; it's not my job to do Josh's for him and to his credit I got the best possible deal on every new release in 2011 for the best possible price at KMart. Also if I decided to pass at launch I knew a month or two later I could still get the best possible deal on a title at Kmart.

It is my hope that Josh can find an opportunity with a company that will truly support his talents. Other companies were forced into becoming more competitive with launch prices and promotions because of what he was doing at Kmart. That was evident with many of the deals at Amazon Walmart and elsewhere.

Also if Josh leaves Kmart and the deals go with him I think that upper managment will be shocked at how poorly that department will do in the upcoming months.

#8434 grap3fruitman

grap3fruitman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Why does confoosious consistently take any sort of remark that doesn't put Kmart in a perfect light as a personal insult?

#8435 harveyiscool

harveyiscool

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

Wait until I am not here at all, I'm the only one that even used savings coupons really in hard lines. Sux that it feels all the momentum we had going into this holiday has been so abruptly derailed.

Jeez, Kmart is really going to go down hard and fast. You tried everything you could. I don't know your profit/loss this past year, but I would be confident to say the sales had to skyrocket in gaming. Your deals were top of the line. I can't imagine another company with a better financial outlook wouldn't want to pick you up and make you the head of their gaming/electronics division. While I've had some criticisms, it was never on you, your constant presence here, or the game deals. Best of luck to you in 2012, I hope the CEO's realize they made a critical mistake soon enough.

#8436 F-Zero

F-Zero

Show me your moves!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

I thank Josh for his hardwork and the deals he got us. Certainly made a few coupon trains myself.

I think one of the worst things about my kmart's game area is theres clearance games ALL OVER the place, discounted games right by them, and the new games are actually hiding in the corner of the electronics section, and you can't even see in the massive case of over stocked games because of the bad lighting in the spot. Did I mention this part of the store is downstairs where you get no cell phone signal? Yeah... Its also a very old store, I've been to a brand new Big Kmart and its alot nicer in how it's setup, but alot of the old ones are cramped, and really needed some just basic revamping.. I just see bad management as the issue for Kmart/Sears.

#8437 Phenomic

Phenomic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

I'll be making a decision very soon, hopefully everyone will still be cool with me posting just as a gamer looking for deals and not making them.

Yep, you better stick around and scrounge around for deals with us. Place wouldn't be the same without you even if you're just doing the same thing we all are.

That being said I assume you haven't 100% made your decision, but it seems like you pretty much already know what probably has to happen.

Been a damn good two years for sure. At least in our stores case: 2010 was always rough for finding customer service but in 2011 things changed. Stuff got organized and I could always find where I didn't believe I was being lied to like before. Things thus had to happen on a local level but, I 100% believe it wouldn't have if you weren't around.

Be proud of what you've managed to built up and even if SHCorp doesn't see the immediate benefits of it all. I do believe there is some what of a Karma effect and well free market economics works for a reason. One of my good college professors would tell us just because businesses aren't hiring a ton of people doesn't mean good firms don't see value in accomplishments, and with a backing like yours, dollar amounts you've accumulated doing all this, customer support skills etc. Competitor firms see this stuff and snatch up the good people if you give them a chance.

#8438 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

To put it in perspective, Kmarts launch deals this year was so good that even resellers could make money off them. Considering how high ebay fees are, that's a small miracle in itself.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#8439 htz

htz

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0471435937

Kmart's 10 fatal mistakes: 1. Brand mismanagement; 2. Not knowing its customers; 3. Underestimating Wal-Mart; 4. Lousy locations; 5. Ignoring store appearance; 6. Technology aversion; 7. Supply chain disconnect; 8. Loss of focus; 9. Strategy du jour; 10. Repeating the same mistakes.
Squeezed by thrifty and technologically savvy Wal-Mart on one side, and trendy, more fashion forward Target on the other, one wonders if the once-mighty Kmart still has a prayer. Hard to say, but if the chain's immediate history of monumental mismanagement offers any clues, it's just a matter of time before Kmart flat-lines — barring a miracle.

Found an interesting book on amazon about kmart. It was written back in 2003 and looks like the same thing still applies to this day for kmart.

#8440 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0471435937

Found an interesting book on amazon about kmart. It was written back in 2003 and looks like the same thing still applies to this day for kmart.

Too bad the book was printed ten years ago... It still would make an interesting read

#8441 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

The target story is fascinating. They managed to make it hip to shop retail department stores. I love target myself but wouldn't step foot inside a walmart unless I'm really desperate.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#8442 htz

htz

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

Too bad the book was printed ten years ago... It still would make an interesting read

The reasons the author listed on why kmart failed 10 years ago still applies to this day. Nothing has changed...:lol:

#8443 woz3323

woz3323

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Just to jump in about the P&L conversation: One of the most valuable things to a store is shelf-space. If there is a product that is not selling, it is taking away prime real estate for a product that will. One solution stores have taken is "bins" to take products off the shelf, but this clutters aisles and departments and detracts from the shelf. In order to move product, you have to clearance it at a certain point and accept loss. Discounting aggressively and sooner helps you "cut your losses".

I'm not defending $1 or $2 games that were rumored earlier (where was I when that happened?), but there are benefitial reasons for a company to do this. In running a business, there are two important factors; EBITDA (basically P&L) and cash flow. Clearance games help cash flow. If a company runs out of cash flow, it is doomed.

When you are working with tangible products that take up space and require management (facing shelves, inventory, etc), it can be an issue to hold on to old product and can be better to sell even at a loss to the purchase price.

Just my two cents...

#8444 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

woz -I agree. For a healthy business, that's how you would do it. Inventory is a bad thing. This is true of every business from car dealerships to supermarkets.

(And here, I'm reading between the lines of what Josh has told us in the past along with my own conjecture. But mostly my own conjecture.)

Spoiler

Edited by confoosious, 01 January 2012 - 06:27 PM.

Ees7Y.jpg

#8445 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

Josh - Hate to hear this kind of talk in here, but I'm confident that all will end well.

Like many of us have said- you took a store that none of us were shopping in and made it a weekly stop for us. You established a working sales program that impacted the rest of the market (amazon, best buy, etc) and established a busy web portal for your product. If you improved sales and the brand as much as it feels like you have in this thread- you are gold. Hell- you have a well documented internet history of your ability to work the late hours, provide solid customer service, and promote a company culture that showed us that even if the store was awful, someone in the company would make it right.

Best of luck to you and your family, and may 2012 be better than the last.
Spoiler

#8446 nnthomas

nnthomas

meeble meeble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

Closing down stores in Toledo is a blessing. The one on Reynolds was a disaster.

The reason I only shop at Kmart is because of the deals. I have been humiliated many times as a customer and I feel belittled every time I am forced to walk into one of their stores. Not to mention spending five minutes hunting someone down in ghost aisles because the electronics department is constantly unmanned.

So do we know for sure if this is the end of coupons and other Kmart deals?

The Alexis one is soooo good. I've never had an issue there. And it's no surprise it survived the culling.

Love the deals and the help you gave me Josh, so I'll be looking forward to what you have in store or down the road either at Sears or another company. You are dropping some pretty hefty foreshadowing here.
Posted Image

#8447 htz

htz

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

I also want to say thanks to stockboy which I think is Mark. He has been a great help in solving some of my problems.

#8448 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

I also want to say thanks to stockboy which I think is Mark. He has been a great help in solving some of my problems.

FYI, Stock Boy (Andrew Moench) and Mark Korich are two different people; of course, that doesn't mean they don't both deserve mountains of praise for the help they've given us. :D

I'll echo my question since it was lost among the well-wishes for Josh: Has anyone ever had success buying an Amazon or Best Buy GC at a Kmart or Sears using a Sears GC?

Edited by Vigilante, 01 January 2012 - 08:57 PM.
Added question asked earlier

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: Kirby: Triple Deluxe :ps3: Just Cause 2; Tales of Xillia 2  :vita: One Piece: Unlimited World RED

Last Beaten/Completed Game(s) [9/18]: :vita: Sly 2: Band of Thieves (4.25/5)

Last Watched Film [8/9]: The Raid 2 (insane choreography, complex story)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#8449 nietzsche74

nietzsche74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Is Splatterhouse still on sale?

#8450 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

Is Splatterhouse still on sale?

I don't think so. I remember seeing a post claiming it was $9.99 (or similar price) but when I tried to buy it two weeks ago it scanned at $19.99

#8451 htz

htz

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

FYI, Stock Boy (Andrew Moench) and Mark Korich are two different people; of course, that doesn't mean they don't both deserve mountains of praise for the help they've given us. :D

I'll echo my question since it was lost among the well-wishes for Josh: Has anyone ever had success buying an Amazon or Best Buy GC at a Kmart or Sears using a Sears GC?

All this time, I thought Mark was stockboy. :drool:

As for purchasing Amazon/Best Buy gift card with a Sears gift card, I assume it will work. I used Toys R US gift cards to buy Amazon gift cards and Best Buy gift cards to buy Amazon gift cards. I don't see why Sears would not be the same. But then again I never tried it myself since I didn't even knew Sears sell Best Buy/Amazon gift cards.:-k

#8452 vc318

vc318

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

Happy new year everyone!

I don't usually post here but I just wanted to wish Josh the very best. I'm sure that whatever you decide to do, you will be successful. Thanks again for being one of the few people that actually care about Kmart and its customers. Best of luck to you always. :)

#8453 ScottsUSERID

ScottsUSERID

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:06 AM

I am sad to see the end of deals for new games coming out. This should of really been a blueprint for the game industry. New games should be 40 dollars, especially when they are released half done, need to be patched, and are basically beta projects for future DLC. I will not be buying new games anymore to support this practice from other retailers. K mart had the rite idea meeting the demand of the economy and how the market has been shaping. Best Buy, Target, Wal mart need to get a clue now, but I doubt they ever will.

#8454 Caddywompus21

Caddywompus21

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:09 AM

I hope someone from Amazon is watching this thread and snatches Josh up. Josh + Amazon= 2012 Holiday redemption.

Hopefully everything works out for you Josh. You single handedly changed the reputation of K-mart for the vast majority of us in such a quick time. Your dedication to this site is truly appreciated, thanks for all your hard work to get us these deals.

#8455 nietzsche74

nietzsche74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:29 AM

I know this really isn't the place to ask this, but are the DVDs of Don't be afraid of the dark and Contagion really going to be on sale for $7.99 on tuesday? It looks like they are judging by the online weekly ad, but if you look at the actual circular it looks like that price will only apply to Marley and Me (from the way the price is set directly on it's picture.)

And if you look at the current online prices, Marley and me is priced closest to $7.99 ($8.99), while Contagion and Don't be afraid of the dark are both priced at about $20. But I must repeat, the online circular really gives the impression that all three of them (in addition to Shark Night) will be on sale for $7.99.

#8456 josekortez

josekortez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:30 AM

For those CAGs who have been following the ongoing K-Mart games clearance, some of the previous clearance games have been marked down further. I picked up the following games on Sunday:

Dark Star One: Broken Alliance (360) - $9.99
Dead Space: Extraction (Wii) - $9.99
Excitebots with Wii Wheel (Wii) - $14.99
Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits box set (DS) - $9.99
Resonance of Fate (360) - $14.99

I would have passed on the Guitar Hero On Tour box set since they had a bunch of them, but I had already purchased the other On Tour: Decades standalone game from Best Buy for $2.99 on Black Friday. Anyway, I also got lucky and purchased the last copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) for $49.99. Not on clearance, but a hard game to find factory sealed for a decent price. I didn’t want to leave it there because it might not have been there when I went back.

I also saw a few other deals including the Fallout 3: GOTY (360) for $19.99 and the Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades box set (DS) for $9.99. The Band Hero box sets for PS2 and PS3 were $39.99 each. I saw lots of the standalone Band Hero/Guitar Hero/Rock Band titles for $9.99 each. Unfortunately, I couldn’t carry as many of the games as I wanted back to the price scanner without drawing a lot of attention.

I should have gotten Yakuza 4 scanned because according to another thread, it's $14.99 now, but I can't personally confirm that price.

#8457 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

The problem is, since you are the ultimate fan boy I am referring to, is that you have switched around my entire point and still lie about it. It obviously makes sense to anyone level-headed on my point. I never became angry that SHC "couldn't wrangle deals while he was out". I was upset that, for a very large corporation, no one else could step in and fill his shoes while he was out. For god's sake, take 8 months if you must, but the entire coupon/game deals should not come to a complete halt because one person is not there.

If that is callous and deriding to someone who just lost a family member, then you are deranged. I don't know how many times I have repeated this, but you constantly twist it around to make your stand stronger and diminish mine.

Then again, it doesn't really surprise me that no one else can step up and handle that after I am seeing 100-120 stores close and unlimited complaints.

No one cares about what you were whining about because the sole reasoning behind your whining was that you couldn't stock your eBay store.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#8458 animalspinners

animalspinners

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

The reasons the author listed on why kmart failed 10 years ago still applies to this day. Nothing has changed...:lol:

Which is why K-Mart is still suffering. If you look at the last two years of this thread you can see how most of the problems almost everyone in this thread has had are reflected in that list... a list written TEN YEARS AGO.

Anyone could look at that list and see how it still affects K-Mart, and that's how you know they will never go anywhere but down as long as the same people keep running the show.

I strongly feel that Josh continuing to stay at K-Mart is a waste of his potential... I feel like the brand just holds the guy back, and he needs to work someplace where his ideas, which are extremely good, are allowed to thrive. The dude turned K-Mart around, imagine what he could do when he's not being held back.

And about the clearance prices, it is very clear those cheap prices weren't working out for K-Mart at all, and its really obvious why: they had to bring Josh in and get rid of whoever the original video game buyer was that kept dropping prices to $2.

If those clearance prices were making money and a good idea, that guy would still be working at K-Mart. Obviously, they weren't, and Josh got brought in.

#8459 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Anyone could look at that list and see how it still affects K-Mart, and that's how you know they will never go anywhere but down as long as the same people keep running the show.

THIS is why the company is in trouble, since the same morons are running the company and running it into the ground.

And about the clearance prices, it is very clear those cheap prices weren't working out for K-Mart at all, and its really obvious why: they had to bring Josh in and get rid of whoever the original video game buyer was that kept dropping prices to $2.

If those clearance prices were making money and a good idea, that guy would still be working at K-Mart. Obviously, they weren't, and Josh got brought in.

EVERY store does clearance pricing. Target frequently drops games to 75% off and sometimes at 75% off that means stuff is priced at <gasp> $5.:shock: In order to get rid of old shit you have to price it cheap enough or advertise the hell out of it in order for it to move. If one option is not possible(advertising it), then you price it cheap enough and people will buy it up.

Yes. It doesn't make good business sense to drop stuff to $2, but neither does leaving stuff stagnate on the shelves for 5 years or more and take up valuable real estate that could be better used for newer products.

Posted Image

#8460 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

For those CAGs who have been following the ongoing K-Mart games clearance, some of the previous clearance games have been marked down further. I picked up the following games on Sunday:

Dark Star One: Broken Alliance (360) - $9.99
Dead Space: Extraction (Wii) - $9.99
Excitebots with Wii Wheel (Wii) - $14.99
Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits box set (DS) - $9.99
Resonance of Fate (360) - $14.99

I would have passed on the Guitar Hero On Tour box set since they had a bunch of them, but I had already purchased the other On Tour: Decades standalone game from Best Buy for $2.99 on Black Friday. Anyway, I also got lucky and purchased the last copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) for $49.99. Not on clearance, but a hard game to find factory sealed for a decent price. I didn’t want to leave it there because it might not have been there when I went back.

I also saw a few other deals including the Fallout 3: GOTY (360) for $19.99 and the Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades box set (DS) for $9.99. The Band Hero box sets for PS2 and PS3 were $39.99 each. I saw lots of the standalone Band Hero/Guitar Hero/Rock Band titles for $9.99 each. Unfortunately, I couldn’t carry as many of the games as I wanted back to the price scanner without drawing a lot of attention.

I should have gotten Yakuza 4 scanned because according to another thread, it's $14.99 now, but I can't personally confirm that price.

I hate to break this to you, but Darkstar One has been $5 at a store called Five Below for a long time now. Moreover, I think $19.99 is the MSRP for FO3 GOTY. As for Yakuza 4, it's ONLY the copies that have a sticker over the original UPC on the package that ring up $14.99. They also usually have another sticker on the top of the case that says 'value games' or something similar and the price of $14.99 marked right on it.

Posted Image